Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

It might just be bad luck but hiding from the creature just doesn't seem to do much if he decides to go anywhere near you. Tall grass doesn't seem to impede his vision at all.

Oddly enough I had times where the creature would walk up to where I was hiding, walk straight at me until it was like two metres or so away, then run half a circle around me and leave. It might just really depend on the type of grass/foliage you hide in as well as how much there is around you. I've been getting the feeling lately that the more grass there is around you, the better it will hide you. Or maybe I have just been getting lucky.

Still, having the creature basically stare right at you and then politely walk around you is something else alright, especially since that happened on my first encounter. Sadly it has been way less polite lately, basically seeing me from far away and making me run all over the place to hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Burzmali posted:

Just an observation, but moo cat seems to have tank controls with a restricted turning rate. I can't guarantee it, but it looks like strafing back and forth as you walk should be more than enough to prevent him from getting an attack off.

Burzmali posted:

Just an observation, but moo cat seems to...

Burzmali posted:

but moo cat...

Sorry about the delay, but I was suffering from food poisoning and couldn't get out of bed, or breath, or do anything but beg for death.
Food poisoning sucks. Always eat at McDonalds.

I'm super pumped that I've convinced others to enjoy this game. Miasmata may not be perfect. No, it's certainly not perfect. But it's one of those games that everyone will take away a different story from.

Also, please don't reveal the secret ending to your friends or they will kill you and hide your body in the sewers. Just say'n.

Journal Pages...

Page 80: Making a Brain Emphasis Drug
Page 81: Herbert's Sabotage

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Food poisoning is evil. I've had flesh wounds, a heavily sprained ankle while in the middle of nowhere, and been ill for 6 weeks once with flu, chicken pox, and an ear infection all in a row, but the one time I suffered from food poisoning for 2-3 days has easily topped everything else.

Still enjoying this a lot, please don't die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fleve posted:

Food poisoning is evil. I've had flesh wounds, a heavily sprained ankle while in the middle of nowhere, and been ill for 6 weeks once with flu, chicken pox, and an ear infection all in a row, but the one time I suffered from food poisoning for 2-3 days has easily topped everything else.

Still enjoying this a lot, please don't die.

I'm sure he's fine, eating enough random flowers grinded with random mushrooms can cure anything.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I'm sure he's fine, eating enough random flowers grinded with random mushrooms can cure anything.

Just make sure to combine them with the purple flowers and not the white ones, don't wanna just make a double dose of regular medicine.

Also on the topic of this LP getting people to buy this game, I actually just finished a stream for a couple buddys of mine, at least one of which I probably sold on this game. This game is just so unique and enjoyable that I had to try and share it with people. Of course I made sure to mention this LP as well as posting a link since it is only fair that way.

One thing I realised playing on a second file is how much less worried I was about the creature. I was still crouching often of course, but I did take a lot more time to take in the scenery and hang out in areas that are not safe-zones. Basically went from my worried hustling through the island to hopefully not get caught by it, to just strolling around, admiring everything while once in a while checking over the shoulder if our friend showed up.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Greader posted:

Also on the topic of this LP getting people to buy this game, I actually just finished a stream for a couple buddys of mine, at least one of which I probably sold on this game.

That's awesome, actually. I honestly thought this game was more popular that it was. Because of obvious technical flaws, I think it scared people away, which is a pity. So I applaud introducing others to Miasmata.

Oh with the show!

Journal Pages...

Page 82: Map to Outpost Sirius
Page 83: Map to Enormous Plant
Page 84: News Article about Plauge

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
For some reason, Miasmata got filed into the survival horror genre for me, not something I usually enjoy. I think I must have watched some youtube scare-cam poo poo and got turned off the game when it launched. Now through watching the LP, cow-cat does not really seem that scary, more akin to an obstacle to overcome while you explore and perform amateurexpert chemistry.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Welp, I finished recording and editing the last episode. Barring any extra videos I haven't thought of, this'll be the last week for this LP.

Journal Entries...

Page 85: Synthesis of Agent Z
Page 86: Isabells's Poem
Page 87: Map of Outpost Rigel
Page 88: Photos of Plague Victims
Page 89: Titan Plant
Page 90: Wood Gill Fungus
Page 91: Nepenthes Viri info
Page 92: Prescient Owls

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

During the chase the creature seemed to teleport a fair distance from behind you to directly in front of you. I wonder if the the creature is meant to stay close enough after you pick that plant up to make things tense until you reach any camp at all, but because you approached on such a narrow path along the coast the game couldn't find anywhere else to move it to.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

During the chase the creature seemed to teleport a fair distance from behind you to directly in front of you. I wonder if the the creature is meant to stay close enough after you pick that plant up to make things tense until you reach any camp at all, but because you approached on such a narrow path along the coast the game couldn't find anywhere else to move it to.

I don't think you're wrong.

On and off camera, the Creature has been hopping around the map. It was probably easier than keeping track of exactly where he is at any point of the game (which I would have done). I have a theory why he moves that way, but I'm waiting until the last video to explain.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Grimwit posted:

I don't think you're wrong.

On and off camera, the Creature has been hopping around the map. It was probably easier than keeping track of exactly where he is at any point of the game (which I would have done). I have a theory why he moves that way, but I'm waiting until the last video to explain.

At least one time the critter teleported, it was after you took a map break. This lends support to the idea that the critter has a patrol route with some kind of activation radius. In that case, you evaded him long enough to cause a despawn, but then the map break was long enough to move him move a bit further along his patrol and enable a new activation.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I remember hearing, though I never tested it, that the game kind of semi-randomizes where the creature is (with a few particular hotspots), but if it crosses your recent path it will break its pattern and beeline for you (effectively "catching your scent"). This fits with what I've seen; usually when I find the creature it's ahead of me, but sometimes if I loiter around it sneaks up on me from behind.

Also that chase was surprisingly alarming even in a video where you never actually see it.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 14, 2015

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I only just now pieced together the story and connected the dots from the notes we found. I think have more questions about Eden than I started with.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
This part of the game is probably the one that in hindsight I enjoyed the most. We have no concrete clue as to where the last plant is that we need for the cure, though we can make assumptions about where it could be. When I played this game myself I ended up searching around half the island before finally stumbling upon it, and that was after some serious aimless wandering.

That said, during that time I did feel like the creature becomes more agressive, or at least appears more often once you are this close to the end. I had it appear twice, sometimes even three times a day from this point on, and one of these would usually be early in the morning shortly after leaving wherever I stayed for the night. Hell, once I woke up in a tent, crouched immideatly out of habit and actually got the creature overlay. It ended up just running past the tent and going off again. Who knows what it was thinking, maybe it hoped I wouldn't check and it could ambush me?

Also I do wonder if this part of the island was meant to be the next part new players head into after getting the bio-luminescent algea. The brain emphasis drug which is super important has it's owl statues here and the mushrooms are not really hidden, the game describes what these do here and most of the way you have to go is mapped, at least the importants outposts are.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Greader posted:

The brain emphasis drug which is super important has it's owl statues here and the mushrooms are not really hidden, the game describes what these do here and most of the way you have to go is mapped, at least the importants outposts are.

When you figure out the owls, I actually think they're sort of brilliant. Before the cure, you want to improve yourself, especially the Brain Emphasis to avoid trouble (and notice that the Trumpet and Sponge fungi are everywhere for the brain drug). So you look around and notice all these owls and are like "What is that thing looking at?!"

Kore_Fero posted:

I only just now pieced together the story and connected the dots from the notes we found. I think have more questions about Eden than I started with.

Sshhhhhhhhhhh

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Double-Post C-C-C-Combo!

In today's video...

*ahem* Sorry. My mistake. I meant to post...

Journal Entries...

Page 93: Map to Pitcher Plant
Page 94: Carnivorous Pitcher Plant
Page 95: Agent Z-Adjuvant
Page 96: I'M CURED!

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Wait, there was a small camp near R1 that showed the location of the pitcher plant? Goddammit. This is what happens when you stop mapping every square inch of the island. Could have saved me an hour or two of covering the entire island, though I suppose more exploration in this game is not necessarily bad. Gave me more chances to appreciate nature.

I gotta say finally being cured of the plague is a pretty great feeling. Every stat set to high, no more worrying about falling off cliffs (not that I constantly fell off of them or anything :v: ) and no more creature to worry about. Though I did not know about the fact that the creature was gone from then on out, so I was still ducking occasionally till it finally hit me that I was safe.

Also now I wanna find the highest cliff of the island and see how far our protagonist can bounce. Seriously, the cure must have turned him into rubber or something.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Symptoms of the Plague: Pyrokinesis, Made of Rubber, No longer needs to eat, Thirsty like a fish (nutrition replaced with hydro-engines?), night-blindness, marble-like movements.

So basically, it's like the common cold.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Grimwit posted:

Symptoms of the Plague: Pyrokinesis, Made of Rubber, No longer needs to eat, Thirsty like a fish (nutrition replaced with hydro-engines?), night-blindness, marble-like movements.

So basically, it's like the common cold.

Also dirty hands.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like the detail in the notes that mentions someone dying after 7 days. It doesn't say outright that's how much time you have, but it makes the player wonder. I felt that should have been one of the notes that moves around, so you always see it early on.

As far as the game effect: You can't actually die in-game from the plague directly, as far as I know. It just gets harder to do anything and your risk of dying for some other reason increases as fatigue sets in faster and Creature attacks are more frequent.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Now the real theorizing shall begin.

This final episode should provide some food for thought as to who Robert Hughes is, The identity of the murderer, and what the creature is.

Journal Entries...

Page 97: Sanchez Likes Heads
Page 98: Indigo Asteraceae

If I can do that trick where one can beat the game in 5 minutes, I'll upload it as a bonus video.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you for making this LP. When I first saw footage of this game I was interested but the creature and the apparent survival horror-ness scared me away. When I got the chance here to see more of this game I got interested again and once I saw what the game is actually like, how it is much more about exploration and enjoying the wonderful sights of the island than I thought I finally gave it a try, and it sucked me right in. If it wasn't for this LP I probably would have never given it a try, and I am glad I gave it one.

This game has it's little bugs and such, but as you have said Grimwit, they never end up taking away from the enjoyment of the game. Sure, bananas rolling forever or flowers being held by telekinesis are silly but they never end up being a problem. The worst things are stuff like that one entry that couldn't be picked up or landmarks not counting as such, but even these are so rare that you might never encounter them. As for the core mechanics, they all seem to work as intended. Our protagonist moves like a marble, but seeing how falling is a real danger and how someone dying of a plague may not be very good on his feet it makes sense that they made movement a bit more complex. Picking flowers and researching them is fun and it adds in a sort of crafting mechanic that you don't realise it is one really. It helps that the game is very pretty looking, giving you more reason to look around and find any flora to use for medicins. As for the creature, it is a threat but one that can be dealt with in many ways. YOu can never kill it, but you can use many other ways to escape or avoid it. It also drives in how well the island is designed, that it could potentially attack you anywhere, but usually you will have some sort of terrain feature to use to your advantage.

Sorry for that wall of text. I really enjoyed this game. I streamed it to some friends and intend to show it off to some others as well. Hell, one guy I knew has started playing it, probably due to my stream and that wouldn't have happened in the first place without this LP. Hopefully I can help making this game at least a bit more known, because it really deserves to be.

As for the ending, when I first saw the front of the journal I thought the protagonist had taken it from the table, also misread the last name and thought the big reveal was that Herbert is something like the brother or father of Robert, but they weren't related in that sense it seems.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Grimwit posted:

If I can do that trick where one can beat the game in 5 minutes, I'll upload it as a bonus video.

It's really not that hard, and kind of fun to pull off!

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Great job on the LP, Grimwit.

Being able to explore the island freely at the end is a nice reward as well as seeing that the efforts of the scientists didn't go to waste :unsmith:

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
Before watching this Let's Play, I had gone on record elsewhere as saying, "I didn't like this game, despite its good reviews. It starts off slow, and it didn't pick up fast enough that it held my interest. And by slow, I mean everything is slow. The pace of the game, the story, getting anything done, and even your walking speed. Nothing happens fast in this game, and I wasn't compelled enough to just sit back and enjoy it."

After watching you play it, I feel the need to revise that statement. I didn't like playing this game. The gameplay didn't pick up fast enough that it held my interest. But watching you, I was absolutely compelled enough to sit back and enjoy it. Thank you, Grimwit, for letting me enjoy a game that I had given up on.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
That's for the LP, excellent job as usual.

Thinking about the game, I can see why it is relatively obscure, basically it scratches a very particular itch and I don't think that itch is too common.

You like low/non combat first person survival games? Well, you probably would prefer a horror theme, in which case Penumbra or Amnesia is a better fit than this.
You like narrative driven "walking simulators"? Well, you'd probably like Gone Home or Dear Esther better than this.
Enjoy nature games with light puzzle solving and some mystery? I'd probably recommend the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

In all of those cases, the alternate title is generally considered a stronger game than Miasmata. It's much like if someone tells me they are looking for a TBS game to try, I'm going to lead with your X-Coms and Jagged Alliances (or Breath of Fire if they are Japanophiles) and not the Banner Saga. Miasmata is a good game, but it sits in a narrow niche so that you either have to be hardcore into that niche or have an attraction to some particular element of the game to pick it up blind. And even if you did, the weak visuals (it's on par with titles made a decade prior) and the $15 price tag aren't helping. Looking over my collection, I see a plenty of titles that easily fit into the category of too niche to be widely recommended and too good to be ignored, but not strong enough to crack the top 5 titles I would recommend to someone interested in that niche.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you ask me Miasmata could have been a lot better with less survival like a lot of survival-ish games, though I suppose it could also be true that the survival parts themselves are the least intensive parts of making the game. But considering how much more went into the island I think the game could have been served a lot better to just drop the "cure yourself of the plague" and "creature" elements entirely and just be about a person exploring an unmapped island in search for medicinal plants. Instead of a fairly basic story about a split personality and evil dictator, maybe a side story about the culture that once lived there you could find out about or not. You could keep the thirst mechanic as a way to drive the way to know where they are and where the nearest fresh water source is. I'm not sure how you'd justify camps and resting then, maybe have the character haul around a backpack with a tent that needs a certain kind of area to deploy.

But never mind that, thanks for LPing Miasmata. I was always interested it and even tried playing it but never found the patience for it, with the weird creature attacks and really frustrating start with the fever mechanics., but at least I've seen it now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Great LP and what an interesting ending. Thanks.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I discovered this thread last night... Probably shouldn't have marathoned the first 5 episodes right before going to sleep... jesus gently caress i had batshit insane dreams... :catdrugs:
Anyway, thanks for another amazing LP - I'll be keeping tabs on you! :ninja:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

GauRocks posted:

After watching you play it, I feel the need to revise that statement. I didn't like playing this game. The gameplay didn't pick up fast enough that it held my interest. But watching you, I was absolutely compelled enough to sit back and enjoy it. Thank you, Grimwit, for letting me enjoy a game that I had given up on.

I read this out loud this morning to my wife. She went "Aw" and bro-fisted me. I'm not kidding.

Burzmali posted:

Miasmata is a good game, but it sits in a narrow niche so that you either have to be hardcore into that niche or have an attraction to some particular element of the game to pick it up blind.

You ain't just whistling Dixie. I fit into the niche so neatly that it blinded me to what others might think of the game. It still blows my mind that this didn't explode off of steam like an indie smash-hit. Ah well.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

jesus gently caress i had batshit insane dreams... :catdrugs:

I had the same thing happen when watching One F Jef play Silent Hunter 4 and Zorak's Endless Ocean runs. Never fall asleep to Let's Plays, I guess.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alright, last video.

With that, this Let's Play is sealed. If you want more videos, post 'em yourself. Sure, I'll put them into the OP. Why not?

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2015

Five
Jan 6, 2009

What's the name of that NES Batman remix you had in the video?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Five posted:

What's the name of that NES Batman remix you had in the video?

I put the name in the credits, but here's a -->link<-- for the lazy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So is that a bug that was never fixed or are all the ingredients supposed to stay around in a new game so you can just play around with the map and island?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

So is that a bug that was never fixed or are all the ingredients supposed to stay around in a new game so you can just play around with the map and island?

Total glitch-ville.

For whatever reason, the variables for a locations Examination tray and craft trays aren't purged when exiting a game to the main menu. The result is starting a new game fills in the trays with whatever is in the previous game's variables.

In essence, if I had booted up the game and started a new game fresh, there wouldn't have been anything in those trays.

But because I booted up the game, loaded my old game with the trays filled, then exited to the main menu and started a new game, the trays kept whatever was in them from the last game.

I tested this out with the inventory and things just on the floor. Didn't work. So you only got 4 items to play with. One complete agent (Agent X), two specimens (for Agent Y), and one additional plant in the examination tray (for Agent Z). Then I grabbed the Pitcher plant for the last ingredient for Agent Z on the way to the lab I left my stuff.

I have also seen the same trick, but by switching between games. Apparently the variables aren't only determined by making a new game.

-->Linky to Video<--
Note in this video he saves his new game, switches to the old game for the last agent, then switches back.

Guess the game testers didn't figure this one out during QR.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...Now what am I going to watch when falling asleep in the evening?
I will miss this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a story, and I love how you smash-cut everything together at the end for a final reveal. I suppose in an indie game that even when you don't have amnesia you have amnesia.

This was a quality production and I'm sorry I didn't have the time to post more during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I wanted to say it earlier, but you did an excellent job with the hints you dropped. It was fairly amusing to watch.

As far as all the bodies on the island, Isabelle is the only one who was stabbed from the front. You made a comment that sort of alluded to the fact that between that and the poem, she might have been the only one H.G. didn't kill; she may well have killed herself.

• Locked thread