Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I got an Instant Pot and made carnitas in it on a weeknight. It took an hour. I am in love. :swoon:

Then this weekend I made chicken stock with a bunch of frozen carcasses and wings I had in the freezer. I didn't even need to thaw them. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The Midniter posted:

When I use the quick release, I put the cooker on a trivet on the kitchen island so it's away from under the cabinets. If you don't have an island, you can just put it on a chair in the middle of the room or something, or even outside.

Alternately, you can just put it in the sink and run cold water over it until the pressure drops. Much quicker and no steam to release. This may affect your cooking times slightly, since it prevents any residual-heat cooking called for in some recipes.

Do not do this with an Instant Pot. It's electric.

I have had success with putting a damp cool towel over the lid during the cooldown phase. It makes it pretty fast to depressurize, without the shock of the quick release. And when I do eventually press the release valve, the towel catches most of the steam.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Get a goddamn Instant Pot, do not come back here till you do :argh:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

So...anyone make ramen broth in their Instant Pot? How did it go?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

How long did you cook the clams? That's a great loving idea :pervert:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thanks it must have been the valve because we turned it off and fiddled with it and now its working. Second question, I normally do carnitas in a slow cooker and it turns out really great. Anyone do carnitas in their instant pot? Have a good recipe for it?
1.5-3lbs of pork shoulder
Cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, salt and black pepper for a dry rub
Slice an onion and lay it in the bottom, then put the pork on top
Add 3-4 smashed garlic cloves and a couple bay leaves
Then the braising liquid is 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup orange juice, a dash of fish sauce, and a dash of apple cider vinegar.

Cook on high pressure for an hour, natural pressure release.
Take out pork and shred. Boil down the sauce in the pot until it’s reduced to a half cup. Put the pork back in and toss to coat.

Optional, you can spread it all out on a sheet pan and broil it to give it some crispy bits.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

10 pounds meat

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

He started incorporating stuff like fish sauce and curry spices so he's improving.

He’s never going to get better until he eats one of those insanity peppers

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah it doesn’t work as a slow cooker except for, like, soup or other things that only need to be heated from the bottom of the pot. A ceramic crock pot stays even when it cooks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

In my experience, the sealing ring picks up the flavor from the last thing you cooked but doesn't transfer it to the next thing you cook.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

You can turn off the beeps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

hold down the minus button for 5 seconds (hold down + to re-enable)