Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Australian bush is one step away from being kindling.
Why eat it raw when the materials to make fire are so plenty?

Id say eating it raw is the mark of a bad survivalist :colbert:.

What if it's a day of total fire ban? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

grumplestiltzkin posted:

That's also the reason why when I was overseas I'd just order whatever looked good without trying to get a translation. I've eaten and enjoyed things that I never would have eaten if I had known what was in it.
If there's food in front of you that looks, smells and tastes good, but learning what it is makes you not eat it, you are a child. Either literally or figuratively.

Where can I buy this? I'd probably only eat it once, but I want to try it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Exemption for "human" or no?

OK, yes, if it's something that you find immoral, or if it's poison, or if you're allergic to it, or whatever, fine. If it's just something that's perfectly edible and doesn't violate any deeply held convictions but is something you wouldn't normally eat, you're a child. If you take a bite of some unknown food, like it, and ask what it is, don't stop eating it because it turns out to be insects or testicles or whatever. You just found out that something you assumed was disgusting is actually nice, that's a good thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with maccas eggs (at least down here). If that had a slice of tinned beetroot then it would be a "burger with the lot" that any independent burger restaurant will serve.
It's missing the tomato, and being McDonald's is probably that awful bread they use rather than a normal roll. Probably processed cheese too.

Koivunen posted:

I grew up with my dad making goulash with various ingredients a few times a week. Hot dish was typically for "fancier" occasions like when company was coming over or holidays or whatnot.
So, the one that looks like an ordinary pasta dish that anyone would eat is the plain everyday one, and the one made with tater tots is the special fancy one? :psyduck:

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm totally down with eggs but I can't fathom why you would put beetroot, of all things, on a burger. That being said, I think I'm gonna give it a chance next time I'm burgering it up.
Pickled, not fresh. This is important.

Data Graham posted:

Yes, a "hamburger steak" or "hamburger" is a very specific thing, a patty of ground beef

And a "hamburger sandwich" is the thing on a roll
A "hamburger sandwich" is a tautology.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

- Sour cream?

Is that what it is? I was thinking meringue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I know for sure there's a tin of Spam in my parents' fridge that my best friend gave me no later than 1991. :gonk:

Spam isn't scary, it's just incredibly bland and very salty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vic posted:

Pizza is healthy. Nothing about pizza is unhealthy unless you cram it in your face by pounds you fat gently caress.

I exist to say this to people.
Depends on the pizza.

Trent posted:

Bland is never a word I've heard used to describe Spam.

I do like a bit of spam from time to time, once or twice a year. Nostalgia, mostly, but I do enjoy it. I think it is quite a strong flavor.
I bought some last year to try it and found that, other than salt, it really didn't taste of much at all. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Seriously, what is this?

ErIog posted:

I don't understand why people think Doritos complement other foods.
I wouldn't use the flavoured ones as part of other food, but eating corn chips with other food is a completely normal thing to do. That's what corn chips are for. Do you not understand the appeal of nachos? That's not nachos, but it's relatively similar - tomato, meat, cheese, sour cream, corn chips.

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

getting drunk and crointing.
What is crointing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ErIog posted:

Doritos are substantially different from regular corn chips to the point that I'm confused why you would think I meant "corn chips" when I said "Doritos," specifically. I didn't say "corn chips" in general.

Different brands of chips vary in flavour and saltiness, there's nothing particularly unique about Doritos. Also salt is delicious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yes there is? Doritos of any kind are generally covered in a "cheesy" dust that you don't get from any other type of chip. they're very different from a standard potato chip or even other types of corn or tortilla chip

What? Plain Doritos just have salt, no cheese flavour. And cheese-flavoured corn chips are not unique to the Doritos brand. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

This, by contrast, looks alright. Okay, it's just toast with something like garlic butter and fishfingers, but that's got to be hard to gently caress up.
I love the toast sticking out the sides of so many of those photos, like it's their trademark style. :roflolmao:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Is this a weird thing? Literally every christmas, thanksgiving, and any other major holiday dinner where annoying relatives come over and eat all your food I've been to has had buttered peas or corn. For like three decades. Is this another case of the midwest skewing my perspective? :ohdear:
I think it's the fact that they're canned peas/corn that's the problem? I don't know though, I've never eaten canned peas or corn so I don't know if they're terrible or not.

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't overthink it, it's just weed, dude.
That definition is from Urban Dictionary and doesn't really make sense in this context. If a croint is a bad thing, why would someone be talking about an "awesome night of Crointing"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PeachHat! posted:

Also, Tiggum, what magical wonderland are you from where you've never had to eat canned veg? :allears:

One where supermarkets exist? I eat canned tomatoes all the time, but most fruit or vegetables I get either fresh or frozen (peas and corn almost always frozen). I've seen canned vegetables in supermarkets, but I've never eaten them. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Canned green beans were ok, frozen had fresher texture but a squeakiness when chewing.
Mmmm, squeaky beans are great.

EZipperelli posted:

Any type of "salad," (save for the salad consisting of lettuce, dressing, etc) is absolutely disgusting. 99% of the time it's just stupid amounts of mayo, mixed with random ingredients.
There are tons of salads other than garden that don't have mayonnaise. Two of my favourites are four-bean mix and salad onion with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and grated carrot, cheese and apple. And even the types that do have mayonnaise are fine as long as you don't use too much.

pienipple posted:

I find frozen vegetables tend to be mushy.
That should only be the case if they're frozen slowly. Flash frozen vegetables are generally fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Minarch posted:

Have you ever tried just raw tomatoes blended up?
Uh, yes? Why do you think that would be a bad thing?

mostlygray posted:

Mayo is necessary on a sandwich or a burger, not as a flavoring, but as a blocker on the top and bottom layers. It stops any liquids from soaking into the bread.
You put mayonnaise one every sandwich? That is insane.

The Ferret King posted:

Sometimes I see food debates pop up in threads about "buttering" sandwiches, and I often wonder...

I'm in the US, and I would either use mustard, mayo, or both on my bread for most basic deli meat sandwiches. Folks from Europe or other areas chime in on threads saying that's sacrilege, and that normal people "butter" their bread for sandwiches. This usually results in pages of debate where I think everyone's misunderstanding each other. So my question is:

What do folks around Europe put on their bread for sandwiches, if anything. Does "buttering" mean actual butter, as in churned cow's cream? Or something else? I could totally see the word being used as slang for any kind of spread put on sandwich bread.
Sometimes refers to margarine (or other butter substitute), but yes, actual butter. Why would you not put butter on a sandwich? Even if you're putting mayonnaise or mustard on, you start with butter. Don't you? What do you think butter is for?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I love that the brand name is SANITARIUM.
It's called that because it was started by Edward Halsey, a baker who had (before moving to Australia) worked at John Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium, the same Kellogg who invented corn flakes. :eng101:

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

American who loves marmite checking in. I lived with a bunch of Brits for six months and I got hooked. So good on toast with a bit of butter. :kimchi: The soy sauce comparison is spot on, it just tastes like yummy umami goodness.
That would be UK Marmite though, which is actually a different product to Aus/NZ Marmite. They're relatively similar - in the same way that Vegemite is also relatively similar, meaning that to someone who likes either one they're totally different and that other one is garbage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

im pooping! posted:

It's a liability issue in a lot of chain restaurants. Same goes with burgers

Burgers I can understand, because they're basically all surface area, but what's the problem with rare steak? The outside is definitely cooked, and that's the bit you've got to worry about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

I don't remember seeing this posted in the thread, but I thought you guys might be interested.
The Big Max

Why does the system even allow you to add 10x anything? Even if you just went with a normal burger and, say, 10x bacon, it would already be ridiculous. 4x is probably the practical limit for any ingredient. :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Turfahurf posted:

I have tomorrow off and just plan on getting high and playing video games all day. I have a can of tuna and a frozen pizza, I might try the tuna pizza.

Put some peas and corn on there too. It'll be great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I mean geez, can I interest you in a peanut butter sandwich too? Hold the jelly, yes of course.

You say this like as though a peanut-butter sandwich is a weird thing no one would eat. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In what way is that a "taco sandwich" as opposed to just a taco? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm really interested in where 'down here' is that didn't have regular tortillas.

Fo3 is wrong anyway, we've definitely had tacos and tortillas for a lot longer than 7 years. Also, flat-bottomed tacos are a gimmick that one company does, not some weird Australian way to make them. And I don't know what he means about Mexican food not being big here, because just about every supermarket seems to have a "Mexican" section. Even if the pre-packaged spices in "taco kits" or jars of salsa or whatever aren't "authentic" it's not like you can't get the ingredients to just make stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

How do you gently caress up as a parent and not introduce your children to eating fruit so that they love it?
Probably just by not choosing good fruit. Under or overripe fruit can be sour or bitter or otherwise unpleasant, and some fruit can be an acquired taste even when it's good.

pentyne posted:

It's telling that picky eaters are almost 100% fatty, fast food eaters. No picky eater only eats rice and bell peppers, or just eats healthy food, it's always pizza, fries, pasta fatty foods, sugary treats, etc.
That's pretty common, but some people just only eat bland foods (eg. rice, potato, chicken breast). And some people eat perfectly healthy stuff, just a really small variety of things because that's all they're used to. And some people just aren't all that interested in food, so they're happy to just eat the same thing all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fliptophead posted:

Why did they grill them?

To melt the cheese, presumably.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Passion fruit looks like some alien lifeform's eggs but it's delicious so I totally would. Unsure about the vegan ice cream though, so substitute real dairy for it and it's golden.

"Banana ice cream" is literally just frozen, mashed bananas. It's not ice cream, but it's not anything bad. The bit I'd question is why are the passion fruit skins in the bowl?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rah! posted:

We have those too. And hot dogs. Checkmate Austrailures :smug:

Fo3 is insane. Hotdogs are readily available and popular in Australia. They're probably more popular in America, but Fo3 seems to live in some weird corner of the country where ordinary foods don't exist for some reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The correct way to cook hotdogs is to stick them in boiling water until you think they're probably hot enough, and preferably get them out before they split. They're garbage food, they don't deserve anything more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Famous food idiot Pete Evans has written a book that might kill children.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haverchuck posted:

whats with those hot dogs with the fire engine red casings? do people buy those?

They're normal hot dogs, so yes? What do you think hot dogs should look like?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There better not be any anchovies on that. And I mean, NO anchovies. You put anchovies on this thing and you're in big trouble, okay?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

amityville anus posted:

Ketchup on a burger is good.
Ketchup on a hotdog is bad.
Somehow you got these backwards. :confused:

C.P.A.N. posted:

Process cheese exists because it melts easily. That is literally why it's made (thanks Food Network). If I'm in a situation where I want melty cheese then it's process cheese all the way. Grilled cheese, cheeseburgers, toasted Subway sub all get American Cheese.
Why wouldn't you just use colby or havarti or something? Those melt fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

it's a word describing cake that is yellow, more commonly referred to as white cake. The opposite of chocolate cake.
What, just any pale-coloured cake? Or do you think there are only two varieties of cake, chocolate and not-chocolate?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Those are typically the standard ones, yes. I am aware of the other varieties, but a very common question before birthdays etc is "white or chocolate"?

But what sort of cake is it? And what flavour is "white"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well, now I'm even more confused. I had assumed that if any sort of cake would be a generic "white" or "yellow cake" it would be a sponge, and the pictures in that article seemed to confirm that, but then it says "White cake has a very light, almost sponge cake-like texture, whereas yellow cake has a moister and denser texture." Then again, it also says "Wedding cakes are frequently white cakes" and wedding cakes are fruit cake, so who even knows what it's talking about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have had 2 bites of fruitcake my entire life. Once when I was 8 at my grandmother's for Xmas. It was horrible. And the last time at my then girlfriend's house because, "You may think you don't like fruitcake, but that's because you haven't had my mom's! It's amazing! Trust me, just try it! My whole family loves it!" It was just as bad. Fruitcake should be banished from this earth. Why couldn't Hitler have done something constructive and direct his hatred towards that?
I don't understand why the entire nation of America seems to hate fruitcake. Are you all making it wrong?

empty sea posted:

I've had fruit cake exactly once, at Christmas in Newfoundland. My boyfriend's grandma had soaked it in rum for a month or so and they lit it on fire for dessert, then served it with clotted cream. It was loving delicious. Warm, dense and deeply flavorful with chunks of fruit, a hint of rum in the heavy cake and then the cream added a nice finishing touch. I don't know if she bought some store cake and then soaked it in rum or made it herself but goddamn ya'll.

I will accept no other version of fruit cake. That poo poo was beyond magical. If I was still in a relationship with him, I'd beg the recipe so I could eat it all the time.
That sounds more like Christmas pudding. Which is also great, but a different thing to normal fruitcake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Dark chocolate is fine but there's something wrong with you if you can't appreciate the taste of good quality milk chocolate (i.e. not hersheys).

Milk chocolate is mostly just sweet. I don't mind milk chocolate, and it can go nicely with nuts or whatever, but on its own it's just not particularly good. Dark chocolate is actually nice enough to eat by itself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tonight's dinner.

I didn't want to go to the shops, so I just had a look at what was already in the house. Frozen vegetables, chicken nuggets, some grated cheese. Add some milk, herbs, garlic, tabasco. Good enough when I'm just cooking for myself.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Jun 10, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Although I've heard that if you're super lucky they might try to make you lovely poutine with fake cheese at lord of the fries

Fake gravy, too. Lord of the Fries is just terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Why would a restaurant name itself after a book about murderous children :psyduck:
My guess is they were looking for a name, realised that "fries" sounds like "flies" and then didn't think any more about it.

Wasabi the J posted:

IDK but if they don't have a pork-based poutine dish called Piggy, they're loving up.
They're vegetarian, so they definitely don't. They sell fake-beef and fake-chicken burgers and "vegetarian hotdogs" (whatever that means) and "nuggets" that are made of something that definitely isn't chicken but is terrible. Their chips aren't even particularly good, and they cover them in way too much sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Is it salt for chicken, or salt that makes things taste like chicken?

No.

When the person at the fish and chip shop asks if you want chicken salt, what they're really asking is "would you like me to ruin these chips for you?" Chicken salt is bad.

• Locked thread