Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
btw the sun temple under the learn tab is the most impressive example of the graphics ue4 so far, just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
ue4 is great but idk how comfortable i am with the prospect of those dudes owning 5% of my game forever

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
95% of something is greater than 100% of nothing

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
spose so but if you're doing the kind of development that would preclude just buying a license (first-game super small-time indie stuff) i would imagine that unity or game maker is just a better option. maybe i'm totally wrong about that, i don't know to what degree ue4 is better but i wonder for how many people it's going to be 5% profit share better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nayato posted:

ue4 is great but idk how comfortable i am with the prospect of those dudes owning 5% of my game forever

only 5% if you make 30k or more a quarter

also i hear they flexible on that perhaps

ue4 is good in the sense that its an enourmously powerful engine capable of AAA games. if you dont need that, then yeah there probably isnt huge advantage

for me the advantage is not having to code a thing and with little effort my games look nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also the idea of making >30k a quarter from a game seems insane to me, if i was i would be ok with 5% coz at least id have a job. also isnt app store like 330$%

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

also the idea of making >30k a quarter from a game seems insane to me, if i was i would be ok with 5% coz at least id have a job. also isnt app store like 330$%

i thought it was 3k per quarter, app store takes 30% i believe yes

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

echinopsis posted:

star citizen pulls in a cool 3 milly a month lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's nice for them. rod games will never achieve that

Valeyard posted:

i thought it was 3k per quarter, app store takes 30% i believe yes

pretty sure it's 30k not 3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nayato posted:

idk dude have u ever done business like with normal business poo poo? there are fees out the rear end with anything. Credit card processorts charge like 3% for some poo poo, idk. SquareUp is legendarily cheap at 2.75% flat. I use a salesforce clones/credit card processor service that charges like a huge amount of money. 5% for free super expensive dev tools seems reasonable as hell to me. but hell im not a computer professional and squirtintly not a game dev so what the gently caress do i know

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's only $3k/quarter, not $30k.

5% is nothing, even if it is 5% of gross revenue & funding for that game. The App Store, Steam, etc take way more.

Unity 5 is only free until (or unless) your organization makes $100k/yr. Not for individual games that make under $100k, but if your whole company makes more than $100k/yr you gotta pay up.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 4, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, it's only $3k/quarter, not $30k.

oh. still id be stoked to make that much

how do they keep track iof it anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

if they think you're making a lot of money they sue you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jokes on them! i sell my game for bitcoins

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

AFAIK you have to tell them about your game. or, I imagine, if they see a cool new game, find out it uses UE4 but the dev never e-mailed them prior to release/app store submission, they'll ask the dev to pay up.

and they reserve the right to audit you. and if you don't comply with the audit they'll sue.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So I got a chance to watch some of the UE4 tutorial videos, and LOL UE4 uses X and Y as the horizontal axes and Z as the vertical axis :doh:

Tim Sweeny why...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 6, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because z is vertical

think in world space, not screen space

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna make checkpoint for exploration river game

made some thin platforms for moving I ... kinda fun

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

wanna make checkpoint for exploration river game

made some thin platforms for moving I ... kinda fun

so you want to remake amazon trail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who knows

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

So I got a chance to watch some of the UE4 tutorial videos, and LOL UE4 uses X and Y as the horizontal axes and Z as the vertical axis :doh:

Tim Sweeny why...

This is the correct way to do three-dimensional coordinates.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea what I'm
doing

I take the post post post philosophy of YOSPOS and translate it to game design

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know that picture of a guy with lots of abandoned projects always starting something new?

his mistake was not just always adding new idea into same game

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have 2 friends who got batheclors degrees in video game design ....................

pram
Jun 10, 2001
make a game where you fly a rocket down a river

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

i have 2 friends who got batheclors degrees in video game design ....................

proud fullsail alumnus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

what, how is that even a degree?

those things are always certificate programs (i.e. money fires) up here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

proud fullsail alumnus

columbia college chicago my man. much more expensive than full sail

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

have they put their valuable education to good use?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

because z is vertical

think in world space, not screen space

Rahu posted:

This is the correct way to do three-dimensional coordinates.

plenty of programs use X and Z as horizontal and Y as vertical. lightwave & maya both have Y as up. hell, so does unity3D.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blender, my reference softare.. z is verticle

regardless its just a choice. the universe doesnt care. adapt and move on

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
the best things in life are actually extremely expensive.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
motorcycles? expensive. cool houses b ythe beach? hella expensive. fat tatties? well that depends on the tity in question but it can go either way. that can go either way.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i didnt know full sail (lol)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

wesley snypes posted:

motorcycles? expensive. cool houses b ythe beach? hella expensive. fat tatties? well that depends on the tity in question but it can go either way. that can go either way.

u can get groupon boob implants lol

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
in 2013 breast implants were by far the most common plastic surgery, & more than half of all patients returned for other work.. hosed up how so many women feel uncomfortable in their own skin, no doubt influecned by the MEDIA

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
BUT, faced w/ a dearth of giant tits.. maybe this is th lesser evil??? we may never know

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i bought satan woman a poo poo load of plastic surgery

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
did that make her company more bearable or just heap buyers remorse onto your giant pile of existing probs w/ helllady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the easiest way to get big rear end titties is to date a fat chick

• Locked thread