Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Looking at getting a Boxster, and have found a 987.2 locally that I really enjoyed driving. Took it to Porsche for their 111-point inspection ($400 but I think well worth it). Came back with a bunch of small poo poo like "small mark on convertible top" (didn't even see it) and "some scratches on door sill where people dragged their shoes getting in", and brake pads worn > 50%, but had two things that seemed more worth addressing: leak near/around water pump and a "stage 4 overrev". Been reading up on the overrev and it sounds like someone missed a shift at some point and spun it up to 800-1000 past redline. Seems like it's generally a non issue as long as the car runs fine and some time has passed.

So anyway, with this info I approached the dealer selling it (smaller enthusiast car dealer with a good rep) and asked what they thought about it. They said they'd replace the waterpump or possibly hoses (whatever is causing the minor leak), put all new pads on and replace the front disks (which they thought were starting to look worn), and do a compression+leakdown test since that's what Porsche recommended for the overrev thing.

Feels like as long as the compression test is good and they do the rest, it ought to be a solid buy. What do you guys think? It's a 987.2 with sport chrono, the infotainment package, the comfort package, white gauges and 6-speed. 40k miles. Price is about what they generally go for but in this case I'd be getting a car that's had some issues identified and addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Feels like as long as the compression test is good and they do the rest, it ought to be a solid buy. What do you guys think? It's a 987.2 with sport chrono, the infotainment package, the comfort package, white gauges and 6-speed. 40k miles. Price is about what they generally go for but in this case I'd be getting a car that's had some issues identified and addressed.

Just following up here, the compression test was good (around 260psi on all cylinders). They're replacing the waterpump and doing brakes and a full service on it so should be done next week. Inshallah I will be a Boxster owner before long.

Option list (thank god someone replaced the white wheels, loving Germans)

342 Multi-stage Heating System for Front Seats
409 18" Cayman S II Wheel
584 Storage box
635 ParkAssist Rear
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
CMA Mirror Attachment Point Finishers Painted in Exterior Color
P4G Comfort Package
P4R Infotainment Package
XD9 Wheels Painted in Exterior Color
XFJ Instrument Dials in Carrara White
XMK Roll Bar in Exterior Color

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's a bit weird that it's not registered to the dealer but to a private owner. I have no idea about this particular dealer, but that is sometimes a loophole dealers use so they don't have to offer you any warranty since "we didn't sell the car, we only sold it for that guy". Not that it matters much to most people, but I'm assuming you know it's an import?

Yeah, the dealer is the one that imported it on behalf of the first owner here since they had a hard time finding a suitable one within the country. It then was sold to another guy in the same city. The dealer has been very good to deal with (taking it to Porsche for inspection on their own dime and then addressing every issue they found) so not worried about any shady business from them. I honestly didn't reflect over the ownership since I assume they were doing some sort of consignment sale but maybe not a bad idea to just pose the question to them. The second time the car was sold in Sweden the dealer took ownership for two days before the new owner so either it was a quick sale or they do the ownership transfer right before selling it for...reasons?

As for the waterpump I mentioned, it was a cracked hose so the WP itself is fine. They ordered a new one and it should be in early next week. Porsche was fairly vague about the issue ("leak by waterpump") but the mechanic said it was very obvious so gotta wonder if they deliberately wrote it like that so you couldn't easily get a quote for the work elsewhere.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 14, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ended up getting that 987.2 Boxster I posted about earlier. And man it is nice. Base model but has all the power I need and handles like a dream.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Didn't know the base got white gauge faces, I thought that was the S models only.

It was an option apparently:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Crazy summer weather here in Sweden, 23C today. Really been enjoying the 987.

willroc7 posted:

After many blows by the ugly tree.

I think she's a beauty!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kensei posted:

I uh must be doing it wrong?

Same here.

Friendly reminder to check all the drains. Put my top halfway down and inspected the drains there and they were pretty gunked up. Did a thorough cleaning and now it pees like a race horse if you dump a bunch of water on it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kensei posted:

I've not done this in the last two years I have owned mine so thanks for the idea!

Just make sure you get 'em all! So far I checked the two big ones with filters that are in the cavity the top goes into, then two smaller ones with drain holes right near them (on the "lip" part), then two more near the battery in the front, and finally one under the fuel lid. I put the top about halfway up to get to the rear ones and it wasn't a difficult operation. If things seem clogged you can run something flexible down there to clean them out, but it was enough in my case to just run some water through and flush them out.

Couple of entertaining encounters today. Was at Lidl picking up a lunch salad and as I'm getting into the Boxster a lady in her 70s comes up to me. "You know, you wouldn't believe it looking at me, but I had a Z3 and drove the hell out of that thing. Nice car you've got there." Then went by the tire place to see if I could get the fronts balanced (felt a small shimmy in the steering wheel). Popped the frunk to pull the locking nut key out, then popped the trunk to get something else. Another customer comes up, looking a bit confused. "Where the heck's the ENGINE then?"

Anyway, turns out the passenger side wheels were a bit off balance so they fixed that and now it's smooth like butter again.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love people

Just love ‘em

Parked outside our house today and sometime in the middle of the afternoon this happens. Hours after I get home from the tire place where we just discovered the pothole I whacked last week bent two rims that now need to be fixed. Great day, just great.

(for the record: I am nice to loving everyone, I don't drive like an idiot, and as far as I know I have no enemies)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 15, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bass Ackwards posted:

My 987 has been spat on, and I've come back to it at the grocery store to discover shopping carts intentionally left behind it. I don't drive or park like an rear end in a top hat either.

People are just lovely.

Also hello fellow two bent rim buddy. I had a vibration I couldn't track down and discovered at some point before I got the car, it'd gone over a pothole and bent both right rims. The shop that fitted the new tires not long after I got the car just never bothered telling me about it when they were balancing them.

Did you get them straightened out? Tire shop here has a guy they send bent wheels to and in most cases they come back as new. I know Porsche is against this but they also want $4k for a new set of these wheels so there might be a little bias there.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Did you get them straightened out? Tire shop here has a guy they send bent wheels to and in most cases they come back as new. I know Porsche is against this but they also want $4k for a new set of these wheels so there might be a little bias there.

I decided to give it a go. Cost $80/wheel. Dropped the car off this morning and they pulled the wheels and stripped the tires, then the wheel guy came and picked them up. Got a call 5 hours later that they were done, so picking it up tomorrow. Let's hope it came out ok but it sounds promising.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

And I mention the top because if it's garage kept now and hasn't had a new top in the last decade you can be nearly guaranteed that it will not survive living outside. Most only need one decent hard rain before the ECU that is conveniently located under the passenger's seat at the lowest point of the floor pan never works again.

New top or not, the roof drains being clogged are often the culprit when it comes to soaked electronics. Easy enough to check if you know you need to do it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

"Boy, am I glad I bought that cheap Porsche" is a sentence never uttered in the English language.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Oof. I got an 8mm bolt in one of my rear tires a month ago but they were able to patch it from inside. I am sure Porsche would be horrified at such a thing and prefer I immediately toss out my near-new Pilot Sports but I'm not planning on any epic marathon Autobahn runs so I think I'll survive.

Just put the 987.2 away for the winter since I live in the cursed north. Literally started snowing the same day I drove to the garage where it'll sit. Keeping it on a Ctek maintenance charger so hopefully it'll just be a matter of firing it up in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got the 987.2 out of hibernation today. Been sitting in a garage for six months and it fired up and was ready to go like it's just been sitting overnight. I sure missed my baby. Hoping Porsche will release a PCCM for the .2 soon so I can get Carplay and poo poo. The 987.1 was designated "classic" last year so we'll see when mine is.