Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Firefly's browncoats as good guys/union also fails on another historical parallel. The core planets were the industrial and population base, the browncoats were depicted as agriculturalists. Also, the South was at least as manifest destiny loving as the Union. One of the gripes that caused them to secede in the first place was the fear they wouldn't be able to spread slavery westward.

As much as I like Eberron, I always thought the depiction of Zilargo was just a little too close to some vicious Jewish stereotypes for comfort.

Edit: Goddamn spelling.

wallawallawingwang fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

bewilderment posted:

My exposure to Eberron is mostly that they're just secretive spy-gnomes and their House operates a messaging service. Other than the usual "dwarves/gnomes = jews" stereotypes in fantasy I'm not sure what's supposed to be overly Jewish about them. Considering that Zilargo geographically is a silo-ed off part of Breland, I'm almost convinced that Keith Baker's own Eberron homebrew doesn't even include gnomes at all.

On the other hand, secretive wealthy conspiracy The Aurum, who have their base in the Mror Holds, the dwarven homeland, are made up of mostly dwarves and humans, and try to control the world through money...

Well like you said, gnomes already have that uncomfortable association so combine it with some of the other features of the nation and it sticks out more. Like House Kundarak, the dwarven bankers, were established as a house only with help from Zilargo and House Sivis. So its even worse than them being bankers, they are the hidden power behind the bankers. The gnomes controlling communication and book publishing doesn't help either. I'm a little rust on my Eberron lore, but don't they control the gem trade too? It's going to be an imperfect thing no matter what, just because I'd like to think no one is going to be terrible enough to have gnomes or dwarfs have fantasy blood libel, which you'd need for the horrible to really stick.

• Locked thread