Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I think this would be fantastic if it were done correctly.

Rather than "inherently greedy and evil," a broader discussion of different value priority and alternate logic would make for a fascinating role play experience. At a certain point there will always be commonalities (i.e. my dog is very different from me, but she still wants food, a warm place to sleep, companionship, etc.), but it would be interesting to play someone who doesn't have a concept of separateness from other people, or experiences the world mainly through electrolocation rather than visually, or (to steal an example from online) will never take off his bird mask under any circumstances.

But pulling it off? That's the trick. That's always the trick.

One of the players in my current Inverse World game is playing a creature from Outside, the nebulous dimension/space/location/set of alternate physical laws that exists beyond the Worldcrust. Outsiders in our game are basically fragments of a single existential mind, individual thoughts and extensions that "eat" by convincing other fragments to join their collective, "breed" by splitting apart when they're too big and incoherent, and "die" when they're sufficiently discorporated that all the pieces that made them what they were are in separate locations. When a fragment is shoved into Invells, they're forced to maintain a single shape if they want to function at all in the Inside's alien set of laws, all of reality seems to be made of hideous, discordant notes instead of a single symphony, and all living things on the Inside having individuality is nearly incomprehensible. Some accidentally fall through the cracks of the Worldcrust and get stuck, but most are summoned in because wizards are assholes and want pet murder machines, or use their bizarre, reality-warping existence to fuel certain kinds of magical artifacts, which is decidedly unpleasant for the Outsider. Imagine having your frame of existence ripped open to comprehend everything Azathoth does, only it's the other way around and Azathoth is being squeezed into entirely too few dimensions like some sort of hosed up eldritch bonsai kitten. Fragments desperately want to go home, but rarely have the ability to without help from Insiders, and their panicked, unwitting flailing usually manifests as horrific mind-shattering violence when freed of bondage, which makes everybody Inside think that the Outside is some horrible nightmare universe of pain and violence populated by eldritch demons that can only be forced to obey, which means they treat Outsiders with violence and domination, which means the Outsiders panic and act out...

My player's character is a Collector fluffed as a set of fragments that manifests as a cloud of darkness and cuttlefish eyes, wrapped up in elaborate bandages, robes, masks, and magic seals to keep coherent and disguise itself as roughly human. It's actually managed to figure out how to communicate with Insiders in a way that doesn't drive them insane, which let it (or her, as it's treated as vaguely feminine) start going around disguised as a peddler of strange wares, buying up wayward Outsider artifacts and absorbing their fragments into herself as a living ark that she intends to take back to the Outside. She also hopes that her experiences will teach the Outside mind how the Inside works so any that get accidentally stuck Inside can avoid problems in the future.

If my players can write loving :krad: races that leave room for dramatic conflict based on misunderstandings without being racist as gently caress, then so can professional-rear end writers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread