Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Seems like you wanna head to the pacific if you wanna eat a bunch of raw, living "food"

Canadian Inuit traditionally eat Caribou Warbles (qumak) , you have to pick them out of the skin before tanning anyway.

They're not eaten much anymore though. It's more like something your Grandparents, or parents did/do. My cousin is much older than me, in his 60s, and remembers kids and one of his teacher doing so when skinning Caribou at residential school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Sorry for the double post

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Ain't you never heard of cornbread

That reminds me of the first time I made corn bread in Inuvik. When I bought the corn meal, the cashier asked if I was having a dance. I confusedly said no. Months later I went to a dance in Tuk, and low and behold, they spread cornmeal on the floor to help their feet glide for jigging. I asked my family about it and only people from south had ever heard of using corn meal in cooking. My step-niece thought corn bread was bread dough with corn kernels mixed in it, like savoury raisin bread . Later my cousin was giving a pizza crust recipe to some one over the phone and heard her say, "Corn meal? It's the stuff you put on the floor when your going to dance."

As for nasty looking food muskrat, while fairly tasty it pretty disconcerting to look at, what with it smiling at you when it come out of the oven.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

cash crab posted:

Prices from up north.

Ahhh, good 'ol Northern. It seems no matter how much time I spend up north food prices still make me wince. I will never forget the first time I picked up lunch in Inuvik and paid more for an apple than a can of Coke. Wrapping gifts in store flyers for family south is always fun, when I ask about the gift they always want to talk about the $20 cheese on sale.

Anyway, this stupid stuffed burger dog has be all over my Facebook, and every one seems to agree that it looks "amaze-balls" but I'm not so certain.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Scathach posted:

Does anyone else's family make "fairy Jello" or whatever the hell it is? It's like chunks of jello and fruit and a ton of that crappy fake whipped cream stuff blended together.

My Aunt always makes 'Pineapple Delight'. Red Jello, crushed pineapple, and Cool Whip mixed together with graham cracker crumbs on top. It tends to leave an odd oily film on the roof of your mouth. I imagine that there will be a salad bowl of it at tomorrow's dinner.

• Locked thread