Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

What's this, then?

Miasmata is an exploration heavy adventure game. Action is near nonexistent, being a slower more thoughtful experience.

You are Robert Hughes; A medical man made meager by the proverbial plague polluting the population. Hughes will die if he does nothing, but fortunately he knows of the research outpost on Eden Island! There he will travel to find adventure, cartography, medicines, and murder.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad rear end! Who made this?

The Brothers Johnson, Joe and Bob. Joe wrote the MILO engine for the game from the ground up, and... Yeah. It shows.
The game took them about 4 years. Even though Miasmata has its problems, I find the details and ambiance shows the love they put in. Eden is HUGE and varied. There are at least five kinds of biomes on the island and plenty of ruins, trails, and encampments to keep a person busy. I can honestly say, after playing it a couple of times, I know there are things I haven't seen.

What's the plan, man?

I will lead your through the island, showing off the many medicines, but focusing on the Ephesis drugs, which improve your performance, and the three parts of the cure. Then I'll show you where to escape. The process will take a while. There's no need to rush.

Along the way we'll uncover a mystery by piecing together notes, journal entries, and photographs of the previous inhabitants. I may not get all the notes, but I'll drat well try.
Those notes will be linked to in the thread.

Update scheduled should be about two or three times a week, with exception of the middle of March, when me and my wife will head south for a short vacation.

Enough text. Lets get in the saddle and skedadle. Everyone to the boat! We're heading to Eden! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Video Entries

Notes and Photos

Page 1: Plague Cure
Page 2: White/Pink Viola
Page 3: Basic Medicine
Page 4: Pink-White Prairie Flower
Page 5: Extra Strength Medicine
Page 6: Mapping A
Page 7: Mapping B
Page 8: Outpost Draco
Page 9: Pendergraft and Professor Dagless Photos
Page 10: Swamp Trail
Page 11: Grey Shelf Fungus
Page 12: Red Toadstool
Page 13: Sunflower
Page 14: Mental Stimulant
Page 15: Clarity Tonic
Page 16: Pearl-Blue Shelf Fungus
Page 17: Outpost Vega
Page 18: White Spiked Prairie Flower
Page 19: White Bundle Prairie Flower
Page 20: Herbert Gouhs' Fear
Page 21: Kallas is Nationalistic
Page 22: How to Create Medicines
Page 23: How to Research a Plant or Fungus
Page 24: Endurance Emphasis Drug
Page 25: Medicine List
Page 26: Location of Algae
Page 27: Notes on Basic Medicine
Page 28: Tropical Buttercup
Page 29: Anti-Hallucination Medicine
Page 30: Blue-Capped Toadstool
Page 31: Herbert's Crazy Letter to Ozwalt
Page 32: Journal May 13th, 16th
Page 33: Sponge-Like Fungus
Page 34: Bio-Luminescent Algae
Page 35: Trumpet Mushroom
Page 36: Brain Emphasis
Page 37: Potency Enhancers
Page 38: Chancellor Kallas
Page 39: Giant Bloom Maps
Page 40: Pawn-Shaped Mushroom
Page 41: Red-Green Tree Fungus
Page 42: Giant Bloom
Page 43: Endurance Emphasis Drug
Page 44: Kallas is a dick
Page 45: The Maiden and the fat woman
Page 46: Map to Outpost Tau
Page 47: The Academy burns
Page 48: Notes on Plant X
Page 49: Fabaceae
Page 50: Fleshy Purple Fruit
Page 51: Yellow Mushroom
Page 52: Herculean Tonic
Page 54: Muscle Emphasis Ingredients
Page 55: Mysterious Blue Fungus
Page 56: Synthesis of Agent X
Page 57: Energy Stimulants
Page 58: Mental Clarity Tonics
Page 59: Large Jungle Flower
Page 60: Muscle Emphasis Drug
Page 61: Fleshy Rooted Plant
Page 62: Blue Scaly Fungus
Page 63: Brown Shelf Fungus
Page 64: Bulbous, Fruit Plant
Page 65: Agent X - Primary Antibiotic
Page 66: Flower and Fruit maps
Page 67: Violet Cactus
Page 68: Pink Spotted Lily
Page 69: Mushroom Maps
Page 70: Prickly Pear
Page 71: Photos of Kallas being a dick
Page 72: Common White Mushroom
Page 73: Orange Prairie Flower
Page 74: Orchid Map
Page 75: Map to Boat Landing
Page 76: Herbert is Acting Strange
Page 77: Carnivorous Trap Plant
Page 78: Rainbow Orchid
Page 79: Agent Y - Anti-Toxin
Page 80: Making a Brain Emphasis Drug
Page 81: Herbert's Sabotage
Page 82: Map to Outpost Sirius
Page 83: Map to Enormous Plant
Page 84: News Article about Plauge
Page 85: Synthesis of Agent Z
Page 86: Isabells's Poem
Page 87: Map of Outpost Rigel
Page 88: Photos of Plague Victims
Page 89: Titan Plant
Page 90: Wood Gill Fungus
Page 91: Nepenthes Viri info
Page 92: Prescient Owls
Page 93: Map to Pitcher Plant
Page 94: Carnivorous Pitcher Plant
Page 95: Agent Z-Adjuvant
Page 96: I'M CURED!
Page 97: Sanchez Likes Heads
Page 98: Indigo Asteraceae

Reserved for Other Items of Extra Ordinary Magnitude

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2015

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Well color me interested.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
When I first got it, I hated it, but the premise was interesting and I ended up loving the game. I haven't seen everything, but it was so much fun. Got a little annoying at the end, but otherwise great

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kinda reminds me of a cross between Far Cry 2 and Pathologic. Disappointed by the lack of pisswizards thus far though.

Is there any combat or action in the game, or is it entirely wandering around, exploring and stealing plants? I noticed you saying that you can't do anything to the wildlife, so I'm guessing animal attacks aren't a thing?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I REALLY wanted to like this game, but I have horrible sense of direction and always got lost as soon as I had to travel inland. Wandering around at night for half an hour is not fun. :negative:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 3, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kinda reminds me of a cross between Far Cry 2 and Pathologic. Disappointed by the lack of pisswizards thus far though.

Is there any combat or action in the game, or is it entirely wandering around, exploring and stealing plants? I noticed you saying that you can't do anything to the wildlife, so I'm guessing animal attacks aren't a thing?

I'll tell you up front, you have see almost all the mechanics of the game. There is no real combat.

And I apologize for the lack of piss.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
You have an amazing documentary-like voice.

I actually own this game on gog but never got around to playing it so this works out great haha.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

coleman francis posted:

You have an amazing documentary-like voice.

Thanks for saying so. I've always felt the need for a speech therapist, personally. I have a nasty habit of slurring my words and verbal type-o's.

Onwards, to the swamps!

Page 14: Mental Stimulant
Page 15: Clarity Tonic
Page 16: Pearl-Blue Shelf Fungus
Page 17: Outpost Vega
Page 18: White Spiked Prairie Flower
Page 19: White Bundle Prairie Flower
Page 20: Herbert Gouhs' Fear
Page 21: Kallas is Nationalistic
Page 22: How to Create Medicines
Page 23: How to Research a Plant or Fungus

Here's what much of the Let's Play will actually consist of. Walking, Talking, finding plants. There's a lot of terrain to cover. Literally.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 4, 2015

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
One of my absolute favorite games of the last few years. I keep getting the urge to replay it and end up buying it for someone else instead.

I had forgotten my Pavlovian reaction of relief to the little "doo-doo-doot" when you save. I should make it my phone notification sound. The sound design in general for this game is probably one of its strongest suits, as you've observed.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Robert definitely seems the type to be sequestered in a safe warm lab to do experiments. Outside is too dangerous, though I'd love it if you access 3rd person view and he's covered in foam padding.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

I must watch this LP if only for the title.

Also for a good game.

But also the title.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I really enjoyed this game and I urge you to play it instead of watching it or reading about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

I really enjoyed this game and I urge you to play it instead of watching it or reading about it.

I did try to play it a few times but I quickly discovered that I am terrible at orienteering and would quickly become completely lost after taking maybe 30 steps off a trail, especially if that trail isn't well kept. Walk forward instead of turning with the trail, notice 20 seconds later, try to turn around 180 degrees but instead turn slightly over or slightly under, walk another 20 seconds and not find the trail, try to turn 180 degrees again, fail, repeat. I was fine for these beginning areas at least, and did find the mapping system to be pretty neat and something that other games should consider adopting in some fashion.

If nothing else it made me appreciate just how serious "Stay on the trail!" warnings actually are.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I loved this game. I really would encourage anyone who likes this so far to play it for themselves. I just love the way movement sounds and feels right on the varied terrain (odd downhill motion notwithstanding).

The music, minimal as it is, is beautiful. And luckily we didn't get the wrong Brothers Johnson doing the soundtrack.

I considered LPing this once, but my machine can barely show it as is, let alone record it in a watchable manner. I think among the problems of doing an engine yourself is the lack of tweaking that extensive testing and a dedicated team can add. Apparently performance was even worse when the game was first released.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grimwit posted:

And I apologize for the lack of piss.

Will we at least get burgs?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Me too, bad sense of direction not withstanding.
Getting lost is one of the feelings I love, especially in these situations where the terrain is veried enough that I could conceivably recognize where I am.

Kangra posted:

Apparently performance was even worse when the game was first released.

Oh man, I believe it. The programing is certainly... "customized." Not that I wish to devalue the Brothers Johnson their achievement. This is far beyond what I was capable of programing even in my prime.

New Update, this time is Head Puns.
it was only a mater of time

Journal Entries...
Page 24: Endurance Emphasis Drug
Page 25: Medicine List
Page 26: Location of Algae
Page 27: Notes on Basic Medicine
Page 28: Tropical Buttercup
Page 29: Anti-Hallucination Medicine
Page 30: Blue-Capped Toadstool
Page 31: Herbert's Crazy Letter to Ozwalt
Page 32: Journal May 13th, 16th
Page 33: Sponge-Like Fungus

P.S. Me and hte wife are headed south for the next week. New video will have to wait until Next Friday? Maybe Monday? You know how it is.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I hesitate to call this game beautiful, but it is beautifully realistic. And it is realistic enough for me to say that no, this is not a tropical island. All this time you've been trekking through a recognizable temperate decidious forest biome.

Is the upper third of the screen constantly turning grey part of preformance problems, or is it an intented effect that shows our hero's sight dimming?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress this next part. This is where I gave up on the game, because I would always end up irremediably lost. There were never enough reference points to triangulate my position, which led to no new known reference points. Add total darkness, and you have a recipe for frustration.

Watching the videos, it seems that you do a lot more wandering around and pixel hunt than I did, so I assume it was mostly my own fault.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Lokapala posted:

Is the upper third of the screen constantly turning grey part of preformance problems, or is it an intented effect that shows our hero's sight dimming?

Seems to happen more after recording than during gameplay, especially when it rains. Something having trouble rendering.

Fat Samurai posted:

gently caress this next part. This is where I gave up on the game, because I would always end up irremediably lost. There were never enough reference points to triangulate my position, which led to no new known reference points. Add total darkness, and you have a recipe for frustration.

Now that there's no map to follow, I'm going to end up using the Mental Tonic more. It shows your possition on the map if you've mapped it or not. I think that was the Bros. Johnson answer to that problem, but it doesn't always help.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I bought this game a while ago, and seeing this thread got me to actually install it and give it a try. So far I have 2 crashes to desktop in 23 minutes of playing. Now, my PC may be getting a little on the old side by now, but it can run plenty of modern mainstream games just fine, so something is terribly amiss.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
This game seems pretty cool. The engine is really something else too. It reminds me of Trespasser, what with the wonkiness and only ever seeing your character's arms. It still seems to handle a whole island with many particular details and no loading screens pretty well. I just love it when we analyze something and we just cut a piece of a cylindrical chunk of plant matter. Also, being a chemist, the lab descriptions just slay me. "Yeah, sure, here're my good ole' bottles of H3O+Cl- and C5H2N7O1"

The game really does the whole exploration theme very well. I mean, I could never play it since my sense of orientation is awful. I guess that's what that tonic that reveals your position on the map is there for? We've yet to see you use any of the medicines.

Do the plants respawn? Can you reuse the save spots and water jugs?

PS: Telluric just means anything related to earth (the planet and just ground in general). So yeah, it's just a made up name for the scientists' homeland.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lokapala posted:

The slight 'vignetting' effect is a sign of fatigue, if that's what you're referring to. It shows up at the corners and usually goes away when you drink, unless you need to sleep.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
I Just have to say. This Robert guy is the best journal keeper in all of video games.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

This reminds me of my time hiking in Scotland and using a compass for the first time. We got horribly lost and ended up staring down two ravines and a huge deerfence.

I really like your LP. It's a very relaxing experience that works well with your voice.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
My experience with this LP is much like my experience with the game; I keep falling asleep.

Not that you're doing a bad job of presenting the game or being boring or what have you, this game is just really good at lulling me to sleep. Or compels me to make Robert run headlong off a cliff. No idea why, but I've never had a play session of this game not end with me stumbling around, half asleep, until I fall to Roberts death.

I look forward to seeing the part of this game that I will never make it to (basically all of it).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This game seems like one of those games I like to watch, rather than play. I am, like others in this thread, rubbish at cartography, so I'd get lost immediately. I'd also fall off a cliff and break my everything, because my spatial awareness when playing a video game isn't very good, either.

This is kind of an Elder Scrolls game, too: exploration-heavy, first-person, lore-based storytelling, open-world, weird physics. No combat though, so far; I think that makes it better, somehow.

I'll have to say, as an aside, the "drinking-water-from-a-bottle" animation is just so adorably janky.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I really enjoyed the Crypt Worlds LP and I'm glad you're doing this game. I got about halfway through this game but never finished it, and when I tried to go back to it after a couple weeks I was hopelessly lost. I'm interested to see how the rest turns out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

zerosix posted:

I Just have to say. This Robert guy is the best journal keeper in all of video games.

I think The Nameless One from Planescape:Torment might have him beat, but he's in the competition.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Sorry about the delay. I did try and warn that I'd be on vacation with the wife last week.
But I'm back and ready to work!

Markovnikov posted:

We've yet to see you use any of the medicines.

Do the plants respawn? Can you reuse the save spots and water jugs?

PS: Telluric just means anything related to earth (the planet and just ground in general). So yeah, it's just a made up name for the scientists' homeland.

Most of the medicines are for when we screw up (and eventually I do later) or for when I need to see... Let's call him our friend.

I don't know if plants respawn. I don't think they do, but I'll have to try and mess with that. Every pitcher is one of those "Bag-of-holding" water pitchers that just have endless amounts of liquid. Reminds me of a Norse myth where Odin is just drinking and drinking from a horn, then later realizes he's been drinking from the ocean the whole time.

RickVoid posted:

My experience with this LP is much like my experience with the game; I keep falling asleep.

HA HA HA HA! This seriously made me laugh. When I first played Miasmata, after every session I just retired to my recliner and passed out.

Okee-dokee. Let's head back to Eden.

Small warning: Darkness ahead.

Journal Entries

Page 34: Bio-Luminescent Algae
Page 35: Trumpet Mushroom
Page 36: Brain Emphasis

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

THAT was the bioluminiscent algae? I must have spent an hour wandering around that swamp in the dark.

Once again, thanks for playing this. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to finish it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wow, more gameplay elements. I can't wait to see you play hide-and-seek with the creature some more. Does it always come out at night, or can you encounter it during the day as well?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wait wait wait

There are two doctors in this game named Dagless and Sanchez?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0qGq7P3lM

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait wait wait

There are two doctors in this game named Dagless and Sanchez?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0qGq7P3lM

If only Robert Hughes could be as handsome and brilliant as Rick Daglass.

Also, I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dagless and Sanchez were based off of Dark Place.

LoonShia posted:

Wow, more gameplay elements. I can't wait to see you play hide-and-seek with the creature some more. Does it always come out at night, or can you encounter it during the day as well?

You'll see more of the Creature as we go, but he only seems to show up in specific places. Near as I know, time was only a factor in the mini-swamp outside Ruin Site-B.
I fully intend to get a good look at him next time, even if it kills me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Grimwit posted:

You'll see more of the Creature as we go, but he only seems to show up in specific places. Near as I know, time was only a factor in the mini-swamp outside Ruin Site-B.
I fully intend to get a good look at him next time, even if it kills me.

There's some randomness; in one game I actually got attacked by him right outside that cabin you said was your favorite, for example. But yeah, mainly he seems to hang around a few places.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Bremen posted:

There's some randomness; in one game I actually got attacked by him right outside that cabin you said was your favorite, for example. But yeah, mainly he seems to hang around a few places.

Yeah, my first sighting was on the road south from Vega. I was walking down the path, checking out the cliff to see if I could find a spot to climb up when I hear the heartbeat. I look forward and there it is, smack in the middle of the path. I just turned around and booked it all the way back to the cabins.

I wasn't even aware the icon would show up before the heartbeat starts. I just thought the creature spawning was totally random, since it seems to totally de-spawns once it decides to run off.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Informally the Creature sometimes gets the name 'Milo', because its movement was modeled on the pet cat of one of the brothers.

I once managed to get the Creature stuck in an infinite loop chasing its own tail. Because it won't attack you when you're inside and I entered a tent just as it approached, it managed to get trapped on a patch of ground right by the shore, unable to escape into the water, and also apparently unable to go past in the other direction. It just kept going round for hours.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kangra posted:

Informally the Creature sometimes gets the name 'Milo', because its movement was modeled on the pet cat of one of the brothers.

I read about that and, if true, Milo must have been a pretty derpy cat. I know, I know. Just the Creature's movements were based on the cat, not the AI. Still, there are times when the creature switches from a serious threat to... silly.

Alright, new episode time.

Journal Entries

Page 37: Potency Enhancers
Page 38: Chancellor Kallas
Page 39: Giant Bloom Maps
Page 40: Pawn-Shaped Mushroom
Page 41: Red-Green Tree Fungus
Page 42: Giant Bloom
Page 43: Endurance Emphasis Drug

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Really been enjoying this LP so far.

I remember when this game first came out I was kinda interested in it, but a lot of the talk about it was centered around the creature, which gave me the impression that it would be this constant threat that could appear at any point meaning you gotta be very careful, which looking at this LP is only partly true. Like, I expected it to appear on video one, maybe two, but up to now we only had that one encounter.

Kinda wondering if I should pick this up after all. Seems like a pretty relaxing game to play. Maybe I will wait until the next encounter with the creature, just so I can get a better idea of how it acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I think someone spend half his work on this game by animating and designing squirrels and other animals. The wildlife looks oddly detailed compared to everything else.

• Locked thread