Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
I'm a Civil Engineer with about 10 years experience, most recently working in a small engineering consulting company in Australia. Over the last year or so I've been more and more involved in running the office and the company, including day-to-day running of the branch office and input to overall company strategy, marketing, etc. This has got me interested in business and management, and I'm now thinking about moving to Management Consulting.

I'm aware that I don't really have any management experience to talk about. What I do have is an undergraduate management degree, some experience in infrastructure management, and pretty solid numerical and analytical skills. I also have undergrad and postgrad Civil Engineering qualifications for what it's worth.

As well as a general interest in business, I'm drawn to consulting for what I perceive to be a chance to work on a wider variety of problems, and probably more abstract problems, than in an engineering role. I'm leaning towards operations, and in particular transport operations, as an area of consulting to focus on. I found operations one of the more interesting topics at University, and feel transport might give me a hand to land a role as an 'experienced professional' instead of having to start from the bottom of the ladder again.

To make things more interesting, I'm also moving to London with my girlfriend in July with a Youth Mobility visa valid for two years.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to find out the specifics of a consulting job and whether my plans are reasonable. In general I'd appreciate some input on:
  • What should I expect as a management consultant?
  • How realistic would it be for me to be able to enter a consulting firm as an 'experienced professional'?
  • Any suggestions on how I might go about getting in to a consulting role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do you like seeing your girlfriend? If yes, I do not recommend a career in Management Consulting.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
Engineering consulting isn't always great in that regard either.

• Locked thread