Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did he post the memes????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

yes, he did. but its in the archives. wich is why the probe reason is blank.

what was it lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

steves graven image in there despicable

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

pram posted:

what was it lol

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1227842&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post291068560

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i dont haev archives :negative:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
in 2004!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol wrong codec

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so i tried the mac UT4 pre alpha thing

and it worked fine for all maps except the default one

which ran at a good frame rate most of the time but just randomly chunked loading assets, then repeatedly chunked loading those same assets when i turned back around

it didnt even touch my VRAM so idk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
unreal engine 4.7.1 on OS X 20 minute trip report:

slow as hell, buggy as hell

edit: the editor follows my mouse around even when another app has focus. Like, as I type this in Safari, if I move the mouse around (entirely within Safari's window), I can see poo poo getting highlighted in UnrealEd behind it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 3, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

unreal engine 4.7.1 on OS X 20 minute trip report:

slow as hell, buggy as hell

edit: the editor follows my mouse around even when another app has focus. Like, as I type this in Safari, if I move the mouse around (entirely within Safari's window), I can see poo poo getting highlighted in UnrealEd behind it.

seems like your operating system is a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

echinopsis posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for reference or context I don't actually think ue4 editor is an excellent piece of software. there are numerous niggly things I don't like about it but mostly are minor and don't affect my game making . I like it because it lets me make what I want quickly and easily and I can see the results virtually instantly

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

for whatever reason My First Unreal Engine Level runs fine in the editor, but when I set it to launch as a separate app the performance goes to poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not sure if Mac has same options but the "run in new editor window" gives good performance, like the editor, but as a new app it doesn't. something to do with the editor stops to play game if you run in editor but as new app it doesn't

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

macs provide all the options you need

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So Unity 5 is out, free with no royalties, and you get all engine features. There are some optional, non-engine things you can get in the $75/month Pro version, like Unity Analytics, but it appears you get all the actual engine features in the free version.

Realtime global illumination, physically-based rendering, PhysX 3.3, etc., free with no royalties. Plus they finally added iOS 64-bit support, and have Metal support as well (UE4 has had both of those for a while AFAIK).

Still gonna give UE4 and honest try, but drat is it slow as gently caress on Macs.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
To be fair, though, we're talking about a 2011 iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M (with only 512MB VRAM).

Still, I would've thought a basic scene with a wall, a floor, and that round table that comes in the starter content pack should be able to get more than 35FPS.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that once built and running? or in the editor. although tbh my experience is that it doesnt matter much
in the runnning game hit ` to enter the console and use "stat net" and it will tell you if its the draw, gpu or game thats taking up time

i get significantly more fps than that but ive a 4690i5 w/2GB gpu

i mean, i thnk the graphics engine is efficient, given some of the enourmous amounts of assets some people are having in they games

also the ue4 analytics thing is awesome, it gives you millisecond breakdowns for every single thing that its doing

and i

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

...go on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a secret

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Doc Block posted:

So Unity 5 is out, free with no royalties, and you get all engine features. There are some optional, non-engine things you can get in the $75/month Pro version, like Unity Analytics, but it appears you get all the actual engine features in the free version.

Realtime global illumination, physically-based rendering, PhysX 3.3, etc., free with no royalties. Plus they finally added iOS 64-bit support, and have Metal support as well (UE4 has had both of those for a while AFAIK).

Still gonna give UE4 and honest try, but drat is it slow as gently caress on Macs.

engine fight! engine fight!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

for whatever reason My First Unreal Engine Level runs fine in the editor, but when I set it to launch as a separate app the performance goes to poo poo.

its Linux so you probably have to configure your windowing environment to use acceleration for specific executables.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

engine fight! engine fight!

Pretty much.

Meanwhile, Gamebryo is like "Hey remember us?" and John Carmack turns to face the camera, a single tear rolling down his cheek

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
carmack has his hands full of rocketships and oculus rifts so i don't think he could care too much right now

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i think carmack is done with rockets. the armadillo aerospace website hasn't been updated since early 2013, and all his tweets are about oculus and 3D graphics.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gamebryo has inferior shadows which is why its so horrible. other than that its looks ok skyrim was gorgeous in places

makes we wonder who was first to do free, if ue4 did it first or unity weas going to do it, and ue4 got wind and beat them

anyway, good enws for game developors, bad news for anything wanting to choose a game. the market is so saturatead as it is now its going to be shocking

gta5 out for pc soon thop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

its Linux so you probably have to configure your windowing environment to use acceleration for specific executables.

tbf it even on windows it runs horrible in that situation.

two ue4s seem to run worse than 2 x 1 ue4 idk why (sometimes i do that to copy and past between projects)

doc are you coding or using blueprints

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I haven't done either yet. All I got the chance to do yesterday was put in a floor, a wall, that round table, and then wonder why it ran so poorly. will look into it more tonight.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
can we post about game maker studio, a piece of development software that is free, itt

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that the CoC game programming thread is full of people complaining about not being able to use C# for UE4 like they can in Unity.

The actual UE4 forum thread linked to in there has a guy complaining that he can't use Delphi "because he has 15 years of Delphi programming experience".

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Doc Block posted:

The actual UE4 forum thread linked to in there has a guy complaining that he can't use Delphi "because he has 15 years of Delphi programming experience".

in his defense i had to work on a delphi codebase for a week once and would describe it the same way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if they want babies first game coding they have blueprints available to them and readig Tim sweenies Defense of c++ for ue4 is quite good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Breakfast All Day posted:

in his defense i had to work on a delphi codebase for a week once and would describe it the same way

He wanted to keep using Delphi. Like, use it to make UE4 games. He has 15 years of Delphi experience and seems to refuse to learn anything else.

UE4's license says you can use whatever language bindings you want, and can even publish them for others to use, but they have to be free and open source.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
whats cool about Unity is that you could ship a game on the Xbox One/PS4 using javascript

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

if they want babies first game coding they have blueprints available to them and readig Tim sweenies Defense of c++ for ue4 is quite good

The guy from the studio making their own C# binding just so they can keep on making Unity games but with UE4 instead seems to kinda miss the point. UE4 is written in C++, and having all your game code be C++ all the way from bottom to top means you can actually add new object types, expose new functionality to BluePrint, etc., whereas to keep things sane that guy's studio is adding their C# binding at the BluePrints layer, so all they can do is build upon the public BluePrint API exposed by the C++ classes.

Can't wait to get enough time off to start digging into UE4.

• Locked thread