Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thunder Moose posted:

Perhaps not a-typical, but delicious and simple nonetheless:

3-4 pounds second-cut beef brisket

1 cup of freshly made coffee
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
12 ounces of your favorite BBQ sauce
Blend/mix these together - stew your brisket in the crock-pot for 8 hours on low minimum, serve on toasted onion brioche rolls.

I am trying to wrap my head around this one. What, if any, was the texture of the beef? Was it cut up before cooking or just fell apart during?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BLARGHLE posted:

That's the half assed alternative to smoked pork/beef. It works pretty well with chicken thighs though!

To clarify: it was the eight hours under pressure that confused me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I made this Bolognese sauce in the pressure cooker the night before last and my fiance is still raving about it. I didn't find pancetta so I just used smoked bacon and I forgot to add the cream at the end, but it was still amazing. We have yet to be disappointed by the pressure cooker.

EDIT: If I make this cream of mushroom soup but use my leftover beef stock instead of the vegetable stock in the recipe (and omit the added salt), does that sound like it would result in some sort of catastrophe or would that probably be fine?

Do you like beefy and mushroomy flavors together? I think it would be mighty tasty....

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

If I got that cookbook how would I have to adjust the time for a stovetop cooker that reaches 15psi? Is there some sort of calculation I can plug in, or should I just wing it?

I came to post the same thing. I think the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker I have doesn’t go as high as the instant pot but it’s big enough for two whole turkey carcasses so I must be a pressure cooker size queen.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ordered an 8 quart instant pot for friends for Christmas.

I have one of the huge stovetop Kuhn Rikon stovetop jobs, and it’s awesome but I will be curious how the instant pot compares. Wondering if it might make a good second gizmo for when I don’t want to make stock from two whole turkeys at once.

I did use mine to do three full loads of tamales today, and about an hour with natural release worked great. Won’t ever do stovetop for 2-3 hours in the giant tamale put again. I can do more in the same time with my pressure cooker. The last round it didn’t want to get started (wouldn’t start pressurizing to lock) but we muscled it on eventually.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jay Carney posted:

I didn’t use a pressure cooker at all I mean and still only cooked them an hour. Steamed em

You way under cooked them. They should set up and pull away cleanly from the husk. I took three goes at pressure the first time to get them set and not mushy. Ended up doing them for an hour and slow release by the third batch and that was okay, the slow release helped them set.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jay Carney posted:

God drat. This explains everything. Thanks so much. Even the Bayless recipe said 1.25 hours and my mother said “when they are ready you’ll know” like I’m in Coco and my Mexican ancestors will float out of the pot telling me they are set.

Tamale Sense takes a long time to develop. I’m maybe 5-7 years in and I can kind of tell when the smell is right. I figure 20 years to master total, doing them only at Christmas time. The sauce and meat are the same thing, takes time and wondering and figuring it out.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rime posted:

How much did it cost them to drum up 800 5 star reviews and add 100+ "found this helpful" clicks to each of them. :psyduck:

Amazon review boosting is the new SEO.

Amazon has yet to invent the “google dance” for reviews so far as I can tell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, how about that new InstantPot coming that can do canning and higher PSI?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I got a good pound or so of pork shoulder cut into rough cubes in the freezer. What can I make with it in the IP?

Carnitas!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

I've got a few pounds of flanken-cut beef short ribs that I'd like to do Korean-style, like a kalbi/galbi kinda thing. Has anyone done that or know of a half-decent recipe for a pressure cooker?

If they are thin and across the bones do you even need to pressure cook them?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pressure cooker carnitas are life changing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

How long do you have the pork shoulder under pressure? I tried it recently and was way underwhelmed.

I had ~2” chunks and did them for 40 minutes, with 15 minute natural release. Took a while to come up to pressure and I could have gotten away with 30.

Finished under the broiler, then chopped. Unbelievably awesome. My whole house smells of pork, as it should.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hollismason posted:

After I kept reading and hearing about it I went ahead and bought a 6 quart Instant Pot plus a accessory pack. Really looking forward to using it.

What should I make first!

I know people say by the biggest one but one of the huge problems I have is since it is just me I always actually make too much food and then I get really tired of eating the same thing over and over till its gone.

Simply don’t fill it all the way. Make carnitas!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Thank you, but being honest about my laziness, I am not ever going to cube a pork shoulder before making pulled pork

Costco country style boneless pork ribs. Thank me later.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mentalcontempt posted:

Can you link to a recipe?

heffray posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

I do the pork part of this for about 65 minutes at Meat / high pressure: put pork, oranges, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and cinnamon in IP and cook. When finished, fish out the not-pork parts, sprinkle with oil, and broil briefly until crisp. I usually skip the salsa.

This follows my usual method where I take a Serious Eats recipe that involves browning something, deglazing it by sautéing vegetables, putting everything back together and cooking in a Dutch oven for 4 hours as "put ingredient list (skip the broth) in IP, cook for as long as the meat calls for". Pork shoulder or stew beef falls apart 60-70 minutes, more delicate meats are much faster.

I basically mashed Kenji's recipe (above) with this: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-carnitas/

I used Costco pork country spare ribs, which are just slices of boneless pork butt. I know some country style ribs aren't, but the Costco ones were absolutely slices of butt, which was perfect for this application. It was like $2/lb and took literally a minute to cube up. I only did 40 minutes and it was still a little too long I think.

Finished them under the broiler the first day, reheated and crisped on the stove since then.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ranter posted:

don't be like my housemates putting broccoli in the IP.

Why?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dino. posted:

We cannot escape salsa chicken. It has infected this place too.

Hot take: salsa is just mirepoix with tomato and jalapeños

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

I made my first ever risotto in my pressure cooker and it came out fantastic. Will definitely be doing that again.

I had to stop doing this on a weekly basis because my pants stopped fitting. It’s that good. And infinite variety.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Any specific risotto recipe y'all are using? I wanna jump on this train..

Serious eats has a few variations on the theme. Start with the mushroom.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, I know the feeling. I put a shitload of veggies in there, but I need to work out some way to make it healthier.

The rice and the ungodly amounts of fat work against you.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love my 12Qt Kuhn Rikon stovetop pressure cooker. It is especially awesome for all the things that make my instant pot give the dreaded BURN warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

How is the pressure regulator? I've only used my current one where you turn a dial to low or high then turn down the hob. Do you have to adjust the heat to attain the pressure you want with the Kuhn Rikon?

Does it seem like it will last forever? If I'm going to spend £200 on a pan of like easy access to replacement gaskets and components that feel solid.

You regulate the pressure by the hob only. There are two lines on the valve to show is you are at low or high pressure. No regulation at all on the pot.

It feels like it will outlast at least me if not my kids, really well built. Worth it.