Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the very first .gif ...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

http://oneterabyteofkilobyteage.tumblr.com/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

now i want a vaporwave e1m1 thanks

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Liver Disaster posted:

this is a mine map, right?
owns

R & Sie(n) ’ s I ’ ve Heard About . . . (a Flat, Fat, Growing Urban Experiment)
(2005 – 2006) is an urban system composed of data structures. 185 This project shows that algorithmic architecture is not merely the static embodiment
of an instrumental rationality, but instead implies the reality of infinite
contingencies as the urban system grows, extends, and transforms beyond
the data that were programmed into its initial state. The urban structure
grows according to the coral transformation of algorithms by recycled,
synthesized, and polymerized data materials. [...]

https://mega.co.nz/#!AR5AHIbJ!SlH4ywbFjUsi8Xx56jb6MnsmqUhmdwAHeNttrELZJBA

“In Contagious Architecture, Luciana Parisi offers a philosophical inquiry into the status of the #algorithm in architectural and interaction design. Her thesis is that algorithmic computation is not simply an abstract mathematical tool but constitutes a mode of thought in its own right, in that its operation extends into forms of abstraction that lie beyond direct human cognition and control. These include modes of infinity, contingency, and indeterminacy, as well as incomputable quantities underlying the iterative process of algorithmic processing.

The main philosophical source for the project is Alfred North Whitehead, whose process philosophy is specifically designed to provide a vocabulary for “modes of thought” exhibiting various degrees of autonomy from human agency even as they are mobilized by it. Because algorithmic processing lies at the heart of the design practices now reshaping our world—from the physical spaces of our built environment to the networked spaces of digital culture—the nature of algorithmic thought is a topic of pressing importance that reraises questions of control and, ultimately, power. Contagious Architecture revisits cybernetic theories of control and information theory’s notion of the incomputable in light of this rethinking of the role of algorithmic thought. Informed by recent debates in political and cultural theory around the changing landscape of power, it links the nature of abstraction to a new theory of power adequate to the complexities of the digital world.”

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the logic of computation and its ingression into culture.
It describes a world in which algorithms are no longer or are not simply
instructions to be performed, but have become performing entities: actuali-
ties that select, evaluate, transform, and produce data.

e. words are not pictures

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 3, 2015

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

do u even digital humanities
i'm going to make a yoslit thread when i have the ffort.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gonadic io posted:

the scifi thread discusses fiction a lot, or did you mean non-fiction?

non-fiction tho i guess much of non-fiction is fictional. i suppose i should post there, as well

---

During Hermes's tedious monologue, all of Argus's many eyes gradually close in sleepiness, and his fate is sealed. Argus, in essence, was bored to death by the most boring thing of all, tales about technology. --- Alexander Galloway, "Love of the Middle"

e. picture

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 3, 2015

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

steaks trains bikes tips

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZv8APH5_Y

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 4, 2015

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dogs aren't computers

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2015

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

monsantno

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

is she wearing the top part of headphones as future eyes

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

japan has a Worst Robot competition lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ivFpsmEVQ

e: skip to 6 mins to see all the fights

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Kuvo posted:

this just a bunch of IR LEDs in a hat or something?

yup. thermal clothes are p neat also

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

lets just get a job in some random place with never traveling there, that sure makes sense

uhhh. have you never uprooted? if you have no dependencies it's not a hard thing to do but ymwv. if you don't care where you live and your not picky on what you need to do to get by it's not unreasonable.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah but how are you affording the move itself. you keep not talking about that.

i was in this situation once, i paid for it by selling myself to medical trials. the study i was doing at the time testing allergy medication which paid me ~$6000. there are many amusing ways to make money. i was once paid $2000 to smoke government weed and drive a car around an obstacle course

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Move over poutine

it's quite inferior to poutine

this rabbit poutine is really good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Gus Hobbleton posted:

text me
no really, text me. tell me how you got into this poo poo because im poor as gently caress and i will sell my soul for rent

i will give you a handful of resources. the last trial i did was miserable, testing heavy anti-psychotics(paid handsomely at least) but the study before that and my upcoming study are testing opiates so that owns.

anyways.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/
http://www.canadatrials.com/
https://www.ciscrp.org/

check your local papers, metro ads etc. even google your city + medical trials and you might find something. i'm not sure where you live or i'd try to give you more specific information. if you don't live in a large city you might not have an industry for it but some will pay for your transportation (even internationally but that could be sketchy). just, do your research on the drugs beforehand. maybe avoid phase 1 trials as they've never been tested on humans. a lot of stuff is just reformulations or new methods of administration in any case, or perhaps the drugs have been approved in europe but not yet NA. universities will have studies also, but they pay less generally. universities have paid me to take dexedrine and get my brain scanned for a few hundred bucks, been paid to monitor my sleep over a weekend, even to get real drunk and answer a questionnaire. idk be tenacious about hunting for these things.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Kuvo posted:

how do i sign up for this

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01592409?state1=NA%3ACA%3AON&rcv_d=30

it's not exactly the same, as it's a driving simulator. still, "A single cannabis cigarette (potency 12.5% THC) will be given to participants to smoke over a 10 minute period"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

du -hast posted:

amorak of course, on an Ubuntu 12.04 Unity system

or that one that allowed you to play mp3s from the terminal with /dev/dsp in unix, i forget the name

MOC is my preferred terminal music player

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Valeyard posted:

can someone create YOSPOS Linux

already exists http://www.ponyos.org/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shirt idea

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

"As a subscription-based station for ambient and New Age music, St.GIGA listeners were already equipped with 'BS tuners' prior to St.GIGA's contract with Nintendo. Satellaview owners who lacked a 'BS tuner' had to purchase one separately from St.GIGA at a price of ¥33,000"
- Heisei-era Domestic Consumption (Mizuho Financial Group)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i remember some roundabouts were introduced in ontario and they had stop signs. that defeats the point you fuckers

• Locked thread