Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
no.

though their license agreement explicitly allows adding language bindings etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
looking at the unity->ue4 docs, ue4's C++ naming conventions are gross Windows C++ Programmer ickiness. your custom class that inherits Actor? name it starting with A, like ASomeGameObject. and they do that godawful prefixing of bool variables with "b", like bIsPlayerDead

but still, way more powerful that Unity, you don't need to lug around Mono on non-Windows platforms, and you can do the basic poo poo in C++ and then use BluePrint for instance-specific customizations.

edit: here goes

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

:magical: :chloe: :ohdear:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah but can you do it in 3d with physically-based rendering?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
unreal engine 4.7.1 on OS X 20 minute trip report:

slow as hell, buggy as hell

edit: the editor follows my mouse around even when another app has focus. Like, as I type this in Safari, if I move the mouse around (entirely within Safari's window), I can see poo poo getting highlighted in UnrealEd behind it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 3, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

seems like your operating system is a piece of poo poo

for whatever reason My First Unreal Engine Level runs fine in the editor, but when I set it to launch as a separate app the performance goes to poo poo.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So Unity 5 is out, free with no royalties, and you get all engine features. There are some optional, non-engine things you can get in the $75/month Pro version, like Unity Analytics, but it appears you get all the actual engine features in the free version.

Realtime global illumination, physically-based rendering, PhysX 3.3, etc., free with no royalties. Plus they finally added iOS 64-bit support, and have Metal support as well (UE4 has had both of those for a while AFAIK).

Still gonna give UE4 and honest try, but drat is it slow as gently caress on Macs.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
To be fair, though, we're talking about a 2011 iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M (with only 512MB VRAM).

Still, I would've thought a basic scene with a wall, a floor, and that round table that comes in the starter content pack should be able to get more than 35FPS.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

engine fight! engine fight!

Pretty much.

Meanwhile, Gamebryo is like "Hey remember us?" and John Carmack turns to face the camera, a single tear rolling down his cheek

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i think carmack is done with rockets. the armadillo aerospace website hasn't been updated since early 2013, and all his tweets are about oculus and 3D graphics.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I haven't done either yet. All I got the chance to do yesterday was put in a floor, a wall, that round table, and then wonder why it ran so poorly. will look into it more tonight.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that the CoC game programming thread is full of people complaining about not being able to use C# for UE4 like they can in Unity.

The actual UE4 forum thread linked to in there has a guy complaining that he can't use Delphi "because he has 15 years of Delphi programming experience".

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Breakfast All Day posted:

in his defense i had to work on a delphi codebase for a week once and would describe it the same way

He wanted to keep using Delphi. Like, use it to make UE4 games. He has 15 years of Delphi experience and seems to refuse to learn anything else.

UE4's license says you can use whatever language bindings you want, and can even publish them for others to use, but they have to be free and open source.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

if they want babies first game coding they have blueprints available to them and readig Tim sweenies Defense of c++ for ue4 is quite good

The guy from the studio making their own C# binding just so they can keep on making Unity games but with UE4 instead seems to kinda miss the point. UE4 is written in C++, and having all your game code be C++ all the way from bottom to top means you can actually add new object types, expose new functionality to BluePrint, etc., whereas to keep things sane that guy's studio is adding their C# binding at the BluePrints layer, so all they can do is build upon the public BluePrint API exposed by the C++ classes.

Can't wait to get enough time off to start digging into UE4.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's only $3k/quarter, not $30k.

5% is nothing, even if it is 5% of gross revenue & funding for that game. The App Store, Steam, etc take way more.

Unity 5 is only free until (or unless) your organization makes $100k/yr. Not for individual games that make under $100k, but if your whole company makes more than $100k/yr you gotta pay up.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

oh. still id be stoked to make that much

how do they keep track iof it anyway

AFAIK you have to tell them about your game. or, I imagine, if they see a cool new game, find out it uses UE4 but the dev never e-mailed them prior to release/app store submission, they'll ask the dev to pay up.

and they reserve the right to audit you. and if you don't comply with the audit they'll sue.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So I got a chance to watch some of the UE4 tutorial videos, and LOL UE4 uses X and Y as the horizontal axes and Z as the vertical axis :doh:

Tim Sweeny why...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

because z is vertical

think in world space, not screen space

Rahu posted:

This is the correct way to do three-dimensional coordinates.

plenty of programs use X and Z as horizontal and Y as vertical. lightwave & maya both have Y as up. hell, so does unity3D.

• Locked thread