Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Disappointed that it's not spells in general as a gently caress-you to flashback and Snapcaster Mage in particular. Mostly because that would mean Snapcaster Mage would be/could be reprinted in Magic Origins.

It's another hilariously stringent punisher mechanic which is going to be irrelevant 99% of the time on a large but not particularly defensible body. Still better than Ob Nixilis, still not going to see constructed play (sadly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I really hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell at uncommon or that G/W dude is going to be almost literally impossible to beat in limited.

I also hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell in white so that Stormbreath Dragon remains the most playable Dragon in Standard from now until rotation. :smaug:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Re: "what is megamorph?"

Dragons like big things, so of course Morph in a Tarkir filled with dragons are going to be bigger. It's just common sense.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't do 'dragonmorph', where the unmorphed card gains Flying and is a Dragon in addition to its other types (as well as getting a +1/+1 counter). :getin:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Gideon Jura pre-spark

Looks like his home plane is Theros?

The pattern on his skirt-thing is red and white with an unusually familiar starburst shape.

Clearly this means Gideon's from Theros, a block where the red/white faction uses this logo extensively.

The stupidity of some people astounds me.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Well, now that there's Actual Evidencetm I'll happily admit I was wrong. Tis the season to be wrong about Magic.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Lorwyn block is a low point for the game so it isn't much of a surprise they want to just avoid it.

I find it astounding that one sentence can contain this much wrongness

it'll go great in my wrong sentence EDH deck

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's the classic clash between 'the audience needs to understand what's going on' and 'the characters need to have a language barrier for some reason / shouldn't speak English'. It's better to present everything in English because of the former, even if it makes the latter seem strange.

MST3K mantra, everyone.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

You'll change your tune when they release Return to Lorwyn and the new keyword is fishbrick.

I don't even care what fishbrick does, I just want it to exist.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I mean, being yelled at by a dragon surely counts as being under duress, right?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

MySwan posted:

I hope your all enjoying the Alara Reborn draft aka the watch jund win event

I drafted a pile of Esper cards, went 0-2 to Naya then Jund because I had literally zero removal (just a pile of Soul Manipulations), then got a bye. Fun Magic.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

White gets some pretty good removal of its own, though. Silkwrap is a conditional Journey to Nowhere, Pacifism is incredibly good vs big fat idiots (who dominate Sealed as a rule), and there's even that Divine Verdict that also bolsters. Plus there's the dragon-slayer megamorph and Radiant Purge as potential rares, along with the B/R hate card.

I've freed up my weekend, so I might try and make it to all five prereleases for this one. :getin:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

Khans->Fate->Dragons would probably be less dysfunctional of a non-intended limited format than most if you wanted to gently caress around with that at some point though.

That and triple Dragons both seem like great unofficial formats.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Back from the pre-release here in Australia. Did the Midnight into the 5.30 am one.

My midnight pool was an Atarka pack which contained a Citadel Siege, Anafenza, a whole pile of good white cards and some great red. I ended up building RWu splashing Pristine Skywise off an Evolving Wilds + Tranquil Cove. I then proceeded to win every game I drew Citadel Siege in and lose most of my others, going even overall. Turns out Dragonlord Dromoka is fundamentally unbeatable without a spell that just straight up kills it with no conditions - none of this "destroy target attacking or blocking creature" nonsense, and it gains too much life to race on any reasonable board state.

My 5.30 am pool was Dromoka with my only on-colour rare being the promo Command. I basically had a pile of incredibly good commons and uncommons and got matched up against decks that couldn't handle good efficient morph-based curves. The Aerie Bowmasters are even better than they look, and they look amazing. The 0/0 for G with a +1/+1 counter on it is remarkably playable, as is the common Megamorph that gives another creature a +1/+1 counter. Dromoka's Command really carried they day on multiple occasions, though. It's such an efficiently positioned and designed card.

If Draft is anything like the experiences I was having with my second pool (which it probably won't be), Dragons is going to be incredible in spite of its bomb-heavy appearance. If it's like my first one it's going to be a less-poo poo Avacyn (although significantly less poo poo at least).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

By the way, the new Anafenza is "Anafenza the Cute-ghost" not "Ghost Waifu", you plebs. :colbert:

e: Also if you aren't megamorphing the Gudul Lurker you are Doing It Wrong

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Mef989 posted:

A bit of a dumb question maybe, but I'm really curious, has cancel ever seen conducted play? I started playing right after BNG was released, so dissolve has always been around, but what happens when return to Zendikar drops and it rotates? If a no other unconditional counters are available, will it see play or will control just switch to running more of the specific 2 cmc spells like disdainful stroke?

Good question! The only recent results I found were block constructed decks, which isn't a real format any more. I would hazard a guess that the last time it saw play was the Teachings Control decks back in RAV-TSP / TSP-LRW, as they hadn't printed a better version of it yet, and it was the best unconditional counter in the format.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I can't wait until Friday to buy a whole bunch of Dragons cards and never open a booster of it except for FNM prizes. Especially since all the stuff I want is going to be expensive :suicide:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Sotar posted:

What is expensive besides Narset, Sarkhan and Deathmist Raptor?

I mean, if I can find 3 Dromoka's Commands before every deck in SCG;s top 8 this weekend has a playset (yes even the UB control decks), it'll be affordable, but if I can't they're going to be :10bux: each. That's my primary concern.

Also Sarkhan and Thunderbreak Regent. The latter will be kept in check by being in the event deck somewhat but I still peg it as a $8 card I'll need 4 of. :(

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The only moral anime is my anime

featuring Anafenza the Cuteghost as Casper, and me as the nerd who everyone hates

someone else can be the main character i guess

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hopping Ghost posted:

Okay, I'll be that guy. Someone's going to have to explain to me how Anafenza 2 looks any more "anime" than pretty much any other card except Stasis.

Actually Stasis could probably be a Madoka witch, Stasis most anime card

she's my waifu therefore she is anime, qed

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

To be honest, I didn't expect Peek to be a real card in Modern. The effect has never quite seemed worth a card slot in serious constructed if you couldn't cast it for zero mana. I guess I was wrong though!

Of course, I'm probably as bad as mcmagic in many regards.

When your deck both leaves your opponent paralysed in fear of instantly losing and operates 99% at instant speed one mana starts to look more appealing than 2 life.

You don't especially want to Probe into Scapeshift (sad trumpet noises) or Burn (record needle scratch).

Ultimately it's because all the good cantrips are banned, as they should be.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

My Temur Dragons list is fairly comparable, I just jammed Rattleclaw Mystics and Sagu Maulers in to replace Caryatid + Courser. I'm hoping to Live the Dream of turn 3 Sagu Mauler on a semi-regular basis.

actually my list is just a bad version of that because i cbf to get all the cards for it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure Origins will include a Mythic Rare Dragon for 5 that is absolutely busted in some way and literally better than any dragon in the set about Dragons. Again.

MaRo will mandate a reprint of Thundermaw Hellkite in order to counter The Card That Is Killing Magic, Hornet Queen

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I feel like Narsets problem is they tried to make her playable by giving her a high loyalty in a standard with a planeswalker killer that doesn't care about loyalty and it's everywhere. I think she has potential at rotation.

After rotation U/B control gets to replace Downfall with Silumgar's Command, which while usually much worse is still a planeswalker killer that doesn't give a poo poo about her loyalty. Utter End means that Abzan will also continue to not care about her having 7 'toughness'. She's going to be just as good against decks that deal damage as she is now, and just as bad against decks with non-damage removal as she is now.

Not to mention both Duress and Despise, the 'replacements' for Thoughtseize, both hit her.

Other predictions:

- Brutal Hordechief will never be good in Standard because I have a playset of them and therefore they can't become worth anything
- Allied painlands in Magic Origins???
- White will get yet another 2/1 for 1 with some dumb upside that doesn't have any impact on constructed formats
- Buyback or some buyback-like mechanic to return in Battle for Zendikar
- Temur will never be a tier 1 deck in this or the next Standard :(

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Decklists are public and Sullivan's version only has one Crux of Fate mainboard. He was more worried about Perilous Vault, which wouldn't have punished him there. He made a reasonable decision and was punished for it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I think Thomas should have +1'd Xenagos so he could deploy Nissa AND Polukranos that turn. It's extremely likely that Adrian couldn't have dealt with all three, but he might (MIGHT) deal with just two.

e: Also Genesis Hydra is disgusting versus Aetherspouts, lol

e: e: PLEASE DON'T PUNT THIS HENDRICKS THERE'S TOO MANY U/B CONTROL DECKS IN THE TOP 8 ALREADY

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 12, 2015

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Boon Satyr on Rattleclaw Mystic. The dream is alive. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

BIG

PLAYS

BIG

PUNTS

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Original Jace is 'party Jace' in my playgroup because he's partying whenever he +s. Most of the time he's 'sad Jace' for the -1.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The correct Modern deck to play is always Hatebears because you get to play Leonin Arbiter on turn 2 and just win sometimes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It was common in Lorwyn you dingus.

And it was one of the best cards in the set along with Avian Changeling, another common :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Alternatively, play Hatebears, which is both cool and good

(disclaimer: not actually good)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Metalcraft is super deep and potentially insanely strong. Very, VERY fast, but needs to dodge or remove tap effects. Blinding Souleater might be the best card in the format.

Spirits is so much better than every other archetype it's stupid. Jesus loving Christ. Waxmane Baku at common. Hikari at uncommon. Why.

G/W tokens is dumb because of Scion and multiple Eldrazi Spawn generators all being at common, as well as Scatter the Seeds.

Domain is godawful and loses to decks which do anything at all at any point. Dragonsoul knight and Worldheart Phoenix are both awful. The only good cards are Manta and Tribal Flames, which can't carry a deck.

#mm15protips

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Domain strikes me as the "well hmm I have all this fixing???" Deck. Sort of a deck you don't look for unless the stars and moons align properly.

The problem is that you can get a deck with Etched Monstrosity and multiple Tribal Flames / Worldheart Pheonixes / Dragonsoul Knights but those cards don't actually solve the problem of the deck not functioning. The actual core of the deck is non-Karoo based fixing, which at least in my deck I had next to none of; you need multiple Rampant Growths, Baubles, etc. plus the actual good domain / sunburst cards.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Unbanning Jitte would just make Siege Rhino.dec even stronger because it would take 3 combat steps to kill a Rhino with the Jitte, so the Siege Rhino.dec would play Jitte and kill the creatures the Jitte.dec is trying to equip it to

Unban Stoneforge and ban Batterskull imo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Anybody who takes 35 minutes to play 4 turns should be shot and hung in the streets as a warning to others

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Wizards generally prints a 2/1 for W with some sort of upside on a regular basis, so Elite Vanguard is mediocre compared to them. Soldier of the Pantheon is basically 'Elite Vanguard but better' in your deck, since none of your multicolored cards interact badly with protection (Boros Charm will still protect it, Legion's Initiative still works, etc). If you want to stay on Ravnica, you could also grab Dryad Militant, which is similarly Elite Vanguard with a sometimes relevant upside.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

What will replace the usual "W: protection from color" variant that they print in every set? Cheaper Indestructible options?

I saw an idea on Reddit just earlier that seems fine:

W
Instant
Target creature gains flying and indestructible until end of turn.

Bam. Grants evasion like protection, saves a creature from destruction like protection, but doesn't have silly interactions like Skullcrack / Anger vs. pro-red. It also doesn't save the creature from exiling, but it does save it from untargeted destruction effects. I really hope we get something like this card at some point, actually.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

fuckin' hell, Gideon. How can you simultaneously appear to be horrendously broken and still absolute garbage in Hatebears? :sigh:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

still didn't stop them from printing Spiteful Blow in Journey into Nyx, the best 'kill your own land' spell ever printed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I can tell right away I have <3 power, because I <3 him.

:master:

• Locked thread