Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

ADINSX posted:

I was thinking the same thing riding a ferris wheel yesterday.

It had what looked like large lawnmower tires attached to car-engine sized boxes that probably contained electric motors... and that was running the entire thing, I think.

at some of the dodgier rural fairs in aus you see ones that are actually run off of a passenger car motor and transmission and you just have to have faith that they have the throttle limited lol
and some of the smaller merry-go-rounds were powered by the tiny little motors out of postie bikes (pictured), for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like this is not a joke and he really does have a closet full of identical gray hoodies

he's optimised his clothing algorithm

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Panty Saluter posted:

"heh, nice landing" :smug:
*morons chuckle*

is the plane upright and not on fire? yeah, you can probably shut the gently caress up about the pilot's landing performance of a massively heavy vehicle at speed on a wet runway then

a lot of them didn't seem to have realised it was off the runway at all tho - the uploader apparently didn't realise until they checked the footage.

Props to the pilot for not deciding to gun it and try to take off or they might've actually had something to snark about, if they lived.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i bet a chronic masturbator could hang on longer or pull themselves up

I can't believe not one of you made a 'pull themselves off' joke.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

i thought that even from the plane it looked like the guy put his hands up, then turned around and started fumbling with something in the front of his jacket, and was shot. when you are a known-to-be-armed insane militia leader, and you have like ten cops pointing guns at you, you shouldn't really turn your back to them and reach into your coat.

why did they cover up the airplane info i wonder? it's not like the altitude or airspeed are national secrets

could've contained gps coordinates (not that sensitive either) and would likely have had plane registration - it could be an unmarked plane? not that anyone would be surprised or even care really, but it'd make the plane a lot less useful for surveillance i guess? people would recognise it etc etc

+ if the airspeed was higher than the posted speed limit (it'd probably have to be) then militiamen would probably claim the dude was ~just shot for speeding~ or some horseshit lol

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

KoRMaK posted:

accidently saw these guys wednesday and it was an amazing suprise to have a band come on, know nothing about them, and have them hit everything right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFbIx1jIcWU

there was a slender long haired figure on stage with their back to the audience while tuning guitars and i had a moment where i was like "wow that lady roadie looks great... hey, wait a minute.... im not sure thats a lady!"

Then she turned around and they all started playing and i fell in love :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXf30efaYA

Kinda reminds me of this Mexican stoner rock band, Spacegoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-9VNz9V3H4

They're making an album at the moment I think, which'd be their first release for like 4 years, tho they've been playing gigs consistently.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

infernal machines posted:

aren't there fairly major manufacturing shutdowns too? like, you don't schedule a product run to begin or ship anywhere within that two week window because it will just sit until the end of the holiday

it is at least partially because of freight logistics - a day off in the freight industry means like, weeks dealing with the backlog + shipping out the new stuff, especially in an export nation where freight is used extremely heavily.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

The bells! THE BELLS!!!

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

ArmZ posted:

quoting from pages ago cause this is sexy as all hellllllll

its the sound of so many classic songs but they are so fuckin rare, im glad there's an emulator for them out.
the hardware was /incredible/ in its day

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

ol qwerty bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3bFxdAZsY

i feel like if you actually tried this with that much thermite your kettle would just explode and then the thermite would burn down your house as it melted through your concrete floor

i mean i know furze is nuts but surely he's not actually nuts enough to set off freaking thermite indoors

im pretty sure that's in his new bunker, besides which, he's set off pulse-jet powered kettles, and assorted flamethrowers, in his shed before.

there is nothing too nuts for him to do indoors, i'm pretty sure this all ends with a DIY grand-slam bunkerbuster project.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

when was the last time he published anything actually explicitly about evolutionary biology?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

theflyingorc posted:

a long long time

also real good amazing work with memes. nobody else ever thought "gee i wonder if my particular field of study applies to ~everything~" before, ur the first person to do that dick dorkins

it's always been hilarious to me how much he hates sociologists given his primary contribution to theory has been 'sociology but with biological metaphors'.

at least we got some cool videogames out of it.

axolotl farmer posted:

2009. The Greatest Show on Earth.

Thought it was something like that

epipen fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 12, 2016

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
it's gotta be a stunt, but i want to believe

shkreli is planning to put up a gofundme fundraiser tomorrow (to cover his losses, i assume?)

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

oh man i bet this is worse than the statins episode

ABC News posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-12/abcs-catalyst-program-breached-impartiality-standards/5447242

More than 60,000 Australians cut back on or stopped taking cholesterol-lowering drugs known as statins after a program questioning their effectiveness aired on Australian TV, researchers have estimated.
Researchers said an estimated 60,897 fewer people filled their statins prescriptions in the eight months following the Catalyst broadcast.

catalyst got weird

epipen fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 16, 2016

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

:wtc:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

liverdance

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

that type of cockatoo might be indonesian but it's an honourary australian.

all cockatoos are bogans :3:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

big scary monsters posted:

there are some valid points being made in that comic but using neckbeards specifically to illustrate them is dumb because a) societal pressure to conform to "arbitrary grooming standards" is no bad thing when those standards are mainly things like showering regularly, and b) i don't think that something you can shave off on two minutes with no ill effect can really be considered an inherent part of your person like say gender

i think the point is more that executive dysfunction (a pretty common symptom of autism, and some other disorders like add and adhd) makes it difficult to remember/plan to do things, like eat, sleep, shower and shave, etc - so it's actually pretty difficult for some people to remember to do that stuff. nowadays people can use stuff like phone alarms and 'habit rpgs' (that reward you for completing irl tasks) to help.

They still picked literally the worst example tho, and blaming autistic people for the typicalredditor.jpg phenomenon is really, really dumb lmao, it's really not any better than calling redditors autistic in and of itself. there's a bit of a difference between 'actually struggles with this stuff' and 'deliberately awful internet subculture'.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

towards the end of it he sounds like the supervillain about to murder the gently caress out of the hero, except baird's actually the rear end in a top hat

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

prefect posted:

who's the guy in the napoleon/admiral hat? i've seen him in a couple pictures recently

russel crowe, the only time new zealand has been grateful everyone thinks a kiwi is australian

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

at this point howtobasic just makes me feel vaguely ill

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

jre posted:

Jesus that's a dumb thing to do

wildlife carers look after bats all the time, this one's a babby that had a broken wing iirc.
they're not really good vectors for rabies unless they're big ones like flying foxes tbh - it's more parasites you need to worry about but the whole point of the carer looking after them is to get them well and not infested :v
kinda important to the survival of a lot of endangered bat species

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

children are not necessarily bad people

have you ever met a child?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

SmokaDustbowl posted:

has any astronaut on the ISS kept a dream journal? that would be super interesting

Scott Kelly said his dreams aboard the ISS were crazy in a reddit AMA but didn't actually explain that. would be cool as gently caress to read an astronaut dream journal

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Dongslayer. posted:

also jack black

oh poo poo. Was that recent neil cicierega vid w/ the arcade a nod to to that ep? i dont think any jenkem was involved in it, tho

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

cheese-cube posted:

lol there actually is an SVG webcomic: http://www.bifter.co.uk/

i get that the site is supposed to show off fancy HTML5 poo poo but christ
why would you post that unreadable garbage?
how many of his pageviews were webdev students being given examples of what NOT to do, or people who had to see this bullshit to believe it?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

the dude sounds kind of like a white south african with a thick accent

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

caption missed a perfect opportunity for 'now dont meowve please'

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
https://vine.co/v/ivnhi3IJQ7j

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

once he did this to a bunch of old french geezers who walked by while we were at the park. they gave him the most incredibly awful looks

hadn't he even read Asterix le Gaulois

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
do suction cup dent pullers come in XL?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
those ppl tend to have a pretty legitimate need for an anxiolytic of some sort.

kinda sucks that all the effective ones are either addictive, potentially lethal, or both

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

sadly there will probably never be an anxiolytic other than therapy that works for more than 4 weeks straight and therapy is a) so hard to get b) so expensive c) so stigmatized that its not seen as a valid option

therapy is also not terribly effective for some people - often there's kind of a one size fits all approach (once upon a time it was psychoanalysis ala-freud and jung, nowadays it's cognitive behavioural therapy i guess), and not all therapists are all that great tbh.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah agreed, lotta bad therapists out there, but things are getting better

CBT is branching off into things like DBT that are being found more effective for certain things etc

DBT has been around a while, its mostly for borderline pd, but i think it's shown some promise for people with multiple co-occuring conditions, particularly involving trauma (eg. depression + gad + ptsd as a result of trauma)
it's not very commonplace yet, though, and lots of insurers seem to not want to cover it for some reason? which probably doesn't help.
a lot of psychs seem to not be very understanding or sympathetic to their patients, too - like, if things aren't improving its clearly because the patient isn't trying, etc.
my experiences are probably coloured by where i am, tho - rural aus isn't known for being a wonderful place :v

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

KoRMaK posted:

yea, are they like barely seething with antimosity or something?

jamie and adam still work together on Tested (which is a sort of web magazine/youtube channel thing that was owned by the company that owned giantbomb at one point), idk what the other 3 are doing.
i dont think there's animosity so much as falling ratings and running out of poo poo to do a couple seasons ago - the show started getting /really/ boring a few years back and I can't imagine working on it was much fun at that point.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
yeah, i liked Jamie's stuff on tested but i get the impression he's a bit over it.
Adam's builds are magical tbh, and last year when he was posting vids of all sorts of helmets and stuff he bought was really fun to watch

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCReGjfZ_A
idk if this is the one im thinking of but the one where he explains bits of Solo's Blaster are from model aircraft, i think the flash-hider is straight up an RC airplane glowplug engine, poo poo like that, was pretty funny.
or the one where he made the spacesuits from Alien and found the mics in the helmets were actually toggle switches used in MG coupes and old aircraft lol

edit: my bad, the glowplug engine is on the front of the magazine well of the mauser (edited again, gently caress)

epipen fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 7, 2016

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Improbable Lobster posted:

is that the one that makes you snipe better

honestly mgs should have just said propranolol, its really good at mitigating tremors and dulling the effect of adrenaline on heartrate and breathing. it's pretty safe for most people and doesn't knock you out. Surgeons are known to abuse it to reduce tremors when performing surgery, and public speakers and performers to reduce physical symptoms of stagefright.

speaking of, guess which medication a random doctor just chucked a tantrum about me being prescribed lmao

there's no point to apap/opiate meds, tbh, other than loving up your liver if you try to take too much. the opiates are already /really/ good painkillers, the apap isn't augmenting them in any way

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Trig Discipline posted:

although i must say the ocean around here is like a big amalgamation of "haha gently caress you" animals. like way worse than australia. we went out night tidepooling the other night and caught two lionfish, two stonefish (including one that is THE MOST VENOMOUS FISH IN THE WORLD), and a rabbitfish (also venomous, despite the name). that's just what we brought home; we also saw a blue ringed octopus and some black banded sea kraits, and probably crushed a million cone snails for good measure. getting in the water out here is goddamn intense

sounds like north queensland but without the 5m crocodiles lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

well since they don't have to prove intent for this kind of penalty, all that matters is that it appears he was trying to tamper with it, regardless of whether his method works. putting a big magnet on the old-fashioned mechanical meters would indeed mess with the accuracy of the reading.

like, even though those holographic plastic sheets they sell to put over your license plate don't do poo poo to stop red-light cameras from seeing the numbers, you'll still get a ticket for doing it

some digital meters still work the same as the old electro-mechanical meters - induction causing the disc to spin - but using a hall effect sensor on a tone ring (think like how ABS monitors the speed of all four wheels on a car, or on some cars how the ECU knows what position the camshafts are in) instead of just driving a meter of a gear - it just makes it easier for the meter guys to read.
that should honestly just get a warning.
all the meters here are in boxes that make it hard to put magnets anywhere near them anyway, and usually your fuses and poo poo are in it too. which is a bit of a pain in the rear end if your power goes out in a storm so you have to go outside in the rain to flip the switches back on

• Locked thread