Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mouse Dresser posted:

That's how you wind up with people like Megan, here.

Holy poo poo how the gently caress is she alive still?

Probably because none of this is threatening at all and she's just a big baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, don't non corn sugars end in -ose too?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, don't non corn sugars end in -ose too?

Yes. And some of the things she singles out are already covered by that anyway (eg. lactose in milk is a sugar ending in "ose", so that would cut out dairy anyway). In fact, cutting out all sugars (ending in "ose") means you can't eat most fruits or vegetables either. Or much of anything, really. And I don't think you can be allergic to cashews without being allergic to other tree nuts? If it's not a joke, it's someone who's just a really picky eater trying to justify it and make people cater to their weird dietary choices.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
sugars ending in -ose... like glucose? that thing required to create adenosine triphosphate, which moves the muscles, you used to hand a waiter that card?
stop tumblr 205

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lotron posted:

sugars ending in -ose... like glucose? that thing required to create adenosine triphosphate, which moves the muscles, you used to hand a waiter that card?
stop tumblr 205

She is a silicoid-kin.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder how many times her friends couldn't go to a new restaurant because she said "We can't go there they have X"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

bobjr posted:

her friends

lol

I do appreciate the effort that went into making a full-color business card for that stupid snowflake poo poo.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

walrusman posted:

lol

I do appreciate the effort that went into making a full-color business card for that stupid snowflake poo poo.

This really pisses me off, my mom used to babysit for a kid that had multiple severe food allergies. Like he would need to go to the hospital if he came into contact with any of his allergens. These loving assholes will make servers so jaded they will kill a kid that is just trying to hang out with his friends and go out with them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, here in the US at least, there's a strange bandwagon approach to having terrible, crippling diseases and disorders. The harder it is to actually pin down what causes them, the easier it seems to be to self-diagnose these things, whether it's fibro, or gluten allergies, or hell, even autism. It's been my experience that probably about half the people that say they have these issues, whether they're nut allergies or ADD, are completely looking for attention. About 40% are hypochondriacs looking for reasons they're sick, and 10% actually have the disease or disorder. Unfortunately this turns things around and bites everyone on the rear end, because at least half the people that get told about someone's condition immediately think they're in that 9/10 group that are making things up, regardless of if they are or not. Which is how you get people like chefs that lie about how they cook their food just to shut people up. It's incredibly stupid, and creates a society that's absolutely unbearable.

Then you have stupid poo poo like Morgellon's which is literally a made up disease that doesn't exist or people claiming that wind turbines change the air patterns in ways that make them sick.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

This really pisses me off, my mom used to babysit for a kid that had multiple severe food allergies. Like he would need to go to the hospital if he came into contact with any of his allergens. These loving assholes will make servers so jaded they will kill a kid that is just trying to hang out with his friends and go out with them.

Yeah I have a severe allergy and some intolerances that are legit and one in particular can kill me very dead and it's really irritating how many people just kind of decided they have downright stupid allergies. I also have a friend whose wife has a corn insensitivity (not an allergy mind just a sensitivity) that was legitimately diagnosed by a doctor but doesn't always get taken seriously because "lol dumb shits always claim that." I also have another friend who does in fact have celiac and can't consume gluten at all, ever. It seriously fucks him up.

I also don't think that woman really understands anything at all and holy balls is the formatting of that just awful. Coffee beans aren't beans so if you're allergic to beans you won't be allergic to coffee. Being allergic to anything that ends in "-ose" also means you are literally incapable of being a living, breathing human. Your body runs on glucose. Like seriously that's literally what runs your body. Most of what you eat that's a carbohydrate gets turned into glucose which fuels your furnace. Being allergic to glucose would be a very, very bad thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mouse Dresser posted:

That's how you wind up with people like Megan, here.

Holy poo poo how the gently caress is she alive still?

I have a difficult time with a lot of foods. I'm lactose intolerant, but also get the same symptoms with quite a few other foods, especially most fruits. Coffee and tea that are just the grounds/leaves do the same. That being said, I know none of it are allergies because I'm not stupid, and and would never, ever make such ridiculously expensive cards to make a restaurant's night a living hell. Here's the thing: unless I make all of my food from scratch with base ingredients, it could have anything that will cause discomfort or pain. From what I've read, lactose is an extremely popular additive to a lot of different types of foods that aren't dairy. I'm grown up enough to accept that as my own responsibility. She's likely not allergic to any of that, just suffers from discomfort like myself. But some people seem to think that food allergies produce minor acute symptoms similar to hay fever, whereas in reality food allergies are almost always life threatening. Tell them they're wrong and they freak out on you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The funniest one is "All beans" I think. Coffee beans aren't real beans and have nothing to do with greenbeans or soy beans. I'm sure there are other things we call beans that aren't, and things we don't call beans that are (there's at least peanuts.)

Also I don't think you can be allergic to just crab.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jun 10, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Aphrodite posted:

Also I don't think you can be allergic to just crab.

No, but some people do get a little queasy after eating seafood.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Picnic Princess posted:

But some people seem to think that food allergies produce minor acute symptoms similar to hay fever, whereas in reality food allergies are almost always life threatening. Tell them they're wrong and they freak out on you.

This irks me the most because my mom was hospitalized from food allergies when I was back in high school. Long story short, family went to a seafood place, she got shrimp alfredo and within an hour was red, feverish and started getting blisters/sores around her mouth. She was laid up for three days in emergency care while doctors treated her and tested her - turned out she was allergic to shrimp, which she previously had no problem eating, and they thought there was some cross-contamination with cooking at the restaurant.

Bip Roberts posted:

Probably because none of this is threatening at all and she's just a big baby.

Yep, that card reads like "I'm a petulant picky child disguised as an adult and will throw the biggest, stupidest tantrum if you don't bend to my every whim. Chicken nuggets and french fries, please."

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Isnt there a sort of gradient of tolerance for allergies? Like different allergic people can go into anaphylaxis from varying amounts of allergens?

I do have a friend who can tolerate the peanut dust that comes from things being made in the same place as peanuts but cant eat more than a few else she stops being able to breathe.

Though I do know that for something to be called an allergy it has to involve anaphylaxis.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isnt there a sort of gradient of tolerance for allergies? Like different allergic people can go into anaphylaxis from varying amounts of allergens?

I do have a friend who can tolerate the peanut dust that comes from things being made in the same place as peanuts but cant eat more than a few else she stops being able to breathe.

Though I do know that for something to be called an allergy it has to involve anaphylaxis.

Allergies are weird and the potential intensity actually varies by allergy types. Shellfish is a common allergy and is almost always "will literally kill you" bad. Peanut allergies are similar. On the other end of the spectrum there are allergies that are very rarely severe. Some allergies are related (I'm allergic to literally all seafood and that's actually kind of common) and often go together but once again it varies. I've met people that can't eat shellfish but every other sea creature is just fine. In my case shellfish kills me dead but fish fish just makes me puke a lot and be really unhappy for a few hours. I know people that have mild allergies that they can actually tolerate low levels of the stuff. As in "well I can eat like four or five pistachios but more than that I react to" levels.

Peanuts is actually one of the ones that can be so unbelievably bad that some schools aren't letting children bring peanut butter snacks and sandwiches anymore. However peanut allergy is unrelated to nut allergies. Nut allergies can be as weird as "all tree nuts" to "one particular kind of tree nut."

Some things classified as "allergies" aren't actually allergies at all. Celiac comes to mind. It is not an allergic reaction. At all. The weird thing about gluten is that it is in fact literally poison but humans have been eating so much bread for so long most of us have a high enough tolerance that if we ate nothing but bread all day every day we'd die of malnutrition rather than gluten. People with celiac though...hoooo boy. Fucks up their intestines something fierce.

Something doesn't necessarily need to involve anaphylaxis to be an allergy. That in particular is just an extreme form of reaction. Some people aren't at risk of that but will break out in hives and get rashes if they eat the wrong stuff. Anaphylactic shock is just one type of reaction but that sort of thing is why allergies are not to be hosed with. I've dealt with that twice so far and it is not a pleasant experience.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've got a shellfish allergy that causes swelling of my airways and hives. I also have a strong dislike for anything with a "fishy" taste, which I think is mostly a mental defense mechanism to prevent me from eating shellfish. This leads to people saying "have you tried ________? It doesn't taste like fish at all!"

gently caress you yes it does

if it spends its life with more than 40% of its body in water it tastes fishy. Seaweed, frogs, and every loving fish ever. Just accept that I don't want it

e/n

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't most diseases and sicknesses for most people directly tied to obesity and diet? I'm not talking fish allergies or nut allergies, I mean stuff like diabetes or types of cancer.

I think its hosed up that all of these medical drugs and procedures and lawsuits are directly advertised at people that can't afford it. You KNOW that its going to be them giving their money to hucksters or its going to be an increased reliance on public assistance. Not that I am against public assistance, but its hosed up that private entities push people towards it so they can collect a profit.

No it isn't the 20 years of McDonalds and Pepsi that did it to you, its this new DISEASE! Call now!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry little timmy, but maybe if you didn't eat so much loving taco bell you wouldn't have brain cancer now would you, you little fat fucker rear end in a top hat

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

The wine thing is absurd, even as a causal box wine drinker I can absolutely say that most cases, red and white wines have very distinctly different flavors. I am sure there are types of red or white that taste closer to the other but like, anyone with taste buds can tell a risling from a merlot.

Anyone with taste buds and eyeballs. Vision is a huge component of how we perceive the taste of food and countless experiments have confirmed that people will make mistakes in distinguishing very different and distinct flavors if they're colored in a misleading way.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That's interesting. I'd love to try that with wine sometime. That kind of thing is probably the main reason novelty condiments like green ketchup never took off.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That kind of thing is probably the main reason novelty condiments like green ketchup never took off.

When I was much younger, my parents bought green ketchup and my siblings loved it., but for some reason I could never get over the fact that it was green, at all. I couldn't even put it in my mouth even though I, intellectually, knew that it would taste the exact same. I even tried to close my eyes and try it, and I just couldn't do it. When I finally did manage to get myself to taste it, it tasted weird and wrong in a way that I couldn't define. Later on, I got up in the middle of the night and made myself a leftover hamburger without looking and got halfway through the burger before realizing I'd used green ketchup. It tasted exactly the same as red ketchup, but once I noticed it was green I just couldn't do it anymore. I've never had that strong an aversion to something food related (and I've eaten weird stuff like balut and durian before) so it really threw me off just how badly changing the color of the ketchup to a bright ecto-cooler green changed the way I perceived it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's interesting. I'd love to try that with wine sometime. That kind of thing is probably the main reason novelty condiments like green ketchup never took off.

To this day there are people that insist that Crystal Pepsi was cream soda or lemon line flavored.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Heard this on the radio and its the biggest garbage I've heard for a long time

http://www.starregistry.com/

You can buy and name a star for your loved ones!

Can anyone even own parts of space, including countries?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
What those organizations do boils down to "give us money and we will make you a very nice-looking certificate that says this star is the name you want but it won't be legally recognized." And then they will put the exact same star on another certificate for someone else.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some things classified as "allergies" aren't actually allergies at all. Celiac comes to mind. It is not an allergic reaction. At all. The weird thing about gluten is that it is in fact literally poison but humans have been eating so much bread for so long most of us have a high enough tolerance that if we ate nothing but bread all day every day we'd die of malnutrition rather than gluten.

i'm just gonna keep assuming this is total loving bollocks unless you can provide an actual cite

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

red plastic cup posted:

What those organizations do boils down to "give us money and we will make you a very nice-looking certificate that says this star is the name you want but it won't be legally recognized." And then they will put the exact same star on another certificate for someone else.

International Astronomical Union FAQ on buying star names is amazing:

quote:

Q: But if I want to, can I buy the name of a star anyway?

A: Sure, there are people who will be more than happy to take your money....

Q: Can you tell me who and where?

A: Sorry, we are a scientific organization, not a branch of the entertainment industry. We cannot distribute addresses of enterprises selling fictitious goods.

Q: OK, I found a dealer myself; what will I get from them?

A: An expensive piece of paper and a temporary feeling of happiness, like if you take a cup of tea instead of the Doctor's recommended medicine. But at least you do not risk getting sick by paying for a star name, only losing money.

You can smell the contempt they have towards people selling "star names".

Also, International Star Registry, company mentioned a couple of posts ago, are absolute loving assholes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Treaty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

These two things also point to "no you can't own space stuff".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The weird thing about gluten is that it is in fact literally poison but humans have been eating so much bread for so long most of us have a high enough tolerance
Yeah please provide a citation for this, because it looks, smells, tastes, and quacks like pseudoscience tbqh. Tried to do my own research but couldn't find anything that said anything of the sort that wasn't actually a Holistic Health Palaeo blog

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah please provide a citation for this, because it looks, smells, tastes, and quacks like pseudoscience tbqh. Tried to do my own research but couldn't find anything that said anything of the sort that wasn't actually a Holistic Health Palaeo blog

What about pop science shills? He has letters after his name and everything!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

It's something I read and something that two people I met with genuine celiac told me. It could be totally wrong but it sounded like it made sense. I can't find a citation so I could be just completely wrong. I'm human that happens sometimes.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

To this day there are people that insist that Crystal Pepsi was cream soda or lemon line flavored.

It wasn't but after Crystal Pepsi failed, they came up with "Crystal" which was citrus flavored.

Easy to confuse the two.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's something I read and something that two people I met with genuine celiac told me. It could be totally wrong but it sounded like it made sense. I can't find a citation so I could be just completely wrong. I'm human that happens sometimes.

Gluten is protein, it is no more toxic or poisonous than any other protein that makes up our diets.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

It wasn't but after Crystal Pepsi failed, they came up with "Crystal" which was citrus flavored.

Easy to confuse the two.

You just solved the mystery of why I thought Crystal Pepsi tasted exactly like 7-Up. That can is what I remember Crystal Pepsi being in, so it tracks. I was like 5 years old when the original version was around and I guess that's the only version that stuck with me.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jun 11, 2015

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bunnielab posted:

If you can tell the difference between a red and a white wine your mouth is broken.

I'm assuming there is a misprint somewhere, as its piss easy to tell them apart.

Reds have the heavier grape aftertaste than white wines. Whites are usually more bitter. Not a foolproof way, but you can tell most surely.

Anyway, scammer wine story.
Worked as a waiter in an Italian Restaurant, and our wine list went upto £200.
But the 3 cheapest was the 'house red', some named cheap red wine, and then the Carafe.
The Carafe was the dearest of the three, and was served in a thick bottle, thicker to give the illusion you were getting more than a normal bottle.
People would ask what was in the Carafe, and the owner (who was the only one allowed to serve and sell the wine) would say it's a dearer wine that he got from Italy when he was last back there.
The Carafe was just the house red with water in it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Restaurants are the worst about that, the mark up on wine is absurd. The one I used to work at had an... okay Pinot Noir we sold for 11 a glass/ 28 a bottle. I saw it in a liquor store for 6.99.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

Restaurants are the worst about that, the mark up on wine is absurd. The one I used to work at had an... okay Pinot Noir we sold for 11 a glass/ 28 a bottle. I saw it in a liquor store for 6.99.

Um no poo poo. Restaurants mark up drinks a lot because that is where they make the most profit. Long Island Ice tea, 76 cents to make in a huge glass, but they charge you $9 because people will buy it. That isn't sleezy or scammy advertising it is just how that industry works and survives.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Of course. The markups at that particular place were on the extreme side across the board, though, even knowing that. I made *great* money working there, but it never quite sat right with me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crow Jane posted:

The place I used to work at served margaritas on tap. There was the well margaritas, and for twice the price there were the premium patrons margaritas.

The premium recipient was as such:

- 9 handles Patrone silver
- 1 handle E&J brandy
- 3 handles citrone
- 24 bottles of diluted Finest Call margarita mix.

After a while they switched the Patrone for a tequila, I'd never heard of and only seen there called Aeroplano because it was $20 a handle. We continued to advertise it as being made of Patrone and never adjusted the price.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

After a while they switched the Patrone for a tequila, I'd never heard of and only seen there called Aeroplano because it was $20 a handle. We continued to advertise it as being made of Patrone and never adjusted the price.

I want to go to a foreign country and sell "Kentucky bourbon" that's just named "Car" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Crow Jane posted:

I found a wine we used to serve at the restaurant for $40 a bottle in the liquor store in a different province. Retail price: $10. It was also horrid wine.

e: Also, when my ex was in Jerusalem, he found a bottle of something called "Tequilla Flavoured Beverage". This resulted in one of the guys there puking on the holiest spot in the city at 9AM.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread