Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
First-gen Boxsters are dropping below $10k for dire examples, and I'm honestly willing to see if I can find a reasonable mid-teens car before all of them in that price range become ghetto hoopties wearing dubs.

Is a first-gen Boxster legitimately better than an NA Miata? How bad are they from a home-mechanic perspective for non-engine work (since I assume mid-engined means limited access)?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Whenever I see this on a keyboard it's someone who obsessively uses hand cream. Whatever poo poo is in there likes to eat off the paint most manufacturers use on plastic parts.

My Subaru has basically no writing on any of the switches from the obsessive hand-cream user who used to own it, and that looks basically the same to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

willroc7 posted:

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive weekend car that will also get some fair-weather daily driving duties. I live less than 3 miles from work, gym, stores etc and my V8 S4 is overkill. I've primarily been looking at miatas and E30/E28 bimmers, but a couple attractive looking 944's came up on craigslist in my area. How bad of an idea is a 944 for the aforementioned purpose? Cars in question:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5544994941.html
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5523186344.html

If you already own a V8 S4, no matter how bad a $3000 944 gets it's going to seem more reliable.

Print out one of the good forum buyers' guides and take it with you, and don't be afraid to walk. They made a bunch of these.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Do it, I can help with the suspension/steering stuff that needs replacement.

How much suspension could it possibly need?

I know how much suspension it wants.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Jymmybob posted:

Posting this amazing Cayman with a Coyote engine in it because Porsche nerds are super mad about it. I would already have another Porsche in the garage if engine swaps like these were more common.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAJqax1TQo

I really wanted to know how the transmission and diff are set up on that thing because it is amazing.

It looks almost like they used an actual Porsche transaxle and an adapter plate:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How does the alternator bracket seal the cooling system? Is it sharing some bolt with the water pump or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's pretty common to stuff pistons with high quantities of silicon these days so I'm not at all surprised a cylinder wall is the same.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Switch and I might have a whole new Lincoln for you :q:

If I had to guess which person from our circle of friends would most enjoy the Town Car it's basically Drake.

Hell, if you want to take it right now we'll put a lexan window with a gunport in instead of an actual window. Then you can drive-by deer from a Panther-platform tree stand and not even have to put it in park.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Quebec? Ultra-pass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

My HELOC keeps my car on the road: Porsche Thread

Speaking of, someone appears to be interested in mine. I know what I want out of it and if he pays it and doesn't ask me to jump through hoops, it's gone.

He's asking the right questions so I think he might be serious.

Wanna replace it with a Miata?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091828452
I don't think it's necessarily a bad price at $7800.

I'm really curious if a 13 year old Boxster S is cheaper or more expensive to run than an 80s Ferrari.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I love how searching Craigslist/Kijiji for keyword Porsche in used autos always seems to bring up a Subaru or two because they think dropping "SAME MOTOR AS A PORSCHE" in the description will help them sell their car.

The salesmen at the dealerships will bring it up if you wait long enough while considering buying a base-model 2.0i.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice colour.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I guess there had to be some job that was easier in a Porsche than a normal car. Go figure that it's the heater core.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

How does Canadian sales tax on a car work, can I buy a car without paying it if I plan on smuggling (legally) it to the USA? Toyota refused to sell me a new car that was already federalized because loonie exchange rates went bad for them. It seem a lot of porsches went north and are already federalized or were federalized even if sold initially in Canada. Plus a lot of never driven in winter cars (the good 2wd ones).

At the federal level (note that most provinces may levy their own provincial or harmonized sales taxes), GST is not intended to be charged on goods destined for export.

https://www.fin.gc.ca/taxexp-depfisc/2000/taxexp00_5-eng.asp

quote:

No GST/HST applies to exported goods and services, and tax paid by exporters on their inputs is fully refundable though the input tax credit mechanism. However, in cases where there is minimal processing in Canada, the cost of financing the GST/HST paid on either imported or domestically acquired goods to be processed, as well as various component parts, can be significant in relation to the level of value added to goods. In particular, these financing charges can be significant given that the profit margins of these types of businesses are low in relation to the value of goods processed. Thus, for these types of businesses, financing the GST/HST component can increase their capital requirements, ultimately affecting the viability of locating such an operation in Canada.

ITCs are kind of a messy deal in general though and the dealership may not be willing to eat that level of poo poo for you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't know if I've ever seen a rotor box that didn't have at least a hub-shaped indent. They're big-rear end pieces of steel, the box is more to protect everything else in the same package.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

So... I just bought an 04 Cayenne S for $1.5k CAD.

Wish me luck.

It's dumb how cheap you can get them. Some guy locally is already trying to get rid of them in pairs like they're 944s and it's 2009.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blue On Blue posted:

I think you know what to do

It'd make a hell of a locost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Does the Taycan really display a little gas pump icon for battery charge, or is it supposed to be a little charger?