Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

apistat posted:

Is this going to be a cycle of brood-specific enchantments (and the end of the Ascendancy/Siege/x megacycle), or just the general representation of the DRAGONSTORMS :black101:?

There's no watermark, so the latter.

Entropic posted:

Nah it's just the mandatory goofy do-nothing red rare enchantment.

You know, this is actually one of the better ones because it's cheap and actually kind of does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

I think they just have the Khans as various not-Khans. In the Khans future the naga rule over the Sultai and in Dragons the best of them has been reduced to a zombie. Surrak has become the Huntmaster and kind of a huge racist? Taigam is with the Ojutai this time around and Zurgo is the Bellringer for the Kolaghan. Only person we don't know about is Anafenza.

Yeah, this was what I called last thread after the Uncharted Realms article(not that it was hard to figure out at that point).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a note that it says it was cut, which makes me sad since I like Edict effects a lot. I imagine it was cut to let stuff like the Heroic cards have a chance (since Cruel Edict would basically eliminate the Heroic decks from existing). Its possible they thought it ran too much into Merciless Executioner.

My guess is that it actually turned into Merciless Executioner.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's too bad that they're almost certainly not going to combine brood mechanics, a creature with dash and exploit would've been sweet.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I suspect Temporal Trespass was heavily nerfed after it was realized how crazy TC and DTT were in eternal formats. I mean it's a 5 mana effect (Time Warp) for 11 including 3 coloured, while Treasure Cruise is a 4 mana effect (Concentrate) for 8 with only one coloured.

FRF was 100% out development's hands by the time KTK premiered in the real world, based on what they've said about the process in the past.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What, was it like literally being printed when KTK came out? I know they finalize cards way before they're released, but I don't see what would stop them making an emergency change.

Read through the timeline here.

Edit: The section that's titled "so how did gottlieb know it was broken?" Or read the whole article, it's pretty interesting.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The part where Mirrodin has just come out, and development is sitting around going, "gently caress gently caress gently caress what are we gonna do about skullclamp?!" and then just hoping nobody notices is really funny in retrospect. It probably wasn't funny at the time because it was loving Mirrodin block and they already had hosed up with a full cycle of artifact lands.

The artifact lands actually weren't broken right when they came out, Broodstar Affinity was simply a good deck. Affinity didn't become a broken deck until Darksteel.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Which is why they only banned the Darksteel cards in the deck!

Yes, that was worded poorly. I should have said that they didn't start doing broken truly broken things until Darksteel came out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That is some goofy-looking art.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Excluding Dragon tribal shenanigans, I don't think this card is Standard playable because it's worse than Ashcloud Phoenix.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

STiL. posted:

Is anyone else... unexcited about the flavour of this set? Not necessarily about Neckbeard the Dragonspeaker searching for his waifu that he met the one time, but about the set as a whole. Since the conclusion of the story-arc concerning Ugin already happened, what story is there left to tell? We're just going to see dumb dragons and the idiots serving the dumb dragons; there's no conflict left to keep me interested especially considering we can assume that the status quo has been upheld for 1200 years.

I realize that I shouldn't be expecting compelling drama from my children's cardgame, but I'm feeling a lack of it considering any narrative the block had has already been told.

Personally I'm hoping for/expecting some sort of revolution.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Did Taurean Mauler ever see play for reasons outside of being a Changeling?

Taurean Mauler saw some play in aggressive red decks. I don't think this dragon will because it's a 5 drop that doesn't do anything immediately and doesn't protect itself, but it's a really cool card and absurd in limited.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

And then you get the stuff nobody expects to be good but turns out is, like Kiora and Keranos.

Speaking as someone who's more pessimistic than most about new cards, I thought Kiora was a fine card. Keranos, no, I did not think he was eternal playable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think many people would've been that surprised if Keranos was Standard playable, but playable in older formats kind of blindsided a lot of us.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Intro pack rares.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think the Shaman is bad if your deck is basically all creatures, Fyndhorn Elder is a fine card. If not though, yeah it's pretty useless.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

That Mythic is worse in every real way than Elvish Mystic.

Yes, but firstly I see no reason why every mythic has to be better than every common, and secondly I think it still might be playable if the right deck pops up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

Not every mythic has to be constructed caliber, but that ability certainly feels mythic. Maybe they could print it on a rare, but I don't know.

an 11 mana activated Biorhythm that you can't always use? :geno: I don't entirely agree with Grimace's perception of the power level, but honestly that card doesn't feel mythic to me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

It's a mythic for Timmy, not a mythic for Spike.

I'm aware of that. I don't think it's particularly cool, even for Timmy. I could easily be wrong, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Except this guy costs 3 mana and a card. He isn't worth it for his abilities and stats. Bad card is bad.

I say "never" because nobody who's actually trying to win as opposed to pull some Timmy poo poo would actually play this card. The situation you're describing is what we call "win-more."

If your entire deck is a creature ramp deck it's an accelerant that taps for 2. The last ability might as well not be there, but if a ramp deck that's almost all creatures happens to exist, this guy slots right in. He's not great or anything, but he's a 3 drop which taps for 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There are 3 dorks in Standard that are all better though.

a) Yes, he's worse than Courser and Caryatid, but those guys will rotate out soon.
b) The kind of deck I think this guy would fit in wants more than 12 rampers. I should note that it's entirely possible that that deck will never exist in Standard; this card is not powerful enough to single-handedly cause a deck to be created.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't know if it'll work out well, but I definitely want to try to make this work in Sidisi Whip.

I also wanna make UB dragon control because I make good choices.

This dragon is awful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Peepers posted:

Boltwing Marauder might be a decent curve-topper in a R/B or Mardu tokens deck. It's a decent enough threat on its own and combos real well with any token maker like Outburst, Rabblemaster, etc. However I don't see it clearing the "is this better than Stormbreath" hurdle.

I'm incredibly dubious about 5 mana creatures that don't protect themselves or provide instant value, I think they basically have to be Baneslayer tier to see constructed play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

eat your heart out rorix

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rorix saw a lot of play back in the day and Kolaghan is somewhat better. On the other hand, the power level of creatures has gone up significantly since then. I could see this going either way.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

7thBatallion posted:

How soon before a From the Vault series do we typically see spoilers? Anxiously looking forward to Angels, but it's not til August...

I don't really keep close track of FTVs, but I don't remember them giving spoilers other than maybe one or two splashy cards at big events; rather, they'll just release the entire list of cards at some point.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also also
Launch/Game day promos:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like the existence of Narset because she's pretty good(although I don't think she's as good as most of you think she is because her +1 is roughly "flip a coin. If you win, draw a card"), but, while she's good in Limited, she's not some sort of insane bomb.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's more like "Roll a die, if you roll a 1, 2, 3 or 4 draw a card."

Hmm? Your deck is going to have 22-26 lands and some number of creatures.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

The decks that play her don't want creatures. Maybe Jeskai Sage or something like that but not much more.

If your only creature in Standard is Jeskai Sage, how do you plan on winning the game? In older formats, you're going to run at least Snapcaster.

Regardless, we're nitpicking.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Anyway, let's talk about some of the new cards that aren't Narset, shall we?

This guy seems good to me with the new 2RR dragon and Stormbreath in some sort of RG aggro shell.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's bad. The RG aggro deck wants to play a Rabblemaster or a Flamewake Phoenix on T2 and if not that, it wants Heir which attacks through alot of the good stuff in the format. That card is also pretty weak off the top later in the game.

I feel like it's more conditional than bad; if there are enough cheap, efficient dragons to make this guy consistently a 3/4 for 2 then I think it's fine. Will there be? Still too early to tell.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ScreamingNinja posted:

Hey not sure if this is the right board but i figured id ask since i couldnt find any other one. I was at a draft yesterday, and im just getting reacquainted with the game. Anyway i was playing some guy who wasnt paying attention and ended up drawing out hos entire library. On his final turn, with no cards in his library, he activated tasigurs ability which is: "Put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a nonland card of an opponent's choice from your graveyard to your hand."

My question is basically should he have been able to use the ability even though he had no cards to put into the graveyard.

Yes. There's no conditionals there, and you don't put the cards into your graveyard as a cost, so it just does as much as it can.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

I can't believe they're reprinting Yawgmoth's Will

personally I'm shocked that they're reprinting Bargain

no, not Yawgmoth's Bargain, this one

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

Weird that Salt Road Ambushers is the only card in the cycle of uncommon Megamorph creatures with a clan watermark

The white, black, and green ones all have watermarks. Still weird that the whole cycle either does or doesn't, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

It makes sense, though, because the red one is this force of nature that exists independent of the dragons, and the blue one is just this tiny salamander that evades the attention of any of the dragons. The others serve the dragon broods to some extent.

I'm not saying the flavor of each card doesn't make sense; they do. What's weird to me is wizards printing a cycle that's partially watermarked, although as I'm typing this I'm realizing that it's not really a cycle and more a group of dudes that all happen to be uncommon megamorphs.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Symphonie posted:

It probably is a cycle, but they don't put watermarks on cards that go in multiple intro decks.

It's a cycle in the sense that it's 5 uncommon megamorph dudes, one in each color, but the similarities basically end there. They're all costed differently, behave differently when played, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I just want to know what Durdle Turtle is going to do in Dragons' future, hopefully he'll exist and be better.

• Locked thread