Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ronwayne posted:

On topic: Has anyone mentioned the Shadowrun Orcs=Black People thing? Because jesus christ. :psyduck: (Complete with mechanical enforcement of inferior intelligence, lifespan, and charisma)

I know that lifespan, and I think intelligence and charisma, are justified in-universe as Orcs and Trolls being second class citizens and so not having access to the same education, healthcare and career opportunities that the 'pretty' races do. So it's not that your orc is genetically stupid, but that he was auto-rejected from Harvard when they saw the tusks on his application and he dies younger because he can't afford dialysis.

So it's intended to be more like commentary on real-world racial politics than reinforcing stereotypes. But it could be handling it poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
What is the context on those Shadowrun ones? Because to me, it comes off like it's written in-universe by a racial apologist. Like, it's supposed to seem super racist and show you how people see orcs, rather than how they actually are. Like Ronwayne said about 'Zimmerman did nothing wrong'. It's the right analogy - You can shoot an orc and get away with it, because 'the streets were his weapon'.

• Locked thread