Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Edit: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

It's like the watercooled vs aircooled split all over again. Maybe the turbo 4's will be a good bargain in a decade or so.

I desperately hope so because I want a 718 Cayman S lifted on A/T tires for a winter beater in the worst way after sliding one around on ice for an hour.

They are loving perfect and make the best noises.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not sure if this was only promoted in Canada but Porsche has been celebrating its 70th birthday with Sports Car Together Day. The local dealer threw a pretty good birthday party. There was cake! And a few nice beetles.

I really should have bought that 996 with the full RUF kit and blown engine for $10k last year...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

This is the question of a desperate man, but does anyone have any experience with 911's and child seats?

Specifically: even say with a larger 20-40lb seat, can a medium to smaller sized adult still fit in the passenger seat? Or are you functionally losing that seat too?

Former coworker DD's a 997.1 with a child seat in the back. It's a properly beafy front facing one. Fitment is good. He couldn't fit two of the same seats side by side (they would overlap in the center). He also cannot slide the passenger seat all the way back. That being said, a 6'2" passenger can still fit comfortably in the front.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm about couple months away from pulling the trigger on a Durametric. It seems to be the best in regards to cost/capabilities.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

wallaka posted:

I have an Enthusiast Durametric that's been sitting in my garage unused. I'll sell it to you for $150 shipped. PM me if interested.

PM sent!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

So... I just bought an 04 Cayenne S for $1.5k CAD.

Wish me luck.

Transsiberia tribute? Either way, hell yeah and good luck!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'd make a hell of a locost.

You still have your Boxster don't you? Engine donor?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Anecdotal, but our base Macan has been completely trouble free and we passed 20k km. We specifically wanted the little 2.0 though for maintenance and reliability reasons.

Combined with a durametric, our annual maintenance costs are drat near zero. Only thing on the horizon is the PDK fluid every 60k I think.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Our benchmark for driving dynamics was a RX-8 and the Macan definitely delivers. It does not drive like an SUV. We did check the PASM and Sport Chrono boxes (factory launch control) though. The factory 90% rear bias AWD also makes a huge difference.

Edit: 3900lbs and 250hp is more than enough for fun. Plus we can go WOT more often with the little 2L.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

PASM is amazingly good.

Replacement Bilstein dampers aren't even that expensive! Fronts for the Macan are $360 each and the rears are $160 each. So PASM even long term from a maintenance perspective isn't prohibitive.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Another data point, if this is not going to be a lease and you are able to do your own maintenance AND you like the idea of slow car fast, the base 2.0L engine paired with Sport Chrono is a fantastic combo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

My wife's daily is a '17 Base with only three options. PASM, Sport Chrono and the Premium Package for the 14 way seats and xenon headlights. (Technically 4 since you gotta have red seat belts). The 18 way sport seats have massive side bolsters which will get destroyed over time getting in and out.

It gets 8L/100km in the city using launch control at every red light and never leaves sport+ mode which borderline eliminates turbo lag. On the highway, we've seen 6.8L/100km.

Since it's a longitudinal inline 4 with a tiny little turbo, there is massive amounts of space in the engine bay. It uses standard $8 iridium spark plugs and VW/Audi $25 coil packs. Oil changes are $60. PASM dampers from Bilstein are $260 a piece. Brakes, rotors and SS lines are $800. The only thing we can't do is the PDK service every 60k km. That's $400.

There's so much room! Since it was meant to fit a V6TT.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Macan folks: does a 4x8 sheet of plywood fit in the back hatch at an angle?

I can get you an answer tomorrow morning. For now, all four wheels fit in the back with the bench folded 2/3 down.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Macan folks: does a 4x8 sheet of plywood fit in the back hatch at an angle?

It doesn’t need to close. Not having to gently caress with a 3rd vehicle or a trailer for a small lumber run would make a lot of sense.

The narrowest point width wise of the back hatch opening is 105cm wide. Depth of the hatch with the bench folded down, from the literal back of the driver's seat to the hatch sill, is 170cm.

So a full 4x8 sheet isn't going to fit.

Now, our local Porsche dealer had this awesome deal where if you buy a vehicle from them, you get free pickup truck rental for life through them.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's really quite good marketing.

It's loving dangerous is what it is, because now I have less of a reason to not replace my F150 with a E53 AMG wagon or GLE450 with EABC.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

My dream daily is a 964 with a 13B turbo. gently caress Porsche purists.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

A base model 911 C2 on proper tires is the greatest winter daily of all time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I always thought it was for weight savings. Magnesium is lighter and just? as strong as aluminium.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If I had gently caress you money, I would be machining 13B/20B/26B plates and housings out of magnesium and swapping them in every 911 I could get my hands on. Because a turbo rear engine car isn't exciting enough, it also needs to be in constant danger of combusting into white hot flames simply from idling.

Edit: Still want a 997.1 with a dead engine from IMS failure to swap a turbo 13B into.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I had no idea Goodsmile Racing campaigned a 996 back in 2010.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_U9OlpldZa/?igshid=10sb4vgjdu0fh

With the current price of 996's, it would be real fun to build a replica.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

Replacing a clutch is an unimaginable job to most people driving p-cars. And when you're driving an older but not-old-enough-to-be-worth-something p-car, paying someone to do that is worth a significant fraction of the car's value.

This is absolutely true. I've had every person at the local dealer events I talked to look at me like I had two heads when the subject of doing your own oil and spark plug changes was brought up.

Porsche people get weird with even basic maintenance.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Was the 100k service done? If so, that seems accurate. If it's at 90k miles, then it's 8-10k overpriced and they're trying to unload it before it needs all that work.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

You're closer to needing to replace higher cost wear items, but like most well built vehicles, the more they're regularly driven, the less problems they have. So as long as the price reflects the near future maintenance costs (shocks, water pumps, etc. longer term wear items), I would prefer a higher km one since there's even more guilt free driving then a low one.

Edit: Spelling and grammar +
To expand, higher km ones will be at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so the only money "lost" is the maintenance you're putting in. To an extent. If that makes sense.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 29, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Parking mishap in the Macan means it gets a new hood and, uh, bumper cover.

Anyone want to take a guess what Geico wrote it for?

$8k would be my guess. The hood and front bumper is complicated.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

What happens if you combine the stock market crash of 2000 with the housing bubble crash of 2008? Do we at least get cheap Porsches from it?

Nah, that just means Jerry Seinfeld descends into full hoarder madness and buys up everything becoming the official/unofficial used car arm of Porsche North America.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

I was gifted a piece of wall art from a good friend to encourage my 911 build.

That is amazing! Which wall of the house is it going on? Above the fireplace? Above the bedroom headboard?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

I'm looking at a used Macan (2017~) and was wondering if there's anything in particular I should be looking for?
Hoping to stay around a mid-30k budget and found a CPO that's right around there with 54k miles.
I saw that the bigger scheduled services are done every 40k so since it's already had that plus it being a CPO (along with 2 year warranty) makes it seem like a pretty good deal.

Cross-shopping with the Q5 and kind of bummed not having Android Auto but can live without it and the wife is much more into the Porsche (which I'm perfectly fine with).

We've had a 2017 since new and are at 38k km right now. It has been an anvil. Comparing the Macan to the Q5 is unfair to the Audi since it makes it look so bad.
We specifically wanted the 2.0 litre though since that allows the economies of scale to help with maintenance costs and supplies. Plus there is a stupid amount of room in the engine bay which makes all that maintenance even easier.

Edit:

Longitudinal engine supremacy. Which also comes with a factory 90% rear biased AWD.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 4, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Think of the Macan as a Forester STi.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

Looking at just base Macans. And just me and the wife so a smaller backseat won't be an issue for awhile. The CPO im looking at also has a very clean Carfax and basically went to the dealer for checkups every few months. Not sure if thats a red flag or an overly loving owner (I'm sure it's the latter). It had its 40k maintenance but will also confirm about those spark plugs.

The base Macans don't have any of the engine issues that the V6 models do.
I would not see the dealer visits as a red flag. On the turbo or GTS sub model, maybe.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It sure does. Ours has both and it makes a massive difference. Factory launch control, pops and burbles on shifts, idle is higher to keep the turbo lag down. Steering is sharper. The full PASM shocks (which aren't that expensive to replace when they wear out, actually).

I can absolutely see how a base model without any options would feel far closer to a Q5 unless you started absolutely caning it and got it closer to the limit.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

On the topic of suspension, how long should the suspension last in a Base Macan? Ours has 110k miles (mostly highway) and was purchased in 2016. Are we due for a refresh soon? Thankfully the mileage isn't going up as quickly these days.
Shocks are weird. It heavily depends on the roads they're used on. I have been told by my local indie shop that as long as there are no visible leaks and each one still dampens the spring oscillations at each corner when stationary, they're fine. The big one to longevity that I have been told by the dealer for the PASM shocks is leave them in comfort mode during the winter and off the track. That's specific to a region that goes through annual freeze thaw cycles.

hmmxkrazee posted:

I've expanded my search a bit and I see a few nicely spec'd non-CPO base Macans with lower mileage (< 30,000) that have at least 1.5yrs of the original warranty still active.
Any downsides to going with one of these even if a PPI finds everything good to go?
Find one with sport Chrono. Everyone needs launch control. That might be tough with a base model thought.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Two weeks later...

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I just found the timing to be comedic, so to say.

I'll be an rear end in a top hat and call out myself. Not two weeks after I posted that ours has been an anvil, it popped a TPMS fault code....:ughh:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

There's one small problem with Durametric and the Macans, the 2017+ models aren't supported yet...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah neither did I until I tried to read the codes on my TPMS system. It can reset service reminders just fine but any sub systems which deviate from the 2015-2016 MY versions are unreadable and the email I got back from Durametric asking for a timeline was not encouraging.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update on the TPMS fault on the Macan. The TPMS module sits in the rear drivers wheel well. The wiring to it from the body harness does not reside in a protective loom. Due to this, three of the wires about 5 cm from the module connector have worn through due to abrasion on something. Not sure what though. A new connector pigtail has been spliced in and is fully loomed all the way to the connector now. This is 100% penny pinching on Porsche's part for not protecting that portion of the harness. Especially given where it lives. I will be going through the engine bay and wheel wells this summer hunting for other future trouble spots because this should not be happening.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hey can you do me a favor and post a pic of this?

I'll let my friend know who just bought a Macan and if it's exposed on theirs too I'll let them know to proactively address it.

This is mid repair. The wires wrapped in electrical tape are exposed from the factory on the 2017MY. The picture is taken from behind the rear drivers wheel looking at the rear suspension.

Best guess is that using it as a rally car on dirt and stone surfaces over time wore down the wiring insulation from being pelted and basically sandblasted at high speed.

It is entirely possible that this is no longer an issue on the new ones.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo that is inexcusable for a vehicle in this price range. I would have expected an extra $0.08 worth of plastic somewhere to cover that.

I haven't even mentioned how my local dealer handled this when I brought it in as a warranty repair.

That picture is how they fixed it and charged me for it since it isn't covered under warranty.

Edit: Now where's that all cars are trash meme.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I was going through all of my old pictures (taken with what is basically a potato) and found my visit to the original Porsche museum that was connected to the factory and dealership.
Back in 2007 I posted these in their own thread (along with the Mercedes museum and Unimog museum). Those threads are now in the archives with dead image links.

So here they are in no particular order again since a few of them are pretty cool (the cut-aways in particular).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007