Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a modification of NetImmerse by Bethsoft.

You are. Gamebryo was developed from NetImmerse, but not by Bethsoft. A handful of other games used it (including one of mine, made during a games course where they taught us using Gamebryo. Then Gamebryo went out of business. Oh well.)

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wondered if Guacamelee was racist myself. Then I stumbled on a really good GDC talk by the lead concept artist, a Mexican gent by the name of Augusto Quijano, basically explaining how he wanted to make the visuals all about what he loved about Mexican culture, folklore and tradition. So it's a intended as a celebration, not mockery, and designed by a Mexican dude. So I'm going to go with "not racist".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

flatluigi posted:

The only person in this thread who actually said they thought Guacamelee was racist was Hyperlynx and I think that wasn't even serious, just a segue into the talk by a dev. Other than that there's someone who mistook it for an actually racist game (Lococycle) and someone else who went "no, goons have said it's racist at some point in history somewhere."

Good job smoking out this guy though, i'm sure he has much more lovely things to say on the subject

As it happens, before I saw that vid I honestly wasn't sure.

I'm Australian. I don't know Mexico from a bar of soap. It's literally the other side of the world. The only notion I have of Mexico is the pop culture stereotype: tequila, day of the dead, lucadores, spanish-named food, big moustaches, sombreros and ponchos - more or less how Guacemelee depicts it. So, being utterly ignorant of the context, I really wasn't sure if that was some kind of offensive caricature, since it fit the stereotype. I don't really want to support people being jerks, even if it's not my fight or my business. Happily it turned out not to be the case here.

Like Speed Gonzales being a stereotype, but celebrated in Latin America because he's a hero

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Dec 26, 2015

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sierra's old Space Quest was full of these moments. Actually, I think all the old Sierra adventure games were jokes at the expense of the player.

What comes to mind is early in SQ1 when you need to get to a shuttle to escape your doomed starship. The path to the shuttle happens to be windy, over an abyss. If you just click "walk" on the shuttle, the player character just walks right towards it and plunges to his death, and the game mocks you for being such an idiot. So, to get past this puzzle, all you need to do is click only where the path is and guide the PQ to the shuttle. Deliberately obnoxious.

In a similar vein: practically the whole of The Neverhood. Most of the puzzles require changing some device to some fixed setting, but you just need to know the right combination to proceed. Worse, the game doesn't allow you to brute-force the combination, but instead forces you to find the place where the solution is displayed.

There's also the part where you have to collect a series of video tapes to proceed. One of the tapes is at the end of the Hall of Records, which is some 20-30 screens telling the backstory of the Neverhood. You don't have to read the whole story as written on the walls, but you do still have to plod through 30 odd screens, pick up the tape, then plod 30 screens back.

Neverhood really had a deep, heartfelt appreciation for trolling the player. There's only one point in the whole game where you can die. This point is a drain hole to oblivion. It's labelled all around with signs saying "DO NOT JUMP IN THE HOLE, YOU WILL DIE". Sure enough, if you jump in the hole, you fall into forever and it's THE END.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

im pooping! posted:

Stanley Parable is about developers trolling the player, not the other way around.

Well, that depends on what decisions you make. Sort of.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

princecoo posted:

I remember a mod for the original Operation Flashpoint (the grandaddy of the ARMA games), it was a total conversion and actually really good, it added a poo poo-tonne of new weapons, uniforms, vehicles and a whole singleplayer campaign. I think it was based around the Finnish Army?

Anyway, about halfway through the campaign, there is a mission where you're supposed to stand guard on a hill in a little makeshift bunker/tent and remain on watch at the edge of your FOB, from like 12am until dawn, at which point you get relieved by next shift.

This is exactly what happens.

There are a couple of points where a civilian vehicle will drive along the road down the hill and in/around the nearby town, and at one point 2 civvies park near a house, get out and go inside for a couple of hours, then leave, but that's it.

It's literally a mission that simulates what standing post is actually like. The game can be sped up (up to 4x real time, I think?) but even then it's still a real time hour of boredom.

It's brilliant because this is a FPS army game, you're expecting things to kick off at any moment, but they just... don't.

I really like that. In video games, missions "go wrong" almost every single time. It's nice when actually yeah, for a change everything went exactly as planned, nothing unusual happened, in fact we didn't even see the enemy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm not really sure whether this is developer trolling player or the other way around, but in one of the AvP games the final boss of the Predator missions is a human in one of those exosuit power loader things. All you have to do to beat him is cloak and then shoot him in the head with your speargun. He's got no way to see through the cloak, the cockpit is open, and the dude himself has no more HP than any other human so the speargun headshot is an instakill.

I have to say, I really appreciated that the grand finale of the Predator singleplayer campaign was just "yeah, nah *thwup* you're dead".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's nice to see people from the last continent of Fourecks can finally connect to L-space.

That is absolutely British, not Australian. "Kakking", "soft-bollocks" and "fanny" are the giveaways.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I couldn't decide which was sadder, the wannabe lad who was trying too hard in a post about videogames, or the super sheltered American who couldn't understand him

Then I turned the page and found the guy who was convinced it was Australian. Welp

Wow, qui cacata carta in vestri prandium?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Welp. I guess I've got egg on my face, then.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

social vegan posted:

so mario gets to the castle and then princess peach isn't princess peach she's the crabman (wop wopwop the crab sfx on the gameboy pierce the tense silence) the princess is in another castle miyamoto? more like miyamototroll

Your gimmick is poo poo.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hell there were people complaining that there were female soldiers in the game at all.

There's also an achievement for finishing a mission with a squad made entirely of women. I can't help but get the feeling this was put in specifically to troll MRAs.

But... the original game had female soldiers that were identically statted to male soldiers as well! They're criticising a remake for doing the same thing as the original :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HaB posted:

At least there's a lore reason for the boss recolor - he and the other 2 are all brothers. DemonBros. You think the statue guys look like ballsacks? I always called them turd demons. They look like poop.

The dragon butts tho. Yeah no idea. I'm too busy running past them to prevent my EYES FROM BLEEDING to really take a long look at them. That lava texture is the worst thing since worst things were even a thing.

As for more thread content:

Checked out the demo of Dying Light last night. I should preface this by saying that I really really wanted to like Dead Island, from the same developers, but I just....couldn't. Certain first-person engines are nausea inducing for me and I don't know why. I can't play Skyrim at all for this reason. Dead Island wasn't as bad - since I could play maybe 45 minutes before needing a break. But the clunky as poo poo combat, HP sponge/tank enemies and ridiculous weapon degradation stuff all sucked. Hard. And I was really trying to like it.

So I was hoping that in Dying Light they had learned from their mistakes. Eh. Sorta. The combat is still super clunky. Enemies still feel HP spongy. The weapon degradation is slightly improved and at least I don't have to go find a workbench to repair it. The engine is slightly less nausea inducing as I only felt slightly woozy after the hour of gameplay the demo had.

I think my biggest problem is: the zombies are a little too smart for you know....zombies. Even the basic mooks can see you from way too far of a distance and figure out a path to get to you even if it's complicated - which seems odd for theoretically "mindless" zombies. You get firecrackers which you are supposed to use as a distraction, but they don't work very well. You toss them in one direction and run in the other, look back, and most of the horde is coming after you anyway. The fast moving ones are even worse, since they will straight up dodge attacks and flip around like ninjas. Rotting corpses, flipping around like ninjas.

I guess all this can be handwaved away with "not zombies, but infected humans" and fine - but it's not like most non-infected humans are physically capable of jumping around like ninjas, zombie or no.

I only played a little bit of night time, but the "virals" or whatever they're called are pretty bullshit as well. The combat stamina system seems to make no sense either. I can parkour all around, jumping on top of cars and pulling up onto roofs and ledges and zip across trainyards, but I can't swing an axe 4 times without suddenly getting winded? I'm not asking for realism in my zombie simulator - but internal consistency would be nice.

Yeah so - won't be picking up the full version, methinks.

I will continue biding my time until Dark Souls III

Good choice. Dying light is mediocre. The gameplay's ok, but the storyline is loving stupid.

• Locked thread