Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MortLansky posted:

Jesus christ can we finally slow down the whole LS swap bandwagon? Every mechanical vulnerability ever, regardless of make, can be solved by shoving in a pushrod V8 if you went by the way people talk on non-manufacturer specific car forums. The amount of times the suggestion comes up vs. the actual number of people driving around on real-world functioning swaps (in 911s, anyway) must be in massive disparity. Either buy a Porsche and accept what it costs or go get a Corvette or something if you're so concerned about getting eaten by maintenance. Don't drive around in some stupid fake German hillbilly cruise missile with a frankenstein wiring harness that makes engineers cry.

Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive but if you're gonna do an LS swap at least use a 928 or something that kind of actually makes sense instead of hacking up a perfectly good 911.

And so PADL begins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Here's a kind of close one, just paint it green :v: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5835452868.html
It's like 10 minutes away from me and keeps popping up in my searches.

Off topic but that seems like it's making way too little power for what's done to it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If you didn't want to sell it, you shouldn't have listed it. :confused: Who cares how he was going to use it, that isn't your concern.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

It wasn't listed for sale, it was a PM message on another forum.

And it is my concern if the guy wants to test drive it in the winter or have me jump through hoops to get winter tires mounted on it for him so he can.

That being said, guy was under the impression it would be a good winter driver. It has 3.75" of ground clearance with an incredibly stiff suspension. It won't be unless he is trying to make a plow so I am helping the poor guy from making an expensive mistake.

e: Just to be clear, I didn't tell him I wouldn't sell it to him. On the contrary, I said "Hey, if you give me my price I will sell it to you but I am telling you I think it's a mistake." and he took my advice.

Fair enough, that makes a bit more sense with the context.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091828452
I don't think it's necessarily a bad price at $7800.

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

wallaka posted:

It's a mid-engine car, the engine is in the middle.

Yep, but how much poo poo do you have to remove to even get to the engine? Seems like that would be a total pain to work on unless you did everything from underneath.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

It also seemed to annoy several tree hugging prius drivers who don't like what I drive (sports cars, V8 SUVs) when I reminded them that I'm likely more eco-friendly then they are

Motronic posted:

Some turbo lag, but I understand you can cut that about in half by straight piping the secondary cats. So that's on the list for this spring/summer.

Heh

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Super filtered hot air intake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I rode in one of these a few years back with my instructor at Putnam Park. Holy poo poo that was a good time. That was my first experience being in a Porsche. :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

I bet you could get quite the deal.

What you save in dollars you lose in dignity.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

On the topic of servicing, I should probably stick to the dealer for service while my car is still under warranty, right?

Unless you know a good independent. Also make sure they follow the maintenance schedule vs. making poo poo up. Lots of dealers in general will have their own suggestions for "maintenance" that may not line up with the engineers that designed the drat thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

keyframe posted:

I am now the proud owner of a 718 boxster s :allears:
I'm jealous

keyframe posted:

Paying 2700 a year
Yet not jealous

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

edit: nm

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dislike button posted:

Took this today outside the DR office. 911 Targa 4S with PDK and PCCB. I love the color (Miami Blue)

Why would they make the top a different blue? It looks so strange with the silver and other, good, blue.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

The exposed shifter linkage is also quickly growing on me

Me, it's making me grow. :haw:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You have room in there to fit a die grinder to cut at the bolt between the clamp? Might be worth a shot if you have that.

Was the nut rounded off? If you can get a socket on it I'd try that and torque the poo poo out of it and try to get it to snap off.

E: another thought. You may not have a torch, but this is part of the exhaust. Drive the car around and get it nice and warm on it's own and then try. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I've had success before with those bolt extractor sockets, if you let the kroil soak the area overnight and use one of these you should have success:

I've had varying luck with these because there are only a few sizes in sets of them, and none of them ever feel like the right size.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Local hardware store didn't have the $70 DeWalt, but the Black and Decker was on sale for $20, so I'll start with that. The $100 DeWalt looks a little big for the clearance I have. I'm waiting for the ground to dry up a bit before figuring out a decent position.

If you don't buy the $10 harbor freight one, I don't know what you're thinking. It's decent and just needs a better cutting wheel.

BlackMK4 posted:

I can agree with that. I generally hammer them on and make em fit.

I do the same, it sometimes works.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

I bought the cheapest of cheap ones there years ago and it still hasn't died, or caught fire. I'm pretty sure you can get $10 coupons for them pretty regularly, or at least you used to be able to. It doesn't have a ton of power but it's been more than fine for cutting sheet metal or bolts when I've used it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, I wouldn't trust that hose.

Never trust hose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Front facing is a lot lower profile than a rear facing.

Just don't let the kid ride with you until they're 1-2 and you're fine. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If it doesn't clear within 24 hours, then it isn't normal.