Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I use autotempest mostly for car searching, lets you search all over the place.

I can see moving from a Lotus to a P-car if you want something a little more usable for normal stuff. If it was an Elise I'd be interested but Exige is out of my price range.

edit: page snipe, have a picture from last weekend doing 105k oil change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I have kept my eye on the 991 market for a while because someday (when I can bring myself to sell the Exige) I plan on picking one up and it is depressing how few manuals there are. I typically look at cargurus and occasionally BaT; are there other sites I should look at? Looking at 991.2 Carrera T, S, or 991.1 Carrera S/GTS.

I have this thought, based on no evidence at all, that manuals are bought up fairly quickly when they do show up.

I’ve bought three Porsches via Rennlist so far. You tend to get a higher percent of enthusiast cars that have been owned by the type of person that posts on rennlist.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I got mine on Ebay :v:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

TheBacon posted:

I’ll take the exige off your hands for free so you don’t have to hem and haw about selling it. You can toss in the QV too if you really have to.

But seriously a 911 seems like an extremely different experience than an exige unless you get a GT product. Is that what you are looking for?

It has taken me a while to admit that it just doesn't fit in my life anymore. Over a decade ago when I had the Elise I was single and doing one track weekend a month. With two kids, it's incredibly rare that I get the opportunity to drive where I don't have to pick them up or drop them off somewhere. I need to flip the value of my daily vs. fun/track cars. It's not worth having a very expensive car that I can't drive much. I want something my boys can ride in.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, my tolerance for the brutal ride and noise has severely diminished. The 911 starts to make a lot of sense when you want a light-ish, small-ish car that can seat four but still do the fun sports car stuff.

So a 911 daily and then a year or two after that I get an S2000 or ND2 Miata as a cheap track/fun option.

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve bought three Porsches via Rennlist so far. You tend to get a higher percent of enthusiast cars that have been owned by the type of person that posts on rennlist.

Good call. I'll keep an eye on that as well. Bonus with private party transactions in AZ is no sales tax.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My suspicion re: 991s is they are being traded in or are still driven. The trade volume is likely just lower. That said, the PDK's rise to prominence happened with the 981 and 991 so, the ratio of manuals to autos is going to skew further to autos in that generation (and the ones following).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
991+ era of the 911 makes for a great sporty daily, they make up a larger percentage than you'd guess at of the vehicles I see of (the semi-idle rich) people doing errands/going to lunch in here in the Hollywood hills area since they're actually practical to drive in real life city conditions/parking lots etc. So probably not as much of a manual crossover for that sort of user.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Elite Taco posted:

My suspicion re: 991s is they are being traded in or are still driven. The trade volume is likely just lower. That said, the PDK's rise to prominence happened with the 981 and 991 so, the ratio of manuals to autos is going to skew further to autos in that generation (and the ones following).

I've had the same thought about the timing of PDK and the 991/981 generation.

Ether Frenzy posted:

991+ era of the 911 makes for a great sporty daily, they make up a larger percentage than you'd guess at of the vehicles I see of (the semi-idle rich) people doing errands/going to lunch in here in the Hollywood hills area since they're actually practical to drive in real life city conditions/parking lots etc. So probably not as much of a manual crossover for that sort of user.

Very true! My FIL has a base 991.2 C2 convertible and I've never really liked driving it. The instant gearshift of PDK or DCTs feels artificial and too... precise. Maybe I need to try PDK in a canyon or track environment but I don't really like it for the street.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Very true! My FIL has a base 991.2 C2 convertible and I've never really liked driving it. The instant gearshift of PDK or DCTs feels artificial and too... precise. Maybe I need to try PDK in a canyon or track environment but I don't really like it for the street.

We had a manual 987.1 for almost a decade, and now have a 987.2 PDK.

The PDK won me over: I leave it in automatic mode, but interfere with manual gear changes all the time, and it’s never annoyed me by switching gears up too early. It’s so clever that if you’re going a constant speed and almost unconsciously push the accelerator down in preparation to speed up, it preemptively shifts down and ‘waits’ to see what you want to do.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

morothar posted:

We had a manual 987.1 for almost a decade, and now have a 987.2 PDK.

The PDK won me over: I leave it in automatic mode, but interfere with manual gear changes all the time, and it’s never annoyed me by switching gears up too early. It’s so clever that if you’re going a constant speed and almost unconsciously push the accelerator down in preparation to speed up, it preemptively shifts down and ‘waits’ to see what you want to do.

I too love the PDK. It’s basically spoiled me for other automatic transmissions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Two things:

1) My buddy wants to unload the Bose audio in his '06 Cayenne Turbo. To that end, he has designed a black box that he's hoping will permit this. He is an IT tech, and he has a firm grasp on why it doesn't swap out, and made a chip. He just got his chip order back last week, and he's fabbing up an interface. I will keep you posted.

2) My '05 Cayenne V6 wasn't sending wiper fluid to the back window. Today, while checking the tubes at the washer pump & finding no problem, I found washer fluid pooling on the front passenger footwell when I triggered the rear washer.

After some digging & disassembly I found a spot at the A-pillar, just above the level of the dashboard, where the hose that travels up the A-pillar is joined to the hose rising from the reservoir by a hard fitting - which was disconnected. The connectors weren't broken or anything. I snapped them together, and hit the washer again.

And this is where it gets weird: it wasn't leaking at the connection at all - but then it started raining down from the ceiling at the back of the cargo area.

Removing the rear ceiling panel aft of the headliner revealed another hard-line connection, also disconnected.

Snapped them together, and now I have a functioning rear washer.

Now, I was prepared for there to be a plastic fatigue issue with this connector - even though they snapped together with some authority. But two? Pressure might part one, but it can't part two.

The PO was the first owner - the wife of a dentist, who was in her 60s when she purchased it new. I have the window sticker, and all of the records. Car was never in an accident, and there is no sign that either of these areas were ever opened before. There was light rust on the unpainted bulkhead end at the firewall, but no issue with the fuse bank, which is right under it.

My guess is that this was not connected at the factory, and that she may never have used it, or rarely tried - and didn't care enough to get it fixed if it didn't work. It could also be some kind of malice, though I can't really imagine such a scenario.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PainterofCrap posted:

n't part two.

The PO was the first owner - the wife of a dentist, who was in her 60s when she purchased it new. I have the window sticker, and all of the records. Car was never in an accident, and there is no sign that either of these areas were ever opened before. There was light rust on the unpainted bulkhead end at the firewall, but no issue with the fuse bank, which is right under it.

My guess is that this was not connected at the factory, and that she may never have used it, or rarely tried - and didn't care enough to get it fixed if it didn't work. It could also be some kind of malice, though I can't really imagine such a scenario.

Maybe the interior dipped below the freezing point of the washer fluid once in the history of the truck? That's so weird.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
bedevilment, most likely

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I saw Goody Painter with the Devil!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
motherf-

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shop might be able to patch that from the inside. Is it leaking?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, fairly high chance that should be repairable.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
lol no, that tire is toast. I'm getting a new one.

Luckily, the shop decided to warranty it, which they typically do not do on the 265/35 tires. I pick the car up in the morning. That tire was on the car less than 24 hours!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

kinda ended in a weird place, but ok. Sorry for your loss.

I got all 5s today:

:five:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Oof. I got an 8mm bolt in one of my rear tires a month ago but they were able to patch it from inside. I am sure Porsche would be horrified at such a thing and prefer I immediately toss out my near-new Pilot Sports but I'm not planning on any epic marathon Autobahn runs so I think I'll survive.

Just put the 987.2 away for the winter since I live in the cursed north. Literally started snowing the same day I drove to the garage where it'll sit. Keeping it on a Ctek maintenance charger so hopefully it'll just be a matter of firing it up in the spring.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
They ended up patching mine, too. I asked the due if it would impact the speed rating of the tire and he said no so... woot. I have two more track days before I'm done for the year and I'll be interested to see the impact on a fresh set of tires. Still unclear whether I want to choose to afford consistent track time.

I'm having fun finding out!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A well done patch is fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If it were closer to the shoulder/sidewall they probably would have replaced it but as long as it was only a point or two that went through (not a big rip) it should not impact anything.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

Still unclear whether I want to choose to afford consistent track time.

I'm having fun finding out!

I’m in a similar place. I’m not sure where this rabbit hole of HPDE I’ve started down ends but I’m having so much fun I’ve decided that the answer is not important.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I’m in a similar place. I’m not sure where this rabbit hole of HPDE I’ve started down ends but I’m having so much fun I’ve decided that the answer is not important.

Same. Now that I have fresh tires, I'll be interested to see how many track miles they can take. At $1,400/set I'll know pretty quick if I can keep this up. My general track goal would probably be 4 events/year.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I ordered a 996 gauge cluster for my car and the spin on oil filter adapter.

I also ordered a 987 engine cover so i can save 3lbs and go faster. I have hopes that its bigger shape might allow me to fit a 996 intake, but w/e.

Heading to eagle's canyon on Sunday to get better at driving on track.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The spin on adapter is the way to go for sure.

Why do you want a 996 cluster? What do you gain from that?

Is the ECU going to play nice with it out of the box?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I get to enable the onboard computer so I'll know what the temperature it before I get out of the car :)

Also, I get oil pressure and battery voltage (lol). Mostly it's a way to enable the OBC and add more gauges. I guess the speedo goes to 200 now instead of 175 (lol again).

Apart from the OBC and gauges it's a fun tinker project that I'll enjoy doing when it's too cold to go zoom around. I shouldn't have any issues with the ECU, but I have to install an oil pressure sending unit to make it work on the cluster.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My toddler threw a tantrum this morning because he had to ride in the Macan and not the 993 to daycare. Kind of cute watching him say "this auto" before melting down.

I'm sure this moment will be less funny in 20 years when he's a spoiled shithead.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

My toddler threw a tantrum this morning because he had to ride in the Macan and not the 993 to daycare. Kind of cute watching him say "this auto" before melting down.

I'm sure this moment will be less funny in 20 years when he's a spoiled shithead.

Lmao my daughter pats the 335 and says my car most days. She hasn't been IN that car in a year. Does not give a hoot about the 440 daily driver.

If I still have these cars, or similar replacements in 15 years, she's going to steal the manual and drag race her brother, I just know it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

LOL. I believe this happened, but it is almost like one of those rightwinger tweets where they claim their 2 year old questions the validity of social welfare programs and quotes Milton Friedman

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hell yeah

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

LOL. I believe this happened, but it is almost like one of those rightwinger tweets where they claim their 2 year old questions the validity of social welfare programs and quotes Milton Friedman

I think it's funny too (and he did it again this morning). I think it's because I let him play around in the driver's seat of the 993, and when we go for drives he sits in the front seat as opposed to the rear.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

What’s the consensus on the 1G Panamera? The prices are low enough to be pretty tempting. I have to have room for 3 and 911 prices are insane right now. I figure most Panemeras were bought by olds and lightly used so should be in decent shape.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The turbo M48 V8 in them is borderline indestructible (vs the non-turbo version which all end up with bore scoring eventually).
The driveline should be stout otherwise regardless.
They have rather weird factory wheel offsets (+70 wtf?) but if you can get over the ungainly back half design, they're pretty great imo.

Edit: Driving dynamics wise, they're wonderful to power slide on frozen lakes at 80km/h kicking up snow rooster tales.
I have no idea what they're like to live with as a daily.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 15, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The guy that sold me my Cayenne has a turbo Panamera that he's selling to make room for his turbo Cayenne. He loves it; just wanted a Cayenne more.

He's also been through the punch list and fixed it's illnesses and sins.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Hell yeah

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Help! This thing is blocking my boxster's parking spot:

A buddy let me borrow this to try out the seats. I'm thinking about getting some 991 seats for my little roadster. The jump from a 986 S to a 991 GTS is astounding. It also covered the question of if I'd ever want a modern 911. Sounds kinda like a no. I think my vintage is gonna be 996.2 or 997.1 based on what I prefer in my 986 to the 991. It's one hell of a car, though. I definitely prefer the more raw feel of my old p car.

This thing has TERRIBLE vibes for DIY ;)

The kids fit in this one, though. I picked them up from school in it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Assuming I am unable to convince my wife that I need a 911, would the thread’s second choice be a Panamera or Macan GTS?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Panamera Sport Turismo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Omerta posted:

Assuming I am unable to convince my wife that I need a 911, would the thread’s second choice be a Panamera or Macan GTS?

Boxster, imo.