Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't get the controversy over mayo vs. butter. One is a suspension of egg yolks in fat, the other is a suspension of milk solids in fat. Both sides are doing the same thing, smearing a flavored fat on their sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I have to ask, is this the same sugary tomato glop we call ketchup, or is it actual somewhat tart tomato-and-nothing-else sauce that resembles what we call tomato sauce, or is it something else entirely?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's ketchup, but a tiny but sweeter.

Ehhh... I was honestly hoping it was straight tomato sauce, I think the combination would work better. But to each their own, y'know, I'm sure I could horrify plenty of Australians with the things I put ketchup on.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

pentyne posted:

Is there any good version of bologna? I assume the original Italian variety is the best, but it seems like the term is a catch all for horrifically cheap sliced meat. I bought a cheap pack of cotto salami made by Kraft and on the front it says "Made from chicken, beef, and pork" and in the ingredients label is says "chicken, beef hearts, pork" so technically yes, its made with beef.

Mortadella is pretty good stuff.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Simple Simon's calzones and stromboli is p. legit. Shame the closest one to me is a three hour drive.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I just stumbled across all four of the new Lays chip flavors while on break, and decided to taste test them instead of working. Photos and commentary later, when I'm not phone posting, but in brief: greektown gyro = beef ramen noodle.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, so on my lunch break, I found a display with all of the new Lays flavors. So I grabbed one of each, plus a friend and her twelve year old son, and wasted an hour taste testing that I should have been working.

Oh yeah.

First up: New York Reuben:

To me, it tasted beefy, but lacking in the proper nitrate taste of corned beef. Definite notes of ketchup and pickle relish, with an unpleasant sourness that must have been an attempt at sauerkraut. Yeasty finish. My friend stated that the yeasty rye-ness they were going for was unpleasant and overwhelming, and that the chip was overall far too heavily flavored. Her son said it tasted like an overdone sandwich.

On a 1-10 scale: me, 4, her, 2, her son, 3.

Next: Greektown Gyro:

It straight up tastes of beef ramen noodles, and not even the good ones, but the cheap off-brands you buy at the Dollar Store. Both she and her son agreed, with her also noting an aftertaste of sour cream. None of us cared for it at all.

Me, 1, her, 1, her son, 2.

Next: Southern Biscuits and Gravy:

She was the most excited for this one, having heard rave reviews. It certainly smells just like biscuits and gravy. She said that there was a strong sage taste, like cheap breakfast sausage, and a slight creamy gravy note, and that it wasn't bad but not as good as she had hoped. I noted the creamy sweetness of properly made sawmill gravy, muted tones of sage but no meatiness, and all of it basically overwhelmed by the taste of potato. Her son gave no comment, but immediately devoured the rest of the bag.

Me, 3, her, 6, her son an obvious 10.

Last: West Coast Truffle Fries:

Right off the bat, it smelled like sour cream and onion. The flavors of SC&O were muted to me, but there was a definite earthy, mushroomy flavor that I can only assume was truffle (having never tasted a truffle myself). She noted the earthiness as well, but said that the SC&O flavor was strong as well. She also said that she was leery of it before, but having tasted it she could see herself eating an entire bag. Her son stated that it was just a chip to him.

Me, 5, her, 9, her son, 3

So, overall, she liked the truffle fries, her son loved the biscuits and gravy, and I was overall sadly disappointed with all of them.

Now, on another note, my favorite part of this taste test:

Full Throttle Blue Demon. The energy drink from Coca-Cola set up as the rival to Mt. Dew Amp. I've drank these for years, ever since they first came out. Of a special note, it's missing that energy drink aftertaste, what I call "Flintstones Vitamins Taste", that other energy drinks have. Since it doesn't include guarana in it's formulation, I'm assuming that the Flintstones Vitamins taste is from that. That aftertaste turns me off of any other energy drink.

It's very sweet, with an almost floral nose, and a decided cactus taste. Refreshing. If they would cut the caffeine, bottle it, and sell it at the price point of other sodas, it would easily be my absolute favorite soda. Highly recommended.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My go-to night shift solution was to slam a Full Throttle as soon as I clocked in, a Five Hour Energy chased with another Full Throttle at 2 am or so, and one more Full Throttle chasing four ibuprofen at 5 am. This plus two liters or so of Dr. Pepper throughout the night.

e. And if we were out of Full Throttle, then Monsters as fast as I could chug them, doing my best not to taste them.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

5-hour energy flavor review:

Grape: the saddest, worst grape. Like eating a fake grape from a plastic floral decoration.

Berry: Worse than grape. Far, far worse. Like someone once described a strawberry to a cannibal.

Pink Lemonaide: Lemony, but with a pink urinal puck aftertaste.

Lemon-Lime: Lemon Pledge. Tolerable, if only just.

Sour Apple: neither sour nor apple, but you can believe the flavor did indeed come from some sort of tree

Fruit Punch: Red Kool-Aid, thinned with bleach.

Orange: Not bad. Actual orange, not artificial orange.

Pomegranate: :smithicide:

All accompanied by the burning chemical flavor of aspartame, in doses that came full-circle back from cancer-giving, becoming chemotherapy from the wrong direction.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Always serve chilled.

Alright, if I can find a store selling Mexican snack food, I'm buying some.

And then for shits and giggles I'll buy a crapload of Mexican candy and effortpost again.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Add some refried beans or elotes, toast that tortilla, and for fucks sake learn how color balance works, and that's a legit plate of carnitas.

Seriously, 90% of everything wrong in this thread is the photographer not knowing a loving thing about basic post-processing. (The other 10%, well, that's why I come to this thread.)

e.

That was 30 seconds worth of work, and now it actually looks edible.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Aug 31, 2015

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm tempted to post this absolutely delicious liverwurst on whole wheat with pickle, onion, swiss and hot brown mustard I just built, because goddamn it looks terrible.

On the whole, though, my kitchen is a loving disaster and I'm hungry.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone on my instagram posted this one.

That 'butter' though. And does no one own any real dishes anymore?

Wait - I know why those beans look familiar!

They are legitimately pretty good, which is something you can't say for most stuff out of a can.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Some people just have to be pedantic fuckers.

BRB, gas station microwave burrito trip report in the style of the Revelations of St. John the Apostle as translated by Charles Dickens and Michael Bay in the works.

e. Or J.R.R. Tolkien and Laurell K. Hamilton, or Hunter S. Thompson and a small collection of Norwegian power metal songwriters. I haven't made my mind up yet.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Sep 16, 2015

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

And when I opened the seal on the green chile and bean burrito with "New Fresh Flavor!", the voice of the fourth beast did say "Come and see!" And I looked, and beheld a white tortilla, and he who sat on the tortilla was named Gastrointestinal Discomfort, and diarrhea followed after. And power was given unto it over the fourth part of my bowels, to kill with flatulence, and gall-bladder discomfort, and anal leakage, and fire from my hole. And lo, there was thunder made upon my throne, and a earthquake followed, and a third of the bowl became browned as a sackcloth of hair, and my anus leaked blood.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

RJWaters2 posted:

TRIP REPORT

Results: I made this and ate it and regret it

"And when I had opened the third sealed can, I heard the third beast say, "Come and see." And I beheld, and lo a green-sauced horse; and he that sat on him was named Walmart, and he carried a sign saying "Low Prices, Every Day" in his hand. Power was given to him that sat thereon to take the wages from the poor, and that they should work two jobs: and there was given unto him a great sword to slash prices. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, "A bag of petrochemical substitute cheez product for $2.50, what a great deal! Five-pound chubs of ammonia processed beef slime for fifteen bucks, man "beef" is expensive these days. El Monterey bean and cheese burritos aren't bad for lunch! And see thou hurt not the fruit and vegetable aisle."

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Sep 17, 2015

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Olives don't go with anything except the garbage.

You're in luck, that's pretty much where they went.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pretty sure it isn't semen, so... What else could it be? Banana-onion pudding? Puree of durian?

White and creamy and on food and not semen = mayo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Melted string cheese. That's it.

Oh... oh holy poo poo, I know what my next trip report shall be.

The Chupaqueso

It's a food item invented by a webcomic artist. It's perfect for this thread.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

titties posted:

Coffee

Ingredients:
roasted, ground coffee beans
water

Preparation:

Heat water to 190 degrees F
Add 2-4 scoops coffee to coffee press
Pour water into press, stir
Allow to steep for 4 - 8 minutes
Press
Pour on ground
Drink anything else

THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE

FTFY.

Also gently caress coffee.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, man, Coke and peanuts, that takes me back. I almost had that horrible memory repressed, so thanks everyone for reminding me.

I loved my grandfather, but that man had the worst taste in food ever...

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of Subway, I like to get a double meat cheese steak footlong, and the only veggies I put on it is onion, bell pepper and banana pepper. Usually, I tell the person making the sandwich to give me lots of all three, which gets me a light sprinkling of veggies. But once, when I had a "sandwich artist' who had completely ran out of fucks to give that day, I got a massive load of veggies, more veggies than meat on that sandwich (and being that it was a double-meat cheese steak, holy gently caress!). It was glorious.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Foam is not a food. It can be on my beer, used to shave with or to put out a fire, But it is never to be considered a food.

Angel food cake is literally a baked egg foam.

Also, tacos drat well do have rules. If it's in a tortilla that's not completely wrapped around the filling, then it's a taco. If the tortilla is completely wrapped around the filling, then it's a burrito. If it's not a tortilla, then it's a sandwich.

As for the contents, on the other hand, go hog wild.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

I try not to take a hard line, but this is just wrong. If we leave that cake sitting for more than 3 minutes it will not return to a liquid state. And the first one of you fuckers to bring up mousse I will drown in a vat of meringue. Capish?

I will create an edible bubble bath. Just for you.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yes. Yes, you made good waffles. You made the best waffles. :3:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of ranch dressing, in high school the cafeteria had really fantastic homemade rolls, and we would rip a hole in them, toss in a heaping spoonful of bacon bits, and pump a couple of squirts of ranch dressing too. Sometimes I get cravings for one of those horrors, but it's just not the same unless you're using the most artificial soy-flour based bacon bits and the cheapest institutional ranch dressing you can buy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Is that the legendary Arby's Meat Mountain? If so, would!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

mds2 posted:

What does a meat mountain cost these days?

I don't know, I've never had one. I should rectify that the next time I make a trip to Amarillo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I've put a lot of unpleasant looking things in various orifices, but I have to draw the line at putting live bugs in my mouth.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Looks like buckwheat pancakes, with semen some sort of white sauce.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Would.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Supposedly cooked spiders taste like shrimp, so might.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

As lovely as school lunches were, they were still usually better than what I got fed at home. :smith:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Pomp posted:

My dad was a decent cook considering our budget, but he has no concept of getting what you pay for so much the only thing I could qualify as "good" was stir fried chicken. For some reason him and grandma thought microwaved meat loaf was a good idea, and it put me off the stuff the better part of two decades.

There are three things I will never be able to eat again: Mac and Cheese and tuna, Stroganoff Hamburger Helper, and the laziest spaghetti ever (boil noodles until mushy, drain, add an unheated can of the cheapest marinara sauce, stir, serve with plain white bread).

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

cash crab posted:

I do this with canned fish,

:barf:

13Pandora13 posted:

Fried chicken biscuit + a bit of honey or jam + hot sauce loving owns.

Same, but hot mustard in place of hot sauce.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Topical and it loving belongs in this thread

When I worked in a convenience store, the typical friday night Hispanic male purchase was a 20 pack of Bud Light, two Powerades, and one of these. Apparently it's considered a hangover cure.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

A 20 pack? The hell?

The grocery shrink ray meets the case of beer. If you want your beer in colored cardboard with marketing material and sales prices attached, then the biggest package is a 20-pack of longnecks or a 30-pack of cans. Some places still sell an entire case of bottles, but then what you're getting is a brown cardboard box of four 6-packs with no pretty packaging.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

30 racks of bud and grape swisher sweets, the stuff a trashy youth's dreams are made of... Take me back!

Nights partying with Cheyenne-Arapaho indians, 30's of MGD and cherry Black and Milds filled with the shittiest Oklahoma ditch-weed you could find. Oh my wasted youth :allears:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Speaking of beer in grocery stores, soon my local grocery store will be stocking beer. As in on Tuesday. I will try to find the shittiest one I can for the thread to laugh at me.

That'll get you started down the path of hobo beer.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I also only drink beer named after professional wrestlers.

A general rule of thumb, the easier it is to play WWE or Malt Liquor, the worse it will taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

King Cobra is awesome and is god-tier among malt beverages. Another good choice is Olde English, and that bad boy can be purchased in a 64oz bottle. But, for the truly adventurous who want to fully experience ghetto/hobo drinking, might I suggest the flavored fortified wine Night Train? It tastes just like it is described and will put you to sleep on a park bench in the middle of a Chicago winter with a beautiful warm numbness that can only be described by a poet.

This man has seen some poo poo while in the throes of DTs.

• Locked thread