Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hi. I bought a 986 S and it's got the CDR23 in it with the Bose sound system. I already own an e9x BMW so I know that my brain is broken.

I'd like to add modern features to the audio system, but I am also stupid and would like to keep both of my lil storage bins in the lower dash area. Can I put the PCCM in this thing instead of the PCCM+?

Here's a pic, I guess:

e, this is what it look like (when it gets here)

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
That's kinda where I figured I'd shake out, too. Just trying to get my arms around the level of work to use the single DIN device versus the much more likely plug and play PCCM+

At this point I need to just get the car here, take it apart, and understand wtf is going on with the audio system.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Re: radio chat: any thoughts here? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068GRANM4/RetroSound-Grand-Prix-M4HD.html?tp=5684

Seems like it offers the most options and stays in a single DIN.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Woot. The dang thing is here:

True to form, when I was looking in the frunk I broke one of the plastic clips that holds the carpet to the wall. Just 20 year old car things. Thankfully, the e91 has trained me well in old plastic.

Speaking of, looks like I'll need to replace the cupholder - that plastic is cracked and the mechanism doesn't retract and allow it to close without holding the cupholder portion in. So many projects!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

Nice. Congrats!

What did you decide on the head unit?

To just get it and drive it. I have a wallet of CDs to use in the interim. I figure if I try to improve anything before I put 500-1,000 miles on it I'm missing the point. I listen to the engine > 75% of the time in the e91.

That said, I'm leaning PCCM later this year or I'll do the conti unit with a CD player.

For now, driving.

Motronic posted:

All of this is true to form. Go drive the poo poo out of it and have fun. Then you can have fun tracking down parts and replacing inconsequential stuff.

(catch up on/keep up with maintenance schedules especially fluids)

Thankfully it came with great records and has been well maintained. That said, I need coolant - what do I order? I'm used to only using the BMW stuff. I'll put together a list of maintenance questions after the sun goes down (and I'm done driving for the day). So far I've driven ~500ft from the truck to my driveway

The matchy matchy with the bimmer is pretty good - they are both filthy.

EDIT EDIT:

Filled the tank, set the clock, and went for a drive. I feel entirely validated in this purchase. I can't say anything that hasn't been said a bunch - the car is a driver and a cheerful one. I'm definitely going to be avoiding the freeway and taking surface streets as much as I can.

re: head units - driving around with the CD player I really enjoyed a physical pause/mute button and a physical track selection button. With the phone doing bluetooth sometimes you have to navigate back to audio and I'll say that physical buttons are much preferred in this case.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Thank you, both!

I will hopefully log another 100 or so miles today. I'm starting a punch list of items that show their age, but the driving isn't one of them. One observation on the S over the 2.7 is that the 2.7s 5-speed allowed for a longer power build that was pretty satisfying. The S gets to power quickly and the gears are shorter. Just a different vibe.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hell yeah

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I was all excited for my 986 to arrive and post ITT, etc. but it turns out posting < driving and there isn't much to say!

If the car is working, drive it!
If it's not, bitch here + fix it!

I'm gonna cross 50k miles this week and will do an oil change some time next weekend. I plan to just go ahead and start sending off oil samples (and I'll add the BMW to the rota as well)

LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-oil-filter-adapter-ln-engineering-100237008
This seems like a great idea, but I'll lose the ability to cut my filter and read the bones. Seems fine if I'm sending off samples anyway?

On the oil change front, I've got a decent low profile jack, so I think I will be fine getting under the car between the jack + some 2x4x. I'd love a ramps suggestion/recommendation as well.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 3, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm def going for the quickjack - but that may not happen till later in the summer. That said, I'm pretty sure it can handle both the 986 and the e91, which will be nice.

Thanks for the confirmation on the LN filter adapter & the other advice.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

986 looks good, especially next to the E91!

Costco runs sales on the Quickjack as a bundle pretty often, either every promo cycle or every other. I was going to get one and do the monoballs, but I opted just to pay to have it done.

Thanks! Both on the cars and the sale info.

Next :shobon: question - my frunk doesn't reliably open. My battery isn't low, I hear the electric release moving, but the latch isn't releasing. What part do I need to hit with a hammer or replace? I usually just wait about 20 minutes and it eventually opens but I'd like to resolve this particular issue.

I would HATE to have this happen when I need the spare tire or something like that.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
On the other hand... it's a 993 <3

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I think a 996 looks good + fine and I'd love to see midnight blue over tan like my boxster.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Beaten, but because the 992 is enormous.

On the bright side, I found an awesome air cooled repair shop for my 993! :toot:

Downside: the owner told me he's 81. :negative:

Time to quit your job and become his disciple TODAY

Head Unit Update: My CDR23 thing is making a weird clicking noise when I get in the car and refuses to play my Joni Mitchell CD unless I eject and re-insert it so I'm prolly gonna install this (assuming I can just buy a harness to make it more or less PnP) until I go PCCM+ some time in the fall. Two weeks into DD with the 986 I have decided that car play with traffic info on the dash is actually good + desirable. Mostly because the car is way more fun on surface streets instead of the freeway.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-cd7416ub-or

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

The 996 front end has certainly grown on me over the years, but it's certainly not what I would call good looking. But of course YMMV.

That's the unit I was looking at as well.

Is the PCCM for the 996 double din? Because I really prefer single and the HVAC being up as opposed to the lower near the console.

The PCCM+ is double DIN and the PCCM is single DIN. The P+ is the intended unit for the 986/996 and following and the P is intended for earlier models. That said, I - like you- would prefer a single DIN option. I'll call suncoast and ask a bunch of questions and report back.

For now, I'll put that conti in as a temporary fix. I am bummed that it's black on orange instead of orange on black for the font, but it otherwise looks OEM.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

The 996 front end has certainly grown on me over the years, but it's certainly not what I would call good looking. But of course YMMV.

That's the unit I was looking at as well.

Is the PCCM for the 996 double din? Because I really prefer single and the HVAC being up as opposed to the lower near the console.

Elite Taco posted:

The PCCM+ is double DIN and the PCCM is single DIN. The P+ is the intended unit for the 986/996 and following and the P is intended for earlier models. That said, I - like you- would prefer a single DIN option. I'll call suncoast and ask a bunch of questions and report back.

For now, I'll put that conti in as a temporary fix. I am bummed that it's black on orange instead of orange on black for the font, but it otherwise looks OEM.

I bring tidings! This project is indeed possible!

From this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4-28/
and this dude's blog: https://zerotoflatsix.com/2017/04/13/and-the-band-played-on/ - This is a boxster.

I have no idea what went on with the BaT car, but the boxster is a straight refit, he gutted the audio system and replaced it all. That route is easier in that there's little to no research to do, it's a stereo system install. The 99 carrera could be either super straightforward speaker-level power to speakers or doing some line output conversion poo poo to make a preamp signal. Gonna go ahead and say it is very annoying that the PCCM doesn't do a line out.

For MY CAR - a 2004 986, I have a stereo using the MOST connection which further complicates matters. Basically, I have to take the PCCM speaker output, convert the signal to line out, then convert it to MOST if I want to use the stock Bose amp and speakers. This is my likely route. Might have to make my own wiring harness, but I'll do what I can to avoid that. Otherwise, as I understand it now, I need to gut my entire system, go PCCM -> LOC -> Amp -> New Speakers.

OR, I cave, do the PCCM+ and it will be a very straightforward PnP for a MOST system (based on what I've read)

I thought I had brain worms bad with my e91, the 996 guys are fuckin psychos with generally poor but prolific posting behaviors.

I'm inclined to continue down this route. I value the cubbies AND I value the option to do the GT3 delete thing. ALSO, if I could do a computer terrorism thing or/and convince an AI to do it, I would want to change MOST to MOIST on every car audio forum on the planet.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 11, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

kensei posted:

Oh, stereo pic from me too. The PO replaced the factory unit with an Android in like 2015, and it was no longer updated. Last summer I added this Pioneer and it fit perfectly in what I think was a custom fab.

Looks great. Thanks for posting tan interior 986 S bro

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

Dubious fame haha.

Well, that's cool to know and thanks for finding and posting that.

I can't see myself doing that. I think a Conti would look way better there... especially for a fraction of the $$.

Fair enough.

I've ordered the Avin MOST converter thing and will test it out thusly once it get here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uldWBWLtJc

I'm encouraged to see it working in that nerd's 996. Assuming this part works, I'll get some speaker line out converters and probably proceed with the PCCM. I'm mostly inclined to continue on this path since I believe I'd have to do the same thing to use the conti head unit as well (since I have the Bose sytem with MOST the bergvillfx guys don't sell an adapter for me)

Stay tuned for corn content.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
A dude in a red 981/718 pulled up next to me this morning and gave me a thumbs up. We rolled down the window and chatted for a sec. Said it was his 3rd boxster. I told him the 986 was my first.

Fun moment.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm in the same boat- once the heat from the radiators is moving through the front my frunk won't open.

I've ordered a new actuator and will replace it to see if that sorts it out.

Stay tuned.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I went to a PCA concours today. The air cooled cars were neat and I didn't really give a poo poo about anything else. Saw a cool guy with a cool 996 and talked to him for a little while. His name was Tim and he had a cute doggo.

I'm probably gonna go to more PCA stuff now.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Washing the boxster is fun because it takes like 55 seconds.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Same here.

Friendly reminder to check all the drains. Put my top halfway down and inspected the drains there and they were pretty gunked up. Did a thorough cleaning and now it pees like a race horse if you dump a bunch of water on it.

Good advice. I kid, but the boxster washes much faster than the e91.

That said, I've easily spent 2x more time going back over stuff doing detail stuff!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Am I dumb and there actually IS a realoem.com equivalent for porsche cars?

I need to replace the little skid trim in front of my wheels at the bottom of my front bumper.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I AM dumb.

Thank you! :shobon:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
that sucks! :(

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
That blue is gorgeous.

GLWA.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I got a big puff of white smoke out of my tailpipe when I went to the grocery an hour ago. I don't recall this happening in the past.

Based on my records, the car has not had the AOS replaced - it's at 51k miles. I don't have a problem replacing the part, is this and the hoses all I need?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610702602.htm?pn=996-107-026-02-OEM&SVSVSI=791&DID=19524

If so, looks like ~$4-500 in parts and probably some swearing and stuff in the garage?

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 19, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have purchased all the parts for an AOS replacement. No indication its ever been done on my car, so using this as my maiden voyage.

I also bought a 996 throttle body and plenum, so I'm interested to get a look into the engine bay to see about that retrofit. After that, on to tuning the motor to use the upgraded part?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Holy buckets what a deal (if you can manage the maintenance and have a place to work)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Sounds like a sweetheart deal.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have given perhaps 75 seconds of thought to the possibility of vandalism occurring to my vehicle in the last 20 years.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
It's a good plan, tbh.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Just got home from ~2,500 miles over 2 weeks in the e91 and got a big grin backing the 986 out of the garage to drive it tomorrow.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
When I got up to top up the coolant in my 986 this morning I stuck a flashlight in the expansion tank and it looks like my current coolant is yellow or green and NOT the special pink!

I don't have a way to figure out what's in there. I'm guessing I just need to flush it and replace it?

edit ^^^ oh no! good luck :(

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I am awaiting delivery of a wheel hub bearing for the right rear on my 986. After ~900 mile road trip the whoomp whoomp whoomp was quite loud. This will be my first major mechanical work on the boxster.

I love this car.

I do sometimes wonder if I'll get an itch to get a 996 at some point.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks. We'll see how it goes. I figure if I get the hub off and can't get the bearing out I am still in the money and can just take everything to a shop for a press.

poo poo like this is what has me wondering about a 996 911 lol:

"I have a 2003 Dark Teal Metallic C2 Manual with 48k on the clock and 2k on an LN 4.0 rebuild."

Apex car in some ways.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
You'll need a breaker bar for this job.

I've nearly got the hub out of the car. For some reason the ball joint on the bottom of the hub doesn't want to come out and give me clearance. Haven't gotten to the point where I'm working to get driveshaft out of the hub. I bought this tool set - so hopefully I can do the pressing myself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175476945906

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hell yeah.

I think that tomorrow I'm gonna just go ham getting the lower ball joint out and if I learn a lesson and need to buy some replacement suspension parts, so be it. I can use the impact wrench to run the press :)

Here's where I ended up today:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm gonna get in there with a hammer this evening and do my best to get the upright out of the car. If that doesn't work, I'll put the ooga dooga on the rest of the suspension parts and just keep removing bolts till it's out.

Helpfully, the e91's a/c compressor died on Friday afternoon, so I need the dang 986 on the road and out of the garage ASAP.

I plan to drop it off for an alignment once I get it back together, then I can do a tech inspection for my 9/25 HPDE weekend at Hallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hammer + violence got it down.

Need advice on this part: