Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

The problem with you trying to use this piece as a silver bullet against the argument I'm espousing is that it was written in 1998 - before Putin came to power, before the Russian political system swung hard towards nationalism, before neoconservatism of the Bush era convinced the Russian public that the U.S. would act unilaterally to weaken or destroy any government it didn't like, seemingly on a whim. A lot has changed since 1998.

And to preempt your inevitable complaint that I've cited works from 1995 and earlier, let me remind you that what people like Kennan, Dean, Nunn, and Matlock predicted, did in fact come true. NATO expansion and neoconservative foreign policy helped radicalize the Russian voting public and the government, and that goes a long way to explaining Russia's aggressive stance towards some of its neighbors in the present day.
Seems like you're bolting the NATO expansion on to the more likely issue, that being the aggressive foreign policy championed by neoconservatives, which (seemingly) affirmed the aggressive interventionist stance of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

There's a reason why the turn of phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back" is so ubiquitous. While there were other factors than just NATO expansion, it was a significant factor, and without it, Russia would likely not have been as aggressive as it currently is.
To turn the analogy on its head, maybe it's more like the NATO expansion was a bunch of straws, and neoconservative policies* were the log that would've broken the camel's back no matter what.

*plus all the poo poo eigenstate is talking about.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 9, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, therein lies the problem - because America's interests, and the interests of our Old European allies, do not align with the interests of New Europe all that much in this case.
Not having Eastern Europe be a basket case like Ukraine is certainly in the interest of everyone in Europe, since it facilitates trade, puts some distance between us and any hot spot, and reduces the risk of cross-border criminal organizations wreaking havoc. Western Europe has no interest in sharing a border with a European Mexico, and possibly even worse, a European Mexico that can't be fixed because Russia is constantly undermining any attempt at fixing poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, first of all, Mexico is a pretty great country to be bordered with, all things considered.
I'm betting a Mexico not rife with organized crime and corruption would be a better neighbor.

Majorian posted:

Secondly, and more importantly, I also think that having stability, democracy, human rights, etc, in Eastern Europe, benefit the US and Old Europe. But I also think that the course of action that you and others advocate will not only not help those things in Eastern Europe, but they will also undermine American and Western European interests elsewhere.
Look at the Eastern European states that joined NATO. Now look at Moldova/Ukraine/Belarus/Russia. IT HAS ALREADY HELPED.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

If you are talking about economic growth and corruption, that is more the EU than anything.
I have a hard time seeing how you separate the two though. Membership of EU and the option of joining NATO is sort of a package deal, a giant carrot to encourage a more Western outlook in Eastern Europe. Taking NATO membership off the table would be actively telling these countries that they would always be second-tier within the EU, and btw Russia, we don't actually care about them enough that EU membership is a solid guarantee that we'll do more than the minimum to defend them if you want to gently caress with them. (Because in that case we would have let them join NATO.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It is possible to be in NATO not the EU though (Albania).
True. I meant it more in the sense that EU membership pretty much implies (or implied at least) a belief that the rest of the EU saw you as an equal partner in the future of Europe. If NATO membership was deliberately kept off the table for Eastern European members then it would clearly be a case of Western Europe being an exclusive club of members with special privileges, while Eastern Europe would be relegated to being second tier. The expansion of the EU pretty much necessitated an expansion of NATO too, unless the EU created a unified military which could replace NATO as a guarantor of independence. (Which would be immensely destabilizing on a global scale, heralding a return of the multipolar pre-WW2 world.)

Majorian posted:

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this: NATO benefited those states that joined it, at least in the short-to-medium term. In the long-term, it has destabilized the region, threatens to turn Russia into a proliferation risk again, and will likely hurt U.S. interests worldwide.
1. I don't believe it has destabilized the region much, compared to NATO adventures in non-NATO countries.
2. I'm quite confident that the region would be less stable both short- and long-term if NATO had not expanded like it did.

Majorian posted:

e: You and others seem to have tunnel vision on this issue, where you think that the only people that could lose out from this crisis are those living in Poland, the Baltics, and Ukraine. But the fact of the matter is, the Baltics and Poland probably aren't going to get attacked in any meaningful way,
Except I just pointed out how a stable Eastern Europe is a boon to everyone in Europe, ergo a crisis in Eastern Europe is a problem for everyone in Europe. Also, what does "attacked in any meaningful way" even mean?

Majorian posted:

Ukraine is and has been beyond our salvation, and in the meantime, everybody else on Earth stands to lose (and lose big) if a new Cold War starts with Russia.
A Cold War it's far from certain we would have avoided even without the NATO expansion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Nope. NATO helped make Russia receptive to the political platform advocated by nationalists like Putin. Putin obviously manipulates and exploits his population, but our past mistakes, and the mistakes we continue to make, helps make that manipulation and exploitation possible.
You mean like how we orchestrated a coup in Ukraine, then supported the new Ukrainian government in their attempt to commit genocide against Russian speakers?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Nope. Not claiming that, and I don't believe that's what happened. Nor have I given any indication that I think anything similar to this, so it's kind of dishonest for you to suggest that this is an opinion I hold.
Missing the point completely. What has currently got Russians in a tizzy is an essentially made up scenario, which doesn't seem to matter one bit. Our actions seem immaterial at this point compared to Putin's need to control the population through fear.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

No, you just don't have a response to my point, so you're dodging it.
Come on dude, you obviously missed it. Anyway, what point? Mind, disagreement with your conclusions is not missing the point.

Majorian posted:

Not really. NATO expansion has happened, the US hasn't taken expansion into Ukraine and Georgia off the table, the US has withdrawn from the ABM Treaty and planned to put ABM sites in former Eastern Bloc countries, and the US has adopted a neonconservative foreign policy. These are not made-up things; these are facts. Putin has certainly played them up to attain more public support, but it's silly to say that there aren't concrete things that we've done to help him in that regard.
But the current fever pitch of craziness is over a made up scenario, even if NATO/US politics had made Russians more receptive to it in the first place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Doesn't matter - the underlying issues still exist, regardless of whether or not the inciting event (in this case, the overthrow of Yanukovych) happened as the Russian public believes it happened. If things hadn't reached a boiling point over this precise incident, they inevitably would have done so over something else.
Okay, so the fact that Putin essentially created this crisis from scratch is irrelevant? What about the next time? I mean, given NATO's crimes in Ukraine, it'd be understandable if Russia went completely bonkers the next time something happened in Eastern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

We'd better talk them down from the ledge, then, hadn't we?
It doesn't seem like it's in the interest of Putin to get off the ledge though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

They certainly predict (correctly) that NATO expansion would lead to a rise in nationalism and an aggressive government. More importantly, though, I posted those to show you that this was not just an argument being made in hindsight, as you claimed.
Correlation=/causation.

Majorian posted:

Sure it is. If the US backs off on allowing Ukrainian and Georgian membership and says there will be no more eastward expansion for the foreseeable future, Putin can declare victory at home. He'll have thwarted NATO and poked the American imperialists in the eye. If that's accompanied with WMD reductions, everybody wins: the world has less nukes that could run loose at some point, the US and Russia don't have to pay to maintain the drat things, and their respective security situations are enhanced by having fewer warheads pointed at each others' countries.
You're confusing Russian interests for Putin's here. If he wasn't just a thief with the backing of the state, and was willing to forgo personal profits in favor of improving the lot of the average Russian then that would certainly be in his interest, but as is, the crazed nationalism card is really loving useful for a guy who doesn't offer much else to the people he rules.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Because when you actively silence your critics, you should that popular support is something you don't actually seek or need.
If you're a bad enough dude maybe, but silencing critics and controlling the media can also be a way to ensure popular support. Like making up flimsy excuses to invade your neighbors to polish your image as a defender of your subjects.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's how the Russian public perceives things. If you want them to stop being so aggressive towards their neighbors, you're going to have to either change their viewpoint, or else go to war with them.
How does one change the viewpoint of a people whose media is heavily controlled by people who helped foment that viewpoint in the first place?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Except that they were already well on the road to believing this before Putin came to power. You keep refusing to admit this, but it is unfortunately true.
Which is not particularly relevant to the question of how you change public perceptions in a state in which the media is controlled by people with the opposite agenda.

Majorian posted:

I've posted it several times over the last couple pages, and throughout this thread. See if you can find it yourself. (because I don't think you're even reading most of what I'm writing at this point)
You've posted suggestions which might work if Russia had free media, or the Russian government was interested in deescalation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

I wasn't implying that anybody was proposing this. I was using it as an example of something that could ease the overall tensions. How is this confusing?
But it's not something NATO can really do as a way to ease tensions, since it's entirely contingent on Russia. Either Russia keeps loving with Ukraine, in which case sanctions have to stay, or Russia leaves, in which case sanctions disappear as a result of reduced tensions. (As opposed to being a way to reduce tensions.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

It was part of a list of things we could do. That was hardly the only move forward that I included.

Are you sure you want to die on this hill? Because it really looks to me like you've misunderstood me because you didn't read what I wrote.
Presenting a thing which is absolutely the plan already as a thing which can do be done to ease tensions is a bit weak though, even if technically not contradictory.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

I was trying to be as comprehensive as I could be at the moment. I don't get why this is a big deal. Go back to my pie analogy - are you going to quibble with me if someone asks me to list pie ingredients and I include something obvious like corn starch?
Being comprehensive is not always a good thing, not if it's distracting (as it obviously is here) or if the addition of certain points makes for a lower average. Two good suggestions plus a blindingly obvious (and in this case practically a done deal already, as soon as Russia decides to take us up on the offer) one is not necessarily better than just the two good suggestions.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

It seems to me that it's distracting because you and MeLKoR are desperately trying to ding my argument on something, anything, because the main thrust of your argument is weak.
Desperately? Aside from my three (now four) posts on this page, my last post is on page 8.

e: Your 136 posts to my 19 makes you 7 times as desperate as me.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 12, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Hilariously, Germany has been lukewarm on the alternate too: Confronting Russia is difficult due to their natural gas and coal ties.
To be fair, it's natural to be lukewarm about confronting one's good friends.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

You've basically listed the reasons why EU membership was never, ever, ever going to be on the table then *or* now. What part of that is supposed to be an attractive prospect for membership? Bulgaria and Romania together accounted for not even a third of the population of Russia and we have seen the opprobrium their application generated. EU leaders would have shat a collective gold brick at the prospect of being financially responsible for Russia. Hypothetical risks or not, there's no way you could have time travelled back to 1998 and convinced anyone this would have been a good idea with the information available at the time.
I had a look at the EU budget, to try to figure out a ballpark number of the impact of Russia joining the EU. Taking the average per capita amount of Euros received by Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Hungary (closest in terms of GDP to Russia) and applying it to Russia would see the amount of Euros the net recipients of EU funds in the EU receive increase by 130%. Assuming a healthier Russia with a GDP between that of Portugal and Slovenia, we would still be talking about a 70% increase. In the case of Denmark (greatest per capita contributor), that would be either 0.4% or 0.7% of our GDP going directly to fund a country which would increasingly be dominating the EU through its sheer size and gas exports. I'm not sure our population would be happy about that. The numbers for Italy and Germany would be roughly 0.3% or 0.5% of GDP, which I doubt they'd be particularly happy about either, outside Russia redefining what it means to be a big country in the EU. Alternatively there is of course the possibility of net recipients and contributors being rebalanced to accommodate Russia, but this would likely mean a significant reduction in EU support for other Eastern European countries, while adding an additional burden on countries like Spain.

On top of the direct economic effects on the EU budget, there is also the political effect of Russia joining the EU. Would Russia be as eager to get rid of the corruption within itself, when it (unlike Romania) would be far more able to set the tone in the EU? Might it not instead hinder this process in its immediate neighborhood, not necessarily through any ill intentions, but simply through doing business as usual? Especially if Russia joining the EU meant less EU support for the rest of Eastern Europe. Russia might simply be too big a bite for the EU to process, even more so if it accompanied the rest of Eastern Europe. The alternative of stringing Russia along until Russians realize that Europe won't ever let them in probably wouldn't be ideal either.

Finally there is of course the issue that the EU has a history of doing poo poo in the dumbest way possible, preferring to just make a treaty stating that bad poo poo isn't allowed, and pretending this means it won't. I can just imagine a Eurocrisis, except with Russia standing in for Greece.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

A Buttery Pastry: I do appreciate you posting all of that and crunching all those numbers - it was a really good post. But keep in mind, what you're talking about would only play a part if Russia were allowed to become a member immediately, without any prerequisites. What I'm talking about is promising a road to membership with concrete commitments.
I did mention the alternative of stringing Russia along. That scenario could either be the EU doing what it did to Turkey, for similar reasons, or it could be a perception in Russia that unreasonable demands were being imposed on it by a bunch of smaller states. Like, if we assume Russia came out of the 90's with a healthy and increasingly diversified economy, then you'd be talking about what could still be classified as a legit superpower. How would taking orders from a country partially made up of a former vassal state which broke free only 2 decades before really play in Russia? If Russia was doing so well, why wouldn't Russian politicians start doing the usual Euroskeptic thing and talk about how the EU is just a bunch of bureaucrats trying to legislate the color of vodka?

That's ignoring that letting a Russia like this join the EU would to some degree be handing over the reigns of Europe to it, or at the very least, that would be how it would be perceived in most of Europe. And Russian politicians aren't the only ones sensitive to that kind of thinking among the voters. Maybe it would have been a good thing for Russo-European relations, but politically it is and was a non-starter.

Majorian posted:

Well, wait a minute though. It looks to me like they did precisely that with their relatively recent austerity measures.
With austerity they can go "there is no alternative!!" and harp on the "morality" of it all. That really isn't the case for Russian membership of the EU.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Well, at least we all got to see MAD in action.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

I know who he's referring to, I just don't understand why he makes sure to mention the word "Fishmech" in every reply instead of calling him by his name and what relevance it might have.
It's a way to automatically win an argument. "This guy is a notorious troll, ergo he's arguing dishonestly, thus I win by default."

Raenir Salazar posted:

Further peace and collective security, the further demiliterizing of Russia as they no longer feel the need to maintain a military as a sign of great power status; Russia itself produces a very large number of engineers and highly educated individuals who I imagine would be great for the further technological advancement and innovation in the European market. Cheap labour for a time, more leverage when dealing with Arab states (because Russia will be less disposed or in fact disallowed to subordinate its energy industry to purely Russian national interest), reduced tensions as Ukraine and Russia likely won't be in dispute over the fate of Sevastopol; greater access to the Russian domestic market for European goods; preferential foreign investment treatment similar to the Chinese special economic zones?

Russia having a dominant voice doesn't have to be bad anymore than France or Germany having a dominant voice already does; or the USA having a dominant voice in NAFTA. You just guide the process along so by the time it does happen Russia is thoroughly Europeanized to the point where its voice is still broadly representative of European intrastate interests.
Germany (alone, now that France has pretty much let Germany take the reigns) has a dominant and deleterious voice in the EU presently, and Germany is a state with a decades long tradition of democracy, which had its nationalism beaten right out of it, right in the heart of Europe. There's absolutely no reason to believe Russia wouldn't likewise have dominated the EU to the point that the EU policy would be centered around the national interests of Russia rather than the EU as a whole.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

I think one factor you're missing here is that Russia was really, really economically weak during the 90's. They would have bent over backwards to get into the EU, and probably would have agreed to strong mechanisms that could keep Russia from playing too many games with their energy advantages. While I'm sure it would have had a substantial amount of pull over the EU, I doubt they would have occupied a bigger space than Germany. Quite frankly, they probably would have acted as a pretty useful counterbalance to the Germans.
Perfect counterbalance to the Germans? Given that it took Russia actively waging a war of conquest before Germany started moving into the neutral/slightly anti-Russian camp, and that Germany is so dependent Russian gas, I think the balance might be skewed enough that Germany ends up falling over to the Russian side. This process could be strengthened by the fact that Germany has been extremely hesitant to act in a strategic manner, preferring to just focus on the economy. A Russia in the EU would mean they'd be able to offload that responsibility unto Russia, which certainly has no problem thinking in those terms, much like France has basically just let Germany define the economic ideology of the EU.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Keep in mind, though, we're talking about an ideal, hypothetical, alternate timeline in which we didn't drive the Russian voting public into the arms of nationalists. I would hope that in that situation, the dynamic between Germany and Russia would be different than it is today.

And keep in mind, Germany wasn't exactly in a "pro-Russia camp" before Moscow invaded Ukraine; Merkel's government just knew that it probably wouldn't survive an energy war with Russia. They've been playing a very subtle, careful game out of necessity.
Does it matter why? As long as Russia has the gas that Germany needs, and German politicians get positions in Russian companies, it's going to be pro-Russian to some degree. Especially when the population as a whole is apparently slightly anti-American, which manifests itself as quite a lot of sympathy for Russia. A less nationalist Russia would also mean even less reason for Germany to question this relationship.

Majorian posted:

Also, it's hard for me to blame the Germans for focusing mainly on the economy when their military is still fairly limited.
Let's be realist about this, it's not a morality contest.

V. Illych L. posted:

A big problem for France is that the current economic orthodoxy of the EU was defined by the UMP regimes of Chirac and Sarkozy in collaboration with the Germans, so now Hollande is in he isn't just up against a stronger German economy, he's also against the established order of things. Hollande is not a particularly strong player, but his hand is also very weak. Make no mistake, the French moderate right is perfectly happy with the way the EU is set up at the moment.
Which is basically what I'm thinking would happen with Russia. Some German politicians sympathetic toward the policies championed by Moscow would make sure they became the established order, at which point it would become much harder to reverse them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

There's nothing more realist than focusing on what a country can and can't do.
Blame sounds like morality to me!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Additionally, with the US gently prodding European allies to assume a greater share of the military burden, and with the Ukrainian crisis seemingly having contributed to an increasing awareness among Europeans (however little) that their current defensive posture is no longer adequate and the peace dividend honeymoon is over. How will Russia respond to the inevitable political and military consolidation that will take place? Is there room for an emerging European military identity that won't cause Moscow consternation? The US has come around to the emergence of an European third pole because it wants to be able to direct its attention elsewhere. How, if at all, can Moscow be persuaded that this new Europe doesn't necessarily strive to represent a threat to them?
My guess would be that most Russian politicians would react like this guy:

Russian politician responding to the idea of an EU army posted:

"In the nuclear age extra armies do not provide any additional security. But they surely can play a provocative role," Klintsevich said, adding it was regrettable that such ideas had already met with some support.

Not sure how you'd get around that either. Like, if the EU goes crazy and bulks out its military to near-US standards, and then tells the US to take a hike (to get around the NATO problem), would that really assuage Russia? An EU that isn't just a silent partner of the US would seem much more worrying to me as a neighbor than an EU where occasionally the smaller countries in the EU + the UK have a play date with the US in some Middle Eastern country while the country running the show is fine with just making money and buying Russian gas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

site posted:

As someone who is coming in here not knowing anything and admittedly jumping in at the end, how unrealistic is it to think that the US could end up forming some kind of security partnership with China to head of Russia's antics? Would either side even be amenable to the concept?
This would sorta be like Britain deciding to ally with Germany against France during the run-up to WW1: Unrealistic, and entirely counter-productive in the long run. You don't team up with the country threatening to eventually usurp your status as ruler of the world to beat down a has-been power.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

My personal reading of China is that they really don't have any aggressive plans or strong aspirations of worldwide military hegemony. As has historically been the case with China, their foreign policy is a conservative one - the Middle Kingdom has everything it needs in it, let the rest of the world rot for all they care (but keep buying our poo poo, guys!). As long as American and Russian money keeps flowing into their coffers, they don't have much of a stake in a conflict between us and Moscow. True, they'd probably be happy to wrench some of the Far East away from Russia so that they can tap into its resources, but that's a pretty long-term goal.
China has a history of military adventures in its neighboring states though, and the current size of China is the result of conquest and colonization which has replaced native populations with settlers from the core. The Spratly Islands issue which China is trying to solve by simply building military bases to dominate the area don't really indicate a China content to accept its current boundaries either. Nor China's interest in an Azores base. The whole all "under heaven" concept of sovereignty also fits in perfectly well with China taking over America's position as world leader too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

There's a bit of a difference between wanting a few small islands off their coast that have historically been theirs, and seeking lebensraum on the other. There's not much evidence that they (or Putinist Russia, for that matter) have the global aspirations that you suggest.

E: That doesn't mean we should agree with their claims, but I do think it's a good idea to keep a little perspective.
And the US was strongly isolationist, right until it wasn't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Everyone has a history of military adventures if you're counting the entire history of every nation ever as if it were yesterday.
Majorians post was plainly taking a long historical perspective, so bringing up centuries old military adventures is perfectly fine. Plus even limiting yourself to the PRC still leaves you with wars/conflicts on pretty much every border.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, look - nobody's saying that China won't take on an aggressive foreign policy or try to supplant the US militarily sometime in the future. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. The US didn't automatically switch from isolationist to not-isolationist at the drop of a hat; there was a lot of stuff that happened to lead from point A to point B. That stuff hasn't happened with China yet.
Okay, we might be talking different time scales then. I'm thinking several decades from now, not anything immediate. For China really throwing its weight around I mean, an increasing rivalry might happen faster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

But it kind of does - or least makes it less bad, or more preferable. It would be a little silly to say that someone like Putin or China's post-Mao leaders have been as evil as Hitler, Stalin, or Mao. Russia's and China's rulers may be authoritarian and pretty bad people on the whole, but if I have to choose between someone who is going to kill millions of his own countrymen and help start a war that kills 50 million others on the one hand, and someone who's going to make vague claims to the Spratly Islands, I don't think too many people could judge me harshly for picking the latter option.
The exploitative imperialism closer to home was flooding the lands of other peoples with their own until they were the majority, forcing the local population into more marginal land. Though apparently it becomes less bad the moment the people you're oppressing are within your own borders? Never mind that those borders have a habit of moving outwards occasionally, let's not talk about that.

e: And really, using Hitler as the unit of badness seems kinda dishonest to me. Arguing that China has the potential for further imperialism on top of what it's already engaged in is not arguing that it's the next Nazi Germany. Nor does the existence of Hitler mean that Chinese imperialism isn't bad.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 18, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Precisely. With the additional point that if you compare the expansionist periods of China to the expansionist periods of the West they are incomparable in terms of "bad stuff happening." Not that China didn't have its own share of "bad stuff happening" its more that if they had done anything remotely comparable its been lost to history.
What is the "bad stuff" which the West did (as opposed to accidentally caused) which is incomparable to what China did, in your mind?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't recall the time where China conquered an entire continent an ocean away just for its resources while actively destroying the culture of indigenous peoples do you?
No, they conquered a decent chunk of another while actively destroying the culture of the indigenous people living there.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are you really saying that China acquiring over a thousand years its hinterland of whats Han China today is comparable to the British colonialization of India?
How can it be? India isn't populated largely by British people today.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

I see that you're making the wrong argument, yes. You seem to think that I'm playing the apologist for how China treats its minorities. I am not. What I am saying is that it's ridiculous to draw the conclusion that they will become a major world conqueror anytime soon purely from the way they treat their minorities.
Do you believe the US is a major world conqueror?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

To a degree. I think it's managed to do so by other means than most other hegemons in history, but it has also done its share of conquering.
It has, but not in its current phase of post-WW2 imperialism. I'm thinking Chinese imperialism might look very similar, with military might and economic clout being incentives for other states to voluntarily and slightly less voluntarily cooperate with them, which wouldn't really make the Chinese major world conquerors.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't obvious? Western domination comes after the establishment of the Westphalian system, where it became the norm that all states regardless of size or power have some nominal right to sovereignty and non-interference of their internal affairs. To justify circumnavigating this the West, in which Britain was no exception had to rationalize a world view where the states created by non-whites were somehow inherently inferior and not worthy of those statuses and protections; the people were inferior, their religion and customs were "dangerous" because it prevented them from going to heaven and so they must be converted at gunpoint and so on.

I as an average joe was never at this sort of risk of being personally targeted for "help" under the Mandate of Heaven, only the dumb gently caress King who I had no say in choosing anyway and likely didn't like anyways.
Yet Britain's approach to imperialism meant it didn't have a solid long-term hold on most of the people(s) it had subjugated, while China's approach left them as largely politically irrelevant minorities with no hope of breaking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

When you make claims like "Russia is not a powerful country," your calling other people "child" or "kid" kind of loses its punch.
This implies it had any punch in the first place.

• Locked thread