Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

I think they just have the Khans as various not-Khans. In the Khans future the naga rule over the Sultai and in Dragons the best of them has been reduced to a zombie. Surrak has become the Huntmaster and kind of a huge racist? Taigam is with the Ojutai this time around and Zurgo is the Bellringer for the Kolaghan. Only person we don't know about is Anafenza.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think its there to be the thing that pisses you off when you open it in draft. Granted, I could be wrong, but WOTC doesn't seem too keen on dragons that cost less than 5 CMC anyways, so I just assume it will be too hard to really build a limited deck around the type.

With all the dragons they have in the set, I don't think it will be useless in draft, but not something you'd p1p1, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves. What seems unsustainable is bothering to let any of your underlings live when they'd be much more dependable and lower maintenance as zombies. It's very much in black's flavor to view all your subordinates as utterly disposable, makes sense to me. :shrug:

I think the women(?) standing at guard in front of Silumgar are alive, in any case.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Why is Athreos still 10 bucks when it hasn't show up in any competitive deck anywhere? Is it an EDH thing?

Probably Tiny Leaders, too.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Seems pretty good, you can follow this up with Kolaghan for 10 damage.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oh dang, you're right.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Say it with me:

Mono-Dragon Devotion. :smaug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Minority Deport posted:

Translation from MTGSalvation:

(Silumgar's Assasin) 1B
Creature - Human Assassin Rare
Creatures with power greater than ~'s power can't block it.
Megamorph 2B
When ~ is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

I really like this card; I wonder if the red one is a one-drop.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ral Zarek-Stasis is pretty fun in terms of interactions, IMO.

Angry Grimace posted:

Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

The Shaman is OK and ironically gives GR Monsters a new win condition, but I'm super-interested in the Command cycle.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

That Mythic is worse in every real way than Elvish Mystic.

Elvish Mystic can't win the game on the spot against low-creature control decks?

Balon posted:

I don't know if it's because I like tokens a lot but I feel boltwing marauder may see play.

Hordeling Outburst says hi.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

This card will never win the game on the spot against anyone ever, let's not get crazy

Why not?

Starving Autist posted:

Not every mythic has to be constructed caliber, but that ability certainly feels mythic. Maybe they could print it on a rare, but I don't know.

I feel like Biorhythm would've been printed at Mythic today, so this doesn't feel like a stretch to me.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

The idea they're having is that the ability is super cool or splashy or whatever. But nobody will ever actually get it off because they priced it way too high and the ability itself isn't actually all that good.

It's not priced too high for a Devotion deck, IMO.

VVV Honestly they might ban it for being too close to Biorhythm, which is already banned in EDH.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

If you are getting to 11 devotion you almost assuredly would rather play something more impactful than a guy that gives you 1 devotion and does practically nothing else until you hit 11 and then when he does, doesn't necessarily win you the game.

11 Devotion and/or any combination of decent Devotion, Xena-walker, having a second Nykthos in hand, etc. It's a nice 1 or 2-of in those decks since it helps you ramp into bigger stuff anyways and can block smaller creatures, and nothing more. Not sure why you feel so assured of using words like "never" with it.

EDIT:

quote:

You're better off just Monstrousing a Polukranos for 11 and wiping their board and then attacking for more because Polukranos is actually a good card at all times.

Exactly, which is why you would theorectically only run a singleton or two of the Shaman; it's a nice corner-case against matchups where your example isn't viable or unlikely, etc.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Except this guy costs 3 mana and a card. He isn't worth it for his abilities and stats. Bad card is bad.

Because the best time to make final judgments about a card are within the first 30 minutes of you being aware of its existence? :v:

quote:

I say "never" because nobody who's actually trying to win as opposed to pull some Timmy poo poo would actually play this card. The situation you're describing is what we call "win-more."

Or a situation in which attacking with 8 power won't win you the game, and this guy would either kill an opponent or ensure that the ensuing combat would. Like I said, a corner case and worthy of maybe a 1 or 2-of. The rush to condemn it as unplayable seems misplaced.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Dude, 99% of the time your first judgment is right.

MTGSalvation.txt

quote:

It doesn't have enough text to be that hard, man.

It has more than Elvish Mystic which you originally compared it to.

quote:

Again, $10 to the charity of your choice if he gets into a game on camera. My money's safe.

You are, like, obsessed with proving this card you've only known about for an hour is bad. Admittedly I missed the bet offer (did you edit it in a previous post?), but I'm sure there are stipulations beyond "could technically appear on any streamed game of Constructed magic in any format, for all time?" :v:

TheKingofSprings posted:

In what deck do you want this over Courser, especially when Lightning Strike and Bile Blight are both very real considerations

Why are you assuming I would replace Courser with this? EDIT: I don't play the deck personally, but perhaps replace a single Mystic with this? A single Caryatid? I guess I'd just like to have that sort of discussion than an immediate "This card is bad and you should make a bet you're assured to lose if you say otherwise. :smug:" Like, what the gently caress is the point otherwise?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You're not even losing anything on the bet. Just name the charity and if it shows up, I'll send money to it. Its easy and my money is safe.

I appreciate it, but just send the Red Cross some money and theorycraft with me in this thread instead.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Silumgar's Command will probably be Kill target monocolored creature/draw 2 discard 1/counter target instant or sorcery/target player discards 2 cards.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I mean we're all hoping that the u/b command won't mill but honestly what are the odds of that.

Has UB/Sultai had any opponent-mill cards besides Nemesis Wave? The only other one I can think of are all Jeskai/Ojutai-related.

EDIT: As in cards meant to mill the opponent, not as a way to fuel Delve.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint they jammed inane nonsense like gain 4 life into a mode on the u/w command.

I get that gain life is a good rider on some cards but none of the other modes seem strong enough to really warrant a gain 4 life rider.

Jeskai/Ojutai stuff in Tarkir hasn't lacked for lifegain, though, so it sort of makes sense there. And lifegain is way more useful than pissant milling effects (as opposed to stuff like See the Unthinkable).

EDIT: Basically, lifegain or lifelink has shown up as a mechanic for the Jeskai/Ojutai, whereas dedicated offensive milling(?) hasn't really shown up for the Sultai/Silumgar.

EDIT2: Unless, of course, there are cards like that and I'm super wrong. :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ojutai's Command is great if only because it neutralizes Stoke and then replaces itself immediately in terms of card advantage, with either a creature or new card.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

^^Jeskai tokens is a very good deck with a few important weaknesses, anything that shores up those weaknesses could catapult it back into the realm of T1. Jeskai control was also once a very good deck and could be once again.

Guys I think in the wake of these ho-hum cards we are missing the real discussion which is how the return of Rebound totally makes Goblinslide and Scroll of the Masters the hottest tech in the magic multiverse

I unironically think Goblinslide is a good card that doesn't have the right support cards printed to make it work.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm what world is Goblinslide better than just casting a Hordeling Outburst

You seem to like doing this thing where me saying I like one card means I'm not allowed to use another good card. Hell, you can use both and get 4 Goblins for 4 mana.

I Love You! posted:

Goblinslide is a really bad Bitterblossom impersonator in an environment where they printed Hordeling Outburst.

That said, in the correct imaginary environment (a controlly one) along with rebound spells/lots of cantrips, I could see it potentially slotting into a very specific deck. However I don't think that environment is likely to ever congeal. (I'm going to be brewing with it super hard though because rebound is way too fun to ignore).

Lots of cheap cantrips was the idea, though Rebound's...return...has certainly helped that as well. It would basically function as a worse Lightning Rift that gives you creatures for board presence and makes Rabblemaster that much better.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

The card that makes rabblemaster much better already exists and it's called Stoke the Flames. Having extra goblins in play doesn't really change rabble at all. Either they have an answer for it and kill it, or they don't and die. Having it deal 2-3 extra points of damage isn't going to change things.

Again, why are you assuming you can't run Goblinslide and Stoke in that sort of deck?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

Because the other 52 slots are currently taken up with cards that do things. I like goblinslide. I'm going to brew with goblinslide and rebound. It is not a good card right now.

I don't think it's a good card right now, either, which was entirely the point.

quote:

It's not a personal attack when someone points out another card that does the same thing significantly better, it's just A Thing.

I never said it was a personal attack, but the phrasing here:

quote:

That is the unfortunate truth here and you shouldn't get too worked up about people brushing off a pet card that hasn't yet put up anything close to tournament results.

Pet card? I just said I thought it was good (but only in the right environment). Accusing people of things they never said and then brushing that off as not being a personal attack is kinda lacking in logical consistency, y'know? :v: My point was that you and KingofSprings both responded with "Why would you play that over X???" as though you could only choose one. All I did was call you out on it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

InterrupterJones posted:

Also, all this talk about not liking dragons makes me feel like more of a minority for wanting to build my dream commander deck around Scion of the Ur-Dragon. :kiddo:

That sounds rad as hell.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, it seems like it from what I'm seeing, but I'm not sure, I don't speak Spanish.

I know a tiny bit and I don't see any reference to 'your' graveyard; hell, 'su cementario' translates directly to "its graveyard" so I guess it means the opponent. :stare:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

To quote someone else on the MTG Site that Must Not Be Named - "Magic cards use the less formal "tu" for Spanish rules text for "you", and "su" for "his/her" to avoid this ambiguity." Thus, it should say

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in their graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The fact that this exists in the same block as stuff with Delve means it's not as good as it could be, but once the first two sets rotate Kolaghan basically punishes the poo poo out of you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You have to admit it is HILARIOUS how poorly this Elder Dragon's ability works in Elder Dragon Highlander.

I don't know, have you ever run into Marrow-Gnawer/Relentless Rat decks? :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Kolaghan-Prime costs less, gives you a team boost and plays well with other playable cards (e.g. Stormbreath/Pink Regent)

She also can avoid Sorcery-speed removal with Dash.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
e:fb but Narset is really cool.

I Love You! posted:

Check off one more box for my unbeatable Goblinslide/Scroll of the Masters powerhouse deck, we're in Rebound City folks

:lol: I didn't think you'd still be butthurt about me mentioning Goblinslide a whole day later, but here we are.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

you might think that guy was trolling you, but really, he was trolling angry grimace

There was an entire spat yesterday where he assured me he wasn't making a personal attack and then called me mad for people insulting a pet card that I already admitted wasn't great, so yeah.

I Love You! posted:

Considering I've posted multiple times that I'm actually going to have fun brewing with these dumb cards I wish you'd give it a rest.

I think Goblinslide is decent as a 1 or 2-of in a Jeskai Tokens deck running Narset.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

I know I read it, that guy you quoted was actually on your side

Not exactly, but this is the last time I'll reference it.

A friend of mine has pointed out that you can cast a spell with Narset's minus ability and then get it back with Soulfire Grandmaster's ability (assuming it survives). Master the Way? :devil:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

I don't think that works, if the spell has rebound, it doesn't go to the graveyard the first time around, so SGM's ability has no effect there, and on the rebound, it isn't being cast from your hand, so again SGM does nothing.

So it does; still gives you a ton of life with burn spells however.

I didn't see this mentioned on the Cast Through Time page, but if you have a modal spell with Rebound, can you choose different modes each time?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So the question is: is the midrange Skies deck pure R, R/B for OG Kolaghan, R/W for Wingmate Roc, or what?

I see Stormbreath, Thunderbreak, and some number of Ashcloud or Flamewake Phoenixes. That 1/3 dragon-cheapener might be worth it as well. Is Dragon Tempest worth it?
There's supposed to be a monocolored rare cycle and a monocolored uncommon cycle, right?

I see the Dragonlord-goblin as a good sideboard card against quick aggro decks; 3 Toughness for blocking early creatures and speeds up your tempo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Traditionally how playable have these sort of abilities been?

The Dragonspeaker reduction was a bit beefier.

E:i guess it's effectively a worse, more expensive conditional elvish mystic that can eat goblin tokens

Goblin Warchief was pretty effective back in the day (and still sees some play in Legacy Goblins); the issue is that Goblins are already generally cheap to begin with and Shaman also gave them Haste.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
gently caress it, reprint Force and immediately ban it in Modern. :devil:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gyshall posted:

Dragonlords Servant is at least the best goblin art printed in the past 5 years or so

New Goblin Sharpshooter?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

I dislike that art quite a bit

We can't be goon-friends any more. :colbert:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

So far 2 cards from this set that are shoe in's for Modern play.

I'd hesitate to say shoe-ins, but I like having sets where new cards actually make an impact in Eternal formats.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Sadly the kind of deck that wants this kind of creature wants to run 4, which makes the Legendary drawback hurt. I can see him replacing a few Firedrinker Satyrs in the boss sligh red deck though.

I'm probably going to take out my Firedrinkers and replace them with 2x Zurgo and 2x Lightning Berserker, as I don't really want 4x of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers growing up and don't refer to a Monk tribal deck as Funky Monks then I will fight you.

• Locked thread