Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AceClown posted:

Between the angel and that white orchid dude, mono white devotion really looks like it could be a thing to my untrained eye

Don't forget Gideon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AceClown posted:

When one of these new dual face plainswalkers flips does it still count towards devotion?

I'm guessing no as it gets exiled and returned as a 0CMC card but I could be wrong.

Yeah but he's 1 mana and fits a white weenie deck pretty much perfectly.

Fake Edit: Oh wait, white devotion, yeah, I see. I'd be surprised if those 2 archetypes didn't significantly overlap though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Devotion isn't dominant anymore, and hasn't really been for quite a bit. That title goes to various flavors of Abzan decks.

The same colors probably shouldn't compose the best deck in all three of midrange, control, and aggro.

Goddamn Siege Rhino.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It hits a nerve for a bunch of players who play modern. these are the ones to feel sympathy for, because noble hierarch is way too expensive and it sucks

It also annoys people who love good mana dorks for their standard G/x decks. these are the people to mock, because green decks of any kind do not need any help in standard right now

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Day's Undoing has really good art

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It does, however, completely gently caress over collected company.

Also every single deck relying on aether vial.

What a nice card.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

Holy crap have you people not read the card?!

Again, it does these things for a turn. It's 1W: counter Collected Company or Chord, draw a card. And the fact that you're holding up 1W instead of doing something relevant means you're probably losing anyway. And Aether Vial? Really? You choose not to put a creature into play and activate Vial again later. What a beating. How will Aether Vial ever see play now?

It's a fun card that stops most non-bloom combo decks, is a very nice tempo swing against company, and can stop a vial deck from going off.

Also, uh, "holding up 1W instead of doing something relevant" is basically the literal definition of a control deck? Except it's usually some variety of U spell instead.

It's a fine card in a very advantageous position due to the current modern meta.

Also that green card is, uh, weird to say the least.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

the death of lands in front will not be mourned

Also the goblin might see play just because it's a goblin, though it could use more tribal cards

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The goblin dude is an okay 1 drop. Its' positives (it's a goblin, menace as upside) do not currently outweigh its' negatives (R for a 1/1, needs to hit to be good, there are flat out better options right now for the 1 drop slot like zurgo and denizen [and maybe swiftspear depending on the deck]).

Goblin Piledriver is a fine card, but playing a worse card on the chance of curving this thing into piledriver+dealing damage is just not an attractive option.

If more goblin related cards come out, it might see play for synergy's sake, but otherwise it's just not good enough given the alternatives.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Xaerael posted:

What the ever living gently caress, why is Goryo's Vengeance $50 all of a sudden? I literally bought a playset not a month ago for $5 each.

Some guys figured out how to make the deck not suck, and people are buying in

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

yeah cheating is pretty sick tech

???

Here's a deck tech on the thing for the guy who asked

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Elspeth rotates out in 3 months, who gives a poo poo

Don't nykthos and courser also rotate out, along with wayfinder and pretty much every last shred of green ramp that isn't Nissa, Borderland Ranger?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

it's a good card in limited but there's better things to do in a red deck in standard

G/R devotion doesn't want it, G/R dragons has dragons, generic red deck is probably topping out with goblin tribal fuckery using rabblemaster and piledriver, and it's too much of an aggro card to fit into any decks that want to play a long game

these come from observations, obviously haven't played with the card, but that's what I'm seeing. maybe there's some sort of U/R tempo deck that's going to want it, I dunno, but it doesn't really fit well into an extant deck type

Also the gideon thing's art is fine except for his megabuster, and the card itself is only good in limited

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

Oh yup, thems Boros Duders.

Weird. I thought they were only covering their plane of origin plus their first walk.

maybe it's leftover art?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm getting cautiously optimistic about the possibility of a viable U/R/x tempo deck in new standard.

That Mage is great. I wish it could blink itself, but I'll take it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Four Score posted:

have you forgotten me already, comrade?
/

I meant in limited regarding the Mage. Shorecrasher is the bastard child of nykthos and an aetherling.

Until and unless mono blue comes back, UUU is just too heavy a commitment.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Serperoth posted:

Well it's a Mythic...

Oh goddammit, of course it is. Ugh.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I can't wait to draft UR Thopters

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Wezlar posted:

Cranial Extraction that only hits creatures for 1 less is still a bad card I think?

it might see fringe play in standard just to remove those loving raptors, but it's too expensive for too much risk of not hitting something in their hand

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

See that's what green should be, not these recurring raptors or lightning helix rhinos

gently caress midrange, green should be all giant loving creatures that make ramp awesome and fun

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sickening posted:

Well gently caress. Of course it's green.

...you expected a 6/6 for 5 with upside to be any other color?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sickening posted:

The color pie doesn't mean what it use to. Desecration demon was a thing.

upside, not "potential downside".

but yes black might get that body for that cost with a downside

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

It's a shame we only get this mash-up of planes for one set.

Yeah, while it's a bit hard to do story wise, this works in a really cool way

Imagine a set with, say, Vryn for Esper Colors and Muraganda (dinosaur/prehistoric plane) for Gruul.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Elves are almost always xenophobic dicks in mtg

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Elyv posted:

This isn't true, non-Lorwyn elves as a whole are basically complete non-entities personality wise.

I'm probably just dealing with recency bias.

Also I'm having way too much fun thinking of new standard decks. UR Artifact Tempo? Abzan Enchantments? Goblins? GB Non Combo Elves?
White Weenie feat. Gideon?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I was a little surprised at how many people hated the 2/1 Prowess guy. Seeker of the Way is playable as gently caress and I feel like that guy is better than Seeker of the Way past turn 4 or so.

Who hates it? It's playable in standard, even if it doesn't really have a home right now. It fits in the same type of deck as new Chandra( i.e. not aggro-burn). My first inclination is Jeskai or UR Tempo, but we'll see.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

That was actually rather intelligible aside from the "titanium"s.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

They should really just make weaker creatures to correspond with the weaker spells, and at the very least avoid recursion effects. Especially in green, considering the loving mess that is deathmist raptor recursion has pretty much singlehandedly kneecapped removal strategies.

I'm saying that I want standard to be even weaker, especially creaturewise, given that WotC don't seem like they're going to be printing correspondingly strong spells barring major mistakes (which I consider cruise and dig to be).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

The only creature in standard that could be considered to be overpowered or oppressive is Siege Rhino. I never felt that way about Raptor.

You've never tried to play a control deck against abzan megamorph.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Isn't them recurring Thoughtsieze with Den Protector just as bad if not worse?

Not really? Den Protector is a fantastic card, but the really infuriating part of the deck is where they get endless 3/3 (or 4/4) deathtouchers.

It's not a broken combo or anything, it's just really bad for anyone who wants to play a deck that gets rid of threats without exiling.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I understand that that interaction is good vs control decks but why is it "broken" and not just a bad matchup for your deck?

It's not broken, it just warps the format towards even more creatures since non-sweeper removal doesn't really work well at all.

WotC did express a wish to have a midrange dominated standard (I think it was Sam Stoddard's Khans retrospective that had it?) so I guess they've succeeded.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I like MaRo and think he does a very good job

I also think he has a sense of humor and just because you don't like his jokes doesn't mean that he isn't making them

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

black potus posted:

i'm glad someone is speaking out in defense of designer extraordinaire, comic genius, and writer for "Roseanne" mark rosewater

i'm a brave man

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Very tempting.

But then I have to learn how matchups work.

Or you could play Dredge.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Thopter supremacy

Wait is that chief dude an uncommon or am I misreading the symbol out of exhaustion

Jen X fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 1, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

the golem reminds me of phyrexian colossus

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Nissa is currently mediocre because the ramp in this format is both creature based (mystic, caryatid, voyaging satyr) and devotion based (nykthos.) The extant and actively playable land-based ramp is courser of kruphix and satyr wayfinder. That's it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

And neither of those ramp, so...

They're obviously not ramp in the sense of "this card immediately gives you more mana available soon", but they do let you draw and play more lands.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

that's dedication

I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The dumbest part about Gideon's name change is that Gideon is itself a Greek version of a Hebrew name

It's literally just a mispronunciation, there's not even thematic value involved in dropping the theros-style name

• Locked thread