Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WWZD
Nov 17, 2010

it all makes sense now
Hi PI. Three days ago, my cat just up & decided she would no longer go to her food and water bowls by herself, she had to be carried to them like the Queen of Sheba. What gives?

Background: I've had cats all my life & have dealt with the picky eaters, but I've never seen anything like this. Her bowls are on a low end table (19-inch vertical) and she has always jumped up no problem, as well as onto our bed (23-inch vertical). Out of the blue she starts acting like jumping on the end table to eat requires NASA engineering. Still, she jumps on the bed & other surfaces, no problem. The bowls are on big desk calendar, so there's no slipping or anything. She jumps on the glass coffee table in the living room, no problem as well.

We are trying to just let her go until she gets hungry enough, but she makes herself a general meowing pest underfoot until I pick her up and physically take her to her bowl. Then she snarfs it like she's going before a firing squad. Same with her water, except even though the water in her bowl must be pristine for her to consider it, she will jump into the shower to lap up our nasty leftover shower water.

Of course, we suspended the little daily treat until we figure this out. She is peeing & pooping just fine, no change. She's not in any pain when she's picked up, not vocalizing or flinching, nothing like that. Otherwise, she's her normal purring happy self. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong behaviorally, except taking her to the bowl when she won't leave me alone. She'll eat hungrily, then go crash like a normal cat in daylight.

She was a rescue straight off the streets, but she's the only cat, so there's no guarding issues or such. We've had her 7 years. Her last checkup was great, she was even a little overweight. The vet just stressed portion control, which we implemented immediately, 1/2 cup a day, Purina Indoor, which she has always liked. She looks very healthy.

Any suggestions are welcome. I hope we don't have to play the cat food roulette game. Like I said, she eats the food when she's put in front of it.

Lil Miss Walnut Brain is making me crazy. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So she's jumping up on stuff like your bed and tables as normal except for when she wants to eat? Because if that isnt the case and she's avoiding all jumping she might be having leg/joint issues.

WWZD
Nov 17, 2010

it all makes sense now

SynthOrange posted:

So she's jumping up on stuff like your bed and tables as normal except for when she wants to eat?

Yes, she is jumping normally onto everything else *but* the food table. I have always put the food on the table just to get the bowls off the floor, easier to keep everything clean, and also to give her just that little bit more jumping exercise.

Yesterday I bought better food & put the bowls on the floor. She seems to be happy with that. I've just never seen a cat change up something so suddenly for no apparent reason, with no change in anything else.

Thanks.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
All I can suggest is that your cat may have jumped and missed and hurt itself. And now is wary of that jump. Is it a problem to put food on the floor?

WWZD
Nov 17, 2010

it all makes sense now
I went ahead and put the bowls on the floor and she seems content, so that was the solution. It was just nice having them off the floor, helped keep everything a little bit cleaner. She used to love to jump on the table & hang out under the lamp, but I guess that changed. Thanks.

• Locked thread