Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Problem description: Simply put, the laptop no longer turns on. When pressing the power button it does not respond in any way, shape, or form. No blinking lights, no hard drive noises, fan does not spin, nothing.

Attempted fixes: I followed the troubleshooting guide on the HP website with regards to performing a full hard reset, including removing the battery to allow the capacitors to completely drain. (Did nothing.) I took apart the laptop and removed all components, and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the casing and all parts, making sure that everything was properly plugged in before and after removal of said components. (Did nothing.) I confirmed that the problem does not lie with the hard drive, as I was able to connect it to my desktop and access the data contained within. I tried getting the computer to work by leaving it plugged in to fully charge the battery (which did nothing) and attempted to get it to start by removing the battery and pushing the power button with just the power supply plugged in. (Did nothing.)

Recent changes: Recently replaced the Hard Drive as it crashed, which HP was happy to replace under warranty. Pretty sure that wouldn't cause this.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home.

System specs: HP Pavilion 15t-n200, Model number E9Z18AV

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

After trying all the above I contacted HP Support. They advised that they would perform a free repair as it was under warranty. Upon receipt of the laptop, they determined that as they had discovered liquid residue (loving three-year-olds and their loving chocolate milk!) that they would, as part of their policy, have to replace all of it and our warranty would not cover that. So now they are sending it back, and my already unhappy wife is going on week three with no laptop.

My google-fu tells me the most likely culprit is the motherboard, but at $230 a pop I really want to be sure first. Also I've never replaced a motherboard before so... that'll be fun.

So, the question: Does it sound like this is actually a Motherboard gone bad problem, or do I have another (cheaper?) problem?

Help me Tech Support Goons. You're my only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Problem description: Simply put, the laptop no longer turns on. When pressing the power button it does not respond in any way, shape, or form. No blinking lights, no hard drive noises, fan does not spin, nothing.

Check with a multimeter if the power supply it outputting. Could also be the socket that the power cable goes into, or the power switch. Depending on your knowledge you could short out the power button and see if it boots. If not it would likely be the motherboard.

I'd bet that the battery is just drained and there's something preventing it from getting juice from the power supply.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

garbagewater posted:

Check with a multimeter if the power supply it outputting. Could also be the socket that the power cable goes into, or the power switch. Depending on your knowledge you could short out the power button and see if it boots. If not it would likely be the motherboard.

I'd bet that the battery is just drained and there's something preventing it from getting juice from the power supply.

I have enough points in Knowledge: Electrical Engineering that I recognize most of those words. I'll do so reading and give it a shot when I get the thing back.

One thing I omitted (on accident; I forgot), is that when plugged in I have a solid amber light that typically denotes that the device is charging. It is amber regardless of whether the battery is in or not, it was always a solid green before when the battery was out and the laptop was running (to show it was getting direct power).

Dunno if that changes your opinion about any of the above.

Thanks for the advice!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried removing any of the RAM?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

Have you tried removing any of the RAM?

If it could be disconnected, it was disconnected. She only had the one ram card, as far as I know, and I removed it.

• Locked thread