Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Doug Beyer had some words on the usage of the Elder type on his Tumblr blog:

quote:

We chose to use the term “Elder” here for a few reasons:

• As you’ll see as preview season continues on, Dragons of Tarkir contains a lot (!) of dragons. It was crucial to emphasize the importance of these dragonlords — both in the setting, and compared to other dragons in the set. They’re dragons who have risen to become the heads of entire clans. They are revered as wise and awe-inspiring leaders. Their commands are seen almost as divine edicts, even by other dragons. Other than Ugin himself, these dragons are the quintessential elder beings of Tarkir.
  • Similar to the time of the Dominarian Elder Dragons, Tarkir now sees dragons battle one another for supremacy. Silumgar and the other dragon leaders are the most powerful members of massive broods of dragons (it’s thought that the mana of the terrain causes the tempests to spawn “families” of dragons with similar characteristics). Although they do not dwell on Dominaria, these five dragons are worthy of the same term. They are the movers and the shakers of a world full of, and led by, and reverent to, dragons. They are Tarkir’s Elder Dragons.
  • This is a time travel story, and the term “Elder” helps tell part of the ending of that story. Tarkir and these five dragonlords are, in fact, 1280 years older than we saw them last time — it helps point out the difference not only between one legendary Silumgar and the other, but between the middle of the story and its completion. In one word, “Elder” serves to enshrine the story of the way an entire world progressed from an earlier state.
Those were some of the motivations behind the term! So: Cool? Massive betrayal of a nostalgic term? Something in between? Curious to hear what you all think as it all rolls out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
People get excited at the weirdest poo poo. I try not to judge, by which I mean I try to judge them very quietly.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

some of the cards will be good, some of them bad

This is hosed up and not true.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I hope it's the updated, pushed-to-hell aeolipile we all desire and deserve.

It's just Jitte with Dragon Counters instead of charge counters.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Veyrall posted:

I'm just glad there are more people than just me who don't think dragons are cool.

You're not alone. And hell, you're not wrong either.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

C-Euro posted:

When you say Ugin, do you pronounce it like the liquor or like you would say "begin"? I just remembered that I heard someone use the former the other day but I've saying it like the latter ever since the name first appeared.

It's the same as the g in gif.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Narset is like the moral version of Domri Rade.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

RME posted:

this will go great in my mono red edh deck

I'm starting to suspect you don't actually have all these EDH decks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A creature like that is extra vulnerable to the traditional problems of mana creatures (drawing them at the wrong time, drawing them but not the things you need the mana for) and they typically aren't very good unless they've got some other draw to them, like one of those goblin lords.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not any more!

They're still 2/2s when they're face down.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's definitely Force of Will, and they're going to spoil it along with the Wasteland reprint which is also assuredly in this set.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I can't believe they're reprinting Yawgmoth's Will

*Silumgar's Will

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I really like this block's goblins in general for having a little more personality than your typical Goblin Jobnames.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't get over how there hasn't been a good Goblin printed in about 5 years

Rabblemaster's pretty good. I don't think it'd be good in Legacy Goblins, specifically, but nobody plays it anymore anyway so how would we know?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

On CFB today Reid Duke said he thinks the new Sidisi might be good enough for Modern.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Lancelot posted:

that would be cool. in what, junk?

Yeah he suggested it as a one-of in one of the G/B decks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

My hope for the next year of standard is that there's an actually competive deck for which I'll be able to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as the deck name on a GPT deck registration sheet.

I was hoping for more good instant-speed spells to put in a deck built around Soulfire Grand Master, such that we could have "Grand Master Flash"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Four forces and four everminds to pitch to them.

Oh well, whatever, Evermind.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Gideon isn't from Theros, though. Nissa is the only planeswalker of those in Origins whose home plane we know of (and will visit). At least according to Wizards.

I think what they meant is "we only know which plane Nissa is from" rather than "only Nissa is from a plane we've seen before". I'd expect at least a couple of them to be from already-existing planes.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Madmarker posted:

I just keep hoping that Gideon is secretly a descendant of Gerard somehow. That way he can meet Karn and voltron up with New Phyrexia to become Urza's True-Legacy.

.........or something. I just want one of them to be from Dominaria.

I wonder how much longer they can put off going back to Dominaria. They've got to do it eventually.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

hmm yes let me tell you my treatise on the nature of trolling in the wizard poker thread *puts pipe in mouth and blows out bubbles*

This post will go great in my EDH deck.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

qbert posted:

The Abzan player just made a huge misplay not casting Banishing Light on Polukranos and he knows it.

Edit: And then the G/W player doesn't play Whisperwood? What is this game.

Edit 2: G/W Devotion mirror in the finals. Welp.

It's not a Legacy Miracles mirror, but it'll do in a pinch.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

This is looking like it could be a quick 2-0.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's obviously an object lesson in how inefficient and pointless a feeling scorn is.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Serperoth posted:

It's late so I'm not functioning as well as I could, but it's twenty right? Since it's directional so to speak. Yeah, Hydroblast/Pyroblast, for the ten colour pairs.

Print them at mythic. :getin:

I wonder - if you did that, which one would be the best?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Draconic Tutor

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hello, old friend. It's good to see you again.

The last time I saw Duress was 7th Edition and I didn't realize how often they reprinted it during my break from MTG after 8th Edition up till JOU. But I have a lot of nostalgia for when Urza's Saga was new.

I try not to think about 7th Edition.

Duress is a perfect Magic card.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So you know the dailymtg article today about preregistration prizes for every 100 entrants to GP Las Vegas?

Guess who just won the timetwister? My first power :allears:

Nice.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Desecration Demon has a similar drawback to Juzam Djinn (your opponent can just throw their worst creature away rather than eat an attack), way better stats, and still didn't see a lot of play until Innistrad rotated out. You'd need a really specific environment for people to play Juzam Djinn and I don't think anyone'd be happy about it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Chamale posted:

I can't tell, is Zurgo more like a Rakdos Cackler or more like an Ironclaw Orcs?

One of his parents was an Ironclaw Orc. The other was Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Didn't you ever wonder why Tarkir orcs are white and kind of furry?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

cool burn spell

Are you enthused?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

You don't need a lot of fixing unless there's a lot of gold cards. I don't think we've even seen any multicolored commons, have we?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Applebees posted:

All the multicoloured cards have been spoiled, and there's only twenty-two in the set: seven mythic rares, ten rares, and five uncommons.

Edit: There is room for two more cards, but they wouldn't be part of a cycle.

That's actually fewer gold cards than were in Theros, as I recall.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

And you want to reconcile this with the cool person who talks to you about what color Homer Simpson would be or tells you neat playtest stories but the cognitive dissonance stacks up a little bit too high and so you end up making angry posts in the MTG thread about it as a way to release the pain.

The secret to resolving the dissonance is just to imagine everything Mark Rosewater says in Mark Rosewater's voice. Everything makes sense when you imagine a tiny, excitable clown saying it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's funny how taking the reverse angle of this problem two years ago (a mythic Planeswalker can't stand in as part of a cycle of legends) is what ultimately got us Emmara Tandris.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Who is Taigam

Taigam is a minor story character who, in the original timeline, defected from the Jeskai to the Sultai and became an advisor to Sidisi. In the new, evil timeline, where humanity is subject to the tyrannical rule of dragons, Taigam never defected and is now a martial arts master in the Ojutai clan. You can see him on the KTK card "Taigam's Scheming", and on the DTK card "Taigam's Strike".

More importantly, the fact that he doesn't get a creature card in the new set is a vector along which people can feel aggrieved and disappointed by the new set.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Weird, this sentence is the only time I've ever mentioned Taigam by name. Almost as if this is about them having monocolor legends with their clan's keywords for the other four but not this one, and not who the legend might've been.

I care entirely too much about this but could you at least be accurate about what it is?

No.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

For the record, the Jaces are Little Jace, Big Jace, Anime Jace, Michal C Hall Jace, and There's Another Jace?

How does Anime Little Jace complicate this?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

You didn't do anything wrong, so you shouldn't feel bad that he hosed up. It's fine to feel bad FOR him, though. I'd definitely be cringing inwardly there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Lancelot posted:

Out of curiosity, who did you make so angry that you have a Magic-related red custom title? What goon gets that angry about conversations about reprints of cardboard wizard poker cards?

People in this thread will get mad at every conceivable stimulus, so the things that make people maddest are just the things that come up with any regularity. My assumption is that JerryLee's sin was just talking about it more than once.

• Locked thread