Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mean ol' dragon don't like removal. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's a worse somberwald sage but with better stats and a second ability that only denies flavor text. Oh well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm so glad that the command that Narset can play is the one that is their choice of a worse Reviving Dose, a worse Absorb, or a worse Bone to Ash. The deck's hosed up enough as it is. It doesn't need more cool poo poo to flip for free.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon.

I had my Phyrexian Arena lapse'd last night and let me tell you it ruined my tempo forever as the thing I cast to draw cards ended up being drawn twice, and my turn 3 vanished into the abyss. I wept and wailed but it was no use; it was turn 4 and I was in exactly the same shape, except my opponent now had the mana to dissolve my next play or electrolyze my elf.

Memory Lapse is a turbo-fucker of tempo plays. it's, like, 4th place in terms of 2cmc counterspells, and that's only because the competition is a disgusting slideshow of reasons they never do that anymore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

When do we get to see Vial of Dragonfire? My money's still on "just as unplayable as Heartpiercer Bow".

I hope it's the updated, pushed-to-hell aeolipile we all desire and deserve.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cernunnos posted:

MegaMorph still makes a facedown 2/2. They just get a +1/+1 counter when they flip.

The creature is supposed to be a :ssh: secret :ssh: and if MegaMorph made them 3/3s there wouldn't be much secret there.

Also a face-down card is a 2/2 regardless of how it's turned face-down, why it's face-down, or anything. To make Megamorphs be 3/3 would be to fundamentally change how face-down cards work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Casaval posted:

I have a rules question for a deck i'm trying to make:

So if i have a battlefield thaumaturge and isochron scepter imprinted with Aurelia's fury, can I target my opponent and all this creatures and ping + lockdown them every turn?

You'll never make Aurelia's Fury work so give up now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Minority Deport posted:

Feast of Dragons - 4RR
Sorcery
Sacrifice all creatures you control. For each creature sacrificed this way, put a 4/4 Dragon token with flying on to the battlefield.
OR
Destroy any number of target creatures, for each creature destroyed this way, its controller puts a 4/4 red dragon creature token into play.

Not sure which is right.

This will go great in RME's dragon EDH deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't Merfolk both a Modern and a Legacy deck?

I'd say they did fine. Once.

Maybe twice, do we count Goblins?

Tribal, the card type.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't see how tribal is difficult to understand. What was the issue?

I mean ok I'm sure somewhere some idiot was trying to find the power and toughness on the card then starved to death, and Maro will never forgive himself for the horrors he unleashed but seriously, where is the fault?

I suppose it's that Tribal cards require other Tribal cards in order to be worth it. Both in the "we're bringing back this kind of obscure supertype" sense and in the sense that there have to be multiple ways to care about a creature type besides caring about creatures, which is really weird to do.

It also doesn't make flavor sense sometimes: Diplomacy of the Wastes causes 2 damage if Obsidian Battle-Axe is on the battlefield, even though there's no one to wield it, as though the mere association of the axe with the profession is enough to chop someone. Diviner's Wand can be tapped to Azami or Patron Wizard. Clickslither can eat the abstract concept of Boggarts engaging in shenanigans.

If they do, it's not something they can slap on two or three cards without it not making a whole lot of sense.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unless I'm tapping out to play something big or it will absolutely lose me the game as a result, I'll personally generally be pretty happy that you've pitched two cards to counter my one.
So Force and Daze wouldn't big deals, right? It's not like Tasigur and Rabblemaster are fans of free counterspells.

Have you ever been Dazed?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What's with dtk and people faking free counterspells?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wurzag posted:

Welp there goes hoping the u/b command would be good

Sorry your card only does four good things instead of sucking you off as well. It ain't nutzo but it's still a useful tool for a lot of situations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the problem with the dragonlords is the best use for those spots is to be big dumb edh cards but they aren't even really interesting to be your commander. like with silumgar, i like sower of temptation, but i've never said "gee, i wish sower could be my commander"

If you don't see the value in a giant uncounterable Grand Abolisher with two keywords I think you just lack imagination.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

He's a fine EDH card but a bad commander, like what's the point of him as your commander unless you specifically are trying to dick over the guy who brings Talrand every week, he's not an interesting buildaround. I mean Idk it's not like every legend has to be a cool commander but I feel like the dragonlords specifically should be cool commanders? Maybe I'm just weird

I'm talking about French duel commander which is an actual cool format and which is very, very, very blue. At least half of a top 8 is instantly assured to be some combination of Tasigurs, Nins, Jenaras, Narsets, and Wydwens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Epic Confrontation's flavor text. :allears:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hmm the guaranteed card and ramp or the 50/50 draw

Hmm

HMM

They work in entirely different decks. Doublewrath or doubledig is a lot more brutal than a 4/4 flyer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

So if you play 2 lilianas, does that mean one of them dies and flips the other?

Yeah I imagine seeing oneself die from a paradox would be shocking enough to ignite one's spark.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Have they said that the planeswalkers are the only DFCs in the set, or coudl there still be other DFCs at lower rarity that do different non-planeswalker-related stuff?

Print a common DFC tribal flip morph planeswalker with suspend.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EatinCake posted:

So because the DFC planeswalkers start as Legendary Creatures, they can be used for EDH, right? Count me aboard the hype train.

Jaceman will flip into the command zone as it won't be as good as mind sculptor.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RME posted:

This will go great in my Sarkhan Lore EDH deck

I suppose it'd have to play double duty with your Baby EDH deck as Zurgo Helmsmasher is an important figure in Sarkhan Lore™ and the deck would thus have to be 5 colors.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zero_Grade posted:

Interesting that that only adds 3 blocks onto MM1 (Alara, Zendikar, Scars). There's a fair amount of reprint-worthy stuff in there though, plus maybe core sets if they want to add Titans. Eldrazi, praetors, fetches, Goblin Guide, Batterskull, Swords, Phyrexian mana stuff, whatever was in Alara... Wonder what the draft archetypes will be.

(one fantastic draft format, one awful draft format, and one mixed one)

Just two, actually. Alara was in MM1. It had Maelstrom Pulse and Knight of the Reliquary, among other things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Has there ever been a 3 color Walker that had a big impact on standard?

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker had the misfortune of being printed after Cruel Ultimatum, then being printed right before Detention Sphere/Sphinx's Rev/Supreme Verdict made WUx the default for control.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

:thejoke: was made for this thread apparently

We get so many legit bad opinions from bad players who like bad cards that it's impossible to tell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bugsy posted:

It hits a t3 Ashiok while the g/x player is on the draw, its going to see play.

It also hits evil garruk, jeskai ascendancy, new Narset, new Sarkahn, and Sad Sorin. It's a fairly broad spell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alris posted:

Speaking of, has anyone worked out what the point of Crucible of the Spirit Dragon is? Besides teaching people a valuable lesson about opening packs, of course.

Looks neat, doesn't it? Tribal storage land, that looks neat, yep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

It's garbage.

For all the utility lands I've played "recur a mythic rare piece of poo poo" is pretty neat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Ehh, they also want to play as many Radiant Fountain's as possible and that is much better than this.

Do you think Buried Ruin sucks too? I'd use either to recur steel hellkites.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro says they do not reuse art in block sets.

...but apparently this doesn't apply to land because I looked it up.

There were 5 basic arts for RTR. 4 new and a reprint of Wright's cycle from RAV.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Neither did Domri and it was still great and this in better colors and impossible to kill.

Domri sees some Modern play, actually.

Though getting back to the ostensible subject at hand, no I don't think Narset will cause decks with 30+ instants and sorceries to see play in Modern, and since that's her favorite kind of deck I don't think she'll get used so much Hero's Downfall becomes enough of an eternal format staple to break its current price.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

There will be decks with 26 non creature spells, 4 snapcaster's and 4 narset's in modern. There is a reason she's selling for 50 bucks. A lot of people think she's good in multiple formats.

You're a lot more optimistic about this card's usage than I, and that's... kind of weird.

I still don't think this one archetype will cause Hero's Downfall's current price to be the lowest it'll ever be, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

This post pretty much says that you have to show them even if you don't draw.

quote:

+1: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a noncreature, nonland card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.

What's the month after April?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Can you spellskite that?

No. Spellskite isn't blue or white. It can't be a target.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a semantic discussion borne of feigning ignorance over something that's easy to understand with more than 5 seconds of thought. He's also saying "Card is $50, therefore it is good," apparently seriously.

That's being bad at card games and not understanding historical trends w/r/t planeswalker prices (Nissa WW is extremely unusual for pw prices hth).

Then there's rules illiteracy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

Instant speed red tutor, huh? Sign me up for Stormbreath #5.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

You loving idiots need to stop vomiting your turdposts for a couple of days. It's getting old. This thing is literally more vulnerable than virtually every other creature in standard. The only maindeck removal it dodges is Chained to the Rocks and it also dies to Reclamation Sage which is the loving ~MAINDECK ENCHANTMENT REMOVAL~ you keep pretending doesn't exist. Christ you cunts make MtGS look loving smart.

So our magic opinions are as good as your women opinions. Gotcha.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What's the usual distribution of rarities in a set? I know mythic rares are 15 for a large set and 10 for small, but do the rest follow a pattern like that? How many commons to uncommons, that stuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

I have to admit i tried reading that as far as

How far did everyone else get?

quote:

It could just be a cheap interrupt

This man has not seen Magic in over 15 years.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
He talks about sets and blocks like the last thing he played was Antiquities and he sort of glimpsed at Tempest.

He has literally no idea how Magic works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"The most important magic skill is computing the number of standard-legal 1/1s, Magic sucks because new sets are released ever"

I don't understand

Wait, 1 damage interrupts? There's never been an interrupt that dealt damage!

• Locked thread