Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw this the other day

Not the greatest pictures admittedly, but it was super dark and I only had an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

willie_dee posted:

The GT4? I think they are still trading hands in the USA for silly overs, although they have stagnated here in the UK.

IIRC the 3.4 liter engine in the S trim is a 911 engine, while GT4 has the 911 S engine.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

All current 718 and 991 are offered in manual except the Turbo. You could even get a Cayenne in manual at least until 2012. No idea what the actual breakdown is, though. At least still enough to make it worth their while. I guess something about US regulations makes it prohibitively expensive to manufacturers to even offer manual on models, or at least that is their excuse.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

I can kind of understand the premium on the really old models, fetching $100k easily.

But this is a regular ol' 2001 996... it just has never been driven

Why on gods green earth would someone pay that much money, when they could buy a 911 turbo that is only a few years old for the same money, or less if they find a good deal

This just seems insane to me, and yes I say that knowing full well just how insane the used Porsche market is

That is a turbo. But yeah, doesn't low milage just mean none of the routine maintenance has been done as well? If you're buying a 996 Turbo, presumably it's to drive it, because I cannot understand why else you would buy it. It seems like paying premium for a car that is going to be a poo poo show. My friend bought a low milage 80s Mercedes 300D, and it is pretty much constantly breaking down.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think he meant to say air-cooled. 911s (especially long hood) and 993s go for pretty stupid money. 964s (3.6 turbo excepted) don't seem to be that bad quite yet. Prices on 996 seem to be going up, though.

This price just seems stupid to me. I suspect that is even more than what this 997 Turbo will be asking.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is that separate from the IMS thing? M97 engine is, as far as I know, extremely expensive. I think it would be more of a scandal if they needed replacement at 80-90k.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, I get Porsches are expensive. My thinking was more, considering these cars are selling used for around 30k, I would be surprised if the engines routinely needed major work or replacement at 50-70% of your purchase price. But maybe I'm wrong and that's why they're selling for 30k in the first place.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think that’s the price for the S, not the base. I’m not too hot on the interior. It looks like all the buttons along the center console are gone.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Not just those. GT2, GT3, GT4, 991 911R, newest Speedster (I think), etc. Basically anything from Andreas Preuninger’s side of the house.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

can it just be for a month so I can "hoon" a 911s every single day for $3,100?

Yeah it says you can and it’s cheaper than renting one on Turo. Not sure if you would get charged the $600 “activation fee” just once or every single time you want to re-up for a month.

It’s not offered in my area or I would almost consider it. I suppose I could pick up/drop off in a nearby service area. Maybe when I get my bonus in April :unsmith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Those tires are 6 years old, based on my reading. I personally would replace tires that old, so keep that in mind.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

In any crash the people who buy Porsches are not the one impacted.

Are you confusing Porsche with McLaren or Ferrari?? You can buy a new Porsche for ~60k. That’s wage earner territory. I’m not saying that is necessarily a good idea, but you guys all seem to think every Porsche is way more expensive and exotic than it really is. Some certainly are, but those are exceptions.

No, I don’t have a Porsche, because they’re too expensive. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IIHS is better than NHTSA IMO, but they don’t have any Porsche data either. You could try Euro NCAP, but I am not familiar with them beyond their existence.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/porsche/macan/7888

edit: also, these are for EU cars. I assume with regards to crash safety they are the same but perhaps not!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 21, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

991 RSR was mid engine.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yellow on yellow is a little much for me though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No Peru Red??

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dema posted:

Mt Evans is open again. Went up this morning.

So rad. People in Colorado are about the only ones who can give me road envy. I really need to just suck it up and make the all day trip up to Lassen.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Last summer I went to the sierras a bit lower Toe, I met my friend in Tracy and we took 2 lane back roads all the way to placerville and back in a day and it was a pretty great ride even with things being closed. Not sure if it was just covid summer but the roads there were all super open, especially compared to Santa Cruz mountains at the same time.

Yeah good idea. We're really spoiled for roads around here, but I'm still jealous of those absolutely epic mountain views. Mount Hamilton is look a little pathetic in comparison. I also just really love those narrow, bumpy roads, so that picture stirs my soul.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That's cool. I didn't realize that was a thing you could do without buying a car. I might have to make a weekend of this. Is it 90 minutes of driving time or 90 minutes total (including any instruction, transition, etc.)?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Not 100% sure it is that modern! Women did not have the vote across the whole country until 1990 and it is often very local and conservative. People mentally lump Switzerland together with the Nordics culturally for some reason but it's pretty different.

One of my colleagues was reported to the police for letting her daughter sit on her lap and drive in a deserted car park.

I guess there is almost zero visible crime. Anyway it's a nice place to live but often really loving weird.

My friend lived in Zürich for a few years and described it as the least friendly place he's ever lived. He gave an example of whenever he would have a party, he'd invite his neighbors, who immediately after leaving would always call the cops to shut the party down since they decided they were done for the night. Maybe he just had particularly unfriendly neighbors :shobon: but it does seem line with what you're saying.

How much does the culture change between cantons and language regions?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Graphite blue is the best color imho

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

There is a GT3RS driving around my neighborhood with extremely prominent Ferrari badges. Is this a thing, or just a good way to spend 200k on a car and then troll other car enthusiasts?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dema posted:

drat. I’ve never seen an MV do well in the media shootouts, they’re almost always last place, but I still want one. Oh well. I’ll suffer with my Superduke.

Idk the MV looks like a giant turd to me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

Why would you, as a vey inexperienced driver, buy a car like that?

Steakandchips just likes picking fights with dealerships :cheeky:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The downside of European Delivery is after you "get" your car, you have to turn it back in and wait for it to arrive again, which can take 2-3 months iirc, maybe even worse now. That said it's definitely something I want to do one day.

Also drat has the 718 always been 65k base? I thought it was like 56-58k

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

“PORSCHE” lettering on a Porsche owns.

:hellyeah:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw a GT3 Touring in British Racing Green with gold wheels and I now know this is the one true color scheme.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Whoa, I've never seen Thunderhill green. :wth: It actually looks quite nice. I hope it's still like that in June when I go.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

People in SF do not see a 986 Boxster and think “rich.” That said, your car is absolutely going to be broken into immediately, and the bumpers will be scratched into oblivion.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car. In the last 5.5 years I have driven just over 45k km. I am in the US, so presumably the power generation is not particularly clean, and it would take me over 12 years to drive 100k km, possibly longer since I would avoid taking long trips in an EV. And then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus. If we had a green power grid (lol) then it would be a different story, but they are not a magic bullet for climate change. You could probably do more to stop climate change by having empty office towers turn off their lights and ban AC below 85F/30C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

None of this is true. Do you sit around with an anti-EV screed cocked and ready to go whenever you think you awkwardly jam it into a conversation?

The 50-100 number is from Volvo’s assessment of their own electrification. Did something happen to make it not true, or is it only true specifically for Volvo?