Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That Shaman might be funny in my Omnath TL deck but I can't see myself wanting it otherwise. Can't wait to see the rest of this commands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When you say Ugin, do you pronounce it like the liquor or like you would say "begin"? I just remembered that I heard someone use the former the other day but I've saying it like the latter ever since the name first appeared.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

Scroll Rack reprint? :v:

I got really excited because I thought she had impaled a candle on the end of her spear-hook as an improvised torch, but it looks like it's just generic-rear end magic :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

First Bass posted:

Finally won a Modern tournament, even if the turnout was only 18 peeps. Beat out over R/G aggro, Burn, Ad Nauseam and Junk in that order as Merfolk :feelsgood:

Mainboarding Spreading Seas is great because it can really screw people out of that second/third color, and it means you'll almost always be able to swing unchallenged (RG couldn't play any red and missed GG costs left and right, while the Junk player Decay'd a Seas only to see another one the next turn. In spite of their getting out a Phyrexian Unlife, I didn't even realize I was playing Ad Nauseam until they combo'd out the second game. The only feeling better than Spell Piercing a Lotus Bloom when your opponent didn't realize it could be countered is Remanding it :getin:

Isn't the point of Merfolk to cast Spreading Seas on an opponent so that all your Merfolk can't be blocked? Even so I'm down with Modern tribal, my first Modern deck was a Goblins deck that I still have and I spent an afternoon last weekend thinking up a Sliver deck for Modern that kind of gave me Merfolk vibes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Get the gently caress in my Sisay EDH deck. Would I be crazy to replace Dosan with this since he eats a counter half the time anyway?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 5, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I would love to see another attempt at a green villain in a block, by twisting the concept of "survival of the fittest" into trying to establish a meritocracy. They probably could have pulled that off with the Lorwyn elves but they were mechanically committed to giving each tribe at least two colors so they had to add black on to their identity (which worked regardless)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Symphonie posted:

In the Nissa Worldwaker story, I believe they mentioned that two of the Eldrazi had taken off from Zendikar, but one was still chilling around.

Yeah it was an Arcana from last summer. Ulamog is still on Zendikar but Kozilek and Emrakul have departed for whatever reason.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Random question- did we get renders for the MM2015 Tarmgoyf and Karn, or did they just say "Goyf and Karn in the next MM, peace"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Late, but I really want to run Ghost Anafenza in the bad Modern Soldiers deck I want to build.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

Oh hey it isn't garbage. Color me surprised.

Eh, that's alright I guess. That last ability is a pretty cool flavor & mechanics hit, and I'm glad they got to put that art on a card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Non-spoiler question: Does Hero's Downfall see any play outside of Standard? I want a playset for a cheap mono-black control deck I'm building for Modern, but I don't know if they're more likely to go up or go down after Theros rotates.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So what I'm hearing is that I should splash green in that deck for Abrupt Decay :v: Thanks for the Downfall opinions, I'll hold off for now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Four Score posted:

The game before that, my opponent Bolted one Phantasmal Image, Remanded his Bolt, and Bolt the other Phantasmal Image (turning 12 unblockable damage into 2 chump damage).

How does it work, I thought that you technically didn't pick a target for a spell until it resolved?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
^^ Looks sexy, I was just doing a bit of research on black card draw for a MBC list I want to try in Modern.

Rinkles posted:

When was the last red ritual printed? Is Wotc still okay w/ them?

Not for a while (unless I'm blanking on one), and probably not okay enough to print new ones. I think Wizards is doing its best to shy away from anything that produces more mana than it costs (pretending that lands cost 1), since those cards always find their way into combo decks to make them faster than Wizards likes. My theory, at least.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 12, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

Instant and "until the end of your next turn" make this awesome. Red's moving on up in the card draw world.

Yeah, I didn't see the "your next turn" part at first. I want some.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If any of you listen to NPR's Planet Money podcast, their most recent episode is about Magic. Fairly interesting stuff but I don't think it's anything we haven't bickered to death about in this thread. No mention of the Reserve List but the host does talk about something called "the Ugin".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"Target player sacs an enchantment" seems like a weird way to template that, am I missing something? Are there indestructible enchantments besides the Theros gods?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The past few sets haven't had that much in the way of eternal playables I guess? And I guess Khans was opened so much that even the super chase lands are now at a reasonable cost.

Question for the floor- what's an "acceptable" number of eternal playables for a new block? For formats where things aren't rotating out, is there a certain number of new cards that need to be relevant in order to shake things up, or is that you need one or two cards that really make an impact? If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, which is better?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also he used "you're" and "your" in the same meaning in the same sentence and now I want to kill him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Every time someone on here talks about Merfolk I want to build it, but I'm sworn to my one true tribal love of Goblins and don't play enough Modern to justify buying into the deck. I'm already trying to pick up a Cavern of Souls playset for Legacy so maybe after I get those?

Also I had a fever dream at work the other day and came up with this Modern Slivers deck which is kind of like Merfolk I think? A more narrow-minded Merfolk that can also pretend to be Infect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Fish wins Modern Bob-a-thon, splits with Twin for $150 store cred!

Merfolk is so good never doubt the power of the blue men with big muscles and bad attitude. :getin:

What's your list (so I can copy it one day when I have more time/money to sink into this game)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Krigen posted:

Is it worth finishing off my playsets of the Onslaught/Khan's fetchlands now or holding off until later? I figure they're only going to get more expensive now that Khan's isn't going to be opened anymore and I only have to buy a few of each to get full playsets. They're only going to go up again in price from this point on right?

They're staples in Modern and Legacy (and Vintage?), if you want playsets for the future definitely finish them now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What language was that Kavu in? Latin?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Talked a friend into driving over from out-of-town for some Two-Headed Giant, I took the Dromoka box and he went Silumgar. Luckily he pulls a Frontier Siege and a ghost-Anafenza so I'm able to build a pretty good GW bolster deck-

9 Forest
8 Plains
2 Servant of the Scale
1 Dragon Hunter
1 Guardian Shield-Bearer
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Lightwalker
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
1 Echoes of the Kin Tree
1 Sandblast
1 Sandcrafter Mage
1 Inspiring Call
1 Return to the Earth
1 Champion of Arashin
1 Frontier Siege
2 Aerie Bowmasters
1 Scale Blessing
2 Stampeding Elk Herd
1 Dromoka's Gift
1 Sunscorch Regent (seeded promo)
1 Pinion Feast
1 Enduring Victory

(my partner stuck with UB, he ran 9 creatures which is probably too low but he had some good support with Negates, Butcher's Glee and others, also the enchantment that lets you make a 2/2 flier when you cast a non-creature spell did a lot of work)

Round 1 vs UB/UW: They have us on the back foot for a while with some white dudes and good control tricks, getting up 32-1 on us at one point. Then one of them drops Deathreap Regent (the black Wrath dragon), then next turn I'm able to play Dragonslayer face-down and flip it up on the same trun, and I follow up with Sunscorch Regent. They can't find the last bit of gas to kill us and I get Sunscorch to a 16/15 thanks to Frontier Siege and Echoes of the Kin-Tree (and their scramblings for an answer) and kill them in two swings :iia: W

Round 2 vs RB/UB: Again they get the early drop on us until I'm able to stabilize with Anafenza, Sunscorch, and a couple other dudes. We're coming back from 35-3 until I have a horrifyingly bad near-punt: I swing with everything to get them within killing range (when I didn't need everything), and they swing back on their turn. I don't realize my partner has a blocker so I start to tick our life down since I'm focused on killing them next turn, then they cast a Butcher's Glee which would kill us. I pump the brakes and point out that we never got to declare blockers, to which they respond that I was already moving my life down which is us saying we're not going to block. We call a judge over who says that for 2HG, the player on the left is technically the one who's supposed to make all the calls pertaining to changes in phase or life total, so because my partner wasn't the one fiddling with our life it's his call. He blocks and we win next turn. I felt bad but the other team spent the whole game bitching every time we played a good card, so I didn't feel that bad. Remember folks, always make sure the slower, more thoughtful player is on the left! W

Round 3 vs R/UB: They drop a turn 2 Impact Tremors (1 damage to each opponent whenever a creature hits play on your side) and run us out of the building with Dash guys, including the one that reduces Dash costs :shepface: The Tremors guy was the judge that decided our game last time so I chalk it up to karma. They were at the championship table by the end but I don't know if they won. L

Round 4 vs RB/RG: They get a somewhat quick start until RB starts to flood and RG gets stuck on three lands, giving us time to stabilize. We trade for a little while until I get a few guys with counters into play, and then am able to start punching through with Stampeding Elk Herd. At the end of turn 3 the girl playing RB said "don't worry, we'll use lube" which is a hosed-up thing to hear from a 19-year old woman at a pre-release so this is one I was happy to win. W

I wasn't sure how much I liked the deck when I first put it together but Bolster is awesome. My fear going into it was that I would get a guy with a bunch of counters and then have it removed; I don't know if this is just a removal-light format or if no one was running much but I think I only lost a Bolster'd guy to removal twice the entire time, the rest of it was in combat and often when trading for a creature that had higher printed P/T. Conversely I was probably a little too removal-heavy, and once or twice I had to use a removal spell with a Bolster rider when I didn't have creatures to Bolster which was a bummer. Lastly, if you're playing Bolster in Limited then don't sleep on Formidable. Every time I dropped an Elk Herd I was able to swing for trample next turn, as I would have a guy in play that was already buffed by counters.

Pack pulls were decent- my friend traded me for his Siege and Anafenza that I used, and I also had a Flamewake Phoenix and Thunderbreak Regent in my pool. Prizes held a Stratus Dancer and a Dromoka's Command which might go great in my Sisay EDH deck, I'll see :P Fun day overall and probably the best I've ever done in a prerelease, at least since they started doing Sealed for them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

Has anyone played a good amount of Tiny Leaders yet? I'm tossing together a budget deck (Pianna Mono White Tokens) just to have one and since I haven't actually played I'm worried that the deck has very few things to do on turns 1-2. Are a lot of the decks in the format super fast? I managed to whittle the list down to 50 cards and basically ended up with 18 3s and 14 total 1s and 2s.

Maybe since it's so "top heavy" I should find a further cut or two and go up to 19-20 lands.

I've only played one game (my Omnath vs his Daxos) but I don't know about fast, since it's still a singleton format and you can't guarantee drawing your best card(s) right away. That game took us a good 20-30 minutes and we were both ostensibly aggro decks :shrug: Maybe post your list and we can see how to speed it up? 20 lands seems high, in tinkering with my own lists I haven't wanted to go above 18 lands but I have been able to keep my mana curve less top-heavy than yours.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

Prerelease brag incoming
Traded Azusa Lost But Seeking, 2 Amulet of Vigor, 4 Hordeling Outburst, 2 KTK tri-lands for entry into two sealed pods.

First pod I open promo Atarka, Sarkhan, play straight RG, 3-1 with Hard'serker letting me cast Atarka for the win round 4, game 3.
Opened a Narset from the first prize pack. Traded Narset for 25 store credit, traded 25 store credit to player for Ugin and 2 Warden of the First Tree.
Traded Sarkhan, promo Atarka and Ashcloud Phoenix for Ensnaring Bridge, Vindicate, 2 Kolaghan's Command, Draconic Roar.
Second pool I lose handily and drop at 1-2. Oh, in my second pool, one of the DTK packs contains Silumgar, foil Dromoka, the latter of which I'm still working on trading.

Never doing another 10+ hour event again though unless there's money in it, and even then I'm gonna need a small team to keep me fed, watered and boozed up. poo poo was exhausting, but lordy, the value.

So Azusa/2 Amulets/4 Outburst/2 tri-lands -> Ugin/2 Warden/Bridge/Vindicate/2 Commands/Roar/Silumgar/foil Dromoka? That's some fine wheeling and dealing but the most surprising part of that story is how expensive Amulet Combo pieces have gotten. $40 Azusa :stare: Wonder if that spiked too late for Wizards to put it into MM2015?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wezlar posted:

You didn't block my manifest? Oh ok you're dead.

Honestly if they can get their Commander into their library, get it to the top, Manifest it, Voltron it up and swing for the kill without you messing up their plan in some way, then you deserve it :colbert: What would an EDH deck built around Manifest even look like?

E: I guess they could use Brainstorm or Top but if their Commander goes to their hand and they don't re-cast it then you should be on the lookout for tricks anyway.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 24, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

vOv posted:

Just ban all cards that let you search your library. Problem solved.

Wrong, my Sisay deck is built around tutoring but is not degenerate until I'm swinging with Heroes' Podium and green Kamahl thank you very much :colbert:

rabidsquid posted:

It's no Visions of Beyond.

This guy knows what's up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

Someone is selling a Mono-U Tron deck, asking for 300 euros for it. List is as follows:

1 Platinum Angel
3 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sundering Titan
2 Treasure Mage
1 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Condescend
1 Cyclonic Rift
4 Expedition Map
2 Mindslaver
1 Oblivion Stone
4 Remand
4 Repeal
1 Spell Burst
3 Talisman of Dominance
4 Thirst for Knowledge

1 Academy Ruins
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
8 Island
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Tolaria West
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower

And the SB:

2 Aetherize
3 Dismember
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Spell Pierse
4 Squelch
1 Wurmcoil Engine

I see no Karns in there, and I have an Ugin of my own, but I don't know if it's good value. The Islands are full-art ones (from what he said), and the Wurmcoils include their tokens, I presume from the Commander deck. Any goon opinion? (If it's long let me know and I'll fix it)

Semi-beaten, but that's a pretty high price. I have nearly the same list and Deckbox values it at $273, but I also have 2 Chalice, 1 Spellskite and 1 Hurkyl's Recall in my board, which is $70. Competitively the list looks fine, I would have 2 Wurmcoils main-board and 4 Squelch seems high unless you have a lot of Twin around you, and even then Trickbind is better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Recess Rapist posted:

What do people think some limited archetypes will be? Or are we just sticking to brood colors?

I think GW Bolster could be a competitive thing in Limited, I ran that at a pre-release event (granted it was 2HG) and I did better than I've done at any Limited event. I hardly saw any removal all day despite playing against black or blue in every round, which meant I was able to both get & keep counters on guys and they'd usually trade with or take down creatures with higher printed P/T. Also I was able to win a game where we were down 32-1 thanks to me making a 16/15 Sunscorch Regent with Frontier Siege and Echoes of the Kin Tree :kheldragar:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wonder what the statistics are on cards that go up from their pre-order price vs ones that go down, or if there's certain price ranges that are more likely to go up (i.e. cards that pre-order at $8-$10 go up 60% of the time or whatever). I feel like cards don't live up to their pre-release price hype most of the time but there has to be a sweet spot of "this card looks cool but no one knows, so it's $4 now. Oh wait it actually owns, now it's $10"

Boco_T posted:

They're doing a Modern Rotisserie Draft with a bunch of famous players and you can follow along on Google Docs, it's a slow draft.

To get you hyped, Marshall Sutcliffe took first pick Batterskull and just now Rashad Miller took FIRST PICK GLIMPSE THE UNTHINKABLE~!

https://t.co/mVjSB86GCt

gently caress yeah Glimpse. What's the card list they can select from, or is it just all Modern-legal cards?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 26, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Scholtz posted:

Never built a B/G deck before. Pretty important question for you guys:

What color sleeve would they look best in? Already have a R/B Modern in Purple. I was thinking brown, maybe orange...

Thoughts?

I would say gray or purple but if you already have a deck in purple sleeves then go gray. Full-on Slytherin action.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I see Magic art has come full circle and gone back to way too close faces

Considering that you can't see her face at all on the regular art, my guess is that they just wanted to make up for it :v: That's dope though, I would love to see one in person.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

That actually sounds pretty interesting to be honest, as an exercise, similar to that three-card Magic thing.

A couple summers ago my LGS did a $1 buy-in tourney where you had to play with a randomly assigned 30-card intro deck. It was a lot more fun than you'd expect, I got to ice one of our L1s with a 10-damage Corrupt :buddy:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think a more interesting concept would be "here's my collection, build me a deck from this" but unless you already have everything you own recorded on something like Deckbox I could see that being a huge pain in the rear end to catalog.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I would be totally cool with "here's all the rares & uncommons I have, let's make something" and then set a limit on how many external cards to bring in, like 85% of the deck (not counting basic lands) has to be stuff you already own, or you can only spend $50 on extra cards for the deck. I think it'd be much more interesting to see what we can make from a random collection rather than "lol let's make him buy a playset of Jaces"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What would you even give an Eldrazi as a bribe?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is this the same series that had the strip about people wanting to hug Serra Angel but not Lotus Cobra? That one got a chuckle out of me when I first saw it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Devor posted:

I dunno maybe if you just randomly jam 3 or 4 of the relevant words into google you can find it you lazy fucker

Woah dude, I'm on my phone and just wondering. Sounds like you need a visit from anime girl Frost Titan :colbert: (I hope that doesn't actually exist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Limit yourself to cards from FRF/DTK and play out the Tarkir Dragon Wars :black101:

• Locked thread