Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Recently I got turned on to a game called Wild West Exodus. I can't stop thinking about wanting to play this game. The rules seem cool, I like the sales model, and the theme is right up my alley. However, I'm turned off by the fluff. Here's what I'm talking about :

Sitting Bull is a werewolf

Ulysses S Grant is Doctor Doom

Gustav Eiffel is a villain

In addition, the Confederacy is painted as sympathetic (they adopted emancipation and are trying to stop the power-hungry Union forces who are obsessed with manifest destiny).

I'm torn on this. I am considering just getting some of the basic Lawmen and Outlaws factions, which are much more silver screen heroes and villains, but would I be indirectly (or directly) supporting racism? When is it the right move not to play a game with fun rules and great models taken out of context? I mean these aren't super misogynistic like Kingdom Death, nor are they just straight up gross, but because the fluff exists I'm still on the fence. I'm used to seeing just outright disgustingly wrong minis, but I'm not sure how to go with something that is wrong because of the ideas they represent. They don't have slave models, but the game's fluff sweeps the racism of the confederacy under the rug, and most of the criticism I read about the handling of Native Americans in this game is less about treating them as dumb savages and more about insensitivity to the importance of differences between tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be buying any of it, thinking more about it. Such a shame they ruin a good game with really stupid story and stereotypes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

I'm not familiar with the fluff behind the Indians for WW Exodus, but aren't they the "mystic spiritual" type of Indian? Plus it looks like they have a Spanish / Mexican faction where the troops are dirt farmers in huge sombreros? Ehh.

Yeah, they've definitely got some kind of spirit animal magic going on. I don't really get what the conquistadors are even doing in that time period, either other than supposedly looking for the fountain of youth, but I think Ponce de Leon had been dead for like 200 years at the time of the civil war.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

drat that's some deep poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

And here I was concerned that a steampunk alternate history setting might be considered offensively revisionist. Holy crap Shadowrun

• Locked thread