Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zerilan posted:

Haven't really used the instant pot I got much as a gift yet, but I am chronically depressed and tend to make the laziest options possible.

If I was just to throw rice, a chicken breast, and some frozen vegetables together in the instant pot, would I need to cook any of them separately first, and how do I determine how much water to use?

Rice:water = 1:1. No idea how long it takes to cook chicken breast in the IP but I bet it will be overcooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

toplitzin posted:

I found the best rice ratio to be the first cup of rice goes in at 1:1.25 water then 1:1 for any additional rice.

The seven to ten minute low pressure cook for rice might not completely murder the chicken breast, but it will definitely be well done.

IP directions for white rice are 4 min, low pressure, 1:1. Does 7-10 make it mushy? I've only made rice in the IP once or twice though because I make it so often on the stove that I can do it on autopilot. I wash the rice so I'm probably closer to 1:1.25 too.

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anjow posted:

I've made this twice now:

Try not stirring so the veg is on the bottom. I often use onions as a barrier to prevent other things from sticking.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm, I'll just make it up as I go along.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 20, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Discussion Quorum posted:

My only regret of instant pot ownership is that I already own one and couldn't justify buying R2D2

You can buy r2d2 wraps on Etsy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Discussion Quorum posted:

:prepop: So I can have an R2D2 IP and stick it to Disney?

Might be licensed, not sure, might want to buy while you can just in case.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heners_UK posted:

There was a lot of chat about Cottage Cheese and Yoghurt making in the IP earlier, but I didn't see any endorsements of recipes? Any help. Have googled but plenty of options and I only have the flashiness of the website to go on.

She said the recipe is just some basic recipe on Google and the most important things are the starter (she recommends Fage but any live plain yogurt will work) and the milk (whole is better than 2%). The rest she said is just following the IP directions for yogurt. After the first batch keep some for starter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Turkey necks and backs $0.50/lb

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lazyhound posted:

How much time should I add if cooking stewing beef from frozen? The recipe as-is calls for fifteen minutes and quick release, then five more minutes (with the rest of the ingredients).

If you start with tap water it shouldn't matter much if the chunks aren't too big since the meat will be thawed by the time it boils but adding 5 min won't hurt anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

Last night I did black eye peas. Sauteed onion, added garlic, sauteed that, added some smoked paprika, then chopped ham, lots of black pepper, pound of dried black eye peas, and 6 cups of chicken stock. Cooked for 17 minutes high pressure then let natural release for 15. Probably cooked have cooked even less time. It was so drat good. I wanted to drink the cooking liquid.

I've never liked black eyed peas but have never made them myself. They have a gritty dry texture that I hate. Is that normal or do most people suck at making them?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

I decided to make rice in the IP tonight instead of on the stovetop: wash, rinse, add 3 cups wet rice + 3 cups of water, 8 minutes low pressure, 10 min natural release. Perfect. I'll probably start using the IP for rice more often.

Heners_UK posted:

Reading around for a decent bean chilli recipe.

Chef John's Beef, bean, and beer chili is simple and you can swap out the beer with chicken stock.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heners_UK posted:

... a good non-mummyblogger place to go for recipes?

This will sound sexist in context so I hesitate to say it but Dad cooks dinner has been a solid website for me for pressure cooker recipes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There are a bunch of fake recipe blogs, YouTubes and Instagrams, there's even a YouTube channel where a food scientist proves that recipes are fake by trying to make them. I've even made a few recipes from established popular sites that were absolute poo poo and no way anyone made them in real life.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

franco posted:

I was looking up some Instant Pot stuff, ended up on a bit of a YouTube dive and came across 7 BASIC Instant Pot Recipes - Perfect for Beginners! I'm still not quite sure if I'm being trolled.

Finally watched this, it's so dumb. I like how she pours rice into a steel measuring cup then pours it into a glass measuring cup - the extra step is important.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Boiling ground beef is a thing but it's browned first, then simmered to further break down the meat into a finer texture for sloppy joes or whatever, it doesn't change the flavor. You don't drain the water, just simmer it away. If you buy cheap ground meat it sometimes has enough water to achieve the same thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know who does or doesn't cook ground meat like a burger but I always have. Plonk it down in the pan, crust one side, flip and crust the other, then break it up. Once browned, if I want a finer texture (which I often do) I add about 3/4 cup water or beer and simmer until the water evaporates while occasionally poking at the beef. Leaves you with small granules of browned beef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drive-by steak troll

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I save veg scraps in gallon freezer bags, when I have 2 bags I make stock. Sometimes I have to pour hot water over them to thaw to get it all in the pot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just made the best bean soup and since the bean thread is long dead I'm going to post it here since I made it in the IP.
1 lb white beans pre-soaked
4 chopped onions
1 TB turkey schmaltz
1 sprig rosemary
1 TB dry oregano
1/2 cup white wine
1 Qt homemade turkey stock
1 cup whey
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup water
splash of fish sauce

Saute onion in turkey schmaltz, add chopped rosemary, oregano, salt, wine. After the alcohol cooks off add rest of liquids. 40 minutes high pressure. Salt to taste. The liquid measurements are approximate, I didn't measure any of them except the stock.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I find that scooching it around at first helps but if it does stick I cut off the heat for a minute or two and let it steam itself loose.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made another amazing bean soup, chorizo, onions, butternut squash, okra, chicken stock, ras el hanout, salt/pepper, 1/2 cup of whey, 1# white beans, 40 minutes in IP. Topped with cilantro and served with rice. loving delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
IP website has a whole page on rice that is spot on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Weird coincidence, I made rice and frozen cod tonight but the fish was way overcooked, tough and chewy. I put a wire rack over the rice so the fish wouldn't wouldn't sit in the water. 8 min pressure, natural release, where did I go wrong?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

marshalljim posted:

Don't cook fish in a pressure cooker.

That was my thought but figured it was worth a try since it seems to be working for some.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What kind of fish, how big, how long?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shroomie posted:

As for fish, ATK's Mediterranean Instant Pot has a handful of fish recipes. I think they have you turn it off and quick release as soon as it reaches pressure.

This is supposedly rice + fish at the same time which would be a convenience.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hmmm, I've been doing rice for 8 min, didn't realize you do it in 3. I'll try it tomorrow.
edit; went 4 minutes + natural release and it was perfect. I'm even more impressed with the IP.

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BraveUlysses posted:

use water, hth

put rice in a bowl, add water, rub with hands, and then drain off rinse water and add fresh water

This exactly. I cheat and put the rice in a wire mesh strainer in a bowl of water, stir vigorously with my fingers, lift, give it a quick rinse and done. It's surprising how milky the water is after washing the rice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a mesh strainer and bowl that happen to fit together but I've done it with just a bowl. I also have one of those plastic Japanese rice rinsing bowls, they suck rear end because the holes are just big enough so that rice gets stuck in them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I soak beans because I like the texture better, ymmv.

My latest craze is IP potatoes. I fill it up, add a cup of water, set for 14 minutes, natural release, and then I have a bunch of potatoes that are cooked and I can do whatever I want with him. I can oil and put them in the oven to crisp the skin, eat them as it is, smash or mash them, slice and fry. Last week I made two batches, filled up a big bowl with cooked potatoes and put them in the fridge and we snacked on them all week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My silicon ring for the lid smells really bad after making some pungent dishes. I followed the instructions in the manual to deodorize it by pressure cooking a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water and it didn’t do poo poo.

IP suggested putting in a freezer bag with baking soda but I haven't tried it. A 3 pack of extra rings is about $10 on Amazon.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love cheesecake and want to try an IP version but the IP cheesecake pans shot up in price during the pandemic and I'm too stubborn to pay the inflated prices.

In other news I made mixed bone broth and used that to make bean soup and my family said it was the best bean soup they've ever tasted. Probably cost less than $5 for the pot of soup, maybe $7 or 8 if I'm being honest.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Does it come up to temp and hiss without sealing or just never heats up? If the former, try pressing down on the lid, also make sure the valve is closed. If the latter, I have no idea but would call instant pot or exchange it.

If anything there is too much liquid, usually 1:1 for instant pot. So you have 1/2 cup extra plus whatever moisture is left in the onions and celery. I don't see any reason it wouldn't come up to pressure for this recipe. Try making just white rice... 1:1 ratio, 3 min, natural release; and see if it seals.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A pot is either going to heat up or it isn't, and if it heats it will seal or not seal, there aren't a lot of variables. We know it heats and seals so it doesn't make sense that it doesn't heat or seal just because you add chicken. Might be user error.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never had a problem after browning but I do add liquid and scrape the bottom like you would do in a skillet to make a pan sauce. It shouldn't be overheating since he's adding 2 cups of liquid. Try adding the liquid first, scrape, then rice.

fknlo posted:

The lid is on tight and it absolutely builds heat. I haven’t had a chance to try and cook rice or anything yet. It’s a 6 qt and I’ve never had issues with any other recipe. There will be a slight hissing from what sounds like the relief valve but it also did that with just water when it fully sealed.

There will be a few seconds of hissing before enough pressure builds to seal but if it keeps hissing, even a little, something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Beachcomber posted:

My "favourite" thing about online recipes so far is that they don't count the time to heat up or naturally release, even though the recipe calls for that.

Baked potato in 14 minutes also involves 8 minutes of heating and 20-30 of releasing, bringing you up to 52 minutes, which I could use to make a real baked potato in the oven.

Honestly the time saving ability so far seems to be for things that normally take 3 hours or more. Everything else you can do just as easily using conventional methods.

Try using less water. I make potatoes in the IP all the time: Add 1 cup water and wire rack, turn on warm, wash potatoes, 14 min for large, 13 minutes for medium, 10 min for natural release if you want to wait.

I make a full pot and during the week slice them for fried potatoes, only takes about 3 minutes per side.