Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as you know I love me some unreal engine 4 and now that poo poo is mother fuckin free!

the idiot projects thread is getting a bit poo poo up with it and if people are gona be fukin around with it they might as well post and ask in this thread

feel free to ask me about BluePrints, the way to not code at all and make shiny rectangles in minutes not days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a question op have you shipped any games in the unreal engine?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

actually on itch.io you can download rod rocket deep alpha and pay me money. is that called shipping

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i noticed though and i've been thinking about trying it out. i'm a real programmer so it should be a snap for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i noticed though and i've been thinking about trying it out. i'm a real programmer so it should be a snap for me

same but im an idea guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

same but im an idea guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets team up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i can contrinute NOthoing to the Prokect not een time. and I WONT RESPOND TO Emails.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I require insane pay for my ideas

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i downloaded this today to compare w/ unity. we'll see how it goes for my 100x game dev adventure!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity/index.html

well there u go a guide written for going from
unity to ue4

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
gonna download it and just have it sit on my harddrive because "i'll get back into game development again some day"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

imo unless you're serious about it, and just want a taste or what ue4 can do blueprints would get you going faster than learning the c++ boilerplate

says someone who has never tried to code ue4

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
does anyone know if you can code in c# or somethign that isnt c++ but not the blueprints for children?

anyway ima download this shti after work

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
no.

though their license agreement explicitly allows adding language bindings etc.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

does anyone know if you can code in c# or somethign that isnt c++ but not the blueprints for children?

anyway ima download this shti after work

go

pram
Jun 10, 2001
http://golang.org/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

aw, oh well. It'll be good practice for me to go get a job in teh games indust...ahahahahaha

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah, just let me spend hours and hours learning a complex and finnicky language so i can make half of my current salary and work longer hours

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
looking at the unity->ue4 docs, ue4's C++ naming conventions are gross Windows C++ Programmer ickiness. your custom class that inherits Actor? name it starting with A, like ASomeGameObject. and they do that godawful prefixing of bool variables with "b", like bIsPlayerDead

but still, way more powerful that Unity, you don't need to lug around Mono on non-Windows platforms, and you can do the basic poo poo in C++ and then use BluePrint for instance-specific customizations.

edit: here goes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Doc Block posted:

you don't need to lug around Mono on non-Windows platform
but you can if you want!! :getin:
https://mono-ue.github.io/

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

:magical: :chloe: :ohdear:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would generally say only drop into c++ when you can't pull off with BPs.. or maybe you're serious and not just fuckin around making a stupid multi ball grab simulator

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, just let me spend hours and hours learning a complex and finnicky language so i can make half of my current salary and work longer hours

don't take it so seriously. instead of going out drinking Saturday night crank open ue4 and make a block that moves to the left when you hit space!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

don't take it so seriously. instead of going out drinking Saturday night crank open ue4 and make a block that moves to the left when you hit space!

but i can do that in 2 minutes with css and javascript and get paid 2x median wage and claim it was an entire days work

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah but can you do it in 3d with physically-based rendering?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unreal engine has a world class sound engine and your cube could fart and you could hear it in stereo sound

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hyper-real graphics and world-class sound means that when you're tonguing that digital fartbox like you're really there!‼

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
or you can literally just drop this onto your webpage

http://theonion.github.io/fartscroll.js/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol i just realized that i forgot to remove fartscroll.js from my companies website before i left my last job

like you need to set a query param for it to work but without the param it still downloads fartscroll.js if you visit their site

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol i just realized that i forgot to remove fartscroll.js from my companies website before i left my last job

like you need to set a query param for it to work but without the param it still downloads fartscroll.js if you visit their site

Guess u shouldn't use them 4 a reference

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
lmbo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

unreal was a p fun game

has anyone made a p fun game in unreal engine platform sdk 4?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who keeps power probing pagancow?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a valiant and noble hero

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Breakfast All Day posted:

unreal was a p fun game

no not really games aren't meant to be fun anymkre

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did paagncow post in fyad??

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

unreal was a p fun game

there is a new unreal tournament in a p unplayabe state

you can do shock combos though, so it seems complete enough to me

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my five year old is loving playing the Lego movie game for the 26th time

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

no he seems to be doing it through some loophole lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theadder posted:

pram posted:

no he seems to be doing it through some loophole lol

yes, he did. but its in the archives. wich is why the probe reason is blank.

• Locked thread