Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Recently I got turned on to a game called Wild West Exodus. I can't stop thinking about wanting to play this game. The rules seem cool, I like the sales model, and the theme is right up my alley. However, I'm turned off by the fluff. Here's what I'm talking about :

Sitting Bull is a werewolf

Ulysses S Grant is Doctor Doom

Gustav Eiffel is a villain

In addition, the Confederacy is painted as sympathetic (they adopted emancipation and are trying to stop the power-hungry Union forces who are obsessed with manifest destiny).

I'm torn on this. I am considering just getting some of the basic Lawmen and Outlaws factions, which are much more silver screen heroes and villains, but would I be indirectly (or directly) supporting racism? When is it the right move not to play a game with fun rules and great models taken out of context? I mean these aren't super misogynistic like Kingdom Death, nor are they just straight up gross, but because the fluff exists I'm still on the fence. I'm used to seeing just outright disgustingly wrong minis, but I'm not sure how to go with something that is wrong because of the ideas they represent. They don't have slave models, but the game's fluff sweeps the racism of the confederacy under the rug, and most of the criticism I read about the handling of Native Americans in this game is less about treating them as dumb savages and more about insensitivity to the importance of differences between tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't play games that do confederate apologies.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Night10194 posted:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm not going to say you can never do an alternate history where America split in two but the southern half was the more progressive one. But if you do, maybe you shouldn't associate them with the historical Union and Confederacy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be buying any of it, thinking more about it. Such a shame they ruin a good game with really stupid story and stereotypes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

signalnoise posted:

In addition, the Confederacy is painted as sympathetic (they adopted emancipation and are trying to stop the power-hungry Union forces who are obsessed with manifest destiny).

Ah so it's a historically accurate game? Good to see games take on the War of Northern Aggression truthfully.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Malifaux has the same kind of problem. It is set in an alternate western setting as well, and they have Asian railway workers. Though it is based in history, and nowhere near displayed as racist.

I'm not familiar with the fluff behind the Indians for WW Exodus, but aren't they the "mystic spiritual" type of Indian? Plus it looks like they have a Spanish / Mexican faction where the troops are dirt farmers in huge sombreros? Ehh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Night10194 posted:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

I'm not familiar with the fluff behind the Indians for WW Exodus, but aren't they the "mystic spiritual" type of Indian? Plus it looks like they have a Spanish / Mexican faction where the troops are dirt farmers in huge sombreros? Ehh.

Yeah, they've definitely got some kind of spirit animal magic going on. I don't really get what the conquistadors are even doing in that time period, either other than supposedly looking for the fountain of youth, but I think Ponce de Leon had been dead for like 200 years at the time of the civil war.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Isn't WWX also heavily affiliated with Romeo Filip, dramatastic owner of Battlefoam?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I for one look forward to playing their World War 2 occult horror game and saving the world from the insidious legions of black-clad, gold-stealing wizened gnomes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I wouldn't play this game because I'm not big into the steampunk aesthetic, I find it very played out and tired. I prefer sci fi or fantasy touches to historical eras to be more subtle and light handed. I am confused as to why its not okay to play sympathetic, good guy Confederates (no argument here) but its cool to do Bolshevik themed paint jobs.

Edit: also forgot to mention if this is something that interest you go ahead and play it and if you run into any opponents that have creepy views avoid them in the future

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Night10194 posted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel your pain on this subject: I love the idea of alternate histories with weird technology and maybe even magic, and I like those models as well, but I could not in good conscience support financially people that paint in a positive light a slave-holding nation.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The thing that gets me is that it's a complete 180 from what the Confederacy was actually predicated on. I mean, you look at the personal and public writings of high-ranking Confederates, the establishing documents of the Confederacy, and the revisions that states made to their constitutions when they joined the Confederacy, and it's bluntly obvious that the Confederacy was established in great part due to being butthurt over not being able to utilize slaves in their rear end-backwards economic system. Then in WWX, you got them going "oh, totally our bad dudes, now we're all about free men and being plucky rebels against the authoritarian Union!" At best, it's a bad attempt to make a faction more palatable to the average game, at worst it's apologism and/or whitewashing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Pyrolocutus posted:

The thing that gets me is that it's a complete 180 from what the Confederacy was actually predicated on. I mean, you look at the personal and public writings of high-ranking Confederates, the establishing documents of the Confederacy, and the revisions that states made to their constitutions when they joined the Confederacy, and it's bluntly obvious that the Confederacy was established in great part due to being butthurt over not being able to utilize slaves in their rear end-backwards economic system. Then in WWX, you got them going "oh, totally our bad dudes, now we're all about free men and being plucky rebels against the authoritarian Union!" At best, it's a bad attempt to make a faction more palatable to the average game, at worst it's apologism and/or whitewashing.

"It's not about slavery, it's about ethics in government!"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's a weird kind of revisionism that's prominent across the whole spectrum of film and television, and it's an attempt to obliterate the economic dimension of the Civil War. Even relatively "progressive" films frequently eschew showing or commenting on the labour relation between a master and a slave in favor of cartoonishly villainous plantation owners who apparently kept slaves around so they could be mean to them. Adolph Reed, Jr. has a nice article regarding this.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
A lot of stuff he said I agree with, but it felt like he was masturbating the entire time. I couldn't make it through his writing; the guy is kind of insufferable.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

FastestGunAlive posted:

I am confused as to why its not okay to play sympathetic, good guy Confederates (no argument here) but its cool to do Bolshevik themed paint jobs.

Probably because the Bolsheviks didn't go to war for their right to own other human beings?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

FastestGunAlive posted:

I am confused as to why its not okay to play sympathetic, good guy Confederates (no argument here) but its cool to do Bolshevik themed paint jobs.

I mean serious resurgent Stalinists are kinda less common than Confederate apologists or neo-Nazis. Like in person I guess they'd be very rude to rich people instead of fantasizing about shooting their black neighbors?

Plus it's probably ironic in a way that the Wehrmacht/Confederacy fanboys tend not to be.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 9, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bendigeidfran posted:

I mean serious resurgent Stalinists are kinda less common than Confederate apologists or neo-Nazis. Like in person I guess they'd be very rude to rich people instead of fantasizing about shooting their black neighbors?

Plus it's probably ironic in a way that the Wehrmacht/Confederacy fanboys tend not to be.

Basically yea, when someone makes Stalin's Winter Guard or whatever 9 out of 10 times it's a joke and the only real thought behind it is 'ha ha for Mother Russia right' but when someone makes Hitler's SS But With Robots there's probably not a joke there. At best it's just dumb shock 'ha bet you're offended by these swastika banners huuuuuh' (nope, just assume you're a dumb racist) or at worst it's because they do actually have some Opinions About Inferior Races to share.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stalinists don't seem interested in collecting Soviet miniature armies, the aesthetic arguably isn't as appealing as the Nazi aesthetic (the latter of which has appeared everywhere from here to Star Wars), and we haven't spent decades subtly glorifying the Red Army like we have the Wehrmacht.

Stalinism is an intellectually-bankrupt hipster political stance on the Internet, not so much a fashion choice.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hugo boss didn't design stalin's poo poo. Those nazis looked really sharp.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also, stalinism appeals more to the eat-the-rich crowd, who tend not to play expensive tradgame hobbies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The term you guys are looking for is Lost Cause Revisionism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy
It's one of the many ways the South has been forced to deal with the Civil War, because in many ways in the South the Civil War was a war where extremely rich and wealthy people sent hundreds of thousands of poor, uneducated yokels who had never owned a slave in their life to die so that they could stay wealthy. The issue is now they have to reconcile how to handle their ancestors being nominally good and moral people (although let's be real, they were also probably huge racists because come on) who fought to prop up one of the worst institutions our government has ever been a part of. And so they become the historical equivalent of those Episode I fans who ignore Jar Jar and the two hours of trade politics because pod racing and that lightsaber fight were hecka rad bro.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The term you guys are looking for is Lost Cause Revisionism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy
It's one of the many ways the South has been forced to deal with the Civil War, because in many ways in the South the Civil War was a war where extremely rich and wealthy people sent hundreds of thousands of poor, uneducated yokels who had never owned a slave in their life to die so that they could stay wealthy. The issue is now they have to reconcile how to handle their ancestors being nominally good and moral people (although let's be real, they were also probably huge racists because come on) who fought to prop up one of the worst institutions our government has ever been a part of. And so they become the historical equivalent of those Episode I fans who ignore Jar Jar and the two hours of trade politics because pod racing and that lightsaber fight were hecka rad bro.

This is the most amazing post

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

drat that's some deep poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was 20 minutes of trade politics at most and the podracing and lightsaber fights kicked rear end.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If we're talking about fluff embarrassments involving real-world history, Scion has to get a mention, if only for the bit where Hernan "The Killer" Cortes is established to be a Scion of Quetzalcoatl who was deliberately intended to destroy the corrupt Aztec civilization. Stay classy, White Wolf!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Antivehicular posted:

If we're talking about fluff embarrassments involving real-world history, Scion has to get a mention, if only for the bit where Hernan "The Killer" Cortes is established to be a Scion of Quetzalcoatl who was deliberately intended to destroy the corrupt Aztec civilization. Stay classy, White Wolf!

Everything about Scion was a mistake, from rules to fluff. It was the kind of product that you could give WW a pass for if it was made in the early 90's days of Vampire, but... it came out in 2007. It was like "C'mon, White Wolf, what were you thinking?"

Of course, it won an ENnie. I guess the WW execs had pictures of the judges blowing a donkey at GenCon.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I think my favourite is where Monte Cook decided it was a good idea to nickname the citizens a Numera town called Beanstalk "beaners".

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Firefly is the supreme example of the Lost Cause in sci-fi.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Firefly is the supreme example of the Lost Cause in sci-fi.

I've always found it amusing how many nerds love the Browncoats, nerds who would otherwise be very against everything they stand for.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nah, the Civil War analogy in Firefly was that the confederacy won, which is why there were still slaves and that planet with duelist pseudo-aristocrats.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If that was the intention they hosed it up by making the browncoats the rebels, evoking 'lost cause' sentiment and directly creating analogies to the Civil War. If they had wanted to subvert the theme, they should have really made the Browncoats an established government that lost against a largely reactionary uprising (I think the FTL videogame has you as a Federation member facing against a stronger rebel force).

Firefly, on the other hand, feeds directly into Lost Cause revisionism because not only it portrays the rebels as the good guys, but paints the opposition to them as utterly evil/expansionist, which in the end was the entire point of Lost Cause propaganda.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Firefly's browncoats as good guys/union also fails on another historical parallel. The core planets were the industrial and population base, the browncoats were depicted as agriculturalists. Also, the South was at least as manifest destiny loving as the Union. One of the gripes that caused them to secede in the first place was the fear they wouldn't be able to spread slavery westward.

As much as I like Eberron, I always thought the depiction of Zilargo was just a little too close to some vicious Jewish stereotypes for comfort.

Edit: Goddamn spelling.

wallawallawingwang fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Secede

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wallawallawingwang posted:

Firefly's browncoats as good guys/union also fails on another historical parallel. The core planets were the industrial and population base, the browncoats were depicted as agriculturalists. Also, the South was at least as manifest destiny loving as the Union. One of the gripes that caused them to succeed in the first place was the fear they wouldn't be able to spread slavery westward.

As much as I like Eberron, I always thought the depiction of Zilargo was just a little too close to some vicious Jewish stereotypes for comfort.

My exposure to Eberron is mostly that they're just secretive spy-gnomes and their House operates a messaging service. Other than the usual "dwarves/gnomes = jews" stereotypes in fantasy I'm not sure what's supposed to be overly Jewish about them. Considering that Zilargo geographically is a silo-ed off part of Breland, I'm almost convinced that Keith Baker's own Eberron homebrew doesn't even include gnomes at all.

On the other hand, secretive wealthy conspiracy The Aurum, who have their base in the Mror Holds, the dwarven homeland, are made up of mostly dwarves and humans, and try to control the world through money...

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

bewilderment posted:

My exposure to Eberron is mostly that they're just secretive spy-gnomes and their House operates a messaging service. Other than the usual "dwarves/gnomes = jews" stereotypes in fantasy I'm not sure what's supposed to be overly Jewish about them. Considering that Zilargo geographically is a silo-ed off part of Breland, I'm almost convinced that Keith Baker's own Eberron homebrew doesn't even include gnomes at all.

On the other hand, secretive wealthy conspiracy The Aurum, who have their base in the Mror Holds, the dwarven homeland, are made up of mostly dwarves and humans, and try to control the world through money...

Well like you said, gnomes already have that uncomfortable association so combine it with some of the other features of the nation and it sticks out more. Like House Kundarak, the dwarven bankers, were established as a house only with help from Zilargo and House Sivis. So its even worse than them being bankers, they are the hidden power behind the bankers. The gnomes controlling communication and book publishing doesn't help either. I'm a little rust on my Eberron lore, but don't they control the gem trade too? It's going to be an imperfect thing no matter what, just because I'd like to think no one is going to be terrible enough to have gnomes or dwarfs have fantasy blood libel, which you'd need for the horrible to really stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It should be noted that the reason Gnomes are the communications people in Ebberon is literally due to the old joke about tiny people living inside your TV set.

I'm not actually joking, the dude who wrote the setting has confirmed this in an interview. One of the initial brainstorming sessions for the setting was literally them sitting around figuring out how you would mimic modern day technology using high fantasy D&D tropes, which lead to "there would be a gnome in a box talking to you!" kind of poo poo.

• Locked thread