Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Given the number of sets and settings WotC has to make for Magic, especially now that they put out two unique blocks each year, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd get Dragon World eventually. If you don't like dragons, that's cool, but this set isn't for you. Both Avacyn Restored and Dragons of Tarkir are standalone big sets, so it's not like we're seeing old-school 3 set blocks with these heavy tribal themes like we might have in olden times.

I am disappointed that they couldn't figure out a balanced dragon that could be a common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Impulse is also not a great name for a blue card (Maro has mentioned this on his podcast before). There's nothing impulsive about draw-go control.

An impulse reprint would be fun for nostalgia reasons, but I can also understand not wanting to let the old misprint back into Standard just because of people who will end up shuffling because the card says to.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

They only include fixing cycles below rare if it's needed for limited. For DTK, we're getting mana rocks that turn into dragons, I assume Keyrune style.

There's no reason they'd have shard-based fixing in this set when there's nothing driving it flavor or mechanics wise.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hopping Ghost posted:

Tamiyo just wants to check out your moon. Aren't moons great? I love a good moon.

Socks with sandals is chaotic evil any way you slice it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

jassi007 posted:

Question for you some of you, if you borrow a deck, or lend a deck out, and the player wins an event with some prizes, what is the etiquette? Not talking like 5 packs at FNM prize, like an IQ where they walk away with $100+ cash and 10+ packs.

I'd expect a verbal thank-you. Anything is else gravy. Expecting a cut without negotiating something ahead of time seems a bit much. Lending to a friend is not renting.

Personally, I'd buy the deck lender dinner or something, but I wouldn't get mad if I lent a dude a deck and got nothing. I'd just be happy that my deck won something, even if I wasn't the pilot.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The green spell can counter blue/black removal, you dummies.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That dragon tutor owns. Dragon Standard owns.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I assume Scion of Ugin is the dragon card that was intended to be common but got bumped up in development.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also they put allied fetches in Khans and that set was more focused on enemy pairs due to how the wedge clans work. My guess is that we'll see enemy fastlands if we get something new.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Is a rare land cycle more or less guaranteed?

I would say it would be very surprising if there isn't one.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Shut up about your dumb Toxxes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Wizards is pretty good these days at sculpting limited environments, so I'm going to guess that all these uncommon dragons are going to be not only playable, but mid-range picks for many drafts.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It is a lower rarity than the other 4, so it's not completely unexpected that it's a bit weaker.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wait, 1 damage interrupts? There's never been an interrupt that dealt damage!

Sudden Shock is pretty close!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Breaking your own staunchly defended rules is fine as long as it pertains to the latest set.

Do you think anyone is going to miss that dragons are the main theme of this set?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Rinkles posted:

It's a principle of his design ethos, not marketing. Although in Rosewater's case, the two are closely related.

Except Maro has said that the "if it's not at common, it's not your theme" isn't 100% literal and just a guideline. It just means you need a high enough density to make the theme obvious to new and casual players. This isn't the gotcha moment you seem to think it is.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The posts in this thread are last-pick trash.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hmm yes this is much more important than meeting player expectations that are very easily within their power to meet. There has to be a lovely mind control instead of completing a legendary creature cycle in this set that's 80% cycles by volume, after Wizards has printed, like, 2000 products specifically for an unusually popular variant format based around legendary creatures. There is literally no way to work Rebound into a creature. This one, cannot be, done........

Oh my god shut up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sultai Emissary's flavor text is pretty cute given what we know now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

We need a :mtggoonsay: smiley, holy poo poo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's not my fault the two are near indistinguishable during spoiler season these days.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Tactical Magical Realism

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Numot the Devastator, because it has :911: colors and it flies in for a direct hit that destroys two structures from the air.

This is the only good thing to result from RME's terrible posts.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

How about some Llanowar Elvis alters? You could mix it up between young and old eras.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The baby Ugin 6-drop dragon has to be the one bumped from common to uncommon by development. I'd be curious to know what happened during playtests for that to happen. A common French-vanilla 4/4 flyer for 6 doesn't seem that obnoxious in a set with many other similar cards at uncommon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

He's asking about the Animar deck, where you can cast morphs for free after you get 3 counters going.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Obviously the best alternate future would be Tapirs of Tarkir.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hellsau posted:

So, the new Legacy Cube. Did they intentionally lower the power level? There are a LOT of completely nonsense cards in the new MTGO cube, that are basically just unplayable, but then there's also the Splinter Twin which seems waaaaay better than playing Vampire Interloper or Overrun. Good limited cards versus the best Modern combo seems like a poor matchup.

Interloper is bad, but only because black-based aggro isn't a great archetype. Overrun is sweet and ends games, and would only be a lower pick than Twin due to its strict mana requirements. Combo isn't really a viable archetype in cube, it's just something that you can luck into if the stars align.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

FYI, if you have to ask an Internet forum which color/guild/brood pack is the best at the pre-release, you're probably not winning the tournament even if you get it.

Just pick whichever seems fun you nerds.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if they commission art without knowing which will be the promo and pick the better one for the set since more people will see it. People who want to be different will value promos for their own sake.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I mean it only had cards powerful enough to be banned in eternal formats and the best 1-drop for red since Goblin Guide.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Wizards should stop supporting constructed entirely, to be honest.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think every block needs flashback, cycling, or kicker explicitly, just something to smooth variance. In recent sets, bestow, strive, scry, and morph have all filled similar roles.

Most modal mechanics are all variants of each other with some corner case exceptions anyway. Buyback, overload, entwine, and strive are all just more narrow, and generally more flavorful, forms of kicker, for example.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

This thread took a huge dive at the beginning of DTK spoiler season and never recovered.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

People like to pile on mcmagic, but Toshimo has equally and consistently bad opinions on Magic: the Gathering (tm).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The "free" mechanic would probably be fine if it just untapped basic lands. It would still be possible to go infinite, but it'd take more work and likely create more interesting deck-building tension.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The point of FRF was not for it to be drafted that differently itself, but that it could tie into the mechanics and archetypes of both of the surrounding large sets without feeling out of place.

The overall drafts are supposed to feel different, not FRF specifically.

Given how lovely many small sets are, I'd say FRF was overall a success. Te main weakness is probably the top-heaviness of the rares, but even that wasn't super terrible.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 8, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

black potus posted:

u make my dick wither

And hastily at that!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Our FNMs are to the death, which has really cut down on paperwork and logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

Nice to know that some other goons play REAL Magic, the way Richard Garfield intended

Speaking of the way Richard Garfield, PhD intended, do the new build-your-own-FNM-format allow for ante?

• Locked thread