Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

forbidden lesbian posted:

some of the cards will be good, miniature flags for others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So, rules question. If I cast final fortune, can I sundial the "you lose the game" part of it away? How about stifle? One of my friends has a stiflenaught deck and is planning on putting FF in and wanted to make sure. It doesn't seem like it should since it's a spell effect, but the good folks at MTGS tell him it's a delayed trigger.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't know if it'll work out well, but I definitely want to try to make this work in Sidisi Whip.

I also wanna make UB dragon control because I make good choices.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderdrake posted:

I think he misread "opponent" as "player" on the dragon.
That is entirely possible. Probable, even!

:(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starving Autist posted:

The best thing about playing rogue brews is definitely the salty reactions you get when you manage to win.
Absolutely true. I still get people scoffing at me for running Nighthowler in Sidisi Whip, usually right before or right after my 11/11 satyr wayfinder stomps their head in.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chamale posted:

I count putting the spell on top as a drawback.
For them, maybe.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kabanaw posted:

giant rats with rotors strapped to them
Can this be the next set's theme?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Holy jesus, Narset is insane. If people start playing more UW in my area I'm gonna have to hold a hero's downfall in hand forever just to deal with her asap. That ult is murder. Wonder if you could do an esper control thing with Sorin?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AceClown posted:

I'm gonna do the same but with brood keeper and a poo poo load of 1 cast auras and that hasty dragon enchantment thing.

IT WILL WORK
I do this with a (janky as gently caress) modern deck and my 1 drop enchantment is Shimmering Wings.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not going to stick at even $20. I'd bet my marbles.
I thought you already lost those. :rimshot:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Nissa preordered at 15 bucks and was 30 for 3 months...
I traded away my Nissa (that I got in the prerelease) for 3 Polluted Deltas. Man was that ever an amazing trade.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

The big troll will be when that "new Sarkhan," is just a Form of the Dragon reprint. (yes, I know Sarkhan is already on a printing of FOTD)
What about a reprint of the original Sarkhan Vol?

Also, re: Narset - I think she'll be absolutely insane in UW heroic but I don't know how UW heroic is doing overall. I see like 1-2 people playing it (or something like it) every week but that's it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

personally I'm shocked that they're reprinting Bargain

no, not Yawgmoth's Bargain, this one
I want an entire set illustrated by Phil Foglio.

Bonus points if that set is Return to New Phyrexia.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serperoth posted:

Atarka's Command spoiled on Facebook

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:
- Your opponents can't gain life this turn
- ~ deals 3 damage to each opponent
- You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield
- Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain reach until end of turn
My first thought is "2 mana instant? I can put it on a stick!" because isochron scepter is one of those cards I always seem to try to slot into my modern decks. This seems drat good for standard though, ramp+damage early game or a great gotcha moment/skullcrack later on.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Narset at 48 bucks on TCGplayer... Sigh.
It's gonna be drat hard to not pick UW for the PR, just because that foil narset is gonna be worth $100+ to some idiot.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoness posted:

Would you want a goblin welder in your collection? He'd turn your Teeka's Dragons into like Mindslavers what an rear end in a top hat.
Uh, clearly he would turn it into an Ashnod's Altar. Unless you can think of a better ash tray in MTG.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Temur Babysitter

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

End of Life Guy posted:

It seems better as Hero's Downfall 5-6 with a tempo play of bouncing a land attached.
That's what I'll likely run it as, with the potential of Negate with a kill spell attached (however unlikely that may be).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starving Autist posted:

While it can't dome the opponent, the bigger body plus trample somewhat makes up for that. Note that it can roast multiple planeswalkers, which is not something you often get to do with one card. I like that it turns on formidable all by itself, too.
With only 5 damage the only time it's going to roast >1 PW is right after your opponent uses an ult, at which point lol who cares. Or like maybe you do some weird goofy split attack and finish them off with her but I see that happening approximately never.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't know how but I am gonna make a modern deck that runs the new sarkhan and make it not suck.

Somehow.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheKingofSprings posted:

So if you play 2 lilianas, does that mean one of them dies and flips the other?
Yes.

Edit:

Kasonic posted:

Why would anyone hate DFCs? Like seriously, explain your anger to me.
"Oh hey my card flipped, let me gently caress around with the sleeve for a bit here. Good game, now let me gently caress around with this sleeve some more!"

Alternatively, "oh good, a DFC. Now I get to save a stack of filler cards and use up more space in my deck box (which is generally at a premium after adding a SB) for this loving thing."

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Print a common DFC tribal flip morph planeswalker with suspend.
The creature side should have Plainswalk and the planeswalker should give banding.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

Please don't offer my employees things like cash favors. It's inappropriate and you should already know that. Same for <me>, I know he isn't publicly your business partner but everyone knows he's "your guy."
<pro tour hopeful> is young and doesn't understand the strings that will be attached once he accepts such a favor from you. He is in the running to be my manager and he will be hurt if he compromises the trust that he has built with me with his own efforts. Even if you tell him there are no strings attached, we both know there are. At the very minimum you are "buying his loyalty/sympathy/regard" and that's a conflict of interest.
If you are really <pro tour hopeful>'s friend, and not just trying to use him, prove it by leaving him alone.
It's somewhat of an issue with <other employee> too but he and I already had the discussion we needed to have and he isn't taking money from you so it's not as much of a problem there.
Is he a libertarian? Because they're the only assholes I've ever known to think that gifts always have strings attached. If I were you I'd insist on paying after that bullshit message.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

If that was the case he can still do it. Only a crazy person would take away a promotion because of STRINGS ATTACHED and LOYALTY.
Yeah, it boils down to "stop doing anything nice for him or else he might realize that there are other employers out there who might treat him like a person!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

forbidden lesbian posted:

I sincerely hope the New Zendikkkar block ends with a Portal opening up and Elesh Norn walking in going what's uuuuuuuuuuuup

(Note: I don't know how the phyrexians got around without planeswalking as an ability so I assume it was portals)
Elesh Norn opens up a portal to the Blind Eternities, douses the eldrazi in phyrexian oil.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

redstormpopcorn posted:

I won't be surprised if Emrakul and the other Eldrazi are immune to phyresis. They have the whole protection-from-colors thing and Eldrazi vs. Phyrexia would be cooler.
Well yeah, first we need phyrexian slivers to swarm them!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

Yeah that's a Portal level of :shepface: reminder text right there.

Please note: I'm not saying that it isn't necessary. :v:
Yeah, after getting into an argument a while back about Meddling Mage (no, if you name Lightning Bolt and I Terminate it, I am in fact allowed to play my 3 bolts again!), it's definitely necessary.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderdrake posted:

Who else is gonna make whooshing noises with Swift Warkite
More like a "nnnrrrrrrrooooooowwwwww" noise really.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dragons aren't fun
The Wrongest Opinion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

End of Life Guy posted:

If butts are the thing, is there a place for Phenax ?
Saw a guy running sultai control with Phenax and Colossus of Akros last week at FNM, he took second place. It was kind of amazing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sarmhan posted:

ABZAN rear end
You have to go for Assban here. I crave portmanteaus more than alliteration.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

It is you who is the wrongest.

Fishbrick is the best art period.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xeom posted:

I'm guessing sacrificing a creature is like any other cost. You can't sacrifice a single creature to activate several abilities?

Right. However, if you have several "when you sac a creature, do a thing" effects, they will all trigger off each sacrifice you make.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, anyone who says standard is expensive, and then goes and plays warhammer, is obviously allowing the point fly over their head.

Also they obviously have never seen a RDW list. I made mine for 50.
poo poo, I made Sidisi Whip for just shy of $100 and I've been top 4-ing FNM nearly every week since KTK dropped. It's probably paid for itself twice over now in winnings.

Also :laffo: at someone playing warhammer and crying about pay-to-win.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deftest posted:

The problem isn't Legacy decks vs Kitchen Table, really

A few years ago a friend and I brought our kitchen table decks into the local store and got stomped by a standard deck (late innistrad, I think). After a few games, when it was clear our decks didn't stand a chance and the local magic master got bored he suggested we upgrade our [random-vanilla-5cmc-green-guy] to Thragtusk.

My friend and I rolled our eyes at him. Obviously Thragtusk was a superior card in that slot, but we weren't up for spending $20 on one card at the time.
Well see here's the thing, he might have been genuinely trying to help you out because a lot of kitchen table players read exactly zero magic related articles and have exactly zero knowledge of cards they have not personally cracked from packs. So you might legitimately not known that Thragtusk was a card that existed. I don't know, I wasn't there; but I generally give the benefit of the doubt on these things because when I'm giving card advice, I don't know what your budget is or what cards you're aware of existing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He talks about sets and blocks like the last thing he played was Antiquities and he sort of glimpsed at Tempest.

He has literally no idea how Magic works.
It almost reads like that post I think was linked here where the guy who had only ever played Hearthstone (but had someone quick explain how to play magic to him one time) critiqued some expensive magic cards.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Henron posted:

The New Set Sucks
You'll change your tune when they release Return to Lorwyn and the new keyword is fishbrick.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

vOv posted:

Enchant World still sort-of exists, it's just that World is a supertype now (so in theory you could have World Creature, World Artifact, etc.).
This will be the mechanic that Battle for Zendikar brings back. There will be new eldrazi that interact with the Word supertype (mostly eating them).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

If the worst thing Maro is doing to magic is fighting against Hornet Sting reprints, I'm pretty fine with that.
I think it's more the issue that he's railing against green having anything that could even barely be called removal that doesn't involve a creature with X power hitting a creature with X toughness or less. Which is boring and lovely and kind of leaves us in the 1994 days of magic where blue gets everything because of its "reality warping" flavor, black gets almost as much for its "pay some life to get Wish as per the D&D spell" flavor, and the other colors just sort of faff about wishing they got cool toys too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
They should reprint River of Tears and make a cycle out of it because it is one of my favorite lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alaan posted:

Magic Übermensch Gfab continues his rein of terror over the GP circuit. Another top 8, this time in limited so I got to see him playing something other than Sultai.
I'm sure whoever sits across from him is filled with unbridled horror. :v:

• Locked thread