Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Jesus gently caress. Taking a quick Google at these cheap fluffs of garbage I certainly goddamn hope they were free.

:wtc:

When I was little my mom tried to supplement the family income by making & selling crafts (she's also trained to be a professional seamstress but in our rural area there wasn't enough of a market for those skills or something, she only got a couple of commissions a year). Mom's stuff was Pennsylvania Dutch-style folk art bullshit that took actual skill - her big sellers were hand-carved wooden checkers sets and soft-sculpture cows - but every show I helped her at (late '80s, early '90s) there would also be at least three tables of people selling these motherfucking pompoms for $3-5 apiece. Of course nowadays if you can even find a craft fair to check out it'll be 90% people selling candles. Why is candle-making the hot poo poo these days, is there a company marketing MAKE CANDLES USING OUR PRE-SCENTED WAX AND MAKE MONEY AT HOME? (They do all seem to be using the exact same scents...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Oh yeah, I know why companies do that kind of thing, but I still think it's a bit scummy.

However, I'm not talking about companies that seem to permanently have sales. That's been covered here. I'm talking about companies that have competitive normal retail prices for most of the year, but when Christmas or whatever comes along, they bump up the price of everything so the sales look better. That's a little different and more scummy to me.

A few weeks ago our Albertson's ran a "buy one, get two free" sale on fresh boneless skinless chicken breast. The week before the sale, boneless skinless chicken breast was $5.99 a pound. The week after the sale, it was $5.99 a pound. The week of the sale, it was $9.99 a pound. It was still a good deal, but they could've just done "buy one get one" without artificially inflating the price and it all would've worked out the same and still seemed like a great deal

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The weird thing about gluten is that it is in fact literally poison but humans have been eating so much bread for so long most of us have a high enough tolerance
Yeah please provide a citation for this, because it looks, smells, tastes, and quacks like pseudoscience tbqh. Tried to do my own research but couldn't find anything that said anything of the sort that wasn't actually a Holistic Health Palaeo blog

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I don't mind the google books captchas, but the ones that are NOT google books-based, but instead only give you ONE captcha to solve and it's some computer-generated incredibly-skewed weird-font "I think it is a 4 digit number?" lime-on-cyan bullshit with a static filter laid over it, now THOSE can be impossible to solve and just give you another impossible one on refresh

• Locked thread