Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

Spin the MTG plot wheel and get, Phyrexians??? No that can't be right. Spin again and come up with Nicol Bolas. PErfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Rockefellar Drake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

forbidden lesbian posted:

there, I can point to one of those 3 posts and go I told you so in 3 weeks

im predicting the entire set is just a series of reminder cards that spell out Bear Sterns Bravo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

No. Clash packs have nothing to do with card legality in Standard.

There were some cards that weren't in the last core set that are currently legal, where did they come from? Like I know Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire are legal right now but not in M15 or Theros or Khans.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

Are you trying to say caw-blade wasn't fun?

Cawblade was the highest skill-testing format in recent years. Yeah Cawblade is a format now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Santheb posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for a question like this, so if it isn't, please forgive me.

A friend I play Magic with and I decided to do a pauper style deck building with the exceptions being two non duplicate uncommons and two duplicate rares. Just something to spice up our usual duels I guess.

Anyway, I built a nice Boros + bloodrush deck that I think will do well, I played it a few times versus another friend and it drew pretty well and did what I expected it would. Not as many Batallion procs as I would've liked but it's okay, bloodrush proved to be pretty effective.

The "format" is basically no more than two non duplicate rares and two non duplicate uncommons, with only basic lands. I've got a ton of commons from many different sets, I'm just having trouble picking a concept for a cool deck built around such a format. I'd love any suggestions or really any input on this. I'm trying to stay away from both red and white because of my Boros deck, but Orzhov does sound interesting.

I'd appreciate any input on this, and I know it looks like it but I'm not asking for a card by card list of a deck to build. Just if there was like, a cool ability from a certain series or something that might be fun to play, maybe point me in that direction :)

About to go delve through my library again, we'll see what happens. In any event, a dumb format like this definitely puts a new spin on the deckbuilding I'm familiar with so it's kinda fun.

You can play Storm with ANT which seems kind of insane.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Santheb posted:

I don't have either of those cards on hand unfortunately and my phone auto corrected me into posting that we can have two duplicate rares. What I meant was two non duplicate rates :/

Ad Nauseam and Tendrils of Agony are both singletons. Deck would be a little more sketchy without the tutors in Pauper but it runs a good amount of cantrips.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

UW control needs a 2 CMC creature so that one of the modes isn't dead. Unfortunately yet again Wizards chooses to callously leave Wall of Omens out of Standard.

edit: vv Mana Leak isn't unconditional, and there are actually a ton of blue spells in the same vein as it.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Every creature that is not Wall of Omens is in fact, bad.

edit: Oh sorry Sea Gate Oracle and Mulldrifter are not bad.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Wall of Blossoms is so salty right now.

It made the poor decision to be in a color that doesn't have flicker effects. Also it isn't even the coolest green wall!!

edit: Wall chat what is every best wall for every color. Blue is obviously Glacial Wall but only with the Ice Age art, otherwise it's Mnemonic Wall.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Black doesn't have a lot of choices and they're really predicated on creature type, which makes it a neck and neck race between the Snake Wall and the Skeleton Wall.

Red has no walls that are interesting in any way, so I guess Wall of Stone gets the nod for being old and somewhat iconic for walls.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

My pet black wall would be a 1/1 flying deathtouch defender for B. A fetid rat corpse strapped to a balloon as art.

That would be a good wall, there aren't enough rats with flying in MTG, or enough balloons, and that would really tick off a lot of boxes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Serperoth posted:

Well yeah, Bat is a separate creature type...

A rat flying via unnatural means doesn't just become a bat. They are mundane but separate rodents.

Edit: We can check off even more boxes if we make a Rat Flinger creature who creates tokens of flying rats that die EOT.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh, Remand rates ahead when you draft storm since the tempo is the important part of the counter, and the lost card can be pretty huge.

And cantrip chaining is ... vaguely a thing...

Remanding your own spell in a counter war is kind of fun, especially if its being countered by something with value like Cryptic or a Flusterstorm you could never beat.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yawgmoth posted:

Can this be the next set's theme?

Ratnica, and eventually Return to Ratnica.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

Potential new creature type to replace Dragons in the new set.

I've been waiting for them to print some more good cards for my A Bat Carrying a Block of Wax tribal deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and not be able to play it.

The most fun part of limited is a really irresponsible splash for a one of you probably shouldn't have drafted.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I once double splashed for Olivia Voldaren into a UW deck. It was the right move. She won all sorts of games better mana or another spirit wouldn't have. Also I guess it let me flashback Forbidden Alchemy.

I once splashed an INDEX and a Jace Memory Adept in R/B off of literal two islands, but this was 4 pack sealed where Memory Adept may be the most powerful limited card in any format, and where I was more likely to be rewarded for my extreme greed. I was.

Angry Grimace posted:

I doubt its all that irresponsible with guaranteed fixing in every FRF pack and the first two packs not being tri-color stuff.

If you have proper fixing that's not really a splash, that's just your deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cernunnos posted:

Jace Memory Adept is nuts in Limited yeah. Similarly Sword of Body and Mind.

Anything that says Mill 10 and can be easily repeated is stupid good. We had a guy passed Jace pack 3 in a Chaos Draft (everyone picks any 3 packs) at our store and we all just :catstare: at the guy who passed it to him.

I actually forgot about Sword which comes down much sooner, but has to get a hit in. Tough call. Anything with a repeatable mill 10 in a 30 card deck format is ridiculous though. Imagine a 5 mana PW with 0: Target player gains 4 poison counters. Because it's basically that in 4 pack.

I think it edges out Drana and Olivia Voldaren as the most unbeatable limited bombs I have ever played with. At least in 4 pack.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I sleeve my cards in other, different cards, making them all modal. A lot of opponents complain about "cheating."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I dunno if they would print more combo pieces for Hidetsugu's Second Rite, but if they did the deck becomes that much more unbeatable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It is weird to see people complaining red gets nothing good re: Narset when she is going to be bananas with burn spells.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Also just realized how good it is against control. Dash means it doesn't get hit by a sweeper like Crux or Drown, they actually have to spend a Downfall or counterspell on it, which is just value town.

That Archwing Dragon value. That thing was one of the most obnoxious creatures to play against.

mcmagic posted:

SCG Sold out of preorders at 30, 35 and 40. lol

"4 mana, has blue, new Jace??? Going to retire off my investment!!!" - people who order every PW

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Nissa preordered at 15 bucks and was 30 for 3 months...

That means for the lucky few who saw this coming, they saved $60 over the ones who for whatever reason really needed a full playset and bought in at the high price.

edit: Also I don't know anyone who gets full dealer value on like in print cards, but everyone talks like they do so I guess that must be a thing somewhere.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 4, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I preordered Sorin, Solemn Visitor for $10.50, because everyone tried to argue he sucks for not being as good as Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (a totally irrelevant card to the conversation). I sold those off for 30 bucks value (I actually traded them for Elspeth's + cards at that value) and then acquired more when they were 10 bucks again.

By the time he was done trading, he bought a huge house and two vintage decks, all from a $42 investment!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's the same reason you don't get to shuffle a Zenith back into your deck when you used Snapcaster to get it out of the graveyard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

If you cast Treasure Cruise delving away all the other Cruises in your graveyard do you lose 10 to the new kolaghan?

The cards aren't in the yard when the spell gets put on the stack so I am pretty sure you wouldn't.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

I hope it shows up on buylists. I have like 12.

If it is rampant speculation, which seems most likely, it will be impossible to move at the inflated price but will hold price memory and never see any movement at the goofy temporary inflation.

Remember when River of Tears and Secluded Glen were "$25"? :allears:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm starting to suspect you don't actually have all these EDH decks.

I wish someone had thought of a similar line of jokes about peoples niche decks before, but you have to hand it to him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Really. I could see WUG Walkers that is just a reversion to the earlier Walker decks pre-Khans. Caryatid/Courser core with Ajani (Mentor), Narset, Elspeth, and Nissa. That sounds pretty loving scary, honestly.

Edit: Think of this.
Turn 1: Scryland
Turn 2: Caryatid
Turn 3: Narset (good luck killing her short of Downfall)
Turn 4: End Hostilities
Turn 5: (Rebound End Hostilities) Ajani/Nissa/Value Town
Turn 6: Break face

Outside of block constructed I don't think we've seen a superfriends deck since 5 mana Gideon was using his Royal Assassin powers on Birds of Paradise. I don't think we are ever going to again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That's just kind of a staple of Zombie cards and probably just a nod to flavor.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know how to evaluate that card. His abilities feel at cross-purposes. I really wish he wasn't a lord and had some form of evasion instead, but maybe he'll be sweet.

The lord ability and the cast from the graveyard ability seem to be at slight odds with one another, but it sort of feels like one half is aimed at constructed and the other limited, which is interesting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I forced a guy to play out his Temur Ascendancy combo on MTGO. It took him literally 10 minutes to execute it (I already won game 1). He never even managed to even get his kill - he ran out of time as he was lining up a huge Nylea strike.

For anyone not familiar with MTGO it doesn't matter who won game 1 here, if you run out of clock you lose.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you like to play red that is cool but please stop complaining about other colors or how red never gets anything. I dunno how y'all are posting from 2008 but

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

If he's from Theros, I predict a Courser of Kruphix reprint to go along with the landfall coming in this Fall's Return to Zendikar

Hey now, Courser is no Typhoid Rats we can probably go a Standard rotation without it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was really hoping for a goofy revival of Venser via time travel shenanigans, but it didn't fit this blocks theme. Other than time travel.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Starving Autist posted:

Um what? That doesn't sound very fun or exciting...

Ah, the legendary Winter Orb set.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

Well, now that there's Actual Evidencetm I'll happily admit I was wrong. Tis the season to be wrong about Magic.

I think MTG would be way more fun if less people cared about being right or wrong about stuff :)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiderdrake posted:

You think Magic would be more fun without winning or losing? Hmm. HMM.

Yeah I can't tell if it's intentional parody, trolling or just being cute.

It's so low effort it doesn't matter what it's supposed to be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Any quick way of spotting fakes?

You probably can't tell from the lovely picture, but the Hymns are much paler than newer cards and their backs a smidgeon redder. I was just wondering whether the print technique changed that much (other old cards tend to also be paler but these stood out).

I don't have delusions of these being worth anything, just curious.

I found it hard to believe a Hymn would be worth anything considering how many packs of Fallen Empires were everywhere and so cheap, and realized that basically every art Hymn is more expensive than packs of Fallen Empires were.

That's really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If Brittle Will is real it's going to be pretty neat for hiding a card from Thoughtseize.

• Locked thread