Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wallawallawingwang posted:

Firefly's browncoats as good guys/union also fails on another historical parallel. The core planets were the industrial and population base, the browncoats were depicted as agriculturalists. Also, the South was at least as manifest destiny loving as the Union. One of the gripes that caused them to succeed in the first place was the fear they wouldn't be able to spread slavery westward.

As much as I like Eberron, I always thought the depiction of Zilargo was just a little too close to some vicious Jewish stereotypes for comfort.

My exposure to Eberron is mostly that they're just secretive spy-gnomes and their House operates a messaging service. Other than the usual "dwarves/gnomes = jews" stereotypes in fantasy I'm not sure what's supposed to be overly Jewish about them. Considering that Zilargo geographically is a silo-ed off part of Breland, I'm almost convinced that Keith Baker's own Eberron homebrew doesn't even include gnomes at all.

On the other hand, secretive wealthy conspiracy The Aurum, who have their base in the Mror Holds, the dwarven homeland, are made up of mostly dwarves and humans, and try to control the world through money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dwarves generally get the short shrift in Eberron. I've read the original campaign setting for it more than once and I couldn't tell you anything more about them than:
- Their home nation is the Mror Holds, but they originally came from the Frostfell (northern arctic region)
- They have a Dragonmarked house, probably the one of Warding?
- The Aurum conspiracy has their headquarters in their homeland
- They have a sweet giant head carved into a mountain, and there's an illustration of it

Couldn't tell you a thing about dwarf society.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DnD elfiness doesn't make too much sense in any way generally. You have dark elf, sun elf, sea elf, wood elf, high elf, probably desert elf somewhere (besides just Valenar Elves in Eberron who have no special stats). We don't have dark human, wood human, high human, because that would be, uh, maybe using the word 'race' back in its original definition in an unpleasant way.

• Locked thread