Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Greader posted:

Really been enjoying this LP so far.

I remember when this game first came out I was kinda interested in it, but a lot of the talk about it was centered around the creature, which gave me the impression that it would be this constant threat that could appear at any point meaning you gotta be very careful, which looking at this LP is only partly true. Like, I expected it to appear on video one, maybe two, but up to now we only had that one encounter.

Kinda wondering if I should pick this up after all. Seems like a pretty relaxing game to play. Maybe I will wait until the next encounter with the creature, just so I can get a better idea of how it acts.

That's one aspect of the game I think they got exactly right; the vast majority of the time you're perfectly safe, but the creature shows up just frequently and randomly enough that you're always apprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bremen posted:

That's one aspect of the game I think they got exactly right; the vast majority of the time you're perfectly safe, but the creature shows up just frequently and randomly enough that you're always apprehensive.

Totally agree. You're supposed to be excited to start a game and get exploring somewhere new; you don't want to be scared to get out there. You run around for like an hour real time, having fun, and you're really into your mapping when suddenly *thump, thump* "oh yeah, the creature, I forgot...."

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
It may be my imagination, but the creature seems to show up more frequently as you gather the six main ingredients for the cure. It's why I'm sure I'll run into him again, even tho I haven't since Ruin Site-B.

I've never felt anxious about the creature, either, tho I save at every opportunity. I suppose that's a kind of worry habit.

As with any other game, play it smart and you'll be fine. Miasmata is more than fair. Any time you see something you can set on fire, do so. The application of pyromania will make you feel better as you play.

:supaburn: Set fires for joy! :supaburn:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Grimwit posted:

:supaburn: Set fires for joy! :supaburn:

Alright, I can get behind that sentiment. Ah hell, think I might as well grab it. Knowing myself I will spend 90% of the time making a perfect map of the island, charting every single landmark I could possibly find.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

You ever sit down, think to yourself "I'm going to be interesting and important," and then a torrent of nonsense drools out your mouth?

On an unrelated, here's the next video.

Journal Entries

Page 44: Kallas is a dick
Page 45: The Maiden and the fat woman
Page 46: Map to Outpost Tau
Page 47: The Academy burns
Page 48: Notes on Plant X
Page 49: Fabaceae

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grimwit posted:

You ever sit down, think to yourself "I'm going to be interesting and important," and then a torrent of nonsense drools out your mouth?

On an unrelated, here's the next video.

Journal Entries

Page 44: Kallas is a dick
Page 45: The Maiden and the fat woman
Page 46: Map to Outpost Tau
Page 47: The Academy burns
Page 48: Notes on Plant X
Page 49: Fabaceae

I do like getting lost. I would turn the wrong way deliberately, go to a new neighbourhood and get myself lost.

I found an open-air market that way, with the best European Gooseberries ever. Just an hour of walk away from where I lived.

But that was, well, in Europe. North American cities are not that interesting to be lost in. No cool secrets to be found when living on a grid. Plus it never stops raining in Vancouver. I don't mind getting rained-on, once in a while. I do mind the promise of being rained-on every time I go out.

Games, I do like a map. Lost is nice and all that, but when I'm trying to get something done I want a map. I still get myself lost when exploring sometimes, but when I'm in an action mood I need my map.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

I do like getting lost. I would turn the wrong way deliberately, go to a new neighbourhood and get myself lost.

I found an open-air market that way, with the best European Gooseberries ever. Just an hour of walk away from where I lived.

But that was, well, in Europe. North American cities are not that interesting to be lost in. No cool secrets to be found when living on a grid. Plus it never stops raining in Vancouver. I don't mind getting rained-on, once in a while. I do mind the promise of being rained-on every time I go out.

Games, I do like a map. Lost is nice and all that, but when I'm trying to get something done I want a map. I still get myself lost when exploring sometimes, but when I'm in an action mood I need my map.

Chalk it up to preference, then.

A note, there are some good and bad things about getting lost in American cities. The good is finding out of the way stores and restaurants. Found a really good Greek restaurant next to the support of a huge spaghetti junction highway. Crazy good sesame-seed bread and cracked olives. The Bad is feeling like at any moment when I leave the store, I'd get mugged.

If given the chance, never visit Baltimore.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd love to see more games go with vague maps, especially if it models the character's knowledge. The Thief games did this excellently. Sometimes you had a detailed plan and could pinpoint your location down to the room. Other maps were only a sketch, or indicated a less detailed position (as in the city). And then there's the "Where Am I" map when you end up in a place you couldn't possibly have known how to map out.

As for getting lost/wandering around cities, I'm always delighted to find little out of the way parks or even natural patches right up in part of the city. I know as a kid, if I was visiting a relative and there was a creek or some other undeveloped plot near their house, I'd be almost immediately off into it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am starting to really want to get this game. Unfortunately due to lack of funds it is on a long, long lists of games I want to get, so I doubt I'd be able to any time soon. Still, I can see myself painstakingly mapping every inch of the island, and probably do things like pick flowers and lay them by the corpses, in general just playing around.

Something I would request you to do Grimwit, is show off what happens when you swim at this time. As of yet, we only have your word that it is a bad idea and I am curious as to why, and to how short the distance you are able to swim actually is. Maybe you could show it off right after a save?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I would never be able to play a game without a map, or I'd get super-lost.

Then again, I'm the kind of guy who got lost playing Half-Life.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

I am starting to really want to get this game. Unfortunately due to lack of funds it is on a long, long lists of games I want to get, so I doubt I'd be able to any time soon. Still, I can see myself painstakingly mapping every inch of the island, and probably do things like pick flowers and lay them by the corpses, in general just playing around.

Something I would request you to do Grimwit, is show off what happens when you swim at this time. As of yet, we only have your word that it is a bad idea and I am curious as to why, and to how short the distance you are able to swim actually is. Maybe you could show it off right after a save?

Drown for science. Got it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Were those fruits you found the strawberry-banana fruits that were described in that log file?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Were those fruits you found the strawberry-banana fruits that were described in that log file?

Not yet. You'll see what they are next episode. The strange bulbous fruit will come up in a few episodes.

Honestly, I'm going through the game at a good clip.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Double Post...

Time to...uh... Die.

Journal Entries

Page 50: Fleshy Purple Fruit
Page 51: Yellow Mushroom
Page 52: Herculean Tonic

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
At least the creature seems like a good sport, it apparently gives you enough time after it hits you to get up and try to run away/find a hiding spot. Though I suspect hiding at that point would be kinda hard. Or running away while having high fever.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LoonShia posted:

I would never be able to play a game without a map, or I'd get super-lost.

Then again, I'm the kind of guy who got lost playing Half-Life.

It is super easy to get lost in this game; for whatever reason, I think it's a lot easier to keep directions straight while watching the videos, but for some reason while playing I seem to get confused much easier.

Grimwit posted:

Double Post...

Time to...uh... Die.

In my experience, the greatest benefit to holding a weapon is if you brandish it at the creature it gets wary and wont attack you head on; instead it tends to just crouch and start stalking you. Of course, as soon as you turn around (or it circles behind you) it will leap forward and attack, so this isn't really all that helpful. Trying to back away from the creature without turning around is a great way to fall off a cliff, and if the fall doesn't kill you the creature will be happy to finish the job.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Bremen posted:

In my experience, the greatest benefit to holding a weapon is if you brandish it at the creature it gets wary and wont attack you head on; instead it tends to just crouch and start stalking you. Of course, as soon as you turn around (or it circles behind you) it will leap forward and attack, so this isn't really all that helpful. Trying to back away from the creature without turning around is a great way to fall off a cliff, and if the fall doesn't kill you the creature will be happy to finish the job.

There are achievements for hitting the Creature with different items. Cans, bananas, etc... I read over and over that the creature is at least afraid of torches and fire, and I've seen him deliberately avoid water. Swimming (and not drowning) is a good escape.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Today's video is an example of searching for something and finding another thing that is completely different.

Journal Entries

Page 54: Muscle Emphasis Ingredients
Page 55: Mysterious Blue Fungus
Page 56: Synthesis of Agent X
Page 57: Energy Stimulants
Page 58: Mental Clarity Tonics
Page 59: Large Jungle Flower
Page 60: Muscle Emphasis Drug

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I want you to know that I appreciate your Kung Pow! reference.

The flora of this island is bananas. On the one hand fly amanita and prairie flowers, on the other hand coconut palms and carnivorous plants.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Two things. First, being brought up on the coast and having lived by the sea I can tell you that it can definitely be that calm. It is however very rare.
Second, one of those notes was signed Isabella. Seems we have the confirmed presence of a woman on the island now.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

Two things. First, being brought up on the coast and having lived by the sea I can tell you that it can definitely be that calm. It is however very rare.

All I know is to not go into it with a tray of muffins.

New update, now with some good progress.

Journal Entries

Page 61: Fleshy Rooted Plant
Page 62: Blue Scaly Fungus
Page 63: Brown Shelf Fungus
Page 64: Bulbous, Fruit Plant
Page 65: Agent X - Primary Antibiotic

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You might have noticed it by now, but the Pearl-Blue Shelf Fungus is a different one than the Grey? one. You actually had it open to the page with it almost as soon as you started talking about it. I always get the Brown fungus mixed up with the one you find south of the start location (again, looks similar and has the same effects).

I like the mention of Miasmata being 'fair'. For all its silliness and odd naming, it is a system that is very consistent. Falling down causes 'fever'. 'Fever' is cured by medicine, produced in the same fashion from specific locatable objects. Moving too fast leads to 'tiredness'; you can never get 'tired' from climbing mountains all day, but you get 'tired' from running just a short distance, until you craft the magic item that helps you.

Tau always felt like home base for me, although it's probably not where I'd live on the island if given the chance.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As to buildings, religious structures and graves, if I remember correctly, is a lot of the earliest structures, at least ones that are still around.
I imagine they also being the most impressive ones, and well built. So, they might too have lived in huts, but their temples were stone.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Here's a theory for the island. What you are exploring is the rather large, spread out temple district, a la the Acropolis. What happened to all the administration buildings and residential housing? Those have sunken beneath the wave as the island is slowly sinking. The residents realized this and fled hundreds of year prior. You haven't full mapped the island, but the rather circular shape and the somewhat round hills suggest that island is (or at least was) volcanic in nature, as the plates shifted, the volcanic pressure that formed the island has subsided and the island is returning ever so slowly to the ocean bed.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Burzmali posted:

Here's a theory for the island. What you are exploring is the rather large, spread out temple district, a la the Acropolis. What happened to all the administration buildings and residential housing? Those have sunken beneath the wave as the island is slowly sinking. The residents realized this and fled hundreds of year prior. You haven't full mapped the island, but the rather circular shape and the somewhat round hills suggest that island is (or at least was) volcanic in nature, as the plates shifted, the volcanic pressure that formed the island has subsided and the island is returning ever so slowly to the ocean bed.

That's a pretty interesting theory, actually.
I've already recorded the next three episodes and, given what I find, that kind of makes sense.

Speakering of videos...

The only journal entry...

Page 66: Flower and Fruit maps

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I suppose that solved one mystery about the creature. It really seems like shaking the creature off when it has found you is really hard, wonder if you shouldn't have tried to return to a camp or something when it was following you instead of apparently running/swimming in circles. Then again for all I know you were trying to do that and I just didn't realise because my sense of direction in that game is kinda terrible I noticed.

Speaking of which, I finally got the game since this LP convinced me to try it so that is at least one copy sold thanks to these videos.

As for the ruins, maybe the people just really liked being under the free sky? Like, for all we know these buildings could have been workplaces and housings, just that those people really enjoyed working/living/sleeping without a roof. As for any remnants of furniture and such, maybe they just took those with them when they moved to...wherever people move to from an island.

Or maybe the creature is just a really good stoneworker. Gotta be doing something inbetween stalking the forests for a plague-ridden researcher to punch.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That's a good demonstration of a typical Creature encounter. It might not get you right away, but unless you can find a safe spot, it'll keep hanging around until eventually getting you. You also showed the effectiveness of burning objects - they work quite well to keep it at bay, but last for such a short time that they won't save you.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Greader posted:

As for the ruins, maybe the people just really liked being under the free sky? Like, for all we know these buildings could have been workplaces and housings, just that those people really enjoyed working/living/sleeping without a roof. As for any remnants of furniture and such, maybe they just took those with them when they moved to...wherever people move to from an island.

My theory is the former inhabitants (for some strange reason) made their roofs and furniture completely out of wood or leaves.

Not... Not sure why.

Also, congrats on your new purchase! Now you can go exploring and be all like "drat YOU CREATURE!" along with the rest of us!

Here's the new vid...

Journal Entries...

Page 67: Violet Cactus
Page 68: Pink Spotted Lily
Page 69: Mushroom Maps
Page 70: Prickly Pear
Page 71: Photos of Kallas being a dick
Page 72: Common White Mushroom
Page 73: Orange Prairie Flower

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It looked like there was something else on Dog Island that you didn't grab - some sort of orange and black-ish speckled thing? Was that a plant you already have seen, or just something decorative? Or did you just miss it?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

It looked like there was something else on Dog Island that you didn't grab - some sort of orange and black-ish speckled thing? Was that a plant you already have seen, or just something decorative? Or did you just miss it?

If you mean the sort of beehive looking mushrooms, I think he got that a good ways back. I want to say it was for one of the emphasis drugs.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bremen posted:

If you mean the sort of beehive looking mushrooms, I think he got that a good ways back. I want to say it was for one of the emphasis drugs.

Okay, that's probably what it was. I didn't recall them from before.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I might have been blind, but it looked like there were some small, white flowers on Dog Island. I didn't know if they were pickable, but I thought they might have been. They weren't mushrooms or stones, I know that for sure. You get a half-decent shot of them at 18:39-ish.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That dog statue ties in well with the theory of the outer parts of the island slowly eroding/subsiding. The dog could easily be part of an earlier animal worship cult, which later gave way to the cult of the froggy thing. Although they do seem quite distinct in style and it almost does seem more like a memorial of sorts.

It feels like there are about three earlier periods of inhabitation (or four, if you consider the wood buildings to predate the scientists). It's hard to tell whether they are all separate groups that died out, or stages in the development of a particular culture, but I'd say it's the latter.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
This is a very chill LP. Is there any randomisation in the game apart from the creature's appearances?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kore_Fero posted:

This is a very chill LP. Is there any randomisation in the game apart from the creature's appearances?

Nope.

If you play long enough, even the creature isn't random and follows a distinct pattern. The working theory with fans is the creature appears depending on time of day and proximity of certain areas, or if it's the first time you've visited an area. For example, The creature will always show on the evening you're around the bioluminescent algae, but I don't think he shows afterwards.

Near as I know, there is zero RNG in Miasmata.

Edit:

Lazy Bear posted:

I might have been blind, but it looked like there were some small, white flowers on Dog Island. I didn't know if they were pickable, but I thought they might have been. They weren't mushrooms or stones, I know that for sure. You get a half-decent shot of them at 18:39-ish.

I went back to look. There are yellow sponge mushrooms, which we've covered, common White Mushrooms, of course, and common white flowers which cannot be picked.

Donno. Maybe Robert Hughes isn't skilled enough to make medicine out of small plants and needs them comically huge.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 2, 2015

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Grimwit posted:

If you play long enough, even the creature isn't random and follows a distinct pattern. The working theory with fans is the creature appears depending on time of day and proximity of certain areas, or if it's the first time you've visited an area. For example, The creature will always show on the evening you're around the bioluminescent algae, but I don't think he shows afterwards.

Near as I know, there is zero RNG in Miasmata.

Now I wonder if I should take note of the time of day whenever I leave camp. Two times by now have I met the creature right after leaving camp, luckily I was still in running distance so I could just leg it back to camp. One time was Ruin Site B (Right after stashing the algea and sleeping) and one time was on what I guess is the northern part of the left "clover leaf", with the two wooden huts and the white mushrooms all around them. Does not help that I might be missing part of the Intelligence Enhancer, could have sworn you had gotten it at that point in the LP. OR maybe I am just misremembering and the second ingredient is still a bit ahead. drat my goldfish memory.

Edit: Alright, checking the earlier posts I did miss the trumpet mushroom. Hope it will pop up at some point again, though if the latest episode is any indication it probably will. Also made it to Outpost Tau, slept, and of course once I am like 5 feet away from the outpost I notice the creature. It really wants me as breakfast it seems.

Greader fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 2, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

New Update time! Now with the next agent for the cure.

Journal Entries...

Page 74: Orchid Map
Page 75: Map to Boat Landing
Page 76: Herbert is Acting Strange
Page 77: Carnivorous Trap Plant
Page 78: Rainbow Orchid
Page 79: Agent Y - Anti-Toxin

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It might just be bad luck but hiding from the creature just doesn't seem to do much if he decides to go anywhere near you. Tall grass doesn't seem to impede his vision at all.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

It might just be bad luck but hiding from the creature just doesn't seem to do much if he decides to go anywhere near you. Tall grass doesn't seem to impede his vision at all.

Grass works pretty well if he doesn't know you're there, but if he sees you hide in the grass it wont work; he'll just go over to where you're hiding and it doesn't work within a few feet.

Once he's seen you as far as I can tell your only hope is to break line of sight long enough to find out of the way grass to hide in, or get to a cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Bremen posted:

Grass works pretty well if he doesn't know you're there, but if he sees you hide in the grass it wont work; he'll just go over to where you're hiding and it doesn't work within a few feet.

Once he's seen you as far as I can tell your only hope is to break line of sight long enough to find out of the way grass to hide in, or get to a cabin.

Just an observation, but moo cat seems to have tank controls with a restricted turning rate. I can't guarantee it, but it looks like strafing back and forth as you walk should be more than enough to prevent him from getting an attack off.

• Locked thread