Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Mat_Drinks posted:

I thought the Boxsters didn't suffer from the IMS/RMS issues?

Indeed they do, just as much as the 911. March 28 2014 my friends 2003 Boxster S blew up thanks to the IMS bearing disintegrating. That car had been completely babied from new, only serviced at Porsche at basically half the recommended intervals since she didn't drive it during winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyway, I'll just quote myself from whenever (long before the car killed itself);

quote:

Well. My friend owns a 2003 Boxster S and it's a very nice car and all, but she's totally loaded from an inheritance. I wouldn't buy a car with the M96 engine in it if I didn't have a really fat account. You've got the famous IMS bearing failures. If/when you change the clutch, you have to change the flywheel as well as per Porsche instructions. Problems with cracked heads, mostly pertaining to the 3.2/3.4s...

To be fair, all the problems [including] the IMS bearing should be classified as very uncommon (but still oh so expensive *if* it happens). Porsche eliminated the intermediate shaft, and hence the bearing, in 2009.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look at it like this; the IMS bearing is like a really, really expensive timing belt. WHEN it goes your engine is mostly toast, and even if you change it you WILL have to change it AGAIN (assuming you own the car for a longer period of time).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

It does NOT have ceramic brakes (No yellow calipers, which is a good thing)

With the cost of replacing those *if needed* I would never ever buy a car with them. Unless they're easily replaced with regular steel ones. Going to iron on Audis you need at least new calipers, pads, rotors and some brackets IIRC.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I get how more power means more of a handful in the winter in general, but this thing with people going "RWD in winter = KILLED BY DEATH" is a little silly.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Early magnesium wheels had lots of problems with corrosion, which is one reason why they went away. Modern magnesium alloys don't have the same problems, supposedly. Mg alloys are up to 1/3 lighter than aluminium alloys but have lower strength in general. IIRC VW has been using Mg in their gearboxes of late, for example, where demands on temperature resistance and strength aren't as high.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, but you might need more magnesium by volume to hit a strength target. So unless the original design for the aluminum part wasn't properly optimized for weight savings, that's a best-case weight savings.

Not the same materials (or brands) as being discussed, but as an example of this I can mention the Mopar 340 I switched from some ancient Crane Cams design of alu roller rockers to brand new steel Comp Cam roller rockers, and out of curiosity I measured them. Turns out a steel rocker arm was actually a couple of grams lighter than an aluminium one, probably because of suboptimal design.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

My view on IMS failure is if it happens then it just means the boxster gets a 3.4 from a 996 :getin:

Saw a 1st gen Boxster for sale last year not far from me that had a 3.4, and it wasn't outrageously expensive either. A 3.4 still has an IMS tho...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Decades-old cars that aren't depreciating anymore would seem like a pretty safe thing to finance tho?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I did it another way, I keep drinking thereby preventing me from making decent money.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I think I have to get it fast because my wife just started talking about “trying” for a kid. :ohdear:

Goon scared shitless at the thought of sex, news at eleven. i keed, i keed

I play in the somewhat lower leagues compared to some people here (that's not a knock on you guys, it's just the way it is), and I'm actually very tempted to at least go look at this:

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/porsche_924_turbo/89719911

Google translate is being a bitch, but the highlights are Porsche 924 Turbo 1979, paint touched up after minor repairs in a few places, the gearbox is not the original dogleg, basic maintenance (timing belt, oils, filters etc) and inspection done recently. About 10k USD eqv.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 6, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

They have an alternate theory that it was caused by the car sitting, which I don’t really understand. They tell me it’s nothing to worry about if it doesn’t get worse, and that it might actually get better as I drive the snot out of the car, which I’m doing.

Neither of these makes sense to me?

Nice buy tho, I'm still too much of a scaredy-cat from bore scoring, d-chunking, ims and whatnot to get one. :sigh:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Genuine question, is there anything you can do if you get the VIN of someones car? Like, is there any reason not to disclose it other than

meatpimp posted:

because the car's been wrecked.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A boatload of european cars had problems with ABS/ESP pumps going to poo poo between I want to say 2005-2015. Bosch.

VAG had a problem with coils dying left and right for about that same period. My buddies 2012 A4 melted the plastic engine cover when his second one died in as many weeks. Bosch.

Lucas doesn't exist anymore which puts Bosch firmly at the bottom of the pile imo.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Our 2017 macan is almost at 110k and has been pretty flawless

Two weeks later...

Residency Evil posted:

Wife: "Hey, the Macan says there's an Engine Control Fault but that it's ok to drive."

Hopefully she just forgot to put the gas cap on.

:negative:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I just found the timing to be comedic, so to say.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
2004 Boxster S, makes a shorts but very audible rattling noise *every* time it passes 1500 rpm going up. In every gear and at every speed, just always at 1500 rpm. Except when revving it in neutral. Any particular heat shield or something that comes to mind for anyone? Having limited abilities to lift it up and look right now.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Coincidentally I recently saw a local ad for two (2!) OEM Porsche child seats for a 964, with the last line in the ad being, in all caps, WILL ONLY SELL TO YOU IF YOU HAVE A PORSCHE 964.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just put a stripe on your Porsche that says Volkswagen.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Will it still be destroyed by rust? We get a lot of road salt here.

slidebite posted:

They're dipped. Very resistant to rust.

I would get it sprayed. Most cars made today are dipped but zinc is not rust protection, only a rust retardant.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Was about to say, that's UV-damaged plastic for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just following up here, the compression test was good (around 260psi on all cylinders). They're replacing the waterpump and doing brakes and a full service on it so should be done next week. Inshallah I will be a Boxster owner before long.

Option list (thank god someone replaced the white wheels, loving Germans)

342 Multi-stage Heating System for Front Seats
409 18" Cayman S II Wheel
584 Storage box
635 ParkAssist Rear
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
CMA Mirror Attachment Point Finishers Painted in Exterior Color
P4G Comfort Package
P4R Infotainment Package
XD9 Wheels Painted in Exterior Color
XFJ Instrument Dials in Carrara White
XMK Roll Bar in Exterior Color

It's a bit weird that it's not registered to the dealer but to a private owner. I have no idea about this particular dealer, but that is sometimes a loophole dealers use so they don't have to offer you any warranty since "we didn't sell the car, we only sold it for that guy". Not that it matters much to most people, but I'm assuming you know it's an import?