Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'll take "the rapists" for 1 pro point Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It will be interesting to see how Wizards responds. And the fallout. A precedent must be set with regards to felony convicts in our community.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Toshimo posted:

It's in WotC's best interests to ignore this. I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

When Drew Levin's lips get to flapping, he needs to be satisfied.

That's why I'm expecting a response.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Unfortunately, this won't be going away, last time Levin was this enthusiastic with a public shame campaign was when some reviewer used the word, trigger warning: fag, on their twitter.

This prompted a public statement from H.B. and the renouncement of the guy's product privileges. Forgive me paying from my phone, is provide links otherwise.

He's got a head of steam, I don't see him letting up, especially now that lsv and efro are signed on.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh good, finally. This is what makes watching the Olympics so good. However, there is a fine line between "against all odds" and the story of brad Nelson who gave up school, friends, and jobs for magic. And that other guy on the vice video who took a semester off to play and didn't sound like he was doing so hot school-wise too.

Grinder: the story of Brad Nelson's lunch.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

jassi007 posted:

He should take my reply and go post it on MTGS and then tell everyone it isn't really his reply either :P yeah yeah he got me zing!

Lurk more.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

CountFosco posted:

People talk all the time about how he is a "bad writer" but I never see people making a case for him actually being a bad writer (i.e. writes poorly) and all I can assume is people just don't like his content and opinions. Yeah, occasionally he misses in his writing but generally he misses because he's trying to do something different, the part in his scg portland tournament report where he makes the tinder pun being a notable standout. I'll take writing that tries to do something different and fails sometimes over the massive amount of sameness in style that we get with so many MTG articles.

I can't not not agree with this.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's the ev on 1k shitposts?

Also lmao at the peach garden boys. Clowns.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The oath of the peach garden was honored. But it was not their lives that ended that self-same day, it was their beloved status among nerds the world over.

Is there a card about disgraced ronin or refuges or anything?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Pleased to find out I've been following kingcobweb for months on Twitter and loving his posts. You've been crushing lately.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is lots of people care, just not in the way he was clearly hoping for.

Mental illness is real.

This event has been the most fun since Jared snorlac boecher.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I feel bad for @gurumtg, poor guys got some serious mental health issues. I was surprised the community wasn't more tolerable.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Blood Moon has been bought out up to $45. Looks like Aether games didn't waste any time spending that Vegas money.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sickening posted:

I would tell you to lighten up, but you would effort post yourself into frenzy.

Lmao, triggered!

So evergreen mechanics, can be in any set going forward? Like the trees? Mad good.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Misogyny is actually well down the list of Magic's image problems, well behind the playerbase being unwashed, sweaty neckbeards and manchildren getting legitimately angry about a card game about wizards.

No one is saying it doesn't exist; if you come across an rear end in a top hat, treat them accordingly. We don't need a symposium every other week on the topic of how to deal with each and every loving thing that might offend someone.

I loved seeing "Trick Jarrett" tweeting that he wouldnt be doing handshakes at GP Vegas, only fistbumps. Then urging the players to wash their hands often.

MTG: Still Not Never Ready for Primetime

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The art I saw was much better than the generic computer generated poo poo we've been enduring.

e- I take that back, its not true, those were old cards posted a few pages ago.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Players are really cool about it if you approach it with respect and tact. I got the players at my last shop to stop saying "that's gay" and other stupid stuff by treating them like reasonable people. I think a lot of judges fall between not doing anything or being very aggressive, which makes people angry and defensive.

There's a lot you can do to tone down and police unwanted behavior without dressing down, shaming, or being confrontational. One shop I know introduced a "salt jar" in an effort to stamp out people being rude and lovely to each other, players treated it as a joke and didn't even notice how it shaped their behavior and suddenly everyone is more sporting and friendly.

Ciprian really gets it. A real human being.

I think a lot of why magic players are such lovely people, has to do with the fact that there is nothing required other than time and money. This leads to a disgusting sense of entitlement and superiority, which is a problem you see manifested more quickly in games like League of Legends or DOTA. Its even in the LoL thread title, Dunning-kreuger or something. There is nothing stopping the players from sitting for 10-12 hours just grinding away, slowly morphing into sub-human filth.

Compare this to something like Wrestling, Football, Baseball, or any real sport really, where theres a real cost to be able to compete. Mutual respect is much more common, although there are obvious exceptions.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 8, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

"I love Magic: the Gathering more than anything in the world. As an occupation and as a hobby, it’s the single thing I’m the most passionate about and the thing I’ve dedicated my life to."

Man that's one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Lmao.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sickening posted:

It appears he won't be making "content" for a while. He either got tired of being poo poo on constantly or CFB is making him take a break.

I could see the latter being the case, especially if the attitude was spilling over to other parts of the site.

Cya dude.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

i seem to recognize your face
haunting, familiar, yet i can't seem to place it
cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
lifetimes are catching up with me
all these changes taking place, i wish i'd seen the place
but no one's ever taken me

Xaerael posted:

The question is... would running sleeves with a picture of a guy who got a DCI ban doing the thing he got his DCI ban for result in you also getting a DCI ban?

Small price to pay.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 24, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Onmi posted:

I have no idea what's going on, who is that guy.

Sidney Blair, patron saint of righteous indignation.

For a new page:

Get your tokens:

truant finds home...and a wish to hold on...
but there's a trapdoor in the sun...immortality...
as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show
swept out through the cracks beneath the door

always be closing fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 24, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lmao, I loving love this guy.

edit- A little insight into the man, courtesy of Matthew Sperling.

http://sperlinggrove.blogspot.com/2014/03/conversation-with-crackstyle-creator.html

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Love how he shaves his beard down to a neckbeard. EFro Forever.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any interest in a pauper or hell even an expensive format league on modo next week?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Modo leagues coming tonight. Anyone for a pauper league?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sickening posted:

If it is 1b , it is bitterblossom without life lost.

That you have to pay to activate, no flying.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

bonus edit:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
You see this board state?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
No black source?

E-he fetchdd the swamp awee hell yeah. Kazu Negri looking like he got punched in the gut.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Negri still reeling emotionally.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Let's all hope he gets in.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

GeneX posted:

does it really count as facial hair when it's a literal neckbeard

This, I've never seen more beards w/o moustaches than on scg. I also love the efro, shaves his cheeks down and only grows the beard under what would be his jawline.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Yessssah

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Pucatrade automation sounds great, anyone here do it?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ban his loving rear end.

Also white looks totally busted in #bfz limited because its got twice as many spoiled cards.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ari is a credit to his

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's kind of weird they got a brand-new artist for one of the full-art land cycles, seems like the sort of thing you'd give to someone particularly popular or prolific

Probably cause he's real active on social media.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Sidney Blair 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What about burning-tree emissary?

• Locked thread