Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I look forward to seeing what is done with Exploit, but I'm curious about why it is templated as it is, with the ability explained on it's own, with no inherent upside, then a condition printed separately. Going by things like Battalion, I would have expected something like:

quote:

Exploit - When Sidisi, Undead Vizier enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, you may search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

I notice that there is no condition that you sac another creature, so if you want a 5CMC Diabolic Tutor you got it. It's going to be a case of the effects provided, and if any good death triggers come around. Maybe Athreos's time to shine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Interested in seeing Anafenza with Dash dudes, but with her being WW it probably won't work in standard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've just noticed that new Sidisi, Zurgo and Anafenza all use their clan's mechanics. Does that mean we get another way to grant Rebound in Taigan? A trigger on the copy going off could be interesting.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 7, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mae posted:

Nah, we don't need a 4 mana wrath this standard.

I don't see that a point of mana is relevant to this match, and I think the mana for this standard makes 5 mana for a wrath completely playable overall.

Also Anger of the Gods and Drown in Sorrow would do work here.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 9, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So where does all the life come from in these GW games? I meant to watch and learn how it works but, you know, I got bored. Is it just in the mirror it happens?

alphabrawl posted:

Why hasn't the match gone to turns yet? I'm at the office watching this out the corner of my eye and this is just stupid.

Top 8 isn't against the clock, which is why it's counting up.

Edit: And why do Corey and Brad have different surnames?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Symphonie posted:

Mastery of the Unseen gives you 1 life for each creature you control when you flip a creature face up.

Yeah, knew about Mastery and Courser, I just figured that it couldn't come one point at a time. poo poo the bed.

Do none of these decks play End Hostilities? Wisperwood Elemental lets you keep guys on the board.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Elyv posted:

It's not; if you have 10 guys out and 2 Masteries and flip up a manifest, that's 20 life right there, for instance.

Oh right, that's a strange card. My comment regarding bed making GBS threads stands.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know it's intended to be put on an opponents creature, but any value that will be derived out of this card will be from casting it on your own ETB effect or some other combo piece. Otherwise it just says "enchanted creature has defender until its controller can get rid of this" which even in limited is barely useful semi-removal.

Definitely a wacky "try to build around me" bulk rare.

Stick it on Master of Waves. Gary would be good too except black devotion makes it fiddly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

JUND.... JIGGLES?

Junk was taken.

Junk (in the trunk).

Assristocrats.

Gruul Glutes.

Sel-rear end-nya.

Edit: JUNDERTHIGHS.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Froghammer posted:

Why the gently caress was anyone expecting them to put enemy-colored lands in a set that's all about allied colors again?

Innistrad had allied tribes and enemy land.

And I totally called Duress as a parallel to Despise!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I forget, was Virulent Plague spoiled before?

Because drat. Pretty solid middle finger at token strategies.

That seems harsh. It will only make sideboards, but it hits Elspeth and all the Hordeling decks hard.

E: and Rabblemaster! And sadly Secure the Wastea, which I otherwise like.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Balon posted:

This guy:

Totally seems like a house to me. 7/10 total p/t for 5 & sac? Looking forward to grabbing them in limited.

There are a ton of 3-toughness for 3 dudes in the set as well.

Worst case it's 2 bears for 5, completely playable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has it been said what happens if an exploit creature comes in and is killed in response to it's trigger. "May sac a creature" goes on the stack, but won't this prevent the second trigger for doing so?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

You don't give these matches away on free tv, you have to save them to bolster the PPV numbers.

Also no man-on-woman violence.

Nahiri and Nixilis cards for Zendikar would be sweet, myself I'm looking forward to vampire tribal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I quite like the Dragona promo one.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Couple of really good prereleases for me. First one I picked Dromoka, splashed red for a fairly synergistic Naya deck with warrior tribal (Blood Chin Rager, Arashin Foremost and Dromoka Captain) and Morph (Temur War Shaman) with decent conditional removal and bolster to make up for having few real beaters. The second I did today and I picked Silumgar, splashing white for Dragonlord Ojutai, with good fliers (sadly no other dragons) and Exploit with a promo zombie Sidisi. Not great removal though, probably my best option was to sac my Shambling Goblin to Silimgar Butcher to -4/-4 something, bigger stuff was a problem if I couldn't deathtouch them. I did at least have a Corpseweft to make either disposable bears to feed to exploit or make a game-ending beater, and enough fliers, including Palace Familiar, to make Soulflayer properly good. They only got in each other's way a couple of times, Flayer was my only Delve spell. And I got the Rakshasa that make zombies, some really fun cards.

This did lead to one of the most challenging and fun limited games I've ever played, the opponent ramped to a t5 Arashin Sovereign. I couldn't let it attack, so I used Reduce in Stature, and then had to figure out what to do next, as to swing with anything of more than 2 power means it blocks and gets recast, since I have no exile. We go into a sloggy, tit-for-tat exchange as I deal with his other guys one way or another, whilst unable to attack, until I'm able to cast Sidisi and use exploit to find Ojutai's Breath and get Ojutai herself out. I know the Sovereign came out t5 and if I cast those both it was at least t8, almost certainly later, probably at least my t12. I cast Breath in my next turn to keep the Sovereign from blocking for 3 turns, and get to swing and draw off Ojutai.

Commons of the weekend were probably Ojutai Interceptor and Marsh Hulk. No one ever expect as much backend as Hulk when blocking and expecting a big guy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

Exploit is such a fun mechanic. Sacrificing a Youthful Scholar to a Vulturous Aven and drawing 4 cards feels like you're doing something unfair.

Weirdly, I sacces Shambling Goblin to Silumgar Butcher several times for -4/-4, and Palace Familiar to Vulturous Avan for 3 cards, but never the other combinations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Entropic posted:

I just want enemy SOM fastlands.

Yeah, I'd like that. I think after the Zendikar fetch reprints that seem a lock now, I think that's the sort of thing they want to slot in between existing eternal staple duals, like Scry temples between Shocks and Fetches. Maybe they would be eternal contenders themselve, so too powerful, but I got the impression the M12/Innistrad buddy lands or Lorwyn filters would be the next candidates to facilitate that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

literally laughed out loud

Seriouspost, Thalia's original art is my current wallpaper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I spotted a funny interaction for the Origins flipwalkers. If I understand right, Liliana flickers to transform because she'd die for having no loyalty without the ETB.

So, Moonmist. Won't work on Nissa since she'll be an elf. Useful? Almost certainly no, but I like it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, Storm copys still happen if the cast spell is countered? Doesn't the Storm effect need to resolve with the rest of the spell?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've not been playing standard much lately, not as down on the format as some, just not much time, and I'd rather be drinking on Fridays. I just remembered GP London is in August, so I'm trying to make a plan to make myself ready. I guess try to play every weekend and decide on a deck, but it's like 2 weeks after Origins, which could change everything.

I'm probably doing myself no favours by really wanting to play Mardu. Best colours, and I dislike blue and green right now, or at least their mandatory cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Symphonie posted:

The flip effect is specifically worded to only trigger off her tap ability.

No it isn't. Attack, red spell, ping to flip. But she'd be removed by leathal combat damage and can't be saved by flipping.

And I think flip-Lili is pretty good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I don't have a proper standard deck right now, but will probably put BW warriors together to try it, but I think for the sake of winning tournaments (I'm going to GP London in August) I want to do either Abzan Aggro, for which I have almost everything but the land, or Mardu Dragon Aggro, for which I need Thunderbreaks and Stormbreaths. Anyone have any input on which represents a good way to go? I'm a bit concerned about spending a bunch on Stormbreaths for them to cycle out, likewise the Temples for Abzan. How are the decks doing now? I'm absolutely not playing another Abzan deck as I don't want to get Caryatids or Coursers. Partly I want to decide if I should put the Abzan stuff up for trade.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

I don't know about Mardu Dragons but Fingers in the brewhaus seems to be running a cool BW Warriors deck:

https://deckbox.org/sets/878022

In my experience it takes down most Abzan decks pretty easily. Tons of sideboard options too! I've had difficulty going against GR Atarka though.

I mean to try that, I just really like Crackling Doom. Mostly I'm caught up in worrying about "value". I feel I don't want to trade Flooded Strands, which will likely climb, for Stormbreaths, gone in 4 months.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

After a break from standard I'm trying to put a deck together, is it right I feel hesitant to trade fetches for Stormbreaths. Fetches will go up, Stormbreath will plummet. Mostly I'm annoyed someone dangled a trade of some of them for some Brimaz, then pulling out all of a sudden without warning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has much been written about the effect high-value constructed rares have on drafting MM? Skrillex will probably make your day but stink up your pool in limited.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Stormbreaths are kind of required. They are also cheaper than they have been in forever. Buy them.

Mardu dragons is a deck because it plays well against the bigger players.

There's two excellent reasons to play it in the name.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is Bitterblossom in any decks now? It seems pretty expensive for a card noone plays.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Looking at the packaging I like that when all of the characters had their spark ignite they got some new facial marking, excluding chandra who got fiery hair and gideon who got ENHANCED SIDEBURNS

Isn't that the Spear of Heliod?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Krasis also indicates this is a 10 pair cycle, and the three we've seen all seem strong. Come on BW!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bwahaha, I couldn't get rid of my GP Goblin Guides! Guess it could be countered by a BFZ reprint.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How seriously do we think BFZ will not have enemy fetches now the painlands have been spoiked? Debating shifting my Marsh Flats. I mean, it seems like a big part of the reason they'd return to the setting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Hearthstone has drafting, right? How do they get around in between rounds dead time?

The draft itself is done in isolation, you pick one card from 3 until you have a deck, and you are not tied to other players, you play when you want and are paired at that point. You can put it down for days and return, you don't aim to win a tournament, only to keep winning as long as possible.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

4/0 at my fnm with mardu dragons and probably got more packs than I would probably ever want. Couldn't find anyone to buy my packs so I busted them all.

Only card of note was chandra. whomp whomp

What was your list? I've only been doing okay with mine. Also the promo Path isn't nothing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Equilibrium posted:

Liliana's pretty good.

How's she being used? I'm guessing she was on a stream?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

sarmhan posted:

Even then having 10 fetches severely limits the designs you can make using landfall.

This doesn't even touch on the other elephant in the room that makes 10 fetchlands in standard really unlikely- shuffling. This was a huge reason it took so long for enemy fetches to see print, and allied fetches to get reprinted. Having people playing 10+ fetchlands in their standard decks would get really tiring, really quickly.

The elephant is part of a herd- Delve gets better with more fetches. Unless a few playable Eldrazi come out to discourage it.

So hmm. I sold 2 Marsh Flats, kept 2 after paying $5-10 each for them, guess I did okay. Could be interesting to see what Maro is so excited about for the new lands.

^^ Could be, doesn't look exactly the same, or maybe they follow the Nahiri model and made a legendary/walker based on it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If there's going to be full art land, I think we can expect some land matters theme.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

It's actually a fringe deck right now despite it being great.

I was just expecting mono red and other decks to play against from time to time.

Could you post a list somewhere? I'm not happy with my deck yet and GP London is next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Deck: Mardu Dragons

//Lands
2 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
3 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Urborg

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
4 Draconic Roar
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Outpost Siege
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Wild Slash

//Creatures
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent

//Sideboard
2 Crux of Fate
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Revoke Existence

Display deck statistics

Sideboard mvp of hallowed moonlight and revoke existance.

Went undefeated in a pool of about 42 with the deck above. Play against r/u artifacts, g/r devotion, b/u pact, mono red, sultai control, azban control, and rally for the finals. The rally player went full salt mode when he was taken by surprise from hallowed moonlight and got snowballed. Most satisfying night of magic ever.

Perhaps it's a discussion for the Brewhaus, but what do you make of the versions that drop Rabblemaster and Seeker and maindeck Elspeth and Ugin, like was on the [url=http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/perilous-research/taking-down-establishment-standard-after-pro-tour-origins-2015-08]Wizards site a few days ago? I tried that at Game Day (but didn't have Ugin or quite enough Wild Slash) and didn't do amazingly. Why are you using Dragonlord Kolaghan over the original? The ability doesn't seem so good in a format with Delve.

And any tips for sideboarding your deck? I guess my main questions are what do you use Moonlight for, when you kill a Hangarback? And what do you drop and when?

• Locked thread