Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

You know, this is actually one of the better ones because it's cheap and actually kind of does something.

Yeah. Probably won't pop up in limited unless you pull this and have a deck that's 40% dragons, but this looks pretty fantastic for a casual tribal deck and let's face it, 50% of casual decks are tribal decks.

Starving Autist posted:

Hell, I'm not sure the Silumgar have any live servants whatsoever. Seems the Sultai at least let the naga and many humans keep their lives, at least.

Even for an elder dragon that's ridiculously powerful, that seems highly unsustainable. They probably just pick up the dead from battle as a nice added bonuses to whatever fights they win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, if there is a cycle of these guys, are we looking at Multi-color Green decks feat. Whisperwood and Mastery of the Unseen being more of a thing?

Not without a lot of support for them, this guy is still pretty costly to kill a creature if the whole Whisperwood thing doesn't work out. The reason that card sees play is because it's just value out the wazoo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

And then you get the stuff nobody expects to be good but turns out is, like Kiora and Keranos.

I honestly thought Kiora had a lot of fantastic potential to begin with, a lot of people did. Keranos though, I don't think anyone could have predicted him showing up in multiple eternal formats.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

No way to protect herself, but 4 mana 6 loyalty and her abilities are pretty god drat good.

The way she defends herself is being beefy as hell. I am definitely trying out some sort of Jeskai Control with that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The decks that play her don't want creatures. Maybe Jeskai Sage or something like that but not much more.

BTW She's even better in modern where people don't play Hero's Downfall.

The creatures in a deck she's in are going to be goblin tokens.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Narsets fluff in RU reads like she's Azami but in a different setting.

Was Azami dealing with compulsive issues? This is a legitimate question, because Narset is ridiculously twitchy throughout the story.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

So it does; still gives you a ton of life with burn spells however.

I didn't see this mentioned on the Cast Through Time page, but if you have a modal spell with Rebound, can you choose different modes each time?

Yes, since you're recasting it, you choose again. Notably, copying a modal spell doesn't let you pick new modes since you're copying the already moded(?) spell.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

No Azami's actually just bizarrely chill about everything while setting up people to be murdered horribly. I guess the part that I drew parallels from was obsessive search for knowledge and enlightenment but Azami is a lot more stoic than Narset. I think it's cuz Narset is supposed to be a key figure while Azami's kind of just there.

Well, that and I think the story is supposed to be about her steadily moving past that bit of red coloring in her to proper enlightenment and that jazz. Azami's fully blue, which means she's more robot than person anyway.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I love how goofy the dragon poses are.

At least Ojutai and his clan can pose better for the camera. These guys are all stiff and like, "Do we really have to do this?"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Dude is holding a lightbulb and posing for instagram.

the force of will looked more believable.

Yeah, there's nothing Brittle about that card. If there was at least smug flavor text about how easy spells were to break, then sure.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

How would it break every format ever dude

gently caress playing on curve ever again basically.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I want this to make blue devotion a thing, but I know better.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Glad to see even when Temur has lost its blue, it's still punching the crap out of the wildlife.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Holy hell, and I thought Angry Grimace had wrong opinions. Dual Face cards own bones, and these are certainly neat. I wonder if they will be strong enough to impact standard in a meaningful way.

Liliana so far plays magically well with exploit and delve, so there's that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That Liliana seems just bad.

She does the attrition thing ridiculously well considering she makes both players discard, can reap more card advantage via her -X at various points, fuels delve, is powered by exploit and similar such cards, etc.

I think she's pretty nifty myself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Even if you didn't have to flip her (which requires you to do something) to turn her into a walker, she still wouldn't be all that powerful.

You say that like killing things doesn't naturally happen in a game anyway. And no, she's not game breakingly good, she's just well suited for the color she's in at the moment which can make use of all of her abilities quite well and in a variety of ways. She's ridiculously well designed in how many different ways you can approach using her.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Has there ever been a 3 color Walker that had a big impact on standard?

LordSaturn posted:

No, but the last one cost eight mana.

The ONLY one cost eight mana.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

EatinCake posted:

Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

Nah, but at least we don't have cookie cutter bearded old wizards that are wise and possibly crazy.

Also, Gideon is the best thing ever to come out of Magic and I'll hear nothing else. Tamiyo being the second best thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I sincerely hope the New Zendikkkar block ends with a Portal opening up and Elesh Norn walking in going what's uuuuuuuuuuuup

(Note: I don't know how the phyrexians got around without planeswalking as an ability so I assume it was portals)

It was portals. New Phyrexians still have no idea how to make portals last we checked with them.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

lol he replied ot me calling him an emotionally and mentally broken human

<me>,

<employee> is going to be taken care of, we just hadn't had that discussion yet regarding his sponsorship. The issue was not him accepting cash from whomever; it was him accepting cash favors from my competitor (or a person closely associated with my competitor, even informally). It is a conflict of interest. <employee> is in the running to become my store manager and it is critical that he not put himself in a position where the trust he has earned from me, could be compromised by an appearance of impropriety. Him getting a favor from a disinterested third party would present no such concerns.

Wow. You should just do that employee a favor and get him out of there.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Jace, Chandra and Nissa are all hiding on the other side of the multiverse awkwardly trying to avoid eye contact with Sorin and Ugin.

To be fair, all Sorin does is show up at places and scowl at people making a mess. Ugin's just a dick and both have no concept of permanent solutions.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Applebees posted:

Rise of the Eldrazi was NWO. It was good, because it had interesting decisions and unique situations, which is separate from anything NWO was trying to do.

Yeah, the long of the short was that everything had one or two obvious functions, but when placed against the rest of the block, gained multiple more uses and implementations. That is the prime example of "Context is everything" because when I first saw a bunch of individual cards from Rise of the Eldrazi, I wasn't impressed.

Speaking of which:

Who wants to place money down for the second set being named "Fall of the Eldrazi"?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

They had a pretty good solution for containing the eldrazi until a buncha jerk kids went and ruined it, didn't they?

Well, it apparently wasn't that good of a solution then.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Okay... Gideon goes back to Zendikar because he is A Hero and wants to help
Jace goes back on a honeymoon/to protect Ravnica
Liliana goes to fight Ob Nixilis
Chandra goes back on a honeymoon/to steal things
Nissa goes back because that's been her goal

Surprise Garruk is posessed AGAIN and now he is a Colorless/Green Planeswalker who summons big monsters.

Real talk though, the way Garruk loves dinosaurs, gotta figure he'd love Eldrazi at least a little bit the same way Sarkhan loved Bolas.

Lack I checked player avatar planeswalker (and Jace, I guess) sealed away Garruk's power and curse, just kind of making him angry and frustrated more than anything. More importantly, Ob Nixis was unsealed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand what they were thinking when they put Sarkhan's Ultimate on there. Why not just make him turn into a 10/10 Flying, Indestructible, Hexproof dragon or some poo poo? Just seems weird to require a deck stacked with Dragons.

If you don't understand why it's there, you probably aren't the right player for the ultimate because it's dragons out the wazoo and all day long!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragonslayer?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arkanian posted:

So, this seems really really good. Two 3-drops at instant speed for four? I keep looking at it and it keeps saying that each time I read it. There's plenty of decks already that can just slot this in without changing anything else and count on getting at least a Courser or a Caryatid or something. I'd say it's definitely Standard Playable, and maybe Modern?

...I tend to be wrong a lot, though. As in, moreso than your average spoiler-week poster. What do you guys think?

The major catch is that you probably don't know what the top of your deck looks like so while it's a good card, you need to build around it to make it effective. Even then, there's a solid chance you might only pick up one dude from it or even none. It's a good card, but with the meta being about midrange and things generally slightly bigger than three drops, it might not have a chance to shine.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Did they announce that at PAX or somewhere else or are you just making an educated guess?

I think either one of the articles or Maro mentioned dragon mana rocks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mastery of the Unseen is doing a surprising amount of work on camera. It might be mostly due to the positioning since black and blue have no obvious enchantment removal, but it's been nothing but trouble for the Sultai Control deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There's a may clause, so you can just have both go to eleven billion and then stop it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Mardu Woe-Reaper into this followed by Arashin Foremost = swing for 8?

That's a hell of a land draw.

Also, on stream, Crackling Doom kicking Silumgar's rear end.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dragonlord's Prerogative 4UU

Instant

As an additional cost to cast ~, you may reveal a dragon card from your hand.

If you revealed a dragon card or control a dragon as you cast ~, ~'s can't be countered.

Draw four cards.

SPOILERS~

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

That's a land on each of the first three turns, a rarity? :v:

Nah, that was my bad. I thought you wanted to follow a WW with Anafenza the Foremost.

Also, wee, cheating. See if you can catch what happened.

During Thoughtseize, Roby put his Hero's Downfall perfectly underneath another card, keeping his opponent from seeing it and having him discard it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno if it's the colour or just the fact that dragons are kindof assholes in general.

Name a dragon who isn't a dick. There's probably one tops.

As for people who aren't assholes, uh, Gideon, Elspeth, Venser, Thalia, etc, etc, go down the line of white protagonists. I mean, I think white characters just know how to play their respective roles pretty well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Elesh Norn is the only white villain i ever need. Shes the coolest bad person that can be defeated by most doors.

Wow that was 4 years ago :psyduck:

Just means all the more opportunities for her to practice a sassy and royal sashay.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 8, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, but I can understand not being able to afford the thoughtseizes. In that case, I recommend Despise. Creatures in general have been a bigger threat in this meta than noncreatures, particularly the ever present rhino. However, that all depends on exactly what your meta is doing, if you're going to be seeing more control, you definitely want the other instead.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Ugin is a massive dick. He put Niairi in the situation where she had to bring the Eldrazi to her plane and lock them there, condemning them if they ever got released (lol).

Oh yeah, dragon dick chat. Yeah, Ugin's not overtly evil or dickish, but he could not give less of a poo poo about the little people. Even Tarkir is just a dragon farm with people to eat. Heck, even Sorin learned from that one with Innistrad, using Avacyn as just a way to keep vampires and humans in a large number that both can survive though he's not completely disregarding one over the other.

I straight up know nothing about Darigaaz though.

edit: Nope, there's our one truly non-dick dragon. Sadly, that means like everyone else nice, the Phyrexians wrecked him.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As I've said before, a black hero nowadays would likely be one or more of the following:

1. Tragic
2. An outcast and considered a freak
3. Out to take over a society that presently and actively segregates

edit: Also, G/W devotion so wants some of those Wardens, at least in the sideboard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Jesus Christ, that GW Devotion deck needs a Ugin or something to break through those ridiculous boar stalls it seems to always run into against other green decks.

That won't actually help with the mirror though since everyone's got Mastery of the Unseen. Master of Laurels would break the mirror if it was still in Standard. Is there any effect like that around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Well, it leaves the manifests, but it clears up everything else and you've still got a Ugin.

Maybe they should just splash black for In Garruk's Wake or something. :getin:

Probably the better plan. That or the Warden for "Let's see what you can do after I sink a billion mana into this guy". In fact, the only reason people haven't done this yet I'm sure is just because Magic players can't read cards.

• Locked thread