Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I'm shopping for a 718 Boxster and trying to figure out which options are worth considering or if I should order one.

Performance/handling options:
Active Suspension (PASM)
Differential (PTV)
Power steering plus
Extended fuel tank (2.6 more gallons)
Wheels (which size wheel will have the best tire options)

Comfort:
Ventilated seats (I've had a roadster before, this seems like a must)
14 or 18 way seats

Convenience:
Lane change assist (seems nice to have)
Adaptive cruise control (seems nice to have)
Porsche Entry
Upgraded stereo
Nav
Led or Bi-Xenon headlights (two different options, cost about the same, is one better or worse?)

Sales guy said that 2024 will likely be the last model year of the Boxster, is there any validity to this? I'm looking for a second fun car to drive, have garage, paid for suv that I'm keeping, etc. I can't see much reason to go for a T, S, GTS, or Spyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

What are you using the car for?

Enjoying living in a nice part of California, enjoying having a convertible. No or minimal time on a race track, mainly because they're all 3+ hours away.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

Weekend car or daily driver?

Weekend / second car.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'm the kind of weirdo would would buy the total base model with the base motor and just have a freaking blast if that's all I was doing with it.

This was my previous sports car, a base model first year Z4 and I loved it.

knox_harrington posted:

I would definitely try out the DCT and manual box with whichever engine you're looking at. I found the DCT annoying with the base engine but others don't agree. I'd get the manual. I'd also get the GTS 4.0 but that is a bunch more money.
I'm test driving a 2021 with the DCT soon, finding a 6 speed will be harder, porsche of santa barbara may have one. I'm pretty much done with shifting, so unless I hate the DCT that's my preference. This is a $3200 option

quote:

I wouldn't get the most expensive seats, I have the 18-way sport seats in the Taycan and tbh the Boxster with the basic sport plus seats were excellent. Again, something you need to try.
Yeah, what I meant is either of the 14 or 18 over the 2 way, they are $2100/3600 options

quote:

The PASM is great in the Taycan but it's more of a cruiser than the 718. I'd get PTV though. Power steering plus is probably no benefit.
What does PASM do?

quote:

Lane change assist is not really needed because it's a small car and has pretty good visibility. It's tbh not amazing in the Taycan anyway and I always do a shoulder check. Adaptive cruise needs ths DCT but I'd get it if available.
Visibility in a convertible is only good with the top down, with it up it's pretty bad.

quote:

Definitely definitely get carplay and an upgraded stereo, likely Bose is standard in CA but I had the fully basic one and it sucked.
Upgraded stereo is a $4700 option. Base has carplay.

quote:

What I would get would be a fairly stripped down GTS in Indian Red with manual box, midsize wheels and a good stereo.

Regular, T, S, GTS, Spyder: 65500, 74600, 77500 , 92400, 103400. Wheel sizes available are 18, 19, and 20, but unless I hear that 19 has vastly better tire selection I'm probably going 18. I do think the Spyder looks immensely better than the regular boxster, but not $40,000 better.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Useful information and opinions

Thank you!

Today I test drove a Boxster S with 7 speed PDK and loved it, then ordered: http://www.porschecode.com/PPTMKMY9 with expected delivery of 4-6 months. Non S, I don't think I'll miss the power with the kind of driving I'll be doing. I did order the PASM because I learned that comfort mode is apparently a nicer ride then without it, and https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-sport-v3-controller/ is available for even more control. No PTV because even though it does add an LSD most of the functionality comes from rear braking, it's only noticeable on a track, and it wears rear brakes quickly. 18" wheels for ride quality. Bright blue because every car is boring flat grey now (spoken as someone who has the vehicle that started the flat grey fad).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Why wait when there are two specced almost exactly how I want already at dealers or on the way.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Love that color!

:sigh:

dema posted:

Nice! That color is really great. What are the specs?

NitroSpazzz posted:

That blue is such a good color. Good find!

2023 718 Boxster T in Shark Blue
PDK
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Premium Package
Smoking Package
Clear Taillights
Supplemental Safety Bars in Exterior Color

Premium package includes: Heated steering wheel, folding side mirrors, light design package, luggage net in passenger footwell, Porsche Entry & Drive, and Lane Change assist. Sometimes premium package includes the Bose stereo, but availability on that has been very limited due to supply chain issues (and my car doesn't have it).

A Boxster T is a base 2.0 with the following options and changes standard:
Sport PASM lowered 20mm (normally only on GTS and above) and sway bars from the GTS
PTV (LSD)
Sport Chronograph (this adds several important features and active engine mounts)
Race-Tex seats (fancy cloth seats, not synthetic suede)
Sport tail pipes
Hard to use fabric strap interior door pulls instead of normal, functional, door handles
20" Carrera S wheels in titanium grey (exclusive color)
Side mirrors in titanium grey (they really should offer the whole car in this color, it looks great)

It does not include the larger brakes from the GTS (and not an option). There is no special performance tuning or lightened materials.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

Nice!
nth the color

So are there now cars in stock that don't have stupid markups past MSRP?

Depends on alot of things. Most people are still paying some markup for the more desirable models, like GTS 4.0, Spyder, etc, but even those are recently being sold at MSRP in some cases. Unobtainable models like the GT4 and GT3 RS variants are still heavily backlogged and marked up, keep in mind these have always been marked up. There's also significant differences between allocations for custom orders and dealer stock / cars on the lot. Calling every dealer in the state/area/country, carefully watching Porsche's finder website or using a broker will get you a car significantly faster and/or cheaper then walking into your local dealer and accepting whatever markup or wait time they tell you. Note most dealers still have waitlists for allocations for all 911 and 718 models, or no allocations at all. Don't order a car if they don't give you an allocation.

Edit: Goddamn this would have been insane https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-718-boxster-gts-40-new-P6MW8G and only $20,000 more than the $10,000 more I mean to spend originally. Note, car not at dealer, this means it's been produced for dealer stock (or a cancelled customer order) but is still being delivered.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 22, 2023

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

TeMpLaR posted:

I joined the club over the weekend, picked up a Gentian Blue 718 GTS 4.0. This car is amazing.

Joined PCA in Golden Gate Region and am starting to plan track days. My plan is to do the HPDE event at Thunderhill in April. I’ve tracked my STI there before, a long time ago, but this car is a whole new thing. I’m excited!

Congratulations. This is basically my T with the 4.0L H6, I am envious. I think my PCA chapter (CCCR) and Golden Gate share some events, so we may see each other. I've so far registered for local Autocross, Buttonwillow in May, and Laguna Seca in June.

On Saturday the weather cleared enough to go our for a drive and I found an empty and winding stretch of road that was absolutely amazing to drive. I am still amazed at how well behaved it is when not in sport mode and how perfectly it handles when I turn that on.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

I assumed it was embossed or embroidered "Boxster" or "Cayman" on the seats but... rear?

Likely the case and rear means seatback headrests. I've seen at a minimum: 718, Boxster, Cayman, Spyder, and the Porsche logo embroidered or embossed there.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Today I went for a drive, and goddamn do I love my Boxster.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

If I end up getting a GT4 RS

That's a big if. Having just gone through this for a relatively undesirable Boxster/Cayman variant I hope you know what you're getting into.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I testdrove the Porsche 718 Cayman S yesterday:
Don't buy that specific car.

quote:

It looks brilliant, lovely colour, excellent wheels. It's super comfortable, the 14 way electric seats were great. The controls are nice to touch.

The heated steering wheel was excellent, as were the heated seats.

Very responsive car. Great acceleration, lightning fast automatic PDK Dual Clutch gearbox.

Suspension was the standard suspension, it was fine, didn't feel like it needed to be stiffer or softer.
Sport suspension is amazing, don't skip testing it.

quote:

The speed limit display was very annoying, kept going "temporarily unavailable" every few miles, and had to be be cleared by pressing the back button on the steering wheel, else that error message would display on the right of the instrument cluster constantly. I hope turning off this option is a possibility.
This feature is known to be worthless, it's not even available in the US.

quote:

The GPS was useless. Literally unusable. It thought I was going in a direction I wasn’t going in, on a road I wasn’t on. I had to pull over into a lay-by, park, pull my phone out, connect it to the car and use the phone’s audio over the car’s (very nice) Bose speakers to get back to the Porsche showroom. There was no Apple CarPlay in the car (though it can be retrofitted, which Porsche should do as standard for any cars in its showroom...).
Current 718 support wired but not wireless carplay, a $100 third party adapter gets you wired carplay.

quote:

It sounds weak, zero theatre. This is both I think to do with the fact that it's now only a 4 cylinder 2.5l car, and that it has the standard exhaust on it.
You can't get it without sport exhaust in the US. I think sport exhaust is excessive and fake sounding.

quote:

The lack of cruise control made it really annoying to drive. Why this model hadn't been specced with cruise control, I do not know. This can be retrofitted too.
I didn't know cruise control was optional, unless you mean adaptive cruise control, which is rarely specced.

quote:

This exact one is the one I took out: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303245578456
Looking closely, definitely no cruise control, no sport chrono, probably no sport exhaust. Likely no active suspension, likely no LSD (PTV+). The spec on this car is a mystery to me. Also the price, is only about 15,000 pounds less than a similarly specced 2023 Cayman S (if you can get one).

Sport suspension has amazed me on my Boxster T, both with it on and off. With it off ride is very nice and comfortable (for sports car) and with it on handling is incredibly precise and perfect. Sport chrono seems like a useless feature, but it actually gets you individual mode and maybe sport+, and active engine mounts.

quote:

I literally, no exaggeration, enjoyed driving the BMW e89 z4 2.0l more. Which has far less performance than the 718.
A slightly newer base model with all the performance features (or T) may be more fun then this weirdly specced S. Or a 6 cylinder GTS if you can find one for a sane price. I drove a 2003 E85 Z4 2.5L for ten years and find my new 718 Boxster T vastly more fun to drive, though a few comfort and luxury features on the Z4 were somewhat better (for the time). Also I prefer I-6 exhaust sounds to... everything.

quote:

I'm going to try out a 911 in a few weeks.
:getin:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

I rented a 718 Boxster for a long weekend trip in San Jose. It was a hoot! The 4 cylinder sounds pretty good in sport mode, not sure if that means it has the sports exhaust or what. Ventilated seats were a little weak. PDK behaved exactly like you want, even though I’d prefer a manual of course. Most importantly though, an absolute joy on the mountain roads, with the top down. Wife was a huge fan as well.

What are the market trends on used caymans and boxsters generally?

I think all 718's sold in the US will have sport exhaust. They are all an absolute joy to drive. Prices have recovered from Covid insanity to normal expensive used car prices. Every recommendation I hear is to buy Porsche CPO if possible. I bought new.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Have Boxster, can confirm it's huge fun.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

CCCR PCA HDPE at Laguna Seca:

https://i.imgur.com/8erda5u.mp4

If you ever have the chance to drive this track, DO IT.

The most amazing car out there was my instructor's 1960 356 Speedster. Also two new GT4RS and one new GT3RS.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

pokie posted:

I got a raise and am considering getting a 718, my 2nd car ever :dance:

My wants are manual transmission, decent handling and a nice interior/comfort. I like my current car (dodge challenger 2013) alright, but the black plastic interior is starting to inflict psychic damage. I have a couple of motorcycles so greater hp/torque of fancier Porsche models doesn't appeal all that much.

Here's the config I made

Thoughts / comments? Is there anything I should know about Porsche ownership in advance? Any tips on dealers?

I have a 2023 Boxster T. This spec mostly looks fine. I personally prefer PDK, and recommend you drive both. Base model Cayman will be very fun to drive. Sit in the various seats if you can. Leather interior is very nice. Get the extended fuel tank. The base sound system is weak, the Bose apparently is worth getting. Sport Chrono option is slightly more than a $2600 clock, it actually includes active engine mounts, and so could be considered a performance option, however there is virtually no info out there as to whether its worthwhile. A GTS will be vastly more desirable to many people.

The Boxster/Cayman T has been discontinued, due to being possibly the least popular variant ever. Boxster/Cayman T have no special lightening, GT3/4 parts, or performance. They are a base model with standard PTV, PASM, and Sport Chrono, plus some cosmetic touches. I bought a T because it was available in the color I wanted now, the only thing I missed out on were ventilated seats and the Bose stereo (and the latter probably due to chip shortages).

As for dealers and ordering, it sucks. Dealers are still riding high on 2.5 years of Covid car madness. Ordering a car, especially as a first time purchaser for a base model Cayman will not be a fast ordeal. Expect to wait 1 year or more for the car if you don't luck out into somehow getting an allocation when ordering. As a concrete example, a friend just got his Cayman GTS in July, he ordered it with an allocation in November. My recommendation is to watch https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/search/718?model=718&category=718-cayman&model-generation=982 across the whole country, or at least your area. Cars for dealer stock sometimes show up here before dealer's websites, it's how I got my Boxster T. If you're in California I can comment on various dealers.

An example: This Cayman S is the only new Racing Yellow model in Caliornia at the moment, and it's PDK.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Just dartboard major cities across the us in multiple searches. You also used to be able to change the query in the DOM inspector, changing it in the url doesn't work. Dealers can search the whole country. There are also brokerage services that are good at searching the whole country, and finding allocations, cost for that is usually less markup that large dealers charge for theirs. Also consider just calling every dealer in OR, WA, NorCal, etc, occasionally you'll get a lead on something like an incoming CPO, press car, etc, that's not listed on any website yet.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

One thing not really covered here is that Porsche CPO from a Porsche dealer will have a very good extended warranty from Porsche.

Convertible things:

Most tracks don't let you drive with the top down :(

If you're taller than 6'3" you probably won't fit in one with a helmet on.

Visibility is poor with the top up, the Lane Change Assist feature deals with this very well.

The Boxster/Cayman has enough road noise that with the top up there's not much of a difference between them.

You'll lose lots of hats. Keep a few extra in the frunk.

You'll get sunburned. Completely avoidable with sunblock and lip balm.

I love convertibles so I'm not one to talk you out of it.

The Boxster is not a 911, so if you're considering used Porsches...

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

pokie posted:

I do not plan to track an expensive car, at least not at this stage of my life.
But it's really fun.

quote:

What kind of hats are least prone to loss? Dorky ones with chin straps I assume - anything besides that?
I don't know, after losing a few of my favorite hats I just starting using cheap drugstore baseball hats with the top down.

quote:

I am not a fan of 911. I find the useless back seats offensive.
:same:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Everything I've read indicates that on newer Porsches unoptioned things are often completed omitted back to the wiring harness even. You'd probably be better off with aftermarket options.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Same. Are they getting delivered in the US yet?

I saw one in Irvine, CA in May. Or I'm pretty sure I did, sports cars seem to be converging on one very samey styling.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

The Management posted:

Let’s say I’m an idiot and walk into a Porsche dealership. I have a spec sheet for a new Carrera T and tell them I want one built exactly like this (nothing insane but also not the highest specced one you can possibly make). How is that going to go? Are they going to kill me on markup? Tell me to take a hike? Pretend like my money is actually something they desire and give me good customer service?

Some dealers will happily take your money and lie to you about when you'll get the car. Some will tell you some degree of truth. It's really best to call every dealer within twice the range you think you're willing to travel and find with an allocation they will give you, or possibly sell you. Even with an allocation expect at least six months to get the car. Don't risk things like European or PEC delivery. Be willing to make compromises. Look for existing cars on lots or in transit matching the key parts of your spec.

Russian Bear posted:

Did Porsche resolve their banned electronics import issue?

Yes, but people will probably be mentioning it for the rest of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

in 2017, so that may have changed.

Everything changed in 2020. Many things about buying luxury goods you think or want to have changed back most dealers desperately want to keep. When I suggest giving up on European Delivery it's more about reducing complication and focusing on the thing most important to you. If a dealer says that ED will get you a guaranteed allocation then by all means do it, that's less than you might pay for an allocation directly, often $5,000+.